Details

  • Last Online: 7 days ago
  • Gender: Female
  • Location:
  • Contribution Points: 0 LV0
  • Roles: VIP
  • Join Date: January 22, 2023
  • Awards Received: Finger Heart Award1 Flower Award2
Completed
Moonlight Mystique
14 people found this review helpful
by kdmd
Feb 1, 2025
40 of 40 episodes seen
Completed 0
Overall 9.0
Story 9.0
Acting/Cast 8.0
Music 10
Rewatch Value 9.5

Unbelievably Beautiful, Robust Story

This is the most beautiful drama I have ever seen. The money spent on scenery, sets, costumes, music, CGI must have been astronomical!

The beauty of the costumes and CGI is BEYOND THIS WORLD. I can only imagine being able to create such beauty back in the day when the folks in charge had thousands of slaves to sweat and strain for thousands of hours to achieve such effects. No kidding! I have never seen outfit after outfit covered in sparkling beads, layers, and jewel-toned colors. A true level above all the other wonderful costumes I have ever seen. I don't know how they made all the costumes and accessories given that, I think, they need multiple copies to film in them day-after-day. They absolutely have to win an award for costuming in this, especially considering the different costume themes needed for the different "segments" of the drama.

Re the CGI, the trend for purple, pink, blue, and sunset jewel tones that I noticed in "Love You Seven Times" (an underrated gem) was continued here to its fullest. Stunning! And the sets as well were creatively planned, visually extremely interesting, and jammed with lovely colors, textures, and items. I could practically yank out my eyeballs and not be sad for the rest of my life from having seen enough beauty to last.

The OST music was to die for. I was singing along because the songs were so good (such as "Under the Moon"). Another one, "Flowers Fall With No Trace," has this plaintive wailing tone combined with a bit of a rapping driving energy that is incredible.

Oddly, the only visual area where they were a bit light was the make-up. In one "segment," for instance, in the world of the Outlanders, actors seemingly didn't wear any foundation/base at all, with their real skin flaws showing through: very unusual!

The story was typical in a few basic aspects (such as under-cover villains), but putting it all together it was immensely entertaining, had multiple segments with different characters and focuses, and more than enough life-and-death drama to fill two shows.

Beyond the main stars (Bai Lu is all you really need, right, since she is SO GOOD), all the other actors, including well-know character actors, were all quite good.

There were a few areas where I did think the drama fell a bit short: the evilness and the emotional scenes.

The evil characters really didn't seem that mean to me. Yes, they did bad things, but their manner did not seem all that menacing or ugly, so I couldn't really feel the horror. One villain was, I think, supposed to be creepy and "slick" in his elegant and calm evil, but it just felt flat to me. Felt the same way about the other main key evil guy. Just not evil enough. And the terrible world-wide impacts of the evil guys didn't seem too evil or we didn't see them. In fact, the ML also didn't seem "heavy" enough to me. I could have used a bit heavier, more grounded, more adult feeling from him to match the larger-than-life feeling of the female lead. Maybe they thought that would make the drama seem too comic-book-like, but I could have used just a bit more here and there. (I think about the drama "Till the End of the Moon" and the sharp and grounded presence of Luo Yun Xi.) A bit more hissing, ranting, and cruelty from the villains, please.

The hardest part I had with the drama were the emotional scenes. They were excessive and left no stone unturned; every single relationship and nuance was worked through in exhaustive detail, EXCEPT the scenes where the ML and FL were going through the process of falling in love and then the love scenes between them. Yes, there were a lot of heads-resting-on-shoulders scenes, but joy, amazement, curiosity, intrigue, all the emotions a "person" goes through while falling in love happen off screen or not at all. There is also no flirting, teasing, stomach-fluttering, line-crossing sexiness, and no physicality except for hugging and kissing, some great and some not-so-great.

And I want to give a shout-out to Dai Lu Wa for being so good at playing the 2FL role. Yes, she is stunningly beautiful and the role/character is a heart-wrenching and pitiful one, so it would be hard NOT to like her, but she played it very well.

So very beautiful and immersive, the highest-quality production I have ever seen. Far and above any others in production values.

Read More

Was this review helpful to you?
Completed
Cinderella at 2 AM
31 people found this review helpful
by kdmd
Sep 24, 2024
10 of 10 episodes seen
Completed 5
Overall 9.0
Story 10
Acting/Cast 10
Music 6.0
Rewatch Value 8.0

GREAT Acting, Story, Cast, Humor, Production Values, Length. It's Both Sweet and Realistic.

I finally signed up for an MDL account just so that I could write a review to balance other reviews that seem to be written by people who did not actually watch this excellent and professional show.

