• Join Date: May 22, 2019

Catherine Hsu

Catherine Hsu

My First First Love 2
Just like the first season, the second season continued with a very light-hearted and realistic slice-of-life vibe, but I still have to say that I loved the first season better.

There were a lot of heart-fluttering moments between Song-Yi and both male leads in the first season, which is why I had such a hard time struggling to decide which ship I was rooting for. I felt like the amount of those moments in the second season was really lacking and instead, the story focused more on family struggles and other stuff. While that's fine, I still felt like the balance could've been better, because I still feel like the progression of some relationships was a little choppy and left me a little unsatisfied.

Ga-Rin and Choi-Hun still felt a little like comic relief to me throughout the season, but I will admit that they grew a lot more on me.

There's still some things that I feel like were left unaddressed, like how in high school Tae-O was eavesdropping on Song-Yi but ran away before he heard her say she almost had a crush on him, or how Se-Hyun was using other people to do her work, things like that.

Overall, though, I really appreciate how realistic the show is. The fact that it's more like a coming-of-age story instead of having one conniving antagonist is honestly extremely refreshing, but if I were to rewatch scenes in the future, I'd probably head to Season 1 first.

Boss & Me
Jun 25, 2019
Let me preface this by saying that I had just watched Playful Kiss before this, so watching ANOTHER ditzy main female character immediately after already grated on my nerves. Then the first episode had such weirdly fast-forwarded cinematography that I got motion sickness. Yet, I decided to power through.

I have no words to describe how problematic this was, from the relationship itself, to the way gender and racial stereotypes were portrayed.

Let me start with the quickest: there was a scene where the characters are in the UK, having fun with a lot of white people. Suddenly, they run into some gangsters, who just happen to be the only black people in the show so far. The racism couldn't be more obvious.

Second of all, the way that traditional roles are reinforced in this are subtle, but alarming. There's so much talk about how a woman is still worth marrying if she's infertile, and to me this topic was never addressed sufficiently. There's also a lot of romanticizing of "woman sacrifices career to be a wife." I'm overall really unhappy about the way women are portrayed in this drama—they're either gold-diggers, gossipers, dependent and overthinking, obsessed with a boy, or obsessed with fulfilling the perfect child-bearing wife role. There was honestly not one strong woman role I was happy with.

I hated the main male character. Aside from my superficially saying that he visually does nothing for me, I just thought his personality was one of the most boring and bland I've ever watched. Firstly, he has some creepy and stalkerish tendencies, and I'm sure a lot of things he did as a boss to his employee could be seen as an abuse of power. As the show went on, he honestly got worse (as a boyfriend)—he never seemed to try and see things from Shan Shan's perspective, and he became increasingly controlling. He kept trying to use his money to get her things without her knowing—as if he didn't trust her to make her own life decisions. He kept so many secrets and justified them saying it was for her own good. And worst of all, he completely disregarded her career and kept saying things like "that's my decision" and "it's not up for discussion" when it was supposed to be HER DECISION in the first place,

Add to that the fact that C-Dramas do this weird thing where they make the main characters initiate skinship and pair it with slow-mo and romantic music BEFORE I even had any reason to ship them, and all I got was a boss doing weird physical things to his employee when the extent of their relationship was him watching her eat through his office window.

I honestly wasn't a huge fan of Shan Shan either. This has something to do with the way the drama was filmed, but half of the entire show is her whining in internal monologues. So much of this show is advanced by Shan Shan "accidentally overhearing something," then overthinking it in a lengthy internal monologue while she pouts externally. As cute as she is at some points, I got SO tired of hearing her voice. MOST of the sub-plots are brought about because she needs validation from Feng Teng about their relationship, or that she needs to do something to "be good enough for him." And nobody ever tried to convince her otherwise, or argue that she was good enough. As the show went on, she also started standing up for herself less and less, and I almost ripped my hair out hoping that she'd say something about making her own life decisions, but she never did.

Overall, this was a tiring and dragging plot, filled with lots and lots of problems. The only character I never got TOO annoyed with might be Zheng Qi, who seems thirty times more fun to be around than the boring male lead.

Fight For My Way
I came here after watching Reply 1997 and craving a longtime-friends-to-lovers plot. Now, this was nothing like Reply 1997, but I actually still enjoyed it a lot.

The chemistry between the main leads was great. I liked that it was more balanced, and they teased each other but were also extremely supportive. Choi Ae Ra was an AMAZING female lead; I'd been craving a strong female lead (who wasn't bratty and selfish) and she was exactly that. It was refreshing, and you could see how much Go Dong Man loved her for it. I also thought that the big issue they had between them after they got together was very understandable and realistic, but it did get a little repetitive.

