• Birthday: August 12
  • Join Date: October 11, 2015
Dramaworld
May 16, 2016
Even though my rating for this web-drama is fairly low, I still think you should watch it (for a singular reason I'll get to in a second), but first I want to touch on the things I didn't like:

1. The characters were very wooden and one-dimensional. The acting wasn't very good--I honestly was cringing a lot of the time. I'm a person that loves to be swept away in a drama and feel EVERYTHING that our characters are feeling, but it was impossible with this drama. Perhaps because it is borderline parody and they're trying to wink to the audience quite a bit (the sole component I liked). But these characters never really came together to the point where you believed the emotions they were feeling, which was kinda disappointing.

2. Our main male lead was....awkward. I mean obviously he's supposed to be this super-character. He's the LEADING MAN and they try to portray him in that way. But his shifts between Korean/English were off-putting and just how he interacted with Claire....he was where most of the cringing took place. His lines were just not delivered very well.

3. The writing. Some of the lines they had these characters say....just shouldn't have been said. I liked their plot-twists, but I didn't like how the scenes all came together. Sometimes things got just a bit too ridiculous and over-the-top.

Now, here comes the part of my review where I say you should watch it anyway:

1. THE META. Oh my goodness, they covered SOOO many tropes within dramas and managed to play off of them and it gave some REALLY good laughs. The touched on giving drunk girls piggy back rides, karaoke, product placements, dangerous briefcases, brand names being blurred, etc. And they were SUPER-DUPER smart about all of that.

2. The episodes are only 12-ish minutes. And there's only 10 episodes, so just give it a whirl to see what you think. Like I said, while I think it really deserves the rating I gave it as a whole, those meta moments were just spectacular. Spectacular and funny enough that I'd say it's worth the watch. <3

Watch this in one sitting when you have the time, it'll be more enjoyable that way. Also, just don't take it too seriously and try not to think too hard about how horribly the lines are being delivered. xD

Marriage Contract
Apr 25, 2016
It's certainly the best drama I've watched this month. I'm a little sad to bid it adieu--it had everything you could want from a drama: amazing actors, heartwarming moments, an adorable little kid, and a BEAUTIFUL love story that immersed you completely in the lives of these characters. Everything they felt, you felt. This drama grasped onto my heart and refused to let go. These actors really did a phenomenal job; I definitely want to check out some of their other dramas.

I think whether you are a fan of melodramas or not, this is definitely worth your time. While the subject matter of having a terminal illness is sad, rather than being this forlorn, sappy pit of one depressing scene after the other, it instead had a nostalgic, hopeful, and just plain beautiful feel to it. <33

It was about family and friendships--the important people in our lives and what we're willing to do for them. Appreciating them full-heartily and embracing our present happy moments. The OST is stunning, SO SO beautiful. It really added to all the moments in this drama.

If you're on the fence about whether to start this drama, I say barrel through that fence and just take a chance. It really doesn't disappoint: it's about life, family, love, and happiness. It's just so dang beautiful. I applaud everyone involved in it making it. <333

Cheese in the Trap
Mar 2, 2016
This drama completely and utterly moved me. There's no other way to describe it. Many people will talk about how it's a 'slice of life' drama, and sure...it is, no argument here. But it's so much more than that. It's a drama that carved it's own path to originality...one episode at a time. It didn't fall into any of the normal K-drama tropes or traps, or something supremely unrealistic. It was all about how the choices we make (or don't make); our actions are the causation of our future. One thing is certainly for sure, you have never seen a drama quite like this before.

These characters' destiny was intimately entwined with each other. Each of the 16 episodes I watched brought these characters to life--I've never felt so connected to characters before. Shout out to Park Hae Jin, Kim Go Eun, and Seo Kang Joon; they were absolutely stunning in their roles. Any dramas that they partake in after this....I'll always typecast them in my mind as these characters and be unable to separate them from Jung, Seol, and In Ho, they honestly were that good.

