• Gender: Male

France
Prosecutor Princess
May 28, 2016

Viewers prosecuted

Usually, you would expect AT LEAST from the pilot first episode, some kind of "urgency" to give the viewers the motivation to look after a TV Show or drama. But there is nothing like this in this pitiful drama, only saved by the acting and actors, which are by the way incredibly effective to make the characters as unlikeable as possible (not their fault, I think it's all part of something supposedly called a "scenario" which is missing here). But that alone can't hide the previously mentionned invisible scenario, rhythmed by the worst piece of occidentally cloned music I've ever heard (and given that the original occidental piece is already horrible, that's not helping). Believe me, the music alone get me wondering why I was struggling to continue watching this drama till it ends, painfully.

Maybe it's all part of the project, with some kind of high level dark humor, but in this case, it's totally missing its point.

Ah right, I almost forgot : humor. Sometimes, the drama intends to look like a comedy, with bad jokes and grotesque effort to make us laugh, all included.

You Who Came from the Stars
Oct 8, 2017

The alien was not who you think

If it wasn't for Jun Ji Hyun lead role interpretation, this drama would have been nowhere that good. In all honesty, while pretty close I'm not entirely sure this drama deserve its 8.8 rating (at the time I'm writing this) but since it brings up a lot of passion and interest (from what I've heard), maybe that's enough in itself to justify it.
As for me, this drama success is clearly related to Jun Ji Hyun : she depicts a character borderline lunatic, superficially arrogant and ... amazingly funny to watch. Not that Kim Soo Hyun is not any good (he's actually quite subtle and believable as an alien), but to me the alien here in this show was clearly Jun Ji Hyun.
While the romance seems the main focus (and is quite good at that), comedic scenes and situations rhythmed the drama so well that there is not so much room to loose interest. And again, the exact moment where you understand that Jun Ji Hyun 'Chun Song Yi' character is not exactly the superb arrogant idiot she seems, you're screwed. Jun Ji Hyun is just imperial in this drama and get you hooked - line, sinker and all - in no time.
Still, there are inconsistent details and poor choices too. There are too many to point them all out, but at the same time, of too little importance to take them seriously. This is not actually bringing the show down, since at best it gets a little annoying from time to time.
So in the end, what remains is an overall very well-written drama, asking interesting questions, answering cold hearts with warm feelings, and along the way providing some action to entertain the malicious villain (who is by the way quite good at being a villain, thank you Shin Sung Rok).
Maybe that's enough to justify the 8.8 rating, after all ? That's not for me to decide. You go watch this then you tell us.

Falling for Innocence
Oct 3, 2017

Don't feel guilty about it

'Falling for Innocence' is typically the kind of drama that quickly starts as 'not bad' and end up quite enjoyable overall, even if far from perfection. While the story is not exactly the strong point of the drama, that's still a story worth following, considering the surprises to the viewers along the way. There's some kind of mix between clichés and 'not so clichés' scenes and situations there, that will keep up the greed and desire of the audience to the last episode. So that's already some kind of success for any drama, isn't it ?
One thing to notice, as minor as it is, is that the female lead being a little older than the male main role seems to bring something a bit refreshing and challenging. As if the others characters around her have to keep up with her, doing their very best to stay on her path. I really liked it, although I'm not entirely sure as to why exactly.
And since the drama is done without too much technical issues (here and there, for example, forgiving a mic that comes into camera view for a few milliseconds ^^), that was quite an enjoyable show.
Then, this drama is an easy recommandation, especially if you're not expecting too much from it and if you miss the thrills of some other popular drama you've just finished before.
I think you will spend some good time, and if that's all you're wishing for, 'Falling for Innocence' could be the right thing to fall for.

