• Join Date: February 19, 2018
The King of Blaze
Dec 31, 2018

Good story and beautiful cast- I recommend as a pass time drama

I started watching this to pass time while waiting for my other shows. I thought the first few episodes were just okay, then the story got better before reaching a cycle of repeated elements and crashing in the final episode. The characters however, were interesting enough to see it through to the end. The second couple had more chemistry and an even more interesting story line than the main couple. I grew to love many side characters like General Li, Chu Yuanzhi, Touer and the crown prince. I really like that the crown prince always stood up for himself and pursued what he wanted unlike in many other dramas. The comedic relief in the drama were well placed and not over the top. The ending sucked as is the norm for most Chinese time dramas but hey, we get a S2. There were plots that were never explained (e.g. the Empress), and the time passage was unclear. I lost interest in the main couple's love story halfway through the series. It lacked depth and freshness due to the overused plot and many repeated tropes.

As for the acting, the actors playing Hao Yue and princess Ying did a fantastic job at conveying emotions. However, I got too distracted with Chen Bolin's over-exaggerated facial expressions. His "angry" face especially got me cringing every time. I thought Jing Tian's acting was okay although I must say, her acting in the god realm was more fluid. Her crying scenes were somewhat unbelievable in the earthly realm and I couldn't empathize with her character...especially because she cried every 3 episodes or so after meeting Zhong Tian and this did not suit the strong, independent character we were made to believe she was. I will only be watching S2 because of the second couple. Hopefully the story is better.

One Smile is Very Alluring
Mar 19, 2018
My biggest issue with the movie is that the "real life" scenes were often merged with the game and as such, the lines between reality and the game were often blurred, making these "real life" scenes less realistic. I feel like the interaction between the leads is not as mesmerizing as the drama and certainly not as romantic. Their first encounter was very cliche and the meeting at the bridge was a let down. The acting was good and the kiss, oh my, 10/10.

The leads are very good looking but overall the other cast do not provide as much of an eye candy as the drama. Movie Wei Wei has a great bubbly personality, pretty much the same within and outside the game world. However, one of the reasons why I liked the dramas is because of the contrasting personalities of the leads- shy girl in real life with a totally different personality in the game world. The story gets a 7 because as many have mentioned, it was too fast paced- quite expected of a movie. I don't think I'll be re-watching this. I never really re-watch movies or dramas but I already watched the drama twice. I also wished that Xiao Nai's three friends were recognized and appreciated at the end, not just Wei Wei and Xiao Nai - it feels wrong.

Since this is a remake, it is inevitably going to be compared with the drama. If this was a standalone movie, I probably would have appreciated it more but alas nothing can be done for it is a remake.