Our main male lead (Yoo Jung Sunbae) is presented as this mysterious guy who seems extremely well-behaved, but perhaps has something a little "off" about him. Seol is the girl who first notices it and is put-off by his deceptive behavior. The show makes a point to present throughout the series that they actually have a lot of similarities in how they perceive the world and people around them. So their 'cat and mouse' game is really fascinating to see play out and the differences in how they handle obstacles that come their way. Their life shaped who they became when they met each other, and meeting each other fundamentally changed how their lives ended up (or will end up) in the future.

In Ho and In Ha were taken in my Yoo Jung's father when they were kids, so they're slightly familiar with him and his tendencies. But being raised in that environment and the 'mystery' of what happened to bring them to where they are today was really interesting to watch. In Ho and Yoo Jung have probably the most interesting relationship of the entire show. It's antagonistic, sure....but there's something that runs deep between them. I loved watching how that all played out to the end. It was perfect.

Also, In Ho is adorable. I'm a Seol and Yoo Jung shipper, but I honestly absolutely adored In Ho's piano savant-esque character. I liked how the drama wasn't afraid to flesh out his character and give him a bit more dimension than what second-leads normally get. I understand that there is quite a bit of controversy surrounding that, but Baek In Ho's character and how this drama departed from how most dramas would handle second-leads was a real positive for me. It made this drama that much more unique. In fact, I felt like as the drama came to a close, the motivations, the ulterior motives, and the personalities of all the characters were really well fleshed out. I enjoyed getting to know every single one of them. Even how the drama ended was a departure from the norm, it had kinda an idie-esque feel. I liked it.

To put it simply, this drama was beautiful. Go out and watch it. It's certainly earned its way into my top 10 list. I'll miss it.

Roy Leh Sanae Rai
Feb 14, 2016
Look, there is a certain market for this type of drama/lakorn: fulfilling the niche of a psychotic guy trying to control a super humble and sweet girl. This lakorn falls into that category. I know not all Lakorns are like this (thank goodness), but this is the first slap/kiss Lakorn I've encountered and I'm not quite sure how to proceed from here in my selection of different Lakorns to watch next.

I'd only recommend this Lakorn under very specific circumstances:

1. You aren't sensitive to very triggering themes (rape, mainly)
2. You like watching endless cat fights
3. You're in the mood for something very angst inducing with a couple that gives each other a lot of long looks of despair
4. You are okay with endless misunderstandings
5. You are okay with suuuuuuuuper annoying side characters

I guess it was entertaining (if you FF through all the side stuff)? I don't know, I feel like you have to be in a certain mood to enjoy this. And you also have to suspend your disbelief at how HORRIBLE the male guy is to the lead female.

I just don't think this Lakorn can ever be accused of having "quality" -- it was pretty poorly constructed: not very well fleshed out characters, the character roles basically being caricatures of themselves, no flowing story where the guy earns the love of the female, and really outdated drama tropes that were annoying to see repeated over and over again.

I don't want to give any spoilers, but I was completely unsatisfied with the end and how he "won" the girl. I was hoping for more character improvement and growth.

So....watch this I guess if you're a fan of slap/kiss lakorns? .....I on the other hand will be lamenting over how I gave 14 episodes of my life over to this show, and in the end....I'm not entirely sure it was worth it. I'm an angst addict, so I certainly enjoyed parts of it, but the main guy was waaaay too horrible for me to say I'm glad I watched it.

Oh My Venus
Jan 6, 2016
*Warning, this review has very vague spoilers.....but I thought I'd warn regardless.*

I decided to watch this drama because I absolutely adore Shin Min Ah and So Ji Sub. They are two of my very favorite Korean actors--I'd watch anything that includes them. Even though this drama wasn't really my cup of tea (for reasons I'll get to in a second), that still stands true. I'll watch them in anything--they're great.