The pacing of the relationship was great, but the sub-plot could've been faster. Many of the earlier episodes felt like pure slice-of-life, but then the later episodes starting dealing with more dramatic family histories, which threw me for a loop.

I also ended up enjoying Baek Seol Hee and Joo Man's plot, even though I didn't think I would because I lose interest a lot after couples get together. But the issues they faced were surprisingly realistic, and my heart hurt for them. I definitely got annoyed and picked a side (Seol Hee!) but her character development was probably the strongest out of all the characters, and I loved her for it.

There actually weren't as many friendship scenes as I thought there would be, which is why I appreciated the scenes where Ae Ra was standing up for Seol Hee so much.

Healer
Jul 1, 2019
Let me start by saying that I'm not surprised by the amount of 10/10 star ratings that this show has—I can definitely see it as being worthy of that, and I certainly started watching it as high on this show as everyone else seemed to be, although it did take me a little longer to be sucked in.

I don't know if it's the amount of mystery/thriller books I've read or what, but the ending seemed a little predictable to me, and I guess I never really got the climactic moment I was hoping for.

I was also a little annoyed by the female lead throughout. She wasn't ditzy or stupid, but I honestly didn't think she was very smart or strong either. It got annoying when the show seemed to be LOUDLY ADVERTISING her as a strong character with dialogue like: "Wow, how are you not afraid at all?" or "Don't do such fearless things." when she always kind of did nothing in the actual moments (and her trauma was something I thought would be part of her character development, but it didn't really). Also: the first episode had her as someone who grew up "with a sixth sense," but as the drama went on, suddenly she lacked peripheral vision and hearing and couldn't even tell when she was being tailed by 30 men in black suits...

Attention, Love!
Jun 8, 2019
I was super excited for this one. Even though I didn't like the "fate" aspect that much, I liked the concept of two opposites as the main lead. Most of all, when I first started, I loved that the main female lead was ACTUALLY a tomboy, from the way she dressed to her reputation at school.

But after the first episode, and after the male lead appeared, that practically disappeared, and the "tomboyishness" of the FL was completely dimmed down again. Her clothes became pretty "cutesy," and worst of all, the plot hit her with ALL—and I mean ALL—the damsel-in-distress cliches, from "girl with a hurt ankle needs guy to carry her" to "girl is about to get bullied and guy saves her." I just...the main lead started off so strong. What happened?

To add to that, I was never a fan of insta-love in the first place, and this just confirmed my disdain for it. The main character's personality completely did a 180 the second she laid eyes on the ML, and the amount of whining and crying she did afterwards pissed me off. I didn't see ANYTHING attractive at all about the male lead, and to be honest, the second lead was much more fun and caring.

Lastly, the plot was just...bad. I'm okay with a drama that revolves around the romance plotline, but it has to be good. The story for this entire drama was predicated on one misunderstanding after another, because the main characters refused to communicate at all.

The only characters that I really liked was Angelina, who started off annoying but quickly became the badass that I thought the main character would be. Honestly, the second pairing was so refreshing because she was so upfront and straightforward about her feelings.

Jun 3, 2019
If you've already gotten through the regular episodes of Put Your Head On My Shoulder, you might as well watch this! It's super cute and is more like a compilation of different scenes than a plot-driven story. Compared to the amount of cuteness in the regular episodes, it honestly isn't as heart-warming, but for someone who can't get enough of the STM/GWY main pairing, it's still a wonderful watch. The special episode is really only thirteen or so minutes long, so it also doesn't take much of your time.
My ID is Gangnam Beauty
Jun 3, 2019
The acting is so good. Cha Eun Woo is BEAUTIFUL. I have never seen an actor able to express so much in the littlest smile. I know a lot of people complained that the actress for the main female lead was too old, but I didn't have a problem with it. Honestly, I couldn't even tell. And to add to that, a lot of shows have main male leads that are way older than the female lead, and nobody complains about that—so what's with the double standard?

The only minor reason I didn't give this a full 10/10 rating was because I wasn't a huge fan of the way the antagonist was dealt with. While I liked the attempt to give them a backstory and have it be in line with the message of the drama, it was basically all crammed into the last few episodes.

