• Location: From the abyss

From the abyss
The Dark Lord
Mar 4, 2019
^^^
This is THE most underrated drama. You may be thinking; what? underrated? it has 8 stars, how is it underrated?
That's exactly the point, it deserves so much more. Although this may not be everyone's cup of tea, nobody can deny that it is not impressive. It exceeds so many dramas in story, music, and acting. Oh goodness thank whoever it is that put the cast together, the cast in absolutely stunning and talented (by this I don't mean they are very good looking. To me some of them are pretty average, but their charisma and their talent is undeniable.)

Story- You start off with a bit of an introduction, by the male lead himself, in a decently comedic style. You learn that he is a simple prison guard (no prince, no nothing, just a simple man working) using his brains to cure some of his boredom and making quick cash. Because of money, he quits his current job to do another one. On his way to finishing this job, he meets the one person that changes his course in life. His beloved one. (This is only the first 2-4 episodes) Because of her, you see our male lead proving himself over and over again, just to be with her. You also see him climb up the social ranks, and become more or less of a king. (hence the LORD in The Dark Lord). I won't go in too much detail, because spoilers. BUT this is a C-Drama, that means VERY big plot twists and... the typical C-Drama stuff. And keep in mind, the "Dark" in The Dark Lord has it's meaning. You'll see as you follow our main lead through the first season of his story.
There is a good amount of romance here, but it isn't heavy or shown often. But please, romance lovers. Don't let that throw you off. It's worth the watch.
There is also a really good amount of comedy. The comedy is there to hide the dark undertones of the story.
Yes, it will make you cry, laugh, and gasp in awe. The story and the characters presented are breath-taking, all you have to do is keep an open mind and be ready to try something new, for this will be worth it.

Legend of Awakening
May 12, 2020
Though I did not want to write a formal review, I personally feel like the pacing of the show should be easily accessible to new watchers. Additionally, I wanted to add in some extra thoughts of mine. Pacing will be at the very end of this review <3

Story: Story itself was nice, full of twists and turns, but nothing the Wuxia world is not familiar with. The execution of it though was a "meh" for me. Some episodes were amazing while others fall very flat with no new information.

Acting: I personally thought most of the cast were decent. No one made me cringe at least except for Cheng Xiao, but her and everyone else in the cast got better overtime. Arthur Chen was sometimes iffy with the romance scenes, but in the last few episodes both him and Cheng Xiao showed they had the talent, they just needed more experience (this applies for everyone else in the show too). You won't see any amazing acting, but everyone in the cast is pretty good at crying...

Music: I really loved the intro and outro songs. All the songs used were pretty good, just they have it play at odd times sometimes.

Visuals/Costumes/Set: If you want eye candy in terms of faces, this series offers some. The costumes though... especially at the beginning, costumes don't look good at all. And Cheng Xiao is unfortunately stuck with saturated colours or costumes that don't flatter her appearance at all the entire series. The sets are nice. If you're a frequent watcher of Wuxia and historical Chinese dramas, then some sets will look familiar.

Cinematography: Not many scenes will make you go "wow! that looks nice" except for a few, most of them in later episodes of the series.

Rewatch Value: I personally won't be rewatching this series anytime soon... (I watched the series twice as I do with every show. First time with real impressions (like skipping if I find a scene boring), and a second time from beginning to end with no skips to see if my opinion changes).

Overall: If you like plot development with a lot of dialogue, then you'll probably really like this series. But then again, everything is up to personal taste. In terms of characters, I don't feel the satisfaction I did with some smaller dramas with less known people like Ancient Detective. I'll just say the ending is quite nice though.

Pacing:
First 15ish episodes: I like it, they were nice. Though acting was off, it was cheesy and plot moved relatively well

Episodes 16-35 ish: Super slow and boring. Acting did get better, and characters were
starting to grow on me, but holy damn I skipped so many scenes to save time and I did not miss anything.

Episode 36-44 ish: Plot picked back up. Nothing else to note, felt like the first 15ish episodes. Arthur Chen's acting did get better though in those episodes.

Last 4 episodes: SUPER FAST moving plot, but even though the rest of the series was a big "meh", I personally really loved the ending.

