• Join Date: July 17, 2016
Circle
Jun 28, 2017
This show was amazing. It's my new favorite KDrama. I never realized a KDrama could be this good. It truly is something special.

The story certainly isn't perfect. There are some odd leaps in logic and some twists that are a bit too wild, but the vast majority of the story is well crafted and incredibly well written. I am stunned that the writer was actually able to pull off two connected stories going simultaneously without anything too weird happening. I have no words for how impressed I am. There are some plot holes left at the end, but they're small. I feel like any loose ends are actually hinting at a second season, but if there isn't one, it ended nicely enough that it's okay.

The acting in this show was fantastic. Every actor hit every mark. It was perfect. Yeo Jin Goo has skills beyond his years. Kim Kang Woo had to play a character with many sides, and he did so with such talent and finesse. Gong Seung Yeon is more than just a pretty face. She knows what she's doing. I underestimated Lee Ki Kwang. This show marks one of the few times where an idol totally blew my mind. I expected him to be the worst in the cast, but he was on par with rest of them. He was great. The extended cast and younger versions of characters were fantastic, too. This is an unbelievably solid cast.

The music suited the show, and there was more than one song that I really liked. Uji's OST was especially good.

I would definitely rewatch this, now that I know everything that's going on. I feel like seeing it again would allow me to catch hints that I missed before.

I really loved this drama. It's not perfect, but it's so close, that I can't help but give it a 10. I definitely recommend it.

Defendant
Jun 7, 2018
Listen, I know a lot of people really, really loved this drama, but while it struck a chord with others, it just didn't appeal to me quite as much. It's definitely not terrible, but it's not the best thing ever, either.

I'm on good terms with the story, but I struggled a lot with the pacing. I came for a murder mystery and maybe a cool prison-break, but I had to wait until more than halfway thorough the show to get either one. Everything leading up to what I wanted was relatively uninteresting and very repetitive. The redeeming qualities of these parts was the main villain and the rapport that the inmates had with each other. Those parts were genuinely fun to watch, but the barrels of red herrings constantly thrown at me wasn't creative. They were boring and I just wanted the show to move on.

I like most of the cast. Ji Sung is solid, as usual (if a little scream-y, but that's a matter of personal taste). This is the first time I've ever seen Uhm Ki Joon, and I was very impressed. He has a nice voice and seems to be very skilled. I will definitely pursue his other works. Yuri was serviceable. The other inmates were a blast to watch. They seemed to genuinely get along with one another, and it was very refreshing. Oh Chang Seok as Kang Joon Hyuk was about as emotional as a piece of plywood for most of the show, but he seemed to be trying to be more varied toward the end, which was definitely an improvement. The supporting cast was generally good, with a couple wooden people but mostly good people.

I have literally never heard such aggressive fiddling in a KDrama soundtrack. The fiddle was so intense that I actually laughed out loud at how out of place it was.

I will not rewatch this.

It wasn't exactly a standout for me, but if you enjoy law dramas, you'll probably enjoy this drama.

Healer
Dec 12, 2016
This show is one of the best Kdramas I've ever seen. I went in with high expectations because of what other viewers have said, and came out very satisfied. This show is skillfully acted, well written, and really shows what a Kdrama can and should be.

I'm going to have to watch other things this writer has done, because I've only seen this level of polish in a drama a few other times. The story flowed so well, and every twist felt like a part of the plot, rather than another bit of conflict to push the characters along. Nothing felt thrown together, and I was so interested in the complexities of the plot, that I actually made a character web as I went, because I didn't want to miss a single detail. Many times, dramas like these are written in such a way that the plot isn't more important than the action, but in the case of this show, they are equally important, with them being balanced and helping along each other.

I also have to talk about Seo Jung Hoo as a character, and how the way he was written is so important to the show. Yes, he's quite OP, taking down hordes of bad guys almost every episode, but at the same time, he isn't a super-soldier. He takes hits, he gets poisoned, he gets taken off guard. He's not perfect, and that makes the character seem much more human. Combine that with a masterful performance by Ji Chang Wook, and you have a perfect character.

Very few times have I seen a cast that works together this well. Not only was there powerful romantic chemistry between Ji Chang Wook and Park Min Young, but there was also a sense of family between everyone at Someday News, and definitely between the three main leads. The three main leads all blew my mind, never breaking my immersion in the story. They don't come across as actors; they come across as characters.

The music was great. Very rarely did it come in at awkward times (like OSTs so often do), and all the music was just different enough that it didn't become monotonous or annoying. It helped set the mood instead of ruining it.