This is a VERY GOOD show: a bit sweet, a bit funny, a bit modern, a bit warmhearted, a bit tear-jerking. It was just the right length for me, without all the excessive political intrigue and evil characters. The "recommendations" include What's Wrong With Secretary Kim, so that gives you an idea of the "feel," just a bit more compact. The production values are high (with the exception of one blue screened backdrop of the city of Madrid), the music is good, everything is top-notch even though it is a shorter length. The script is tight with good dialog that enters a relationship mid-way and then references back to previous events (as many dramas do). I like the unusual 10-episode length, and it is possible that they arrived at that because of production scheduling issues. Any cuts that might have removed the storylines or scenes of peripheral characters are all good as far as I am concerned. The story as shown is tight as a drum and still includes the now standard "social issue" message, this time against violence and bullying. (There is, however, too much drinking going on, even more than usual in a Korean workplace-based shows.) What really blows my mind are the reviews that say that the script/plot/story is bad or not understandable. This is IMHO totally UNTRUE. Some reviewers seem to take exception to the idea that the FL could agree to stop dating the ML. In real life many woman stop seeing their current boyfriend when they realize that a long-term relationship won't work out. And many of these women in real life still like or love their boyfriends when they decide to end the relationship. It happens all the time; many relationships unfold just as that of the ML and FL does. Many of the negative reviewers mentioned that they did not understand the title of the show. It is explained in the first episode, further explained mid-way through, and referenced a number of times with "glass slipper/broken shoe" events and references to Cinderella. The actors include some excellent newbies and many, many seasoned favorite actors with tons of experience. Their acting is pitch-perfect for this comedy/drama. The ML did a wonderful job of portraying the sweet, devoted boyfriend and the FL did a great job portraying the dedicated professional woman. Their love/chemistry was very warm, joyous, and, later, realistic. The secondary couple and the two mothers are actors that are the best in the business for both campy comedy and melodrama and bring additional energy and chemistry. I don't understand what is behind the poor reviews. What could motivate people to be so false?

Read More

Was this review helpful to you?
Completed
The Dream of Red Mansions
9 people found this review helpful
by kdmd Finger Heart Award1
Jan 20, 2025
50 of 50 episodes seen
Completed 0
Overall 9.5
Story 9.5
Acting/Cast 9.5
Music 9.5
Rewatch Value 5.5

Ahead of It's Time: Superb, Immersive Masterpiece

I watched this because it was Yang Yang's first role, and a lead role at that. As the family's troubles (mostly troubles for the women) grow, the scenes get darker, narrower, and moodier. The cinematography was superb, with a narrowing and darkening of view taking you deeper and deeper into the horror story of the terrible lives and indifferent cruelty of these women and men. I loved all the things that I understand the Chinese audience did not like upon its release: the hairstyles, the music, the casting. The clothes were beautiful and realistic and the sets stunning! The music was atmospheric and AMAZING, although I benefited by not being able to understand the slow lyrics (where they occurred); they were just moody tones to me. Yang Yang's performance (and that of Jim Yu, the actor who played him younger) was superb! Yang Yang showed much greater facial expression and honest feeling than I have seen him exhibit in other roles. So he has a lot of natural talent. (Maybe he is trying hard now to be "a cool star, an idol.") And, of course, the director did a great job pulling wonderful performances out of all the actors. For example, nearly all the crying scenes were the realistic blubbering that you would expect of characters in these positions, rather than the boring masked, one-rolling-tear exhibited in other dramas. I would compare this to "My Journey to You" in its investment in artistic realism and moody subtlety. Given that it was 50 episodes long, it maintained just the right balance between staged production and heart-wrenching, wretched realism. One negative is that the show probably could have made its point in fewer episodes. Half-way through, you know where it is going, and you have to commit to staying on the ride. I have the feeling that this plot line must have been a very true translation of the original book. The narration throughout was very helpful in clarifying plot points (see the prior review regarding the Jade and the Flower), and I understand both it and the dialog were close to the book as well. As I stated in the title, I think that this was ahead of its time for artistic development in a production. IMPORTANT NOTE: Please be sure to pay attention to the ML's dream and what he does following the dream. The situation is set up at the end of Episode 2 and the dream occurs at the beginning of Episode 3. This dream sets up "The Dream of Red Mansions," which provides the meaning of the movie and the ML's responsibility for what happens in the rest of the show. It provides, if you think about it, the reason why the viewer will gradually come to understand that this is not a love story at all, despite its focus on relationships.

Read More

Was this review helpful to you?
Completed
The Early Spring
23 people found this review helpful
by kdmd Flower Award1
15 days ago
24 of 24 episodes seen
Completed 0
Overall 10
Story 8.0
Acting/Cast 10
Music 10
Rewatch Value 10
This review may contain spoilers

WOW! So Real, So Warm, So Amazing: Dominant CEO Romance Turned to GOLD!!!!!!!!

I am insanely IN LOVE with this show. I also loved the Korean version of "Nevertheless" for the same reasons that I love this show. They both have:
--Incredible, vulnerable actors giving it their all in every performance.
--A very realistic love story with fallible people.
--Crying scenes where the tears actually come out of the leads' tear ducts.
--Excellent and realistic sets and locations and beautiful cinematography across the board.
--Heart warming secondary characters who are also wonderful actors acting like adults.
--An exciting, logical script within a fairly average plot that doesn't try to do too much, so we can focus on the relationship.
--A GREAT OST.
--Beautiful warm, modern, normal, adult, SENSUAL love scenes (no nudity of course) in bed and other places where people actually get sexy and the leads actually rumple their pajamas.
--The sexy scenes are sprinkled throughout, so you don't have to wait until the very end for any romance.
--Off the map chemistry and cinematography that doesn't rely on pretend kissing.
--Proactive ML who is dominant, but respects the FL's boundaries and asks permission.
--Realistic chemistry that gives hugs, hand holding, and snuggling their rightful place and doesn't just go for one sexy kiss as the single symbol of the close relationship.

