• Location: USA

kingsqueen

USA
Goblin
Jan 22, 2017
If you are hesitating to watch this at all, please....just throw out your reservations and watch this. Goblin has just made my favorites list. Even my husband got sucked in and loves this show. The cinematography was gorgeous, the music was amazing, the actors were perfect (Hello, Gong Yoo!), the story was heartbreakingly beautiful.

This is the first time I've watched any of the main actors except Yoo In Na. I have now officially developed a Gong Yoo crush and understand why drama fans are enamored of him. Gong Yoo as Kim Shin/ Goblin was mesmerizing. I could listen to his voice for days. Every scene he was in was a treat. Every emotion that his character had was palpable, and his smiles could light up the sky.
And Kim Go Eun as Ji Eun Tak was super cute. She had a lot of detractors and the writer got a lot of flak for making her so young. But the character and her age were perfect for this story and how it unfolded.
Lee Dong Wook as the Grim Reaper had the perfect deadpan (heh) delivery. And he may be the best male "crier" I've seen yet.

The story will make you laugh and make you cry. Not only is the love story epic, but so is the bromance between Goblin and Reaper. I've found that I'm quite fond of this fantasy genre and this has been done so well. I have hardly any criticisms of this show at all because even the flaws faded into nothing noticeable for me. It's sweet, funny, romantic, sad, tragic, beautiful...

The music was perfect and perfectly lovely. I don't always pay much attention to the music, but this show utilized it so well and chose the perfect songs. So many people loved even the intro song that they made a special recording of it to make it a full length song (Round and Round, but may also be found under Never Far Away). Beautiful by Crush was the best song in my opinion, and I believe that it was the theme song for our main couple. And Stay With Me by Chanyeol and Punch was another favorite.

Rewatch value is high - if not everything, then there are many, many favorite scenes that I'll go back to and relive the feels. :)

Pinocchio
Sep 11, 2017
With over 90 reviews on this 3 year old drama, I'm sure that mine will be lost at the bottom, but I want to take the time anyway to do this. Pinocchio was a drama that I put off for a LONG time. I thought that the plot just sounded kind of "meh". Then I learned a little about Park Shin Hye, who apparently drama fans either adore and think rainbows shine out of her rear end or they hate her and think she is the worst actress ever and avoid her like the plague. I am one of those rare drama fans that was just neutral, didn't see what the big deal over her was, but was somewhat reluctant to watch her. I am happy to report that she did a really nice job in this show. However, if you hate her, you are probably always going to hate her. I actually really enjoyed her, and think this might be one of the best shows I've watched her in. If this had been my first PSH show, I may have become a fan. Who knows? This was my first Lee Jong Suk drama though. He did a great job in this also.

But the story in Pinocchio was very intelligent and was not boring at all. I was worried about halfway through, wondering how they would pull 20 episodes of story out of this plot, but somehow they not only managed to do so, but did so very well. There were lots of thought provoking decisions and choices made by the characters and the show is set up around a topic that is very relevant today, especially in the era of accusations of "fake news" and misleading headlines- truth in media and how news stories are presented to the public.

I enjoyed all the characters and was consistently surprised at the decisions that Choi Dal Po/ Gi Ha Myeong made. The side characters were all utilized well, and were interesting. I most loved both Yoon Yoo Rae and Seo Beom Jo. Yoo Rae was adorable and funny. I look forward to seeing more of the actress, Lee Yoo Bi. Kim Young Kwang is always a favorite and did not disappoint! His character really surprised me several times as well. The YGN Cap, Hwang Gyo Dong, played by Lee Pil Mo, was another favorite. In fact, there was not one badly done character in the show. I'd feel a little silly listing all the characters and what I loved about each one, so I will stop there. :)

I don't really re-watch many shows, but I think this show has a decent rewatch value. The story would hold up well to repeated viewing.

Jealousy Incarnate
Nov 11, 2016
I love Gong Hyo Jin, and the trailers for this show are what drew me to it. I like the two male leads as well, and this looked to be a fairly fun romance story.

The first half of this show, I was utterly in love with it. I re-watched episodes as I waited for new ones to air. But I made the fatal mistake of falling for the second male lead, knowing that the writers would break my heart and his. The show starts off by throwing a huge cast of characters at us, and their relations seem a little confusing at first. But, eventually, all is sorted, and we have ourselves with 3 main love triangles. Pyo Na Ri, who has been in a 3 year one-sided love with Lee Hwa Shin, and then meets and falls for his best friend and ultimate chaebol gentleman, Go Jung Won. This is our main triangle and love story. The others are played up at first but slowly get pushed to the background....just like our 2nd lead. I blame the writers for making Jung Won such a perfect catch (and Go Kyung Pyo for making Jung Won seriously swoony) that he was hard to get over. Whereas, in contrast Hwa Shin could be a perfect donkey's behind...yet somehow you couldn't hate him because he also showed that he cared about everyone in his life as well. He was definitely tortured by his own inner self.