I would definitely rewatch this. I think it deserves it.

I very much recommend this drama. It's really in a league of its own.

Goblin
Feb 6, 2017
tl;dr: This drama is literally perfect. Watch it. It's what all the cool kids are doing.

I don't like to give dramas a 10 in every category, because there's (almost) always something a show can improve on. Goblin, though, gets a 10 for everything because it did literally everything perfectly. I finished it just the other day, and thinking back, there are no issues I have with it. It has officially stolen the top spot on my list of favorite dramas. It's so amazing, and I love it to pieces. Seriously, just... watch it. You won't regret it even a little.

No drama has ever made me both laugh and cry as consistently as this one. The story of this show is so creative. The characters are so real, despite the show having such an fantastical plot. Everything about the show is beautiful, with brilliant colors and the best special effects I've ever seen in a drama.

All the actors did an amazing job. I usually don't like the female actresses in dramas, because they so often don't express much emotion. Kim Go Eun brought her all, though. I really didn't like the character to begin with, but Ji Eun Tak grew so much over the course of the show, and Go Eun portrayed the change excellently. Another surprising thing was how kind, and caring, and real Kim Shin (the Goblin) was. He was such a sweet person, despite his struggles with having lived so long. Gong Yoo darn near killed me with his portrayal of the Goblin. Everything felt so genuine. Gong Yoo lives his roles, rather than just play them, and this has shown throughout all of his works. Lee Dong Wook made a grim reaper seem cute. There is no one who could have played the role of the Grim Reaper better. Dong Wook did so well as the awkward, emotional grim Reaper.

The music was perfect for this show. It's so enchanting and relaxing.

I would definitely be willing to watch this show again.

I recommend this show, for sure. Please, watch it. It's so perfect. I'll never forget it.

Are You Human Too?
"Are You Human, Too?" is a very unique drama. South Korea doesn’t do sci-fi, so for this drama to come in, guns blazing, is rather impressive. Still, it has a lot of flaws. I recommend it, for sure, but don’t expect a masterpiece.

If there’s any word to describe the story, it’s “creative”. It doesn’t have the best structure, nor the best pacing, but it’s definitely very interesting. I couldn’t get enough of it, even when it presented logical errors or inconsistencies. The inconsistencies bothered me, yes, but they don’t ruin the show. If you’re experienced with KDramas and you want something a little different, this drama definitely fills that role. There’s some needless fluff here and there and the romance comes off more as a deep friendship, but still, it’s a lot of fun to watch.

I think that this show’s strongest asset is its interesting cast of characters. Not only are all the characters unique in their own right, but the way they all interact with each other is special, too. The stark contrast between human-Shin and robo-Shin is especially impressive and well-executed. I loved whenever they were on screen together. Their interactions presented some of the most tense, entertaining parts of the show. I also adored Young Hoon and his chemistry with both Nam Shin and NS3. Young Hoon was such an intriguing character and I wish he’d played an even bigger role in the show. I know a lot of people dropped this show because Kang So Bong is annoying at the beginning (which she is), but once the show starts to pick up, she becomes a character worth giving a hoot about, and she has really good chemistry with robo-Shin.

Not only did I love the characters, but I loved the actors playing them. This is a very talented cast, with special props going to Seo Kang Joon. He played two very different characters flawlessly. You could always tell which Shin was which, even when they were pretending to be each other. I really didn’t expect him to do so well. I also really liked Yoo Oh Sung as the main villain. He’s got the perfect face and voice for villainy and I love seeing him. He excelled as Seo Jong Gil, for sure. I wasn’t as impressed with Gong Seung Yeon, but her character was a bit flat anyway, so I’ll blame the writing, not her. The rest of the cast was very good, too. I loved how everyone had chemistry with everyone else.

The music is nothing to call home about. Not bad, but certainly not all that impressive. Some songs are pretty, but I think in general the OST is flat. I wish it had leaned a bit further into a more science-fiction-y sound.

I will not rewatch this show. I feel like once one knows the twists, the show is not enjoyable anymore. I think it would feel too same-y on a second watch-through.

I do recommend this drama, for sure. This is one of only a few dramas that I have watched while it was airing, and I was always so excited for new episodes to be subbed. Flaws aside, it’s very enjoyable and I hope that more KDramas experiment with sci-fi.

Missing Noir M
Jul 14, 2017
This review is sort of hard to write. There were many redeeming qualities that made me love it, but so many things that made it less than satisfactory.