In the story, neither party shares their insecurities or concerns fully, which is very much like real life. (Yes, IRL after so much time together, you would have thought that they would have shared more sooner. That said, I was in a similar relationship and really, you have less time together than one would think, so you maximize happiness and don't spend time revisiting old wounds.)

The story also shows each character's personal insecurities and pressures equally. Many people in reviews call this a toxic relationship, but I disagree. The FL was the one who rightly wanted to keep the relationship secret. In such a situation, this is the right thing to do, but men IRL and in this show don't like it, so they were both put in difficult situations. The ML was verbally cynical, non-trusting, and not gentle (not abusive) when he was hurt and angry, not at any other time, and he was rarely hurt and angry. I know many people who lash out when hurt, especially those who need to learn how to communicate. The FL also did not do enough to assure the ML that she loved him, but this is NOT my definition of true abuse and toxicity, just an opportunity for characters to grow. (Maybe other viewers would rather the ML's problem to overcome be lack of hygiene or alcoholism and the FL's problem be kleptomania and lying.) I think that the problem issues to overcome here are appropriate because they can be overcome by honesty and more expressive love.

The female lead has very low-key facial responses, but still emotes like crazy. She is a WONDERFUL actress and a perfect foil for the ML's character who is also hiding behind a shell, but doing so in a somewhat more expressive manner. I am not familiar with Jing Bo Ran's prior work, but I looked him up on MDL and I now see how prolific he is in both dramas and movies. I can see why. He is PHENOMENAL, my new favorite.

Even with a few episodes devoted to mandatory State-sponsored tourism advertisements and social issues (here, workplace harassment), the rewatch factor is OFF THE CHARTS. I want to see these two leads together in other shows.

Read More

Was this review helpful to you?
Completed
The Scandal
13 people found this review helpful
by kdmd
7 days ago
8 of 8 episodes seen
Completed 0
Overall 9.0
Story 8.0
Acting/Cast 9.0
Music 8.0
Rewatch Value 10
This review may contain spoilers

Too Much Going On, Despite Excellent Acting by Leads

I have to preface the following comments by saying that I don't like these types of stories in general, the ones where you squirm as characters make mistakes and wrong decisions and pointlessly do bad things to each other. But the real difficulty that I had with the show is that it spent an extraordinary amount of time trying to be both a tragic love story between the ML and FL and a story of innocence and corruption and revenge within the prison of social convention. It is hard to do both. For the tragic love-story, we have to feel empathy for both parties, but that went on for so long, it messed with the corruption story. I imagine that they were trying to ensure both lead actors had robust, complex parts, but it messed things up. (If I thought that the US movie "Dangerous Liaisons" was trying to do a lot, this show unfortunately tripled the effort.)
Trying to lean into both the love story and the corruption gave the leads so much to do, that it seemed difficult for them to really lean into the aspects of the characters. One minute they were good, the next bad, with some redundancy. If the director didn't film in chronological order, I don't really know how the two leads were able to do it. It seems they are both focusing on meaty roles that expand, deepen, and challenge their acting skills. Great applause for both of them; they did a great job here.

One benefit of the complexity is that you don't know who the ML will wind up with in the end and you can go back to rewatch having a better understanding of what the ML and FL were actually feeling in the moment. I would definitely recommend rewatching to really see the acting of the two leads. I can say that the story is significantly changed from the book and movies on which it is based, with much of the change made to tell the story within historic Korean society structures, rather than French society.

Here and there, this show uses a movie technique of a God-like humorous narrator watching the futile, ineffectual efforts of man. It is ostensibly the voice of the town story-teller, delivered in a traditional Korean sing-song style, to narrate certain parts of the show. Unfortunately for people like me, it was intolerable and I had to turn off the audio when it came on. Worse, the frequently vulgar narrator, accompanied by comedic music, was used in some of the scenes showing the ML's sexual playboy lifestyle. I think this was to help shy, perhaps Korean, audiences overcome their embarrassment watching such scenes. But it was a total scene destroyer, and needless for the plot, which is essentially a tragedy, not a comedy. The use of this was a giant misstep by the producers and really prevented folks from feeling the true aching futility of the storyline. It created a distance from the characters that inhibited the viewers' emotions from being stirred.

Yes, there was some nudity, but it was not vulgar or extreme. It was there to reveal the ML's true feelings towards the two 2FLs and his actual humanity. This is because, since he was trying to fool people throughout, it was his behavior that revealed more than his words. And both of these two female actresses seemed a bit miscast to me, and didn't seem to fully inhabit their characters in a deeply relatable way. But this may be due to the complex script or because it may have been hard to find actresses willing to take on the nudity in these roles for fear of being penalized in the future.