The story had some serious moments that the writers cut with humorous moments, so the weightier matters didn't drag the show into melodrama territory. There were strong characters and great chemistry with ALL the cast members. The writers did a fantastic job with the casting, and it could not have been more perfect. Up until around episode 14, I was sure that this might be the best drama I had ever watched and I fully expected to see it on my list of favorites. But the writers started to make some missteps in the story from my point of view. And I know that the majority of viewers may disagree with me. I did not feel that way simply because my 2nd lead wasn't getting the girl. Hwa Shin was not a bad choice for Pyo Na Ri. They did have some great chemistry together and I could see where the Hwa Shin "shippers" could be all on board with him. But I wasn't as swayed as I could have been and the actions of the characters didn't seem honorable to me in that mid-point. It dampened my love for the show somewhat, and that never fully recovered. Jealousy Incarnate was still a good show and I looked forward to it every week. I think they wrapped up the story well and completely for our main couple. However, they left a lot of loose ends when they backburnered the side characters that were prominent in the first several episodes.

My favorite side characters may have been the doctor and her nurse. Nurse Oh stole every scene she was in, and the doctor was both funny and full of heart.
The music was great - seriously stand out. I'm not normally into the music so much, but there were several songs that I had to hunt down and play for my own enjoyment of them.

Please, do give this show a chance (and push through past the first couple of episodes if it's hard - it's worth it!). You'll have lots of laughter and emotions.

Strong Woman Do Bong Soon
Apr 16, 2017
So how would I describe this show? This story tried to be too much. It was a romance mixed with slapstick humor, and dark thriller. How did those elements combine? Not too well, actually....but the parts that were good were good enough to keep me watching until the end.

This show started off strong and I was loving it up until about a little over halfway, when it dawned on me that the story was just kind of nonsense. But the leads are so freaking adorable (and probably every teenage girl's dream fantasy romance) that they kept sucking me back in every week. I said the other day that I didn't think I'd had a girl crush on anyone in a show yet, but Park Bo Young may have reached that status for me. And Park Hyung Shik is almost too pretty - but his acting as Ahn Min Hyuk crushing on Do Bong Soon --- I just "can't even" with him. Too cute for words. They were so cheesy together, but this ahjumma was eating it up. Seriously....this romance is what the show has going for it. But even that is unrealistically done. This show is just fluff....lots and lots of fluff.

The story line is chaotic. There is an evil villain that is just too horrifying to be in a rom-com. It was very jarring to go from sweet romance scenes to a creepy masked kidnapper who is terrorizing young women. And the slapstick antics of the gangsters and the high-school gangsters and the screechy femme planning team leader was funny the first time but became just useless filler that was pretty annoying fast forward material. And a lot of people hated that, although played for laughs, the mom seemed abusive (may be why the writers tried to explain that one away in the final episode.) There were funny parts, sure, but they overplayed their hand with them quite a bit.

The only thing I would rewatch in this show is the moments with Min Hyuk and Bong Soon.

Would I recommend it....sort of. I mean, you'd have to know going in that the story makes no sense, but as a backdrop for a super cute, cheesy beyond belief romance...if you can deal with that then, yeah, go for it. I was entertained for sure (otherwise the rating would be like a 4). But if you need a plot that is logical and a more 'mature' (not THAT kind of mature, but more grown up) romance, then this one won't be right for you.

Suspicious Partner
Jul 14, 2017
I think this drama started off strong, but lost steam as it went along. The ending episode was meandering and pointless, honestly. It had a happy ending, but was lackluster and bland. I think that if they had cut this show to 16/32 episodes instead of 20/40, they could have written a tighter story. There were some things that got lost in the story, some things that were never explained, and some things that dragged on way too long. The romance sizzled in the beginning and then flickered and died, and then when it rekindled, it was barely an ember. One thing that some people liked, but kind of annoyed me was the lighting in the show. Every time the main characters were about to have a real kiss - there was always this bright light shining between them. I guess it was supposed to be artistic? Once would have been plenty for that and it might have been ok, but it happened at least 3 or 4 times.

