So, I noticed recently a lot of episodes on WeTV have video corruption problem (the video pauses at a certain segment and never resumes).  I did think it was my internet connection.  So, watching the same video the next day... Nope the problem still there!

Since I'm a computer geek, I will spell out the problem here and also hope someone from Tencent reads this thread:  USB flash drives are the most unreliable things in the world!

I backup data alot to external USB drives.  I always ZIP the files up, so when they are copied to the external USB drive, I can do a CRC test to check if the files got copied properly without errors.  Too many times, I get a bad file check and have to recopy those files.   USB ports suck, they don't establish mechanically tight connections to devices.

So, it seems to me the video corruption on WeTV is caused by an employee using a USB flash drive to transfer files to the video web servers.  The employee thinks the file copied OK, but actually a bad USB connection caused the video to corrupt during the copy process.  To safeguard against such error, the employee only needs to do a file integrity check (MD5 SHA1 etc.) once it has been transferred to the video web server.  It only takes a few seconds to check a file and can save a big business like WeTV from driving customers away!

So far I found a solution to this problem, switch to 480p before the video breakage and back to high res after.  This seems to work as a band-aid solution...