Read More

Was this review helpful to you?
Completed
Pursuit of Jade
8 people found this review helpful
by kdmd
Mar 30, 2026
40 of 40 episodes seen
Completed 0
Overall 9.0
Story 9.5
Acting/Cast 9.0
Music 9.0
Rewatch Value 8.0

Great Story, Production, Acting. Thank you to 2ML/2FL for Bringing the Sizzle

I'll be honest: I watch these things primarily for the romance, but good production values do go a long way toward my enjoyment. The military armor in this was stunning and got a workout in the exciting fight scenes. The story was excellent, lots of political intrigue, military battles and encampments, and only a tiny bit of humiliation, but none of the torture that you can find in these shows. That said, I was looking for the romance between the ML and FL to get "spicy" and I waited a very, very, very long time for not much payoff. I guess this was in keeping with the book, but to have so much palpable love with little follow through, with the FL pushing the ML away all the time, well, it made me feel bad for the ML. When we finally had the consummation scene, it was over in about two camera angles. I just feel like the ML was waiting for the FL to mature, but physically, she never really grew out of the Tom Girl stage. This is unfortunate since the story is primarily about her growth. Matching the FL's vibe, I think, kept Zhang Ling He's performance a bit immature as well, since he did not seem as weary and "grizzled" a warrior as someone with 10 years on the battle field would be. He had the harder time, because his role was to figure out the mystery, rather than to have any significant character development. (Therefore, it wasn't a performance on the level of "My Journey to You.") The saving grace was the performance of the 2nd leads, smoking hot Deng Kai and Snow Kong, who really brought the sizzle to the screen. Yet, I experienced mixed feelings here, since the 2FL's character was being forced into the relationship and the 2ML (Deng Kai) was undeniably crazy. Deng Kai often plays this role, but here he committed 1000% and was superb. He even did something good at the end for those who were rooting for him. Lin Mu Ra, who played his equally villainous brother was stellar as well. There were other romances, but nothing to write home about. So, even though Zhang Ling He, who is my most favorite ML (thinking "Story of Kunning Palace" and "The Princess Royal") was the lead, I was feeling as frustrated as his character probably was. Therefore, there are a number of other military/romance shows that I have liked a lot better, such as "Wonderland of Love" with Xu Kai and Jing Tian.

Read More

Was this review helpful to you?
Completed
The Worst of Evil
5 people found this review helpful
by kdmd
Sep 28, 2024
12 of 12 episodes seen
Completed 0
Overall 10
Story 10
Acting/Cast 9.5
Music 10
Rewatch Value 9.5
This review may contain spoilers

INCREDIBLE Story, Acting, Production; Sure to Be Re-Made by Production Crews Across the World.

The spoiler is at the end and marked.

I concur with everything written by Shinnosuke_Lee, including the evaluation of the ending.

This was an INCREDIBLE show in all the ways that reviewer mentioned. Loved it all. They all were incredible performances. I double-foot stomp BIBI's performance. It was great and a needed breath of fresh air in the overall cast of characters. The story really is stellar with constant twists and edge of your seat drama. (When the violence got too much for me (as an older viewer), I just turned off the audio and/or covered my eyes.) The cinematography, the editing, etc. were phenomenal. I expect this to be remade a number of times by various artists across the world, because the story holds up so well and can be set in many parts of the globe. What more would you want in a cops-robbers/love story? I am surprised that the rating overall on MDL is not higher.

(I did have an issue with the Disney digitization which gave a slight green cast to the footage. This emphasizes the film noir effect, but I don't like it. I was a video editor, so most people, other than folks like me, will likely not be bothered by it.)

SPOILER:
I note that some reviewers think that the drug boss's motivation is money/success. I concur only in that he believes that this will win the love/respect of his childhood sweetheart, which is his ultimate goal--the same goal as that of the ML, which is to win the love/respect of his wife. (A reviewer compared the drug boss to Jay Gatsby in the novel "The Great Gatsby" and I concur.) The FL has "the face that launched a thousand ships," as they say of Helen of Troy. And I think that the FL lead was able to feel empathy (NOT love) for the drug boss, just as the ML was able to feel empathy for the Chinese drug negotiator--but the true love remained between the ML and FL, as evidenced by her continued pleads for him to be pulled from the operation.

Regarding the ending, IMHO the ML again sacrificed himself and his marriage for both the FL and drug boss, with whom he had developed a strong relationship. The drug boss had an "honorable" death and the FL didn't have to take the blame for his death. Therefore, the ML remained true to his character of protecting those that he loved, he didn't "turn evil." If the FL realizes this in time, then perhaps there may be a way for them to get back together.

Regarding the title of the drama, I wonder if the writer is trying to say that the worst evil is often the things we do for love. Did both men destroy themselves to gain the love of a woman? (Back to Helen of Troy) It is true that people do terrible things to protect their loved ones or to protect/foster the God they love or to avenge those that they love. Food for thought.

Read More

Was this review helpful to you?
Completed
Flourished Peony
1 people found this review helpful
by kdmd Flower Award1
Feb 5, 2025
32 of 32 episodes seen
Completed 0
Overall 9.0
Story 10
Acting/Cast 9.5
Music 6.0
Rewatch Value 7.0
This review may contain spoilers

What I Didn't Know: Unfinished Love Story. Part 2 is Planned.

This drama ends with a note from the producers essentially saying Look Forward to Part 2. So now I see why they dragged out the love story, which is the only reason why I watched. It had better come soon, as they set up some new actors and launched some new vendettas in the last few episodes. So fair warning, if you are looking for even a kiss in Part 1, keep dreaming.