Most of the actors did a good job. Ji Chang Wook and Nam Ji Hyun are both fantastic actors and I love to watch the play of emotions on JCW's face. NJH is so earnest and sincere in her acting. Choi Tae Joon as Eun Hyuk was such a cutie pie and his awkwardness and his boyish charm and enthusiasm were fun to watch (this was my first show with him.) I wasn't really impressed with Nara or her character. She was bland and we didn't learn much about her. I thought Kim Ye Won was a scene stealer though! KYW as Ji Hye started off as an unlikable bully and a cheater, but she quickly became one of my favorite supporting actors in this show, and I kind of wished she had been the second female lead instead. I loved her snarky comebacks to Yoo Jung - she made me laugh a lot. And Dong Ha, as the villain Hyun Soo, did an amazing job. It's the first time I've seen him in anything that I recall, but he nailed his role.

The music was decent, nothing stand out, but appropriate.

I won't re-watch this. It was ok, but not one of the best I've seen. I think the longer run time severely hurt the pacing.

The Bride of Habaek
Aug 23, 2017
I had higher expectations for this drama, so I was slightly disappointed that the plot and the acting didn't quite live up to those. HOWEVER, despite this, I was still engaged with this show and enjoyed it even though it was flawed.

My first criticism is for the plot. I want to preface this by saying that I've never read the comic, so I wasn't influenced in any way by the source material. The issue is that the backstory information that would have been so helpful to understanding what was going on was dribbled out like crumbs on the trail in Hansel and Gretel. I wanted to know more, but the writers would have the characters give some cryptic piece of dialogue and then fail to explain well enough that I felt satisfied as a viewer. The answers came "too little, too late" for many people and I felt somewhat like that myself. I was mostly satisfied with the answers we finally received, but not 100%. I also tend to believe that the budget may have been cut early on. The reason I say so is because the "realm of the gods" was only shown briefly, even though it was splendid. And Ha Baek came through to the human's realm without his powers. He was able to use them twice, and they were marvelous special effects, but then they were not used again. I think they made a good choice to cut the special effects rather than lose production value, but I think they made it a little obvious anyway since the show really could have been something special with a bigger budget.

The acting was fine, but not phenomenal. I think Nam Joo Hyuk was not quite the right choice for Ha Baek. He's adorable, sure. And I've enjoyed his other works. But I don't know that he carried the weight of the role as well as a more experienced actor may have. He wasn't a horrible choice, but I just think they could have done better. On the plus side he was VERY cute. :) And Shin Se Kyung got a lot of criticism for her acting, but I don't think she is a bad actress at all. She played her role fine. The chemistry between the two was hit and miss. Sometimes I thought it was there, and other times, not so much. Im Joo Hwan really knocked it out of the park, though, and was one of the lone actors that really stood out in this show. So much so, that a lot of viewers kept watching for him alone. The other actors were fine. Not anything special, but just fine.

Now, the music on the otherhand, was beautiful. I absolutely loved the track, Glass Bridge. Mesmerizing song! I don't know the names of the others, but the music was lovely. The cinematography was beautiful as well.

I can't say I would re-watch this. Maybe after I read the comic, more of the story will fall into place and I'll understand it better, but that's about it. I do think they ended the show much better than I was expecting, even if it was a bit anticlimactic. This show wasn't horrible by any means, and I hate that so many people gave up on it so quickly. But it was a decent watch even though it didn't live up to its potential. I'm not mad I spent the time watching it.

Healer
May 10, 2016
This show had been in my queue for a while to watch, but I kept putting it off for other dramas until one of my new MDL friends recommended it. I was just finishing up another drama and decided to take the plunge. I'm so thankful for that push. This drama hit all the right notes for me. The storyline was fast paced and interesting. It masquerades as an action drama, but there is romance aplenty.
The skinship is adorable between our OTP and they were not stingy with it. (sigh!) The confession scene, as I was promised, was one of the best I've ever seen. And the moments leading up to it were heart-fluttering.
I loved the Eternal Love song which I think was their theme; however, without the backdrop of the story, the song is a little cheesy sounding. The acting was top notch, though. I'm now a fan of both lead actors and hope to see them both in something as awesome as this drama was. They both have the most expressive eyes and cute smiles for days. There are moments that you yell at your tv, but not in a bad way. I just had to warn them! *wink*
The story and characters are very layered and it all unfolds the way it should. I have no criticisms for this drama (unless it's to say that I want MORE. LOL) I will definitely be re-watching this one, as it goes into my top 3 favorite dramas I've watched to date.