The Guest
Dec 27, 2018

Evil Vermin Is Lurking

The Guest is a very modern drama, with a contemporean feel and modern filming, looking back on old fears and traditions in its scenario. This anachronic setting might somehow take you by surprise here and there, looking at the show in front of you, and ...
... casually looking behind your shoulders from time to time. But no, this drama is not absolutely terrifying : for anyone who had his fair share of horror movies, you're not going to end up midway hagard and sleepless because of the show, but still the old fears are there : an unfamiliar presence in the dark, a will waiting for your awareness...
Which resumes some of the good points of the show : one of the best thing about this drama is its ambiance. The lightly dark and ever present sense of a dread and imminent danger was carefully instilled along all the episodes, keeping the viewers on their toes, but without getting them to run away as far as they can.
To help with that, the acting cast was amazing, and you could honestly almost watch the show for Kim Jae Wook's "Choi Yoon/Matthew" interpretation alone. Not that the others were any less good, really. While his role in this drama stands out a bit, the three main leads, along with the support roles very well-directed were quite impressive.
But with all that ... also comes some flaws to this tv-drama that I can't explain without considering that they had sometimes to sacrifice rational aspects of the background the characters live within in order to push the story further.
Like, for example, leaving the house of a potential victim unguarded - with a very young and sick girl inside at that ! - to run around aimlessly after a suspect. And there's a cop in this lot running around !
This is the kinda thing that can throw you out of the show in a split second, and it's not exactly a rare occurence (while, thankfully, not exactly a common one either).
Obviously it's not exactly sending the show straight to the hell where only the worst k-dramas belongs (with a few authors), but I can't help but think that it was these few mistakes - along with a story stretching out a bit too much - that prevents me to further praise the show, even though I also had a good time watching it.
Still, it's a good drama, with a very good setting and a cast that worked hard to make our knees go soft.
I can only recommend it, and will stop my review right away...
03:00 AM is close.

Two Cops
Sep 4, 2018

Villains aren't what they used to be

There's at least one requirement for a villain to be good at his villain's job : it's to be a clever villain - or at the very least - a villain smart enough to give the good guy a run for his money. So when a villain cut clean the breaks wire from a car (in a foolish attempt to make the car 'accident' that results to pass as a suicide), that already tells you a lot about the smarts of the said villain. But when this one CONVENIENTLY drops something personal that he had bring with himself (oO') when he's trying to murder someone with a knife (--')... in a police station (><') ... then I have only one last advice for him :
Please stop being a villain.
Seriously, drop it (lame pun intented). Try sewing. Or anything else. Honestly.
And that already resumes part of the show : with these few mistakes that happened quite early in the 1st episodes, there's not so much for the actors to save the drama from its shortcomings. But somehow, that's exactly where the few merits of this drama can be found. Midway, you end up more interested by the relationships between the characters than the story by itself, the issue being that without a stronger setting to backup these relations, it's quite a challenge to keep up the viewers interest. Still, on its way to the ending, there's some valuable twists and scripts progress that could satisfy anyone not expecting too much from this show, as long as the characters don't make you cringe.
But I still think you should reserved this show for a moment you really have nothing more enjoyable to watch.

The Greatest Love
Mar 2, 2018

A thousand words

There's some tv-dramas in Korea that can get a little bit hard to rate. If I were to review The Greatest Love on individual criterias, without considering the whole show, I don't think I would get anything close to its final rating here in MDL. Take the plot script for example :
It's not exactly anything we haven't seen before. Annoying / arrogant / jerk MC falls for the 'straight-man' played by a lovely woman, which in turn falls for the 'growing-not-so-arrogant-in-progress' MC. Remind you of something else already ?
Filming ? Not even that great. From the pitiful CGFX to the very unoriginal view angles, nothing stands out. So what does, exactly ?
As it happens : dialogs.
Dialogs in this TV-show (especially between the male/female leads) are ones of the best I could hear - correction - see (subtitles, since I don't understand korean ... yet). It makes up, hands high, for anything less well-written, and it's a real asset here since the story focused on very few characters. Most of the dialogs are snappy, fluid, sometimes a little too fast, while some lines are so violent that you can almost hear the slap on the face of the interlocutor.
Of course it helps when someone like Gong Hyo Jin is one of the actress to play those lines (and yes, I'm fanboying, so what ?)
Still, dialogs are not a trivial matter on this drama, and you have to follow carefully to fully understand what the characters are actually meaning. Which is great. Well, it's always great, when writers respect the viewers and don't take them for passive fools.
Another point of interest in this drama is the way the story unfolds. The development, of sort. Authors/writers must have enjoyed this part quite a bit, since they've played with it as often as they could. Here's an example : this drama is, more often than not, quite funny. The thing is - most of the time - you can see the joke coming a mile away. It's quite highly predictable. But as predictable as it is, you will still laught at the end. Since you expected the joke, the writers moved it just slightly elsewhere (the minor accident in the parking lot, for example).
This is one of the thing I love about this drama : predictable/unpredictable moves transformed into minor/major events, which in turn push the show a little further. It's not actually that original, or that unpredictable, in any way, but the show in its whole gives you a comfortable feeling, while remaining just snappy enough to pin you on your chair and complete it.
So at the end of this review, you, as a potential viewer, could enjoy this drama as I did. This drama may not please everyone, but if you're not waiting for it as your next masterpiece, this TV-show should provide a brief, good moment, comfortable, while not exactly "inoubliable", which results in a 8.0 rating.