The main reason to see this, beyond the women's suffrage message, is the incredible acting of the three leads, which is great across the board. Even among three people, Wei Zhe Ming stands out; primarily because the script gave his character so many places to go. He has really demonstrated his acting chops here, including some blubbering crying at his lowest point. He has definitely "gone for broke," as they say. Li Xian just beams at Yang Zi throughout the show. I have rarely seen an actor do such a great job at glowing with manly love while also exuding a suave playboy character trait. So pretty to watch. I am as straight as they come, but on behalf of this ML, even I want to reach out and give the pretty FL a good squeeze--the yearning is so palpable. Speaking of pretty, the only small downside in Yang Zi's performance is that, even when she is at her lowest, she still is looking so beautiful and calm. (I have watched a lot of her shows and have never, ever, seen her looking so good, way beyond the "beauty skin filter" effect.). With dirt and blood all over her, it is still hard for her to twist her face into something that looks gritty and desperate. Still, as always, her acting is great.

An irony here, which perhaps with be touched on in Part 2, is that the FL states that she can live well without a man. That might be true for many women, but the FL has faced so many near death experiences (a lot for a 32 episode series!) and importantly has been rescued or helped by the ML just as many times as she has helped herself. So frankly, while she can help herself, she wouldn't be alive to do so without the ML having helped her.

Also, if you don't like people who focus on accumulating wealth, skip this, because, in Part 1 at least, the ML and FL are all about the money and calculating every nickel (yen) owed. It can get tiring, as it is, IMHO, not an American value. Fingers crossed that the focus on money is also one of the issues they will address in Part 2. Since I didn't read the book, I have no clue as to what lies ahead. I hope they release Part 2 before I cease to care.

Read More

Was this review helpful to you?
Completed
Love You Seven Times
1 people found this review helpful
by kdmd
Jun 7, 2025
38 of 38 episodes seen
Completed 0
Overall 9.5
Story 9.5
Acting/Cast 9.5
Music 8.0
Rewatch Value 10

Beautiful Story, Beautiful Production, Beautiful Lead Couple

I am editing this review again: Why aren't people talking about this show? It is totally wonderful and a real enjoyment for people who watch romance stories for the LOVE STORY rather than the political intrigue. Seven different love stories here: what's not to like? And they are all experienced by the same lead couple with a happy ending and stunning production values and great acting. Some marketing creature put a whammy on this show for no good reason, and I'd like to grab them by the lapels and give them a piece of my mind.
--------------------------------

I wrote the below review at least a year ago, but still think about this show. It really is GREAT and both the ML and FL are excellent in it. The costumes are stellar and the romance is absolutely wonderful. It is great being entertained by a different "world" in each of the Seven Times. I will watch it again soon.
--------------------------------
Another reviewer claimed that they would be different from the folks who hate everything or love everything. Sorry, I can't be that discriminating because all the things I look for in a drama were there: lovely couple with chemistry, beautiful costumes and scenery, believable storyline and dialogue, strong heart-wrenching love story, absence of complicated political intrigue. (Having never read the book, I have no criticism regarding how it did or didn't align with the book.) This show was STELLAR in a number of ways: its beauty, the sweet and wrenching love story/stories, and the multiple characters that the leads played.

I especially loved this because I saw the ML in TV interviews say that the FL was "different from other actresses" and describe some of her habits and behaviors in very endearing terms. I also saw him interact with her in the follow-on cast game-show. That phrase "different from...." and how he acted on the cast gameshow conveyed to me that he had a crush on her. How she felt about him, I don't know. They have been on many variety shows together. And I say this even though I am absolutely sure that almost all of the "shipping" that is done by fans is total rubbish. (One other real "shipping" was Bai Lu and Zhang Ling He. I think he was head over heels for her.) So believing that the ML had a crush on the FL made Love You Seven Times even sweeter for me.

And let me just say this, seeing how nerdy/innocent the ML actor is in real life (from the gameshow and interviews), I have a much greater appreciation for his acting talents. For example, in real life, when he ran up to the stairs at the big awards show to help Esther Yu gracefully come down the stairs, he was just being his kind, thoughtful, schoolboy self with no pretense of being sophisticated and false. What a (geeky) sweetheart. Every time he gets in front of the camera, he is changing himself into a totally different person through excellent acting.

While the FL received some criticism for her acting, I thought that she was just fine (not to mention stunningly beautiful). She matched the characters she played very well, and as another reviewer mentioned, as the story went on, she was able to show more of her talent and feel a bit more relaxed in her acting. She is totally FINE to be a lead actress. She did well. I am sure that in future, once there is some distance between the viewers and the smear campaign undertaken by who knows who for who knows what purpose, many more people will see the joy in this show.

Read More

Was this review helpful to you?
Completed
Melo Movie
1 people found this review helpful
by kdmd
Mar 10, 2025
10 of 10 episodes seen
Completed 2
Overall 10
Story 10
Acting/Cast 9.5
Music 8.0
Rewatch Value 9.5

Lovely Little Jewel With Old Stars and New

First, the script and story ROCK! I am so, so, SO glad that they didn't try to turn this into a 12- to 20-episode show by adding more misunderstandings and digging pointlessly deeper into side character's storylines. It was perfect at 10 episodes. It was about meaningful issues regarding love and life, beautifully filmed, written, and acted. The second half was even richer than the first, bringing everything together in a very satisfactory way.