Before I get to my problems with the show, I'll first touch on what I liked:

1. A slightly unique k-drama ending. Without giving anything away, the drama pretty much wraps itself up by episode 14. Cue the horror I felt that the next two episodes were just going to be one angst ride of a cliche after another (just to fill the quota of 16 episodes). It builds up to a point where you think it will go in a normal kdrama cliche, but instead veers to a sharp left, avoiding it. It was surprising and appreciated. It made the next two episodes more fun, sweet (ie a certain scarf scene), and cute. I really felt that was needed (because of the previous episodes). So definitely a kudos on that aspect.

2. The mementos and theme. While normally the idea of keeping a band-aid REALLY grosses me out, I thought it was an endearing touch on the theme of 'injured people need time to heal wounds that are sometimes really hard to see.' That theme is brought up often, especially as a personality trait that the main-lead has a weakness for in others. Various people in this show are injured in some way or another and I liked seeing how the show dealt with them overcoming that. Having a band-aid be kind of the OTP's 'thing' was nice, especially with how it all tied in at the end.

3. More realistic(ish) kisses and an actual sexual relationship. It's pretty common place that in a k-drama you're going to get those dead fish kisses (which this drama is not devoid of) and just no mention of sex at all. That's just Korean dramas for you. So whenever a drama breaks that mold, like this one does (slightly) it's a big deal in my book. The side characters got some REAL actual kisses and the show made it clear that the OTP had sex (and there were even some scenes that were really playful with this concept). So that DEFINITELY gets a huge thumbs up for me.

Now onto the problems/things I didn't like about this drama:

1. The BIGGEST problem was the family dynamics across the board. Family dynamics were underutilized and not played to their full potential. They were also SUPER confusing. Especially So Ji Sub's family. He rarely interacted with his father or grandmother--so it was super hard to connect with them or get their impact on what the story was supposed to be. He only interacted with his half-brother ONCE (the end episode)! I also just didn't understand his relationship with his uncle or step-mother--they just never interacted. I just didn't understand why....there was huge potential missed there. You barely get a feel for Shin Min Ah's mother and certainly not her brother, nor do you truly understand the pain she had of losing her father. I just....I don't know, felt hugely let-down by the family dynamics, they just didn't play a role in this drama and I felt that left gaping holes in the plot, storyline, and cohesion/flow of the story. It was sooooo confusing, to the point where at various points it HURT my brain trying to figure out why the writers were purposefully skirting around all the normal issues that would involve family scenes. It was almost as if they were working hard trying to prevent any family scenes from taking place, it was weird. Everything felt really disconnected in that regard.

2. Maybe this is just my own weird thing, but.....I thought all the fat jokes/cliches were, ugh...annoying. They continued, right up to the end. Sure, they were trying to make it a "Oh, being healthy (also on the inside) is a good thing, not just losing weight!" But it was essentially just a story of a girl losing weight and gaining a guy. Sometimes I felt like they went a little overboard to the point where it got a little cheesy and cliched (not to mention annoying). But again, that may just be a preference thing. At least this drama only had one instance of weird K-drama bathroom humor. So I'll count my blessings with that.

3. The convoluted angst. It's true that for the most part, this drama is pretty bubbly and comedic. BUT when it does do angst (particularly the antics that break up the OTP) it did not work for me, at all. This may be a slight spoiler, so *WARNING* but at one point, the So Ji Sub leaves her (for in my opinion, a dumb reason).....and for some reason won't allow her to see him, at all. Also, no texting/calling....nothing. Just a complete up and leaves with no trace. He's supposedly supposed to come back to her at some point, but I just felt it was stupid. I didn't understand why it was so important that he had to cut her off, it made no sense. It felt like they were creating angst for no reason and brought me out of the story. It was just dumb. Also, anything angsty like that, just wasn't handled very well. It didn't flow with the story well.

4. Overuse of flashbacks. When a drama is using enough flashbacks to the point where you say to yourself: "Dang, that's a lot of flashbacks." It's overused. It became a crutch and a pointless time-filler. It was fairly annoying, because these flashbacks weren't just of the far past of these characters (which is fine), but things that happened JUST barely. It became really apparent that they were using it to fill time for episodes, which made it just seem sloppy and overused. It to be honest was a little off-putting.

