• Join Date: May 21, 2015
First Love
Mar 26, 2017
I watched Hatsukoi because of its interesting setup. Well, I was actually interested because Keisuke Koide is a fave of mine and he's actually a lead in this movie(a love interest too). But the 300 million robbery really seemed like it would be thrilling. A good heist movie is always fun.

(SOME SPOILERS MAYBE PROBABLY)

I actually liked the movie a lot(beyond seeing Koide get quite a lot of screentime lol). But I can't really call it a good movie.

See, Hatsukoi felt like someone having an identity crisis. The plot made it seem like it would be a thrilling heist movie. But then the title screams romance. It also seemed like it would sorta be about confused youth. The movie is as indecisive as I am lols.

I think I liked it for the cast but the story fell flat. The robbery was based on real events so I can't really complain about it(but i still will haha). It felt too easy and the stakes weren't so high. And the romance.. err, didn't feel very romanc-y. I kinda liked it for that but I kind of feel like it might have not been more than platonic. I did want them to be together but their 'love' felt forced especially the letter at the end. The relationships of the club members weren't really developed. I hoped for more especially with the siblings but there wasn't much.

Overall, I felt like the movie wanted and tried to be many different things(but sorta failed). I failed to connect with it and I didn't really care for the characters. It was enjoyable and I don't regret watching but not something I would watch again or recommend highly.

Rules of Dating
Oct 22, 2017
So i rewatched this movie and decided to make a review.

I actually liked this movie the first time i watched it despite the problematic things with it. Im not sure why though. Maybe its the ambience or the music or my fondness for the cast despite the problematic characters.

*SPOILERS*

Is this even romance? How is there dating in the title? Bwodxjql

Park Hae-il's char was forcing himself on Kang Hye-jung's char. So Im totally not sure how the couple got together. I have no idea how it became mutual attraction. If my memory serves well, he sexually harassed her multiple times aside from well sexually assaulting her. Yea a horrible character.

Im all for damaged characters. Like shes an insomniac but somehow she can sleep well around him. Im weak for a dynamic like that. But then they made problematic into romantic. And i cant get behind that. She told him no countless of times. And what did he do? He just pushed his way through! With force! But then somehow they fell for each other.

And then the ending. I think im most annoyed by the ending. Why was she apologizing to him? Ok i get it. She pushed him off the cliff, so to speak. But its not like her allegations were false. She simply outed him for his horrible deeds and im glad she did. The guy did lose his job but thats the consequence for his actions. But he kept acting like the victim. And then after making up, they act like nothing happened. No sort of repentance, not even an apology from his part. Hes just like 'the only wrong thing i did was to like you'. No. This is all sorts of problematic.