Love O2O
Jun 2, 2019
1. I love the main theme and the end theme so much.
2. I love the fact that there are no DUMB misunderstandings, and that the leads trust each other in their relationship.
3. I don't believe in love at first sight which this is based on, but everything is so cute that I'll honestly let it slide JUST THIS ONCE.
4. I am not on the ship for that second pairing. ER XI DESERVES BETTER.
5. I've honestly never been any sort of a gamer, and I also am not too interested in any historical aspects, but I surprisingly enjoyed the video game parts.
Playful Kiss Seung Jo's Diary
Jun 21, 2019
Gave this the same rating I gave the YouTube special edition videos. I liked being able to see more of BSJ's thoughts, which we didn't get much during the actual scenes, and these videos definitely made him seem like a more compassionate person. I do think that this and the YouTube special edition were scenes that could have been incorporated somehow into the original show to show their character development more fluidly (I had thought character development had been lacking and these diaries clear a lot of questions up), but this was still a fun and fast watch.
Age of Youth
Age of Youth had been recommended to me by a friend multiple times, but I had kept putting it off for one big reason: I knew that the story didn't focus on romance, and I was ALWAYS in the mood to watch romance.

And when I finally got around to watching it, that was still a problem, but not in the way I'd expected. There was enough romance—the problem was that it wasn't for the characters I wanted, Yi-Na and Ji-Won.

Those two were my favorites, followed by Jin-Myung, and then Ye-Eun and Eun-Jae. Let me go over my thoughts on each character separately.

Yi-Na: I loved her. Her character was the perfect blend of tragic backstory, badassery, and self-reflection, and her character development throughout the season was extremely strong. I loved how straightforward she was, yet how subtle she could be in her support for her friends. I so wish she had a romance plotline, especially how we were teased with it near the end.

Ji-Won: I loved her too! Her character had a little less depth than Yi-Na's which is the only reason she's second. Otherwise, her personality would be ranked first for me. She was always so adorable and upbeat, yet surprisingly insightful when it came down to it. It pained me that the character who wanted to find love the most was the one kind of left without it—even though there were some hints for this as well that I'm hoping are expanded on in Season 2.

Jin-Myung: This character really had to grow on me, but when she did, I grew to love her a lot as well. Even though she was a little bit of the cliche, tragic character, I thought she was extremely strong and her character development was great to watch as well, especially when she was connected with Yi-Na. Her romance plotline was nice too, but predictable.

Ye-Eun: I'm sure a lot of people were annoyed with this character, and I was too. She was very whiny and shrill. I will admit though that I really appreciated her plot and development, and she was surprisingly strong and logical about what a healthy relationship should be—which I'm glad wasn't dragged out.

Eun-Jae: Ugh. My least favorite of the five, and the one who got the most screentime and was the MAIN MAIN character. She was frustrating to watch at first because she never spoke up—understandable. But as the series went on, something about Eun-Jae just never sat right with me. I kept feeling secondhand embarrassment, the acting was a little awkward, and her entire personality was just the least interesting. Because of her, I couldn't really enjoy her romance plotline, which sucked because the love interest was the kind of teasing, playful male that I'd been looking for in kdramas. One scene that I did enjoy, though, is the one where she finally calls out her mom—another character that annoyed me to death. I know that the actress for Eun-Jae is different in Season 2...I'm partly thankful, partly worried that it'll throw me off.

Overall, it was still really refreshing to watch a drama with strong sismance, which kdrama doesn't usually have a lot of.

You Who Came from the Stars

Underwhelming, but had its cute moments

I wonder if I'd have enjoyed this more if I'd watched it before I saw Legend of the Blue Sea and My Amazing Boyfriend. LOTBS was so similar to this one in its parallel characters/storylines, while My Amazing Boyfriend (China) is based on the same alien premise (even though the plot is different)—and so everything that happened in this show felt unsurprising.

I really liked Song-Yi. She's advertised as arrogant, and the first episode makes her come across as dumb, but throughout the drama she was surprisingly able to think on her feet, not to mention that she was an absolute SAVAGE, which I loved. But one huge downside for her was that SHE HAD NO ACTIVE ROLE IN THE ACTION PLOTLINE. This meant that everything dangerous and adventurous was happening without her knowledge, and her role was reduced to the girl who pined for Do Min-Joon and needed saving from the bad guys. I had been really looking forward to how her badass personality would help scheme against the antagonists, and it was really disappointing when she didn't at all, and instead spent all her time freaking out about Min-Joon.

In fact, overall I felt like the action plot was kind of underwhelming? The climax didn't really feel like the climax to me and it was solved pretty easily, especially since our main female lead never really got involved.