While the plot is built around two love stories, as usual in Korean dramas, don't expect everything to be "happy, happy." Essentially, the main theme is loss, letting go, and moving forward. Every critical character faces this challenge. One storyline revolves around the issue of falling in love at a young age. I think that this storyline would be very compelling for any young, attractive actor or actress who is lucky enough to play a role in this production. (Maybe even some of the actors in this very production.) Yet really, it should be compelling for anyone, because these storylines are true to "real life" and quite relatable, even if you aren't currently experiencing similar issues.

Regarding the acting, it was SUPERB! So many stand outs! I concur with other reviewers that Kim Jae Wook has been under-used in the industry. I don't know why, since he is a standout in every show he performs in. (Watch him in "Antique" if you can.) He always shines, so I have to believe that it is his choice or industry prejudice. He was lovely here. And, while I usually think Ko Chang Seok is disturbingly over-the-top in his roles, this time he hit the nail on the head and was absolutely perfect as a seasoned, although failing director. He was a breadth of fresh air in the dense emotion of the show overall. To be honest, as usual in these Netflix shows, I find the secondary characters generally are more realistic than in Korean or Chinese-produced shows. Here, this lower-key approach helped not only Ko Chang Seok's performance, but also Kim Young Woong's.

ML Choi Woo Shik's role seemed to have been made for him. He almost stepped right out of one of the cooking variety shows in which he has appeared directly into this role. So he was perfect in it and did an amazing job, his best since Parasite, IMHO. (Although he was fabulous, and even a bit more lovable in "Our Beloved Summer," but maybe I just related better to that OBS character?)

In the role of second ML, Lee Jun Young KNOCKED my socks off. He was AMAZING, carrying so much of the visceral depth of the show! Such a nuanced and heart-felt performance. He nailed every scene, wearing his heart on his sleeve in every one. (I look forward to seeing him in his other roles.) And the script thankfully gave the second ML and FL as full a storyline as the main leads'.

Honestly, while the drama was deeply moving all around, as far as acting, most of the heart came from the men's performances. The women all ran a bit cold, and I had trouble seeing the FL's softness. I guess that was in the casting and intentional to balance the men and give them the spotlight. The women's acting was great, don't get me wrong, and each had her moments to let her character shine but for real on-screen emoting, it was the men. Oh, and also the child actors who portrayed the ML and FL. They were great as well, with each hitting their "primary emotion" out of the park.

The only thing that I was not as happy with were the songs that were included in the show. This was disappointing to me, since the second ML was a composer/song writer and much ado was made about a film's "OST" as they call it in Asian dramas these days. While I LOVED the general instrumental background music (all original, I presume), the vocal "songs" for me were very "meh," if not outright irritating for their poor translation into English or quirky modern lyric style (whichever is the reason for their odd wording). Maybe it was the translations or the tunes that made them seem much more immature than the story and characters? But, all in all, the songs really had very minor impact on my experience.

So overall, a great re-watch value and a great little jewel box of a show (just like all the locations, come to think of it: little jewel boxes each.). Congratulations to all involved! This show definitely deserves a 9+ rating.

*********Also, FYI, in a research tour-de-force MDL reviewer "Arthur" let us know where the episode titles came from. Check it out!

Read More

Was this review helpful to you?
Completed
My Journey to You
1 people found this review helpful
by kdmd
Oct 11, 2024
24 of 24 episodes seen
Completed 0
Overall 10
Story 10
Acting/Cast 10
Music 10
Rewatch Value 10

Stunning! Like a movie. DO NOT MISS it.

Incredible scenery, cinematography, music, acting, plot. It was all fabulous, like a high-budget movie. The acting was sensitive and realistic. The story was dark and heart-wrenching. It had the appropriate number of twists and minimal distracting subplots. You could truley feel the fear, desperation, hate, and hope lived by these characters. So moving! There was a new beautiful actor who blew my socks off. I hope fake social media gossip doesn't ruin his very promising career. This production raises the bar for other dramas. It should have much higher ratings.

Read More

Was this review helpful to you?
Completed
Queen Woo
0 people found this review helpful
by kdmd
11 days ago
8 of 8 episodes seen
Completed 0
Overall 9.0
Story 10
Acting/Cast 8.0
Music 8.0
Rewatch Value 9.0
This review may contain spoilers

Great, Focused Story, Top Tier Actors, Great Production

What's not to like in a focused, "get to the castle by daylight", "28 days" type of show. The script and story line were lean and logical and not overly complex. (There were just a few logical inconsistencies such as the queen's sister shooting arrows from horseback rather than riding in the carriage with her and the queen being told, essentially, women should just sit quietly at home, while she is in full military armor ready to lead the battle and she and her sister have been trained as warriors. Makes ZERO sense.) Yes, it was a bit gory. Yes, it was a bit sexy. Yes, it was gritty and violent, but not excessively. Production values were impressive. A stand out for me as far as acting was ever-sexy Lee Soo Hyuk. And he managed to look beautiful even when he was deranged.

The ending was a cliff hanger, so I think that either they knew that the show might be a hard sell in Korea, or they found that out mid-way and cut off the episodes, trying for more funding later. The story could definitely continue as there were many story lines that weren't fully exhausted. But, it could also end here, as we imagine the heros winning. There were plenty of Ji Chang Wook flashbacks and I bet there are plenty already filmed in anticipation of more episodes. His story definitely wasn't fully fleshed out.