So overall, just not my cup of tea. Not completely horrible. There are some good reasons to watch this drama, but I fear it's a little overrated because of the actors in it. Just be prepared for some confusion and a little bit of frustration if you decide to watch this drama. I hope your experience will be better than mine was.

Madame Antoine
Mar 13, 2016
This isn't a drama that you're supposed to take too seriously. It plays fast and loose with many different psychological concepts, but it's by no means a depressing psychological thriller. For the most part, it's lighthearted, playful, and a fun watch. I was surprised by how much I came to really love all the characters (not just the main couple); I thought they were all compelling and contributed really nicely to the overall dynamics. But just because it's a lighthearted watch doesn't mean this drama can't hit the right punches to my heart when our main-couple was sad or hurting.

There have been many criticisms (in the comment section at least) where people complain about how unsympathetic and jerk-like our main-lead is. I thought our main lead was actually very compelling. Look, the entire premise of this show revolves around him experimenting on and deceiving her. But it's not deception for the sake of deception. The show really explores his experiment and why it's important to him; it delves into his past with his mother and the family dynamics he experienced growing up. He's a very complicated character, but just because he doesn't change into this sappy, do-gooder by the 5th episode like every other formulaic "bad guy" drama, doesn't mean this drama isn't worth your time. He falls in love with our main female lead in what I thought was a normal length of time, he wavered in his determination to continue with the experiment, he questioned everything about himself and what he wanted, and it was all SUPER entertaining for me.

Sung Joon was absolutely perfect in his role as the cold-hearted psychologist who doesn't believe in love. And Han Ye Seul was supremely delightful as the observant fortune teller who cares for everyone who crosses her path and asks for their fortune. I also really appreciated and liked the mentor dynamic between Seung Chan and Dr. Mi Ran -- it was sweet, unique, and I really liked how the drama wrapped up their story in particular.

I say ignore all the negativity and give this drama a try. I found it to be really addicting, surprisingly touching, and just a really entertaining watch.

Healer
Oct 21, 2015
This is a really, really good drama. There's a reason why it's included on so many people's 'favorites' list and why it has scored a 9.0 rating overall from everyone who has voted so far on this show.

This is probably your best chance at converting family/friends to the k-drama life--it's a wonderful gateway into k-dramas since it's probably the most relatable, well-rounded, and just all-in-all great without being too over the top like some k-dramas can be guilty of doing.

It's complex and they really build on all the relationships, you really come to care about all the characters. It was a little hard to piece everyone of the 5 friends from the past together at first (who was who)....but once you get past that growing pain (and maybe I was alone on that), it's such a well constructed and beautiful story.

The music was perfect. The OTP was amazing with many great skinship and kissing moments. It was suspenseful, rarely boring, and just all-in-all entertaining. I highly, highly recommend it.

Just watch it! Statistically (based on all the ratings), you stand a really, really good chance of liking it. ;)

Missing 9
Mar 12, 2017
This drama is an interesting examination into the question: "What if a drama was created purely for the purpose of trolling its audience?" Let me just say, regardless of my general distaste for it (more on that later), I'm actually grateful it exists and was attempted. Do I think it was a successful attempt? ....Uhhh no. But there's enough brilliance in here that I think if someone was to know what they were getting into and had ZERO expectations (also if they were a forgiving drama-watcher), they *might* like the journey.

It starts off with EXTREMELY stereotypical characters that have no real depth to them, plus there's so many people in the cast that at times its a bit discombobulating. But probably its greatest strength is evolving these stereotypical characters into really well-rounded and likable characters--especially the leads. Their group connection as the drama progressed really rang true. The female lead is such a strong character throughout and it was brought to life brilliantly by Baek Jin Hee, her dynamic with Jung Kyung Ho's character felt EARNED and was a wonderful portrayal of pure friendship. Jung Kyung Ho in particular really impressed me; his insistence on seeing the best in people, his dedication to the group, and just how he executed this character was great. He also had some really great moments with Oh Jung Se's character. I loved how their connection/friendship manifested in some extremely funny and laugh out loud moments throughout the drama's entire run.