Do Min-Joon and Song-Yi had really adorable and heart-fluttering moments, which I loved, but when it came to the more melodramatic and serious parts of the romantic plot, I found myself annoyed and thinking that the characters were overreacting and crying too much. Good acting, but unnecessary. This is especially because it felt a little repetitive when a lot of the romantic plot was Min-Joon not being honest about his situation—understandable, but frustrating to watch.

For the second leads: I wouldn't exactly say I had second lead syndrome, but he was such an intriguing character—more intriguing than the main leads, and I felt so bad I wished he would end up with the girl because he treated Song-Yi so damn well. Se-Mi was a different story; I was constantly annoyed by her presence and honestly, I couldn't see the point of her other than to be the annoying third wheel. I was more intrigued by that bookstore lady.

Love Playlist: Season 3
The main couple's on-and-off-and-on-again relationship started to get really repetitive, and to be perfectly honest I was rooting for second lead a lot more.

Now, the special episodes I loved, because NOTHING beats the friends-to-lovers trope and even though something about Pu-Reum doesn't quite sit right with me, I love Ha-Neul and I will root for his ship.

I'm also surprised about something else—I'd always thought Jae-In was the main female lead, but it's been three seasons and she doesn't have much plot. I'd definitely want to see more of her in the next season.

In Time With You

Made me cry like a baby

Damn. I really didn't expect to love this so damn much, because I've had a bad rap with Taiwanese dramas, but this was actually so close to perfect, and it made me SOB.

The friends-to-lovers trope is probably my favorite trope ever, and this show did a damn good job of portraying it. As cliche as the "don't want to ruin our friendship" excuse is, it was easy to see how big of a deal it was and why our main characters would choose to keep their mouths shut, even though Da-Ren acted so much like a second lead and broke my heart every single episode. This show is SO good at displaying the little subtleties in their relationship and emotions, especially through the flashbacks. There were definitely some extended flashbacks, but they were paralleled and done so well that I wanted to see more.

The beginning was honestly a little offputting, with the female lead running away from a gorilla looking creature meant to symbolize time. Thankfully this wasn't a long-lasting metaphor, and as the drama progressed, I started to really appreciate the cinematography a lot more, from the (day)dreams that the characters had (which broke my heart too) to the phone calls that brought them closer.

Something about the main female lead, You-Qing, is so damn relatable. She's the sort of everyday badass that stands up for herself, and doesn't need to resort to punches to do so. She can be a little arrogant at times, but that comes with the territory. And even though she's so straightforward and domineering in every aspect of her life, when it came to love, everything became so confusing and scary that she found herself away from it. SO. DAMN. RELATABLE. And when she finally grew from it at the end—it was so refreshing yet heartbreaking that I couldn't help but sob along with her.

That scene where she was apologizing to her parents and didn't want to embarrass them by calling off the wedding, but all they cared about was her happiness...honestly hit me hard, and it exemplified everything I loved about their family. The same could be said for Da-Ren's family, but something about the more subtle way it was shown in You-Qing's family was more effective.

Even though friendship wasn't a HUGE part of the story, I really really loved the high school gang, especially when they were at the bachelorette party and basically collectively knew that Da-Ren had been in love with You-Qing since high school. (Sidenote: Jasper Liu is hella fine)

I also can't remember the last time I cared so much about a side ship. Maybe because it was ALSO friends-to-lovers with one side unrequited, but Ping An and Ling Kai were adorable, and I honestly also love that they played out realistically and it wasn't a random happily ever after.

A few things that I didn't like as much:

1. Something about the time jump in the last episode where we saw You-Qing go traveling was very unsatisfying to me. I'm all about the FINALE where the characters finally reveal everything and are honest with each other, and I never really got to see that. I'm okay with the concept of You-Qing needing time to find herself through traveling, but...What did she say to Da-Ren? What was his reaction when he found out his unrequited love wasn't unrequited? These questions are going to kill me.

2. I kind of wish they didn't make Ding Li-Wei a cheating scumbag at the end. Even though it might be realistic, I liked the idea that he changed his ways and You-Qing had to repent completely for leading on a guy she didn't love. Making him cheat felt like an attempt at justifying You-Qing's actions by basically saying "hey, we both did bad things to each other."

3. A minor last thing: it's true that the drama dragged a little longer than I thought it would because You-Qing didn't speak up, and I hated that especially because I hated Ding Li-Wei that chauvinistic controlling pig with a burning passion, but at the same time—and I'm also saying this for everyone saying that she was horrible for leading him on, crying about being 30, and getting so far as getting engaged—it's easy to see how a thirty-year-old woman in Taiwan would be STRESSED out about still being single at that age, considering how women in their late twenties are already treated like garbage (ex: "leftover women" in China). Add the fact that Ding Li-Wei was an ex who she still had lingering feelings for and it's honestly harder to break up with someone than it sounds...what might've been an annoying character became heartbreakingly realistic and relatable for me.