Anyway, the only thing that could have been an impactful improvement for me was to have a more expressive FL. She had the steely-eyed look down pat, but more nuance would have been good. She was portrayed as a firebrand as a little girl and now as a queen she is a rather flat, unbelievably controlled queen. I don't see the connection. I have seen other steel queens that still have a bit more spark flowing in their faces. In the last few episodes she cranked it up a bit, but it was too little, too late for me. If the show had continued, we likely would have seen more range in her character.

Read More

Was this review helpful to you?
Completed
Glory
0 people found this review helpful
by kdmd
Apr 30, 2026
36 of 36 episodes seen
Completed 0
Overall 9.0
Story 9.5
Acting/Cast 8.0
Music 9.0
Rewatch Value 9.5
This review may contain spoilers

Great ACTING - "A Cavalcade of Stars" as they would say in the 30s

This is a very decent drama, very pretty, and a commercial for the tea industry and the history of China's tea culture (watch after the credits). Some company or government office paid the movie producers very well for this.

I came to see Neo Hou and he was pretty good and beyond handsome, as always. I love watching him act, no matter what he is in. To be honest, he has such STAR power that I am always watching Neo Hou, not the actual character. It's kind of like watching Arnold Schwarzenegger or Bruce Willis: no matter their role, I am watching the STAR.

Actors
I've seen Neo Hou be more emotive, but his character and the FL's character didn't really allow it much. He was sweetest at the beginning, when he was trying to connect with the FL. I especially LOVED seeing some of my favorite short drama stars in this, such as Liu Qing and Li Fei, who are more handsome here than ever and great actors, even more so than usual. You really got to see them ACT. I hope they stay in these longer dramas, as I think that they will have better support and opportunities here than in the "seat of your pants" short dramas with no resources. Also loved my fav pretty guy, Zhao Yi Qin, who lost so much weight for this role that I am nervous about his health. He did an excellent job all around. All the secondary actors and actresses did a GREAT job. Loved Chen Ruo Xuan, who has put in his time in comedies as the CEO's assistant. He is also a great actor here; we saw his wounded soul.

Really, everyone's acting was superb, such as Leanne Liu as the Grandmother. But I want to give a SPECIAL shout out to Cao Jun, whom I haven't noticed before. First, he is beyond handsome. More important, he was extraordinary in portraying a man at the breaking point, both physically and emotionally. He was the most sympathetic character in the entire show, and you just wanted to weep for him. He should definitely be proud of his work here and I hope to see more of him.

In that same point in the show, Sophia Hu's work as Lady Chang can't be overlooked. Talk about emotional honesty.

*****I really feel that this show was all about actors being given a chance to show their skills. They really drove the entire drama, almost like an actor's showcase, with the ML and FL just being the hosts of the show.

Story
The story was well done, with four or five "situations" that moved it along in sequence. One thing I didn't like about the story is that the people would do terrible things to each other and then "make up" with each other as the situation changed. I don't believe that this is how society works, at least not in the US. When a person does terrible things to you, you don't eventually become besties or lovers. Sorry. This forgiveness of evil was woven throughout the show and I don't get it. It really bothered me especially in the last two episodes when someone did terrible things to get their way and it was considered "what a person does to survive." Hey, it wasn't war time, no one was in a concentration camp starving. These were just evil choices, but we all smile and wish each other well at the end? Didn't like it. I also didn't like another aspect of the story, as I mention below.

Love Story POSSIBLE SPOILER
As in most of these big budget C-dramas, I shouldn't have expected any sexy romance. It was even more lacking in this one, since the FL was supposed to be strong as iron and smart as a whip and the ML was supposed to be scheming and out for revenge. I do see how they connected and the attraction and admiration they have for each other (even though other viewers didn't (Hint: they are both the same type of person)), BUT to NEVER come to a point in the relationship where the FL is HONEST with the ML and fully sharing and communicating with him is out-and-out terrible. What kind of romance is this? All manipulation and no point in which they are ONE in thinking and DOING. Even up to the very end? This is a quite terrible idea and should have been changed by someone in charge. I really couldn't support the couple, as she remained aloof and following her own plans the ENTIRE time, and hurt the ML quite badly on more than one occasion. It was only through tremendous force of will that it all worked out. (Is this the new framework for romance? Man allows the woman to repeatedly "kick" him and still goes on loving her? If so, I've really been on the short end my entire life. I should have had that opportunity, too!)

Bottom line, enjoy seeing the actors and the acting and forget the romance being romantic (even with the secondary romances).