7 First Kisses
Jan 7, 2017
Honestly, I wasn't even going to write a review for this. It's basically a movie length CF, and I only watched it to kill some down-time at work. The idea was good in theory, but they tried to shove so many (top star) characters into such a short time that it felt WAY too rushed. And the ending episode was even more so. The running time was less than 9 minutes on the last one, yet the story ended at around the 5-6 minute mark and they wrapped up with BTS footage.

The story was kind of cringe-worthy, so the only real thing to recommend about it was all the pretty male faces.
I truly cannot even recommend this to anyone unless you are just looking to fill about an hour or so and have nothing better to do.

My Little Baby
May 6, 2016
This was a super cute comedy! It's a 16 episode drama, but each episode is only about half an hour instead of a full hour long, so this one goes rather quickly and does not get dragged out. This is the first drama I've seen the male lead in - and I really enjoyed him a lot! He has a very cute smile and his character was pretty much a Mr. Perfect. He may have been a little bit shy and fumbled his way through learning to take care of a baby, which provided a lot of the comedy, but he was a very loyal and caring person. He had an amazing smile that just lit up the screen, and his interactions with Eun Ae (the baby) were just adorable. I felt like the female lead was a little on the weak side, which was kind of disappointing as I really enjoyed that actress in Let's Eat (btw, the actress that played her friend in that drama is a main actor in this one as well.) Oh Ji Ho as Cha Jeong Han totally carried this coupling. But overall, this was a quick, fun watch. The mom friends that he gained were so funny (especially Boem Soo's mom and her running joke through the series) and provided both comedy and obstacles to overcome. The last 2 episodes were very sweet and induced a few tears (happy ones!) The plot is very simple, but it is a really cute story and I would be willing to watch it all over again.

Note - I didn't give high marks to the music, because honestly, I don't really remember the music in this at all, but the system wouldn't allow me not to rate it.

The Guardians
Jul 13, 2017
This was a thrilling ride. I really wasn't sure what to expect when I started this show, but I'm glad I did. It is an epic action/thriller. It wasn't predictable, and there is at least one plot twist that caught me totally by surprise. Well done, show! The characters all have a backstory to tell and all the main actors did a phenomenal job. This show would have gotten higher marks if not for the last couple of episodes. I wasn't happy with some of the decisions the characters made and one the writers made. Also there were quite a few questions left unanswered at the end that really needed to be addressed.

Kim Young Kwang and Kim Seul Gi were my main draws to this show, and Key was a secondary draw. I've never seen anything with Lee Shi Young, but she was awesome! She is a strong female lead and kicks serious butt in this show. Kim Young Kwang as Jang Do Han is a character that you almost hated, but still loved him in the role because he was owning this character. Kim Seul Gi had great emotional scenes, and Key was adorkable as their resident hacker. I loved how they all came together for a common goal, but developed a bond with each other over the course of the drama. Each one knocked my socks off.

You really have to pay attention and focus while you watch this - you won't want to miss any detail. The plot, as with most action movies, is convenient for our anti-heroes. But it still keeps you on the edge of your seat, biting your nails, hoping the best for them. The story had its flaws, I can't deny, but for the most part I enjoyed this show quite a bit.

The music was very edgy and well chosen.

Won't be high on the re-watch as the genre just doesn't lend itself well once you know the outcomes. However, I would recommend this one to action lovers.

Doctors
Sep 10, 2016
This show started off really well and the backstory/ set up was really promising. However, once it caught up to current times, the plot floundered. There was a real lack of story telling in this drama and I ended up pretty underwhelmed.

The real saving grace of this show was the acting. Kim Rae Won and Park Shin Hye did a good job for the material they were given. There was some awkwardness in the beginning of the relationship, but then there was complete comfortableness and next to no drama. I wasn't a huge fan of Yoon Gyun Sang at first, but he grew on me through the run (but they definitely could have styled him better). Lee Sung Kyung was believable as a spoiled lonely rich girl. I enjoyed all the supporting characters save the doctor that played Seo Woo's father. He was so childish and immature that I found it hard to believe he was running a hospital. But the actor did a wonderful job of conveying the spirit of the character. He was immensely unlikable. There were lots of great cameos as well, and the most memorable was played by Nam Goong Min - his episodes were some of the better parts of the floundering middle.

I wouldn't recommend this drama unless you are just a fan of the actors. There is not really a plot to it at all, and even as a hospital drama it was lacking. While it had a promising start, I only finished it because I was invested in seeing it to the end once I realized that the plot was never going to pick back up and that nothing was really happening to our main characters. All the action was happening around them instead.

The Greatest Love
May 31, 2016
I was SO wrong about this drama! Initially I was not interested in this. Although I kept hearing how good this was, it just didn't look good to me (I'll fully admit to judging a drama by its cover a lot...and being wrong a lot!). I finally decided that I was going to take the plunge and see what the big deal was all about.

