Well, Did it ? as a Tried and dropped at one episode guy, I am curious !!!
We are about halfway; it took me a little while to warm up to it and some of the characters, but I am liking it more and more. The ML's dynamic with his teenage parents is absolutely adorable, and I think it's really fun to see a child learning how to have compassion on and empathy with his parents and their own young person struggles; he has a unique perspective into what shaped them into what they become as adults, and the way he pulls for them and roots for them and fights for them kind of adorably reverses their roles in the past (he plays the role of the parent neither of them had).
I love the deaf component as well as they've been addressing issues of human dignity surrounding it throughout the story, too. Enjoying it now, for sure!
Interesting take. I would have loved to engage you in responding to my query below, but I can also respond here,…
I really like the app, too. It's way more convenient and I'm not on my laptop enough to use the browser much (and I hate the ads on the site when I use a browser ๐ ).
The rating system on MDL is just for fun, and shouldn't be taken too seriously.The MDL rating system is such that…
Interesting take. I would have loved to engage you in responding to my query below, but I can also respond here, too. ๐
Also, based on this logic I wonder why MDL offers an app version of the site, then? ๐ค I see almost no ads on it at all, and that's why I moved to it. Do you think most MDL users use laptops/computers to access this site on a browser?
Also, I was thinking as viewers that rating thoughtfully is an extension of appreciation for what the creators have done, and helps other viewers have a more accurate experience when curating their choices. It's possible to have fun AND be thoughtful, don't you think?
I think the reason people get frustrated with very exaggerated ratings (low or high) is because it's kind of similar to grading, say, an essay.
If a student writes a complete essay with all the required criteria and has some good features (they have some quotes they cite, they have the required number of paragraphs/words/pages required and have a reference list and some evidence included), but the essay is poorly written and poorly argued, they shouldn't get graded with a super low score because they met a certain threshold that means they should be rewarded for a certain level of effort (a student like that would never get below a 50% or 60% because that would be completely denying all these features that were required to make it into an essay at all--if you were that student, you would want to be rewarded for doing that work, yes?). They'll probably get a D or low C, and that's deserved because Bs are reserved for students who did a decent job, and As are for students who exceeded expectations.
I think dramas with good components (funny moments, good cinematography, decent acting for some or many of the actors, a complete script and a few funny or sweet moments and a fairly coherent story with major flaws or plot holes or frustrating bits, etc. should get at least a 6 (similar to the essay).
There's too much that went into it to deserve a 1 or 2, and I think almost nothing in the drama world deserves a score like 1 or 2. In my mind, a 6 is very bad, just like an essay that's 60% is bad (and technically a failing grade), but anything less than that would be ignoring all the creativity and work that went into the other parts that met a certain threshold of criteria for a drama to exist at all.
If we apply this analogy to the other extreme, if you give every essay an A, even though some are much worse than others, that is frustrating, too. That denies all the aspects of excellence that some essays (aka dramas) have that others don't and is unfairly rewarding poor work with a score they didn't truly deserve.
The big difference between essays and dramas is that many people work on dramas. So many work like dogs to create a good product (even if it ends up being awful) and to rate anything that low just completely dismisses all of that work and effort (imo).
Obviously some think of a rating as a scale of enjoyment (and this is another way a drama differs from an essay--one is specifically meant to entertain!), so people just rate based on: did I like it? Was it meh? Did I hate it?
I think this a super important factor as well, of course, but I think for a score to be thoughtful and also helpful as an indicator of quality and enjoyment, some balance needs to be struck between these elements (quality and enjoyment), and because so much work goes into the quality AND the enjoyment of a drama, some credit needs to be given for reaching a threshold of quality, even if we found it super unenjoyable.
Or maybe itโs just genuinely bad I donโt get why youโre so surprised that 150 people rated it 1/10.
I think the reason people get frustrated with very exaggerated ratings (low or high) is because it's kind of similar to grading, say, an essay. If a student writes a complete essay with all the required criteria and has some good features of it (they cite their quotes, have the number of paragraphs/words required and have a reference list), but the essay is poorly written and poorly argued, they shouldn't get graded with super low score because they met a certain threshold that means they should be rewarded for a certain level of effort (a student like that would never get below a 50% or 60% because that would be completely denying all these features that were required to make it into an essay at all). They'll probably get a low C, and that's deserved because Bs are reserved for students who did a decent job, and As are for students who exceeded expectations.
I think dramas with good components (funny moments, good cinematography, decent acting for some or many of the actors, a complete script and a few funny or sweet moments and a fairly coherent story should get at least above 6 (similar to the essay). There's too much that went into it to deservea a 1 or 2, and I think almost nothing in the drama world deserves a score like that. In my mind, a 6 is very bad, just like an essay that's 60% is bad (and technically a failing grade), but anything less than that would be ignoring all the creativity and work that went into the other parts that met a certain threshold of the criteria for a drama to exist at all.