Marriage, Not Dating
Sep 30, 2017

Supernaturaless

It's a bit refreshing to see a romance drama not relying on super powers, ghosts, supernatural events, vampires and the like to add to the love story. And since this one here is quite simple, that's exactly what makes it - in my opinion -  a little bit special.
I had a really good time trying to figure out what would come next in each episode : since the setting of the show is close to our every day life, you don't feel the distance others K-dramas tend to put on their viewers as unnatural forces get involved. While for some shows there's a real "plus-value" to get 'bigger than life', I'm sure you've also experienced some amazing train wrecks along the rail ^^
Here's a tv-drama with a simple setting, and some colorful characters trying to get along and getting hurt, loved, hated and everything in between in the process.
This kind of show is perfect to renew some love for K-dramas (if it is ever needed). If you're feeling a bit bored, this drama is offering a nice change of pace.
I can only recommand this show since it came at the right moment for me, maybe it could do the same for you ?
Then your only conclusion will be, hopefully, the same : that was a good show, I had a good time and I hope others will have, too, watching "Marriage, Not Dating".

Shopping King Louie
Aug 22, 2017

Not much to buy

You have to give some credits to the writers and scenarists of this drama, and recognize their relentless efforts to pull off characters and context that will pissed you off almost certainly every 25 sec. And I can tell, I've timed the thing ^^.

More seriously, this is, all things considered, a good drama. Not exactly a very good one, but still entertaining and easy to watch. It's also the typical kind of drama that is a bit hard to give a fair rating : Acting and cast was great, while not unforgettable either. Scenes and sequences were directed flawlessly, while not especially mind-blowing, at any rate. Story is simple, a bit exagerated...

Eventually, I think this drama falls short of a strong background, motivations, desires that could have put the show on a whole different level. Everything in here was all about some small fights that finally let the main characters have their way, as if this story took place in a fantasy world far from us.

Then ... while I enjoy (a bit) watching this drama, I can't exactly recommend it to anyone looking for an "incontournable et inoubliable chef d'oeuvre".

Pas de quoi fouetter un chat, en somme.

So here's you have it : an overall 7.5 rating, which is pretty much a "I-have-no-idea-what-to-put-there-so-lets-go-for-nothing-less-than-7" rating.

Stranger
Aug 13, 2017

Friendly neighbour

This is a K-drama done right, at his best.
Everything, from the script, the cast, and the way the show was directed was bordeline perfect. I can't say this show will please everyone - well it probably won't since it's mostly a suspense/detective investigation of sort - but as for what the show was aiming for, this drama close the deal and provides the viewers with a brillant, modern filming and scenario, (mostly) avoiding the useless and the usual fancy stuff. Which is already brillant in its own way (and I don't care if I'm repeating myself).
Well, here you have it : I'm not going to explain myself why this is a very good drama, since I'm quite confident that watching it will give you a lot to think about it, and besides, people here with a much better prose than your servitor have already work to give you enough reasons to jump on the show and appreciate it with your own open mind, so you can stop reading this review now, and enjoy watching "Stranger" right now.
ASAP. Lucky you.

Healer
Dec 2, 2016

A drama to start them all

Since almost everything has already been said about Healer, I will try to keep this review as short as possible :
So, basically, you need to watch this drama. Right now.
Well, I'm not saying this is a perfect tv-show (slow motion effect abuse, too much emphasis on obvious things...)
But it's really enjoyable... mostly because there's something to see, to hear and to feel for everyone in this drama.
So... basically, you need to watch this drama.