Read More

Was this review helpful to you?
Completed
Decreed by Fate
0 people found this review helpful
by kdmd
May 2, 2025
16 of 16 episodes seen
Completed 0
Overall 9.0
Story 10
Acting/Cast 9.0
Music 8.0
Rewatch Value 8.0

Sweet, Warm Unicorn Drama with Momentum and Some Teasing/Risqué Situations

I agree with reviewer Susie Queue. This was a nice show of the right length with decent actors, good script, and worth the wait outcome (the cliff-hanger had me hoping for another season). I didn't notice any plot loopholes, but I tend to fast-forward past all the planning and subterfuge to get to the next romantic scene more quickly. (You would be surprised to find out what information/exposition is really not needed to still follow the plot at a reasonable level.) So, it's a sweet show that also happens to push the envelope on women's roles. I am also wondering, and this could be my imagination, but with a script that has a woman choosing between two men for the greater part of the drama, if there isn't a little civic investment in raising the birth rate by pushing the message that a woman ought to be able to date two men at the same time. Just a thought. And given that the FL states in the show (I'm paraphrasing) that it may not be too bad to watch two men being close if they are both handsome, I also wonder if iQIYI isn't trying to boost the ratings of their BL offerings by providing a soft-sell to women who ordinarily wouldn't see the appeal of such shows. Again, just a thought. I hope all the young actors and character actors in this show have opportunities to move into longer, A-list dramas, as they did a great job here and are all very pretty.

Read More

Was this review helpful to you?
Completed
A Korean Odyssey
0 people found this review helpful
by kdmd
Apr 3, 2025
20 of 20 episodes seen
Completed 0
Overall 8.5
Story 9.0
Acting/Cast 8.0
Music 9.5
Rewatch Value 8.0
This review may contain spoilers

All It Needed Was Better Chemistry Between the Leads

I have updated my review after watching all 20 episodes. What I found out in the last three episodes is that there is nothing wrong with the acting of the two leads: they finally showed the palpable love and romance that I was waiting for. So it must have been the direction or script that didn't allow them to go to this place sooner. This is a serious flaw in the story. Often shows have the couple achieve "love" 50-60% of the way through a show, then there is a misunderstanding which is resolved in the end and "true love" prevails. This is so that viewers are not waiting past their patience tolerance for the romance. Because this romance was strung out so long, with a very, very slow burn in the first 60% of the show, it difficult, but ultimately satisfying.
==========================
I am enjoying this program. It is filled with great actors and it has a great storyline. The writers are top-notch. I see many parallels between this storyline and Alchemy of Souls, which blew most viewers away. Overall, it is entertaining and fun. As another reviewer mentioned, the costumer for the men went all out to have them looking AMAZING. The costumer for the women was asleep at the wheel. Even if the women were not as dramatic as the men, they still deserved more. After all, the female lead is rich and can wear almost anything she wants.

As so many reviewers have mentioned, the main problem with KO is that there is no spark between the leads and no emotional depth in their portrayal of their love. By the time the FL started to show a tiny bit of softness when she looked at the ML, it was so far into the show as to not matter. The FL has a tough job, to make an emotionally and socially isolated, lonely career woman come to life through love and her power over her situation. Unfortunately, I don't think she was able to meet the challenge here, for whatever reasons. I can speculate: maybe she was sick during filming; maybe she knew that there was no chemistry with the ML and gave up; maybe she didn't gel with the ML because in the first few episodes, he wasn't a jerk who can be redeemed through love, he was just a pure, remorseless bastard with no redeeming qualities. It is hard to start developing loving feelings for a man like that. Perhaps the ML is a method actor and put the FL so out of sorts that they couldn't develop the "secret spark" needed for such a romance. Who knows. It is easier to have a romance bloom when the woman is hard on the man, because men tend to like Alpha Dog women (no comments, please) versus having the man be hard on the woman. It happens, but the man has to be seen as having some charm somewhere. Unfortunately, here neither of the ML's nor FL's faces or voices came alive when they were together in most of this show. In the show "It's Okay to Not Be Okay" FL Seo Yea Ji was able to present a standoffish FL with deep emotional depths just under the surface, but here we couldn't really see it. As for the ML, he seems to act in more action comedies than romances; maybe romance just isn't his strong suit. I don't know, since I haven't seen him in anything else. Being a jerk-with-a-redeeming-side is hard to play, unless there are some scenes early on where the character can demonstrate those redeeming qualities/softness that will allow both the FL and the audience to fall for him.

It could have been the direction. When actors veer off the mark, the directors are supposed to save them and help them realize the characters appropriately. I don't see evidence that the FL and ML got that guidance. OR.... maybe this is supposed the be a reflection of the title "Korean Odyssey." Maybe the script writers are conveying that Korean couples, for most of history, have been thrown together by circumstance just to survive, and are more similar to those in arranged marriages than are couples who are truly "lovey dovey." I do see many exemplars in dramas of loving Korean couples crabbing and yelling at each other and showing no or minimal traces of warmth or affection. Maybe, this is what they were aiming for?

And, the story does let the couple down in that there is no real reason for them to fall for each other. She is falling for the first person/monster to be "nice" to her (the ML), and he is falling for her "beauty" only because he is magic-ed into it (No other positive traits are mentioned about her, so I guess that is an FL's only requirement, to be beautiful.). The script doesn't really have them working together, learning together, appreciating each other's good qualities, and so forth. Even when the ML is saving the FL, it is supposedly because he has to. Somewhere along the line we ideally see on what basis he is truly falling for her. Usually, when we have a couple who are not sure if the other loves them, we, the viewers know that they do. Here, we really don't and are left as uncomfortable as the ML and FL are; it is not the "good" edge-of-your seat feeling a viewer should have.

Even so, with the other characters bringing the "heart" (shout out to Lee Hong Ki, Lee Se Young, and Cha Seung Won) it is pretty darned good.

Read More

Was this review helpful to you?