If we apply this analogy to the other extreme, if you give every essay an A, even though some are much worse than others, that is frustrating, too. That denies all the aspects of excellence that some dramas have that others don't and is unfairly rewarding poor work with a score they didn't truly deserve.
The big difference between essays and dramas is that many people work on dramas. So many work like dogs to create a good product and to rating anything that low just completely dismisses all of that work and effort (imo).
EXACTLY! I am skipping all her seasons. After seeing her trash character in ep 1, I had to come here to check…
I don't think a liking for Kim Nam Gil alone would have gotten me through this, but he was definitely great in this! I was happy when he got more people on his side in the second half. โบ๏ธ
There are two moments I really like, both involving Kim Jae Wook, where the characters don't really speak but…
On your #1: This is why I'd be surprised if Jae Yeol is having an affair because he seems to like the way she operates, which feels like it doesn't make sense if he had something to hide (like that). (And honestly, this fits with what you noticed in #2 as well).
Funny show and it has potential to be really good. I just hated that kiss scene ๐. It really wasnโt necessary…
It was not a consensual kiss, though. He was not enthused, even though they played it up for laughs.
I think the purpose of that scene was to make us laugh while showing us that the ML is a seasoned vet in the dating department (and probably because he's a girl magnet) ๐, and show us that while he's dated a ton, he's morally against having an affair.
I love the deaf component as well as they've been addressing issues of human dignity surrounding it throughout the story, too. Enjoying it now, for sure!
Also, based on this logic I wonder why MDL offers an app version of the site, then? ๐ค I see almost no ads on it at all, and that's why I moved to it. Do you think most MDL users use laptops/computers to access this site on a browser?
Also, I was thinking as viewers that rating thoughtfully is an extension of appreciation for what the creators have done, and helps other viewers have a more accurate experience when curating their choices. It's possible to have fun AND be thoughtful, don't you think?
If a student writes a complete essay with all the required criteria and has some good features (they have some quotes they cite, they have the required number of paragraphs/words/pages required and have a reference list and some evidence included), but the essay is poorly written and poorly argued, they shouldn't get graded with a super low score because they met a certain threshold that means they should be rewarded for a certain level of effort (a student like that would never get below a 50% or 60% because that would be completely denying all these features that were required to make it into an essay at all--if you were that student, you would want to be rewarded for doing that work, yes?). They'll probably get a D or low C, and that's deserved because Bs are reserved for students who did a decent job, and As are for students who exceeded expectations.
I think dramas with good components (funny moments, good cinematography, decent acting for some or many of the actors, a complete script and a few funny or sweet moments and a fairly coherent story with major flaws or plot holes or frustrating bits, etc. should get at least a 6 (similar to the essay).
There's too much that went into it to deserve a 1 or 2, and I think almost nothing in the drama world deserves a score like 1 or 2. In my mind, a 6 is very bad, just like an essay that's 60% is bad (and technically a failing grade), but anything less than that would be ignoring all the creativity and work that went into the other parts that met a certain threshold of criteria for a drama to exist at all.
If we apply this analogy to the other extreme, if you give every essay an A, even though some are much worse than others, that is frustrating, too. That denies all the aspects of excellence that some essays (aka dramas) have that others don't and is unfairly rewarding poor work with a score they didn't truly deserve.
The big difference between essays and dramas is that many people work on dramas. So many work like dogs to create a good product (even if it ends up being awful) and to rate anything that low just completely dismisses all of that work and effort (imo).
Obviously some think of a rating as a scale of enjoyment (and this is another way a drama differs from an essay--one is specifically meant to entertain!), so people just rate based on: did I like it? Was it meh? Did I hate it?
I think this a super important factor as well, of course, but I think for a score to be thoughtful and also helpful as an indicator of quality and enjoyment, some balance needs to be struck between these elements (quality and enjoyment), and because so much work goes into the quality AND the enjoyment of a drama, some credit needs to be given for reaching a threshold of quality, even if we found it super unenjoyable.
What do you all think?
I think dramas with good components (funny moments, good cinematography, decent acting for some or many of the actors, a complete script and a few funny or sweet moments and a fairly coherent story should get at least above 6 (similar to the essay). There's too much that went into it to deservea a 1 or 2, and I think almost nothing in the drama world deserves a score like that. In my mind, a 6 is very bad, just like an essay that's 60% is bad (and technically a failing grade), but anything less than that would be ignoring all the creativity and work that went into the other parts that met a certain threshold of the criteria for a drama to exist at all.
If we apply this analogy to the other extreme, if you give every essay an A, even though some are much worse than others, that is frustrating, too. That denies all the aspects of excellence that some dramas have that others don't and is unfairly rewarding poor work with a score they didn't truly deserve.
The big difference between essays and dramas is that many people work on dramas. So many work like dogs to create a good product and to rating anything that low just completely dismisses all of that work and effort (imo).
I think the purpose of that scene was to make us laugh while showing us that the ML is a seasoned vet in the dating department (and probably because he's a girl magnet) ๐, and show us that while he's dated a ton, he's morally against having an affair.
But I know he'll get there. ๐