Hotel del Luna
Sep 17, 2019

Be My Guest

There's a lot of love for this drama that solely focus on the two main leads. And while I agree they've done an amazing job acting in it, I will go straight to this point : this show would have been probably this good with any others actors, as long as they would have tried to give their best. Hotel del Luna is, by itself, a very good drama. One that you would be very wrong to dismiss because of some actors fans or not-so fans. After all, I've spent such a good time in this hotel that I can't miss the opportunity to strongly recommend it to you...
Right ^^ ?
Now if I have to consider the things slightly out of the scenario alone (as photography, sound and music etc), then IU for example was just imperial in everything she's done in this drama. Her presence and voice alone is an incredible contribution to this drama, and I can't deny the fact this drama would have been considerably different without her, and probably not in a good way.
So in this drama, balance is the key. Switching from comedy scenes to dramatic moments in a heartbeat, the viewer is not unlike the guests in this hotel : A fiery pit to the right, heaven to the left, with a proud woman to guide you, as much fatal and dangerous as she is beautiful and inviting, seconded by a kind and comprehensive man, who in turn could be quite cunning and fierce if need be. Acting as guides to the guests stories that unfolds in the premices of the Hotel, you learn more of the staff and its owner, and you keep wanting more, because the stories (and the excellent music) will keep you in your room.
So, please sit down and relax, I hope you enjoy your stay in Hotel del Luna.

Introverted Boss
Feb 26, 2019

Warm inside, cold outside

My Shy Boss is a drama that you could find a bit unexpectedly creative. A bit cliché here and there (especially here :p), but overall this warm, kind and exaggeratedly shy boss (to the point it's an illness with quite serious consequences for his entourage) is a character very well written.
This shows especially in his work, his one true form, which is clearly the point I liked the most in this drama. A bright and creative man that, despite his creativity, get stucked in a position where his illness is interpreted either as incompetence or intransigence... and even cruelty.
But because of it, it's a real pleasure in this drama to discover the true intentions of this 'super male tsundere' : for the viewers, it almost becomes an exercise, a switch in this drama that lean towards the detective genre with a mystery to uncover.
Unfortunately, that seems to be the cue for the drama to also switch pace and rhythm midway : and with this many turnpoints (a melodrama, then an office romance, then a business drama, then finally a romance ?), it becomes a little harder for the viewers to understand and appreciate where the authors want to go. Especially when the romance, as sweet as it can get, never seems to reach a peak. To me, that's the real reason why this drama isn't much more loved : without reaching a culminating point, the viewers can't address their frustrations as the drama develops further without so much at stake.
Now, I still think you should watch this show for the creativity alone found on the first few episodes, and along with the sweet romance, the funny and mischievious support characters, and some melodramatic punchlines that shows every bit of the efforts put into this drama, this is an easy watch providing that you're not expecting too much from it either.
The actors have done their best to ensure you enjoy the ride on a warm feeling, and that could be enough if you're feeling a bit cold inside.

Player
Jan 14, 2019

The game is afoot

What a funny ride, this drama. As a headache-free tv-show, this drama never intends to get uselessly complicated and simply provide a pure entertainment. It's easy to follow yet interesting, as the plot revenge emerges to link the funny cons and tricks to the lovely characters.
And while some villains just can't offer much in the balance against "the good guys", some others are scheming quite the challenge, which offers a good counterpart from the con artists and never gets boring. To me, this drama succeed in making the intentions of every character very clear, but while keeping the tricks used as the mystery element to keep the viewers stuck on the show. Since the show remain simple and accessible, it works quite well even if here and there you end up finding some flaws as the plot favors the main characters a bit too much.
Still, to get the show this enjoyable while avoiding some grandiloquent and over-the-top devices and twists is the sign of a skillfull director and staff, loving what they do and showing it. This is particulary true in this drama, when everyone on screen seems to have fun.
Now, maybe that's exactly what others may find lacking in this drama : a more powerful scenario with more entanglements, pressure or challenges but honestly I'm not that sure, for myself, that I would have loved the show if it was planned as such.
There you have it : a good drama about con artists should be able to con its viewers into thinking that it was at least that good.
I fell for it almost all the way so, you've been warned : you could also get conned into loving this drama.

