I started dramas long ago, around 2005 probably. I believe - and I'm not even sure - the first one was Gokusen. I was reading the manga on internet and got word of a live action. Back then, I only watched jdramas until I tried Full House. It did grow old but it was still a pretty good drama at that time. There were few ones about cohabitation.
Now, I have watched many dramas and would gladly give recommendations if you're in a slump. You can also check the lists I made if you're looking for a specific genre. There are a few genres I'm usually not fond of (although there are exceptions) and won't be able to make recommendations : melodramas, family, tokusatsu, law, business, tragedy, and medical dramas.
My rating system :
10 = major drama you MUST watch at least once !
9 = very good drama definitely worth watching !
8 = good drama, really enjoyable but not exceptionnal enough to get a 9.
7 = enjoyable drama to pass time but I probably won't remember it.
6 = Not that bad but sometimes a bit boring. Fast-forwarded often.
5 = Just boring. Most likely dropped.
4 = Way too overacted to my taste.
3 = I hate one of the main characters / Something in the main theme highly bothered me (for exemple showing people getting drunk as something cool)
2 = No story.
1 = Absolutely unfinished ending (not just an open-ending). I seriously felt like I wasted my time.
0 = Not rated
NB 1 : When the rating is something and a half, that just means I hesitated.
NB 2 : Once in a while, I update my drama list. I dropped a point on some dramas because they aged, because a lot of time passed and I didn't remember them as strongly as others, or simply because I now consider other dramas better. Sometimes, it's the other way around : with time, they grew onto me.
My tastes :
- Of course, the plot is the most important for crime dramas.
- There has to be action from time to time.
- Especially fond of dramas about profilers.
- And also fond of dramas about an mc with a hidden identity.
- If mixed with Romance, jackpot!
- I don't really care about the special effects quality. Anyway, it's better and better nowadays, fortunately.
- Unique stories are a plus.
- If it's about powers, they have to be used quite often. Else, why bother making it a fantasy?
- If mixed with Crime, jackpot!
Historical / Period :
- I don't really care about how similar to real history it is.
- I like to watch the characters grow and achieve their goals.
- I find the political intrigue usually great in period dramas, unlike modern ones.
- I like the action in most period dramas. Sword fighting scenes are the best!
- If mixed with Fantasy, jackpot!
- A drama without romance has to be really well-written to be worth it.
- But I don't especially need a kiss to consider it a romance, like I found out while watching a few lakorns.
- Still, I love skinship ;) The more sensual, the better. (You can check this thread in the forum.)
- I don't like cute characters as main leads, be it men or women, but especially men.
- I hate sad endings. There are a few exceptions because of how well-written it was, but I usually avoid them.
Romantic comedies :
- I usually end up rating them around 7 or 8/10. It's unusual for me to rate them higher.
- It has to be funny, of course! At least for some time, ideally most of the drama. (That's why Lie to Me is a 10)
- Again, unique stories are a plus.
- Especially fond of gender-benders.