My biggest issues lies with the plot. The first two cases (which span the first four episodes) are outlandish, ridiculous, and hard to follow, especially the first one. The first case (the first two episodes) has a tone that is completely different than the tone of the rest of the show. There were only two and a half cases (five episodes) that I really enjoyed. Those cases that were good were VERY good. They were incredibly well written, emotional, and well-acted. Those weren't so good were super disappointing. The cases called HOME was especially great. They also tried to give Soo Hyun a backstory, but with only ten episodes, they really didn't have a chance to expand upon it and the ending is unsatisfying because of it. The final twist it good, but still, it's left unresolved. Thankfully the episodes that were bad were not unwatchable thanks to the fantastic acting in this show.

The main three leads, Kim Kang Woo, Park Hee Soon, and Jo Bo Ah are a really talented bunch, especially Kim Kang Woo. He was able to get across so much emotion with a character that could have used some more fleshing out. I wanted so badly to learn more about Soo Hyun, but this show disappoints on that front. I loved his performance and loved the character because of him. Park Hee Soon surprised me. I'd never seen him before, and his emotional performance really impressed me. I expected Jo Bo Ah to fall flat, but she definitely shined, especially in the HOME case.

I really enjoyed the music. It suited the tone of the show and the songs themselves were enjoyable and could easily stand alone outside of a KDrama.

If I were to rewatch this, I would only rewatch a few episodes. The first four were not interesting to me, and since the whole show doesn't have one continuous plot, I could cherry-pick those I wanted to see and those I didn't.

The parts of the show that were good were better than I ever could have expected, and they are the sole reason I'm giving the show the rating I am. This cast was incredible and some of the cases were fantastic. Sadly, the acting could not save those cases that were duds.

I would recommend this, solely for the good cases and great performances. Maybe someone else could see the good in the cases I didn't like so much.

Kill Me, Heal Me
Jul 27, 2016
What a great show! I was hugely disappointed after watching "Hyde, Jekyll, Me" a few months ago, so I was a little wary of watching this, which also uses the DID motif. Boy, was I wrong to be worried about this show. It's of such high quality and an absolute blast to watch.

A little ridiculous, yes, and the show's portrayal of DID is a little off, but for the purpose of the TV show's plot, it was just fine. Do Hyun and Ri Jin's past is intriguing and filled with interesting twists as they slowly begin to recall their memories of the past. All of the personalities have interesting origins, and how they fit into Do Hyun's past is very interesting and fun to put together. It's never overly convoluted, and I was always excited to see what would happen next. It's creative and an absolute joy to watch unfold. The story can be very deep and emotional one moment, but hilarious the next (like when Se Gi makes a wheel for Ri Jin to spin to see which personality she should save). I do have to say, the last two episodes, while action packed and very interesting, leave a little bit to be desired in terms of Do Hyun's final treatment.

Acting/Cast:

This show's casting was downright amazing. I'm actually glad that other actors turned down the role of Do Hyun, because Ji Sung ended up playing the character's 7 personalities brilliantly. He gave a no holds barred performance, making Se Gi dangerous yet appealing, Do Hyun charming and kind, and Yo Na just a little bit terrifying, not to mention the other four, Perry, Na Na, Yo Seob, and Mr. X. Also, I don't think I've fallen for a character as hard as I did Do Hyun. Hwang Jung Eum is an actress whose work I will definitely seek out now that I've seen her in "KMHM". She gave a very strong performance and added her own flare to an already quality character. Park Seo Joon is another actor I'd never seen before, so I'm glad this was my introduction to him. His portrayal of a brother with conflicting feelings about his sister's past and what sort of love he holds for her was great. The two of them seemed like real siblings.

The main theme, "Hallucination", is wonderful, and though it was used a lot, it never became boring. Park Seo Joon and Ji Sung's songs were very emotional, and they meant so much more when something important was happening on screen, and you hear the voice of one of the characters singing about their pain and fear. The music always fits the mood. It was very enjoyable, and I actually downloaded the OST because I liked it so much.

Rewatch Value:

After seeing it once and knowing the whole story, I would love to see it again just so I can further delve into each personality and to see exactly why they are who they are. Ri On is also a really interesting character, and his feelings towards his sister, Ri Jin, are much more complicated than they seem at first, and the things that he felt for her when they were teenagers, and then as they grew up into adults are very deep, and they definitely deserve another look through, just so you can better understand his unique love for her.