If you enjoyed Fated to Love You or Master's Sun (2 of my favorite dramas), I think you will enjoy this show also. Dok Go Jin reminded me of both Lee Gun and Joo Joong Won - like he was a mashup of both these characters. He starts off as arrogant and self-centered and he can't imagine why he's having feelings for Gu Ae Jung who is not on his "level". And he can also be childish and petty. A character that I was not remotely interested in at ALL became a very beloved character to me throughout this show. And Ae Jung is a sympathetic character - the one who gives and gives.

I would have given this a perfect 10, but the story was really just a simple fluffy romance. But it was a romance story that warmed my heart anyway. It had some flaws in the story, but they did not take away from my enjoyment in any major way. Dok Go Jin's love for Gu Ae Jung was unstoppable. There were cute moments, funny moments, teary moments, frustrating moments...The Hong Sisters really know how to illicit emotion. It may not have been a groundbreaking story, but it was enjoyable and full of heart and I know that I will watch this again. I thought the chemistry between the leads was good, and I enjoyed the secondary characters for the most part. I especially loved "Ding Dong".

I may be over-rating this for some, but I truly enjoyed it despite its flaws. And ratings are entirely subjective. ;) I also loved the way the ending was done. I'm a fan of epilogue moments, and I feel like this story was wrapped up very well with a very satisfying ending.

Go Ho's Starry Night
Oct 27, 2016
I enjoyed this short series very much. It was a cute office romance and had lots of sweet and funny moments. The plot summary didn't originally grab me, and I didn't plan to watch this at all until I saw a teaser for it. I was immediately intrigued.

This was my first time seeing any of these actors. I would very much like to see the actress that played Go Ho do another rom-com. I thought she was quite good. I was also taken with the main male lead. He was quite cute at displaying his jealousy for Go Ho. And I think the chemistry between the leads was believable. I didn't care as much for the second lead, as he just didn't convey any emotion in my eyes. The other side characters, vying for Go Ho's affections are interesting and keep it fun.

The music didn't stand out much, but suited the mood of the scenes.

I think this is a good weekend watch and wouldn't even mind seeing it again.

The Thieves
Nov 11, 2016
This was a fun movie to watch. The escapades of serial thieves as they make one last heist.

The story was action packed and moved along at a great pace with characters that were interesting. They all played off each other very well. It certainly keeps you on your toes as you watch. And it didn't end like I thought it would at all....there are definitely some plot twists and turns and unexpected outcomes. There's also a bit of humor as well, so it's not just action and crime.

This was solidly entertaining and I would watch it again.
The Legend of the Blue Sea
Jan 26, 2017
I really enjoyed Legend of the Blue Sea very much. I was prepared to give this a higher rating than I did, but there were a few things that kept this from being perfect. The story was very good, I enjoyed the reincarnation/past lives aspect and the flashback scenes to the Joseon counterparts. I wish those parts had been able to continue further into the story. The writer really set up her myth very well. I've heard some say that it was too reminiscent of My Love From Another Star, and I can see where the set up was very similar in style. I enjoyed all the characters, though, and the writer did put in some good twists to the story. There were a few inconsistencies, but nothing that distracted too much from my enjoyment. And although the ending was good, I felt like it still could have been better. They did a good job at wrapping up, but I didn't feel like they spent enough time with our main couple for the last episode.

This drama was actually my first experience watching Lee Min Ho. I thought I finally got why he was such a "big deal" a few years back. (No, I have never watched BOF and probably won't!) I liked him enough to find another drama of his to watch while waiting for new episodes. While he impressed me fairly well in the first part, I found that he lacked emotional punch in some scenes toward the end which lowered my acting score a bit. Jun Ji Hyun, though, has become one of the actresses that I enjoy very much. She has a great comedic sense and stands out from a lot of the Korean actresses I see. She did an excellent job in this show as well. I thought all the side characters were interesting and well-acted for their roles. Especially all the actors doing double duty as past and present characters.

The music was pretty good, but nothing that was extraordinary. The theme song was cheesy but still somewhat catchy. It's not something I would like or enjoy listening to outside of being the theme song for this show, though. So, it was good for its purpose.

I think this has good rewatch value, even if I myself may not rewatch it.

Overall, I gave this an 8.5. It was a very solid drama and I would recommend it to anyone that likes romance and fantasy elements. I think this show airing during the same time frame as Goblin may hurt its ratings a bit, but it was still a great show and I don't have any major criticisms for it.