The Plough Department of Song Dynasty
May 8, 2019

TPDoSD is a wuxia drama, with a spin to it. It honestly has a really nice and refreshing modern vibe which I absolutely love.
It's one those dramas that just makes you feel all happy and giddy inside.
The main story is your classic wuxia drama story, with a bad guy wanting to take control of the martial world, and having the main character prevent this disaster, but it works. To be honest, when you're watching this, the side stories are actually what you should focus on instead of the main.
The acting is nicely done, so is the cast. Easy to watch and like the characters.
Visuals and CGI are nothing stunning, but once again, pretty good--
I like the music.
It's not a show that will make you go "holy damn that's amazing", but it's undeniably enjoyably.
Conclusion: Yea, worth the watch. Should be a priority series to start if you have nothing on your list currently--

HIStory3: Trapped
Jun 12, 2019
And the series is finished.
A rollercoaster of emotion I would say.
Here's another one of my brief, short and spoiler-free reviews.
The story was the main element that was driving the four main characters in the first place. Honestly, it was nothing that "wowed" me, but it's twist and turns kept me intrigued and kept me hooked to the series, even when nothing romantic was happening. Same goes for the music, nothing that "wowed" me but everything fit nicely and it did add a lot of emotion. The cast and characters was the main focus of the show. The acting was really great and all emotion could be felt, even with the secondary leads. They has undoubtedly amazing chemistry. The characters also had strong, honest motivations for their every action. Zhao Li An was my personal favourite, for his bubbly, cheerful, but slightly fragile character. I've already watched this series completely three times before the finale aired, and I plan on doing so again now that it has. You will be missing such a gold mine in this years Asian dramas for skipping this one, and this is coming from a usual non romance lover.

We Are Not Human
Jun 6, 2020
I feel like people are missing out on this series so I decided to write a review to give this 2016 piece of art some attention.

NOTE: It's hard to find every episode of the series. Even while browsing the chinese web I couldn't find the rest of the epsisode from ep 24 onwards. I've completed the series up to the existing episodes.

We are not human is a low-budget, short comedy web series. Every episode is around 2 to 5 minutes long. Very super lighthearted and cute. Set in the world of the supernatural with character like a snarky vampire with OCD, a naive zombie that communicates with taoist talismans, an otaku ghost, an enthusiastic sales woman and many more strange characters with their own quirks. It's strange, and most people's first reaction would be "what did I just watch"... but you'll get hooked anyways (unless you get uncomfortable easily).

General production: This series gives off a "bunch of bored university film students came together to do some short series as a joke" kind of vibe... and I'm living for it. It's part of the charm... you can tell how low budget it is, but it's great nonetheless. (Like they used memes are part of their episodes. They legit screen recorded some memes and shoved that footage in... they stopped caring since they started filming lmao)

Story: This short series almost managed to pack in more story than 50 episode long dragged out dramas can. Every character has their own backstory and mystery, and we (really quite quickly.. like cmon, every episode is less than 5 minutes) get to unravel their stories. Although it lacks detail, you're satisfied with what you know.

Acting: Over the top and purposefully done crudely is what I would describe it. It is a comedy series after all.
Cast: These actors managed to get through their scenes and are willing to play such... unnatural characters. Great cast ngl.

Music: I don't remember it. No focus on it.

Rewatch value: I'll 100% rewatch this series as a "oh no some other drama just gave me major depression" type of coping mechanism. Other than that though I feel this is more of a one-shot watch type of series.

Overall: If you like comedy mixed in with a bit of absurdness, this series is bound to intrigue you. This should not be on your drama priority list, but give it a try of you're bored or got nothing else to watch <3
(Episodes can be found on youtube. A kind person translated the series a couple years ago! (Though it isn't complete))

Ancient Detective
Apr 29, 2020
There’s just something really charming about the show that most people would probably agree with me on.

It’s been a great watch, but my one problem with it is that some of the individual case stories tend to drag on for longer than they’re needed.
At first, it was fine, but as it got closer and closer to the last episode, the cases seemed to become draggy. A sense of anxiousness appeared when I was watching episode 20+, because it really felt like our main plot mystery (who is Wang Hua?) would not be resolved.
From the start I anticipated JBZ, but the reveal really left me unsatisfied.

I know all of this is a setup for season 2, and Wang Hua and his history would probably be dove into a bit more. But unless they’re 100% confident there will be a season 2, that ending really leaves a sense of emptiness (like seriously, main couple half-sour happy ending and secondary couple’s sad ending really isn’t making a hole in my chest).

Questionable ending aside:

Plot/Story: As said before, everything is really well executed, except for the ending.

Acting/Cast: In my opinion, perfect. Their acting is nothing out of this world, but you can feel that they’re human and their emotions. Once again, “charming” is what I would describe the cast and acting.

Set/Costume/Visuals: All really well done. Nothing looks strange or out of place, and no costume’s colour looks too saturated or de-saturated. World building is also really great. Let me just mention I really want JBZ’s drape/fur cloak thing.

Music: I LOVED IT. There aren’t many drama OST’s I can remember, but the music in the series is something to appreciate.

Rewatch value: Before the ending aired, I already watched the first 18 episode 3 times. This is a matter of if you want to follow through with a rewatch.( I personally watch shows from start to end at least 4 times.)

Overall: I recommend, but if you are not used to watching Chinese dramas with cliffhangers (basically 40% of them), then this will leave you very unsatisfied.
This for me is a personal 10, but will probably be an 8, 8.5 to the general public.

