In the sixth episode, there's a line that bugs me so much about Sang Eun: 

We tend to brush off Sang Eun's reactions because usually after such dialogues like this, she would inject some quirkiness. 

But I have a feeling there's something deeper here. 

Another instance: 

At first I was thinking maybe it is just because she is upset with Ji Ho so her responses tend that way, but if one would observe her in the past six episodes, she tends to act tough and hates sympathy. It almost feels like she is always on-guard about how she must be perceived. It feels like she's afraid to be seen weak and dependent, probably that is the reason why she chose her business, because it is her insecurity. 

So long as she could comply with the client's requirements, she feels like she's doing things right. In short, it's like her 'security blanket', something reassuring for her. 

What causes it? We still never know the whole backstory with Madam Yoo. What matters now, we are seeing that she is finding solace in Ji Ho's presence. 😌

She's like that bc she was trained to be so by Madam Yoo. She not only learnt how to excel in many hard skills considered important for a woman to marry into a wealthy family but also in soft skills (good manners, politeness). She was raised to be and look perfect, so she's not allowed to show any signs of weakness. Remember how she's got a drawer full of lollipops, bc that's what she got whenever she'd started crying when a kid? So during the most part of the drama, she holds herself back due to how she was trained, while Jung Ji Ho bottles his emotions up and avoids talking beyond the necessary bc of how many times he was reprimanded by it (even by his ex-wife). Many ppl saw this drama as 'nth much', but it's actually easy to relate to this 'closedness' when one was taught as a child to keep quiet and pretend everything's ok, not letting emotions flow naturally.