I actually REALLY loved the comedy and parody on drama cliches that were sprinkled in throughout this drama (aka the slight trolling). I honestly wish it focused MORE on that because that's when this drama went to really interesting, human, and heart-felt moments oddly enough. When it wasn't taking itself so seriously, those were the moments where I sat up and thought, "Huh, that was actually quite clever." Unfortunately, most of the time it focused on REALLY serious and scary stuff with the approach of absolutely NO logic whatsoever--it's biggest (and fatal) flaw.

It felt like you were CONSTANTLY waiting for the shoe to drop on these characters with really predictable outcomes. I would have been fine with no logic if it was interesting and also unpredictable throughout, but it wasn't. You could easily tell when something was going to go the survivors way and when it wasn't--I also saw all the twists that happened about a mile away. It was never surprising, but ALWAYS frustrating. Frustrating in that they kept siding with and forcing these characters to be around a character that was an absolutely TERRIBLE and UNFORGIVABLE human being. I give MAJOR props to Choi Tae Joon; he really shined as the villain in this drama in a role I'm never-ever going to forget. But it's MADDENING how his character was handled and I completely understand the people that down-rated this to a 1 or 2 for simply that reason. I understand that the drama was trying to play off the bond between Tae Ho and Joon Oh's characters, but it crossed too many lines to be believable. Delving into details would go into spoiler territory, but I'll just say that the ending is a pure WTF moment. I legitimately thought for about 15 seconds that the characters were all in a psych ward and that the entire drama that came before it was just their made-up 'story.' O_O ....THAT would have been brilliant and understandable. ....Unfortunately, that's not how it ended.

This is truly and honestly the weirdest kdrama I've ever watched. I ended up rating it higher than I thought I would (I gave it a 5.5 rating), but unfortunately its uniqueness and great leads couldn't save the script from the individual(s) responsible for......this. o_O

Signal
Mar 17, 2016
Obviously what I'm about to say is going to piggy-back off of all the other reviews raving about this drama, but I felt like I'd be remiss to not write a review for literally the best drama I've ever seen (to date at least; I'm writing this in March 2016). Normally I'm a person who gravitates to the romantic dramas; my general thought was that any drama I watched needed that element in order to get me 'obsessed' or at least entertained. That notion was blown completely out of the water by this drama--I became completely and utterly fascinated, entertained, and obsessed by the plot and characters alone. Not that there wasn't a slight strain of romance thrown into this drama (it's slightly there); but it's not the driving force of this drama.

The general premises of this show is: "What would you do if you received a transmission from the past?" Would it change things for the better or the worse? What if by saving someone...you would ruin everything? .....Is it worth it? These questions are constantly asked and each time they're brought up it's suspenseful, poignant, and touching. The characters come to life so vividly and clearly in this drama; all three of the main actors impressed me with their roles. The acting in this drama is excellent, it felt like they were real and complex people.

Our first main character is Park Hae Yeong: He's a profiler and lieutenant and discovers this old radio (think walkie-talkie esque) in which he can receive and send transmissions to and from the past. He hates police officers in general; he sees the corruption within an organization that can be bought by people with money and power. He finds himself connected to a detective in the past through these transmissions--why each other? And how are they connected?

That brings me to my absolute favorite character: Lee Jae Han. He first gets a transmission from Park Hae Yeong in 1989. Throughout the years he relies on him in trying to solve his cases and attempting to make the future a better place. No character can pull at my heartstrings like he can. He embodies everything good and heartwarming: like a reluctant and endearing, walking teddy-bear.

Our other main character is Cha Soo Hyun. She's in both time-periods and has been searching for Lee Jae Han ever since he went missing in 2000. She's the team-leader and a very strong and capable female character. The drama shows her roots and how Lee Jae Han influenced her to where she is within the Cold Case Squad team today.