LAST SIDENOTE: Why does Ding Li-Wei randomly burst into lines of English? Even though his English is good, it still makes me cringe.

Want More 19
This was adorable and I love the little "multiple choice" theme, which made me excited to see which one of the answers was the correct one. Playlist Global has always done a really good job of setting up these themes for their web drama.

I was mostly in it for the plot and the vibe of the videos, versus the actual ship. I lowkey felt a little second lead syndrome, but overall I still really enjoyed watching this.

Part of me also wishes there was more to this. For example, A-Teen had a lot of friendship, family, and identity, but this one was very centered on the puppy love.

Reply 1994
I have very mixed feelings after finishing this. I definitely didn't enjoy this as much as Reply 1997—it wasn't until the cameos did I realize how much I missed Shi-Won and Yoon-Jae. Yet, the series still had the similar Reply vibe, which made me enjoy watching it still.

I didn't really have a preference for the love triangle, mainly because the writers seem to very visibly alternate which character (Trash or Chil-Bong) had more screentime. I found myself rooting for whoever was on screen. Except, when they were both on screen and were insulting each other, I found myself not really a fan of either one of them. The way the love triangle went, though, it definitely went on for longer than it had to because it felt like Na-Jung was indifferent to Chil-Bong from the start and never wavered. There were some scenes where I really liked Na-Jung's chemistry with Trash, but other times they acted just like brother and sister and I thought Chil-Bong would've been better as the husband. Trash also really hurt himself when there was this ten-episode build-up around why he wouldn't accept Na-Jung's feelings and all we got was the most cliche "we're like family" explanation. Just a note though that I did get spoiled for the ending and I already knew who was going to be the husband.

Now here is one HUGE thing that bothered me: the fact that they used Yoon-Jin's drunk secret-spilling habit to advance the plot not once, not twice, but THREE times. If it was just once, I would've been okay with it. The second time, it got repetitive. And the third time was really just annoying, especially since nobody bothered to stop her (even knowing her habit) and just let her go on and on.

The series definitely dragged on for longer than it had to by including scenes and dialogue that would be in everyday conversation, and some episodes that were one and a half hours long killed me. But the vibe I still enjoyed because it felt very slice-of-life. At the same time, however, the scenes were longer but I felt like they jumped around so much and there were some scenes I wanted that were never shown. What was Na-Jung's initial reaction to Chil-Bong's first confession?

I'm honestly a little disappointed with how Hai-Tai and Bingguere's stories went. I LOVED Hai-Tai's banter with Yoo-Jin and his friendship with Na-Jung and it lowkey hurt me that he didn't end up with any girls in the main squad. For Binggeure, even though I get that sexual confusion is a thing, after Joon-Hee's intense presence in Reply 1997 and all the similar hinting for Binggeure being gay/bi as well, then suddenly giving him a female love interest in one episode and having them end up married...it just felt a lot like queer-baiting to me.

SCP and Yoon-Jin's relationship also had to take a lot of time to grow on me, because I was shipping her with Hai-Tai, and SCP just looked like an old man. I'm glad that that was a running joke though, which made it better.

I was honestly not a fan of Na-Jung at the beginning, because I was really annoyed by her fangirling. And I don't inherently have something against a main lead in an unrequited love, but the fact that she made it so damn obvious and overreacted with so much angst...that pissed me off.

Also, since the characters in Reply 1997 were friends before the drama started whereas the characters in 1994 had to meet each other, the friendship aspect felt very lacking at the start.

I definitely think this one incorporated more nostalgia and references, and my favorite was that of the Sampoong department store collapse, because it was the first time you really saw the huge impact of an event on the characters.

There are a lot of plotholes in this, it seems. What was the purpose of Na-Jung's younger brother? He was never at the dinner table or in the living room with the others except for when it was beneficial for the plot, and it just makes me wonder if the parents just left him in the room by himself. And where did Na-Jung's basketball fangirling go? It went from being the central point of her personality and the plot to basically being non-existent, except for a little mention here and there.

Note: Although this show was truly laugh-out-loud funny at times, I felt like the goat noise was also overrused.

7/10 is still quite a high rating in my eyes, but the high rating is for the Reply nostalgia and the brilliant metaphors and voiceovers and life lessons. If I used my logic, I'd give this show a much lower rating, but because it managed to tug on my heartstrings, 7/10 it is.