Terius Behind Me
Jan 5, 2019

Spy on meh

What a mess. A cute and enjoyable mess, but a mess nevertheless. Terius behind me is clearly a comedy, through and through, to the point that there's a chance to laugh even to the more serious aspects of the drama. If you're expecting a spy drama of sorts, I highly suggest you find yourself a safehouse somewhere and hide from this drama alltogether : the focus is elsewhere. As it happens, that's also the enjoyable bit : a sweet comedy, relying on a spy background to provide quirky scenes and situations (still with some action, bland as it was), and misbehaved cute children for some endearing moments.
So here's a spy trade secret to enjoy this drama : don't expect anything from the scenario, overly simplistic. It's merely a pretext to the scenes and situations mentioned previously. It's still enjoyable, but way too weak to entertain even the less experimented detective tv-show fans.
Along with the bland and predictable twists of this script comes the sentiment of unrealistic behaviors the show gives off, quite often. It may not exactly be a serious issue - don't forget, it's almost a comedy - but that still could affect your "immersion" into the show. At times, the unprofessional and idiotic behaviours from the members of an intelligence agency (emphasis on intelligence) could most likely ruined the entire emotion that the scene was supposed to provide.
Eventually, what remains enjoyable in this show is, in a single word, relationships. The interaction between the main leads and their support. From the extravagant but honest housewives information network, a mother and her children, a spy and these children, and eventually everyone that cross their path. The relations between a single man with an extraordinary but lonely life into the ordinary life of a friendly widow.
To that aspect, the performance from both the main actors (equally, despite what others may say) and support was quite good, and maybe even slightly better from the support characters, since an important part of what makes this drama enjoyable, clearly comes from the tenderness, the cuteness of their respective roles.
Since these relationships and the feelings that followed were to me a better and more enjoyable surprise than the investigation scenario itself, I can't exactly spoil the only bits of enjoyment this drama could provide to you, so ...
it's up to you if you care enough to follow Terius, moving behind him and past this review autodestruction in 1 sec.

Kill Me, Heal Me
Dec 31, 2018

Heal me out

'Kill me Heal me' is an awkward drama.
It seems to achieve with quite some success what it was aiming for, but doing so by making every possible mistake in its execution it should have normally avoid.
Some of the mistakes were obvious to a lot of people here : The dissociative disorder, for example, is exaggeratedly inaccurate, romanticized and worse, stupidely demonstrated to the viewers in the first episodes by the most ridiculous and useless visual FX probably ever made, with MS Paint, by a seriously drunk assistant FX artist.
But some are also less obvious : mainly, this drama must own its own world record list of clichés and déjà-vus (the main character supposedly flawless has the biggest flaw of them all, main female lead clueless but kind, the unwavering brother etc etc etc). Honestly, for the viewers to be able to get past the first three episodes tells a lot about their open mind, leniency ... and stubbornness ^^.
But fortunately that's also exactly where the viewers will get a small reward, a reward naturally growing into something a bit more beautiful as the plot reveals itself. Because if you're able to get past the few mistakes and awkward decisions that were made for this drama, at least in its execution, you will be reward by the strong emotions, born from the conflicted characters (and I do mean - all - the characters), born from the conflicted situations and scenes that makes this drama whole. It's an awkward and amazing drama because, in its details, it's foolish, a bit naive even, and again the direction and execution seems almost childish at times and then, in its whole, this drama enters a totally different level. The emotions and feelings are so strong that, in a few milliseconds, you're forgetting all these past mistakes in a heartbeat, almost mesmerized by the main leads as they cling to each other, healing each other (and that's important too, in a way they're also healing the audience itself).
True enough, the dissociative disorder seems at times nothing more than a plot device, a tool to progress the story, but the actions and reactions, the conflicts brought by this illness, seems nothing less than genuine and carefully thought, and in time, describe a beautiful example of a love that transcends it all.
So, take place in your most confortable sofa, relax, and enjoy watching Kill me Heal me. This is highly recommanded by your psy.