There was never ever a dull moment in this drama. Normally I'm mostly watching with like a computer card game going on in the background. Nope....all of my attention and energy was focused into this drama. It captivated me from beginning to end. I don't regret the time I spent watching this beautiful and poignant masterpiece. It brought tears to my eyes, gasps to my breath, and laughter--it was a roller-coaster of a ride. And I'm sad that it ended. I'll definitely be re-watching this one (and I never re-watch anything)!

The Heirs
Jan 2, 2016
If you look up the definition of "overrated" in the dictionary, THIS is the show that will be described--with the drama picture tucked neatly to the side.

Look, there were only 3 things that were this drama's saving graces (in order of how much I liked them):

1. Kim Woo Bin as Choi Yeong Do. He played this complex character perfectly. In every scene he was in, you would be drawn in--the character came to life with him in the role. The character had the most character growth out of everyone and it actually paid off. From a disinterested bully to a caring and compassionate human being. It was actually interesting to watch his character play out on screen. While I don't particularly like this drama and would probably only recommend it for certain moods, he's certainly at the top of the list as to why you should watch this drama. Just watching his character and storyline is well worth it. I had second lead syndrome big-time.

2. The friendship between Kim Tan's mother and Cha Eun Sang's mother. They were interesting to watch and quite funny at times. I liked how understanding they were of each other. Their dynamic and banter was certainly one of the few saving graces of this show.

3. The Kim Won & Kim Tan brotherly dynamic. A lot of people criticized Kim Tan for being a puppy-dog and following Kim Won around everywhere. It's true, very true. BUT to me, that was actually interesting. I wanted them to get closer--I thought their relationship was somewhat interesting to see play out.

Everything else was just pretty bad. It's pretty predictable and just doesn't have any heart or give you feels....or really anything. After watching it (aside from the amazing performance of Woo Bin)...I'm just left feeling empty. I'm just going to echo what others have said about the plot holes, the draggy-ness, and just the plain boring nature of this drama. Lee Min Ho kind of disappointed me with the character...I didn't feel anything in regards to the OTP's romance. And I found myself rolling my eyes a lot. There was of course, a lot of really unnecessary angst. I think this drama is the KING for the 'I'm going to pass you by and pretend I don't know you moment.' --It was weird, that particular cliche happened (in what felt like) practically every episode to over-the-top, "Oh wait, I have to go back...I made a mistake ignoring him/her." .....like two seconds later. I also didn't like the company shenanigans and I thought there were too many characters that clogged the screen in the high school setting that were pretty unnecessary.

Besides for the 3 gems I managed to find in this drama, it just wasn't an enjoyable experience for me. I hope that should you decide to watch it, you'll have a better experience than what I did. Plus Choi Yeong Do....I don't blame you for watching it, he's worth it.

Faith
Oct 12, 2015
I'm going to get soooooo much flak for this as I see I've rated this the lowest out of all the people who have left reviews so far, but here it goes:

I decided to watch this because I LOVED Lee Min Ho in City Hunter (still of the opinion that THAT show was his best work to date) and because one of my favorite bloggers gave this drama a glowing review.

......I just, I don't know.....don't understand the appeal? First of all, there are 24 episodes. 24!!! If you are familiar with k-dramas you know that the standard is usually only 16 or 20. I felt like the characters kept falling into the same traps over and over again--it was very repetitive, so 24 episodes was in no way necessary. I think it easily could have been done in 16....or to be honest, even 12.

Also, any character that wasn't the OTP.....was super, duper boring (IMO). I just didn't understand how the political drama aspect of this show would be appealing to anyone watching. It was a struggle to even sit through it. I just couldn't bring myself to care about them. And the fight for possession of the &amp;quot;great doctor&amp;quot; got tiresome.

They never explain the supernatural element of super-powers of this drama, which you know....fine. But I found it odd nevertheless.