Sword Dynasty
Jan 19, 2020
If you are familiar with the Chinese Xianxia/Wuxia genre (dudes with long hair and swords, females with elegant gowns and beautiful headpieces, magic, sects, demons etc), then this is one to skip. As someone who has watched more than my fair share and read so many books in this genre, I can say it's very, very disappointing.

I had high hopes before this aired. And when it did, I was ecstatic and manage to binge the first 8 initial release episodes as I usually do. The beginning is like any other beginning of this show type. Nothing extravagant, but it was good. But starting from the 20th episode or so, things started to roll downhill. Characters seem to come and go, plot points seem to vanish into the void and appear out of some other dimension, and our leads seem to have more mood and allegiance changes than a 13 year old girl. I ended up dropping it and only recently picked it back up and finished it.

Story: ^^^ I think that was a decent explanation of what I thought

Acting and cast: The leads didn't have much material to work with, so nothing impressive, but the acting definitely wasn't bad. One thing though, the leads have basically no chemistry, or the script didn't manage to let the actors convey their emotions properly. Other than the leads, everyone is basically forgettable, except for the old master of the ML. I quite like that dude.

Music: Forgettable.

Rewatch Value: Probably not unless I'm desperate.

Overall it's just... weird and weak. Weird and weak pacing. Weird and weak motivations. Weird and weak chemistry. Weird and weak characters. Weird and weak plot. It had potential, but the show simply couldn't use it.
If you haven't seen much if this genre though, try it. You might have a better opinion of the show. If you are frequent viewer of this genre though, move on and watch something better.

Ever Night
Mar 25, 2019
Where do I start?
1. It has some of the most beautiful cinematography in film in general. By that, I mean it can easily compare to your Hollywood movies and series. What will likely happen is, no matter where you pause in whichever episode, you will most likely end with a really pretty picture.
2. THE SOUNDTRACK. GOODNESS. Most of the music isn't memorable enough to be stuck in your head, but it has a strong enough impact for you to remember it in the back of your mind, without it feeling annoying. And by this, I don't only mean the original music, but also other songs used in the series. Whether its paired up with a good fight-scene, or amazing cinematography, you will remember it.
3. The cast is amazing. Not only does it have veteran, A-list actors, but you also get new faces as lead characters, who play their roles really well. It is something to be praised, and indescribable unless you watch the series.
4. The story is really good. but it isn't the thing that will make you keep watching. You come for the story, but you stay for the visuals and the feeling the series gives you.
Other things to mention: The costumes are stunning. Like really pretty. Also, it be best if you don't get too attached to the main lead (even though that's literally impossible). You won't see him next season.

Tokyo Ghoul S
Mar 25, 2020
I'll make this short. In summary, it's a pretty decent movie.

If you are a newcomer to Tokyo Ghoul, and got introduced through the movies, you would like it. If you are a Tokyo Ghoul Manga/Anime fan, this should not disappoint either.

Story: Follows the manga/anime except for one part. The gladiator arena scene is replaced by something of much smaller scale, which in my opinion was a good idea, to keep pacing.

Acting: Acting was definitely the highlight of the movie. Matsuda Shota brought the creepiness of Tsukiyama perfectly, and Kubota Masataka did a great job as usual. Everyone else did pretty good too. The actress change for Touka was seamless, at least for me. I didn't realize the actress even changed until I read it online.

Music: Honestly, nothing memorable. It was not bad though.

I see myself rewatching it. I don't crave for it, that's for sure, but if I feel bored then I might rewatch.

Overall: Nothing revolutionary, but it's not bad at all. Give it a watch if you like blood, gore, lighter feels and/or Tokyo Ghoul.

The Legend of Zu
Jan 21, 2019
Story= at the beginning, it's your typical fantasy Wuxia storyline, but damn it diverges a bit at the end, making it really interesting and hooking you at every second.

Acting= wooOooOO can't express how good the leads are. Some of the support characters can be off though, but they are all pretty good

Music= fits the story. nothing special.

Spoilers=
gosh damn when the male lead turned all dark and stuff, best part of the series. The acting is amazing for those couple of episodes, and unlike other series, he has the guts to kill and stuff on the spot without pondering for two whole episodes. worth

Take My Brother Away
Jan 12, 2019
Honestly, it is one of the cutest, funniest and dramatic shows I've seen.

Story- It has a fine, pretty ordinary story, but they manage to tell it in a compelling/interesting way. The one problem is that sometimes story.. doesn't really exist? Like, the characters have lines... but they aren't gonna be really significant. They have lines for the sake of having lines basically.

Acting- Really good acting and cast, especially the two mains. The support characters are also really good, but one of my personal favourites is the actor for young Shi Fen.

Music: It has some weird music, but it fits the scenario. Some music just gives you this slightly uncomfortable felling though, but other than that, yep, all is good.

Overall- worth it. worth checking out. worth watching. will rewatch in the future.