I thought the OTP had chemistry, so ultimately that was what made me stick with this drama, but there were too few moments between them for me to properly recommend this drama. But the main villain was at times entertaining, so props to that...I suppose?.

I ultimately just found it a repetitive, boring, and convoluted mess. Just wanted to warn anyone out there, but I appear to be in the minority....so feel free to enjoy it and just ignore me. :)

Coffee Prince
Oct 12, 2015
This is one of those classic K-dramas that everyone should absolutely watch. It's a necessity, it's a MUST. Even if you are put-off by the fact that I "only" rated it a 7.5.....you still need to watch it.

First of all, it's very enjoyable. So...let's just put that out there.

But also, it's groundbreaking in at least two ways:

1. Not a lot of Korean dramas deal with homosexuality. It's usually just played for laughs or sometimes even disgust. So the fact that Han Gyul liked Eun Chan before he knew that she was a girl....was a nice aspect of the story, showing that his love for her didn't depend on gender. It was even more-so problematic for him when he found out she was a girl because she betrayed his trust. That was wonderful to see played out on screen.

2. There's off-screen sex. These characters are actually real-human beings that are interested in more than just dead-fish kisses. The secondary couple too! So that was SUPER refreshing to see--there's only a few k-dramas that are realistic on that regard.

So why is my rating "only" a 7.5? .....Eh, I don't know. I found myself having to take a break from watching this every once and awhile. There's not a whole lot that happens--they're basically just running a (yep you guessed it!) coffee shop. Also, I was really bothered by some of the coffee "princes" (ie the male baristas') storylines. Especially Sun Ki....the Japanese character....I was really confused by what was happening and also the point of it all. Also the ending to his minor storyline was super unsatisfying.

But overall, this is a well-rounded and great k-drama that you absolutely should watch. The romance is great and it's well-acted. And again, (I feel like I have to emphasize this point)....much more realistic than the average k-drama couple.

Boys Over Flowers
Oct 12, 2015
Let's just come out and say it: Boys over Flowers is a COMPLETELY ridiculous drama. I can't in good conscience recommend it to anyone with the idea that it is "good"--it's not.

BUT it's suuuuuuuper entertaining in its ridiculousness and it's a cultural phenomenon. Arguably the most popular K-drama ever--it's most likely that if you've gotten into K-dramas there is no way you've escaped this one, you at least have watched a few episodes. It's worth watching for that reason alone. Even though this is a first drama for sooooo many people, I DO NOT recommend watching this as your first K-drama, it has all the classic K-drama tropes for IMO all the wrong reasons. It's just a little too over-the-top (okay, fine....A LOT over the top). But let's say you have a few K-dramas under your belt and are a little more familiar with the. culture of K-dramas, then it *MIGHT* be a good idea for you to watch this....so here are my comments about it:

FYI, that "Paradise" song is going to be stuck in your head for as long as you live. So....you know, you're welcome (I guess?).

Something that is super unique about this drama is that Jan Di (the main lead actress) has a full-fledged, functional, and full family. No parents are dead (although for the latter half of the series her dad leaves to go "work" to support the family...or whatever). She has a mom, a dad, and even a little brother. Let me just say, this is UNHEARD of in a K-drama. I now have about 14 K-dramas under my belt....and this is the first K-drama I've watched where the lead female character has both sets of parents--one or both of them are always dead (usually by some tragedy) OR they just aren't mentioned at all, or one is alive but abandoned the family in some way, etc. It was interesting to watch that family dynamic on a k-drama. Especially for a culture that is very conservative and traditional--an intact family is not the norm in a K-drama, so to see it displayed here was a welcome surprise. Not to say that other characters didn't go through the classic k-drama trope of a broken family in some way or another (see both Jun Pyo and Ji Hoo), but the point is....it wasn't Jan Di.

The mother was super-duper evil (of course), but IMO was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better and more reasonable than the evil mother from Secret Garden (if you've ever watched that k-drama). You can at least see that this mother can be reasoned with, or it *gets* to her in some way where it shows she maybe. has a heart. So no complaints here in that regard.

The general storyline: Uhh....plot holes galore, one angst-filled ride after another. I don't want to leave any spoilers, but anything that normally goes wrong in regards to *angst* and misunderstandings between the main couple WILL happen in this k-drama. So....be prepared.

The love story: Just ONCE, I want to see the reverse that doesn't seem popular in Korea: a rich girl and a poor boy (there are TONS of things in the USA based on this trope, ie the heart-of-gold, rebellious, poor guy and the super wealthy-esque perfect girl). Haven't seen a single k-drama like that. I mean, maaaaybe Nice Guy, but his poorness wasn't the problem and it was more-so revenge based. But yeah, the guy here is super wealthy, powerful, and a huge arrogant jerk.....and Jan Di is the poor, humble girl that stands up to him. They have good chemistry, beautiful sets and location shoots, but the love story definitely isn't ground breaking.

Also, the...I'm gonna call them.... "water-scenes"; I found myself scratching my head a lot. It's a pool (not the pacific ocean!)....couldn't she, I don't know, STAND UP?! No need to use a bum-shoulder in just using her own legs to stand in a pool. It's not like we're talking about 10-feet deep water here. Those are some of the more angsty moments you just have to roll with, but more often I found myself rolling my eyes at its sheer ridiculousness.

So I guess watch this because you kind of have to if you're a K-drama lover. But I hope you don't start off with this one. There are better K-dramas out there, I promise!

Orange Marmalade
Oct 26, 2015
I think this drama would have fared much better if it was entirely set in the Joseon Era (JE). To be honest, those episodes were the only compelling parts of this drama for me. I actually really, really enjoyed those parts and thought for the most part, they were carried out pretty well.

But the high school stuff..... it was bad. Pretty bad. I was struggling to get through those episodes. And I actually fast-forwarded through a lot of the end of this drama.

I think part of the problem was one part of the main couple....didn't really deliver on their role: Seol Hyun--she was too stiff and not emotive enough for me. I didn't really understand her acting choices and so it made it really hard to connect to this character.

Yeo Jin Goo was great though--he was probably the stand-out in this series.

Another problem was obviously the plot. It doesn't transition well between the time periods and also some of the contrivances to move plot along kinda made me cringe. Also, wasn't a big fan of the "band" aspect of this drama either.

The good thing is it is only 12 episodes. And I really do think the Joseon Era stuff is worth watching. Plus, the characters other than Seol Hyun's character are actually quite interesting....especially the bromance between Jae Min and Shi Hoo. But you might just have to grin and bear it with the high school stuff....or do what I did, and fast forward through that stuff.

Postman To Heaven
Dec 14, 2015
I see a lot of very high ratings/reviews for this movie (which is what convinced me to watch it), so I figured I'd give a different perspective (since I appear to be in the minority).

First of all, the cinematography is gorgeous--it's pretty to look at and I appreciated what it brought to the movie in terms of uniqueness.

BUT I'm going to flat out say that I really didn't like this movie; here are my reasons:

1. Lack of character development - they went from being fairly antagonistic with each other, to being pretty angsty about their relationship. I didn't understand why they liked each other--or felt a pull. I felt more depth and emotion toward the characters (grieving a loss) that they were helping than toward each other. Their backstories weren't fleshed out well either--it gave less meaning to what they were doing now in terms of attempting to help people.

2. It didn't explore the: "Is ignorance bliss?" question in detail enough. They did some pretty morally questionable things in the name of trying to quell others' grief. That could have been interesting, instead they only superficially touched on it.

3. It was fairly boring and oddly paced. Maybe this is just a preference issue, but I felt like the movie didn't really flow well. It didn't grab me or pull on my heartstrings (except the last person they were trying to "help"). It was just kind of disappointing and I wish they would have fleshed out the relationship between the two more: ie more sweet moments, more talking about their past, etc.

Hopefully if you choose to watch it, you have a better experience with it than I did. It just wasn't my cup of tea.