This show blew me away. I had very few gripes with it and it was a ton of fun to watch. More than anything else, watch it for Ji Sung's amazing performance as Do Hyun and the other personalities. He's captivating, and brings so much life into each personality, and so easily fools the viewer into thinking that they are actual, separate people, and not just facets of one person. Watch it for Do Hyun and Ri Jin's beautiful relationship, which isn't fueled by abuse, or anger, or misunderstandings like so many other K-drama relationships are. Watch it for Ri On and Ri Jin's special relationship, which is so wholesome and heartwarming. Just... watch this show.

Vampire Detective
Jul 18, 2016
OCN has done it again, producing yet another awesome, dark, and serious KDrama. I love vampires, and I love the shows that OCN puts out, and with such a fantastic cast and amazing characters, "Vampire Detective" was a great addition to the pile of shows I’ve watched.

I have to say, the story isn’t bad. The problem is, the real conflict doesn’t come until the end. In the last few episodes, the main plot is finally revealed, whereas the previous nine episodes were mostly unimportant sub-plots that didn’t add anything to the main plot. These side-stories often felt like filler content between important scenes. It isn’t bad, but this isn’t the show to watch when you want mind-blowing depth. Treat it like you would "Law & Order". Most of the episodes are self-contained adventures to enjoy one at a time. One complaint I do have though is how they treated vampirism. I’m not entirely sure what sort of vampire San is supposed to be, and among the other vampires, certain traits and abilities are inconsistent and never fully explained. Still, this can be looked over.

My, what a lovely cast you have. Lee Joon was absolutely fantastic as Yoon San. He was believable and brought a lot of depth to a rather underdeveloped character. He’s a joy to watch on screen. Oh Jung Se is an actor I’ve seen in only one other show ("The Lover"), and I was glad I got to see him in action once again. Part comic relief, part supportive friend, Yong Goo Hyung was a great character and Oh Jung Se really brought him to life. Lee Se Young is an actress I’ve never come across before, but she was great as Han Gyeo Wool. I don’t think anyone could have played such a strong and cool character as well as she did. Our main villain, Yo Na, played by Lee Chung Ah, was an awesome antagonist, pulled off by an impressive actress. This show probably has some of my favorite female characters. None of them are the whiny pushovers you see in other shows.

I couldn’t find an OST anywhere, and so working off memory, I can say that the music did its job.

Like the comparison I made to "Law & Order" earlier, most people, even if they’ve already seen an episode, would watch it again if it happened to come on. I think "Vampire Detective" is the same way. In fact, it might just be a little more enjoyable the second time through, armed with the knowledge you’ll earn from the last few episodes.

"Vampire Detective" was enjoyable, but one has to go in with the knowledge that it won’t be too deep. You won’t be bawling your eyes out. You won’t be swooning at the romance (you might swoon at Lee Joon, though). Still, the characters are interesting and you’ll come to like the main three characters, as they make a great team, and are a rather uncommon set of KDrama characters (the “No BS” female lead, a NICE male lead that RESPECTS women, and a comic relief second male lead that isn’t completely useless). If you like action and mystery, but don’t want to get too wound up in the plot, "Vampire Detective" is perfect for you.

The K2
May 21, 2017
Going into this drama, I saw a lot of negative stuff about it. I don't think it was nearly as bad as a lot of people were saying. I actually quite enjoyed it. It was along the same vein as Healer, just not as polished.

The story, like many other drama stories, slowed down quite a bit toward the middle, though the beginning and ending were exciting and tons of fun to watch. At it's core, the story is pretty simple: revenge. But, as the show goes on, more and more secrets are revealed leading to a rather interesting plot. Most of the characters were solid and well integrated. The show makes up for its simplicity with how flashy it is. Nothing much really happens, but everything moves so quickly and looks so good that you don't really notice as you watch. When It drags, it doesn't drag too much, and when it's good, the show flies by. It's not a difficult plot to wrap your head around. Don't think too much when you watch it. Just enjoy it for what it is.

The romance is awkward. Jae Ha and Anna were okay, but the chemistry between the actors was lacking. Jae Ha and Yoo Jin had so much more going for them, and I honestly wish that the writers pursued Yoo Jin's feelings for Jae Ha a little more. It would have spiced things up a lot.

This cast was a really solid one. Ji Chang Wook impressed, as always. He didn't really have much to work with, and made Jae Ha into the best character he could, and that was pretty cool. The writers didn't try to make Jae Ha a good guy: his morals were ambiguous, and the only thing he cared about was his girl and his friends. Anna is not my favorite character ever. She was flat, and Im Yoon Ah's average acting didn't help. She did the best she could. Song Yoon Ah stole the entire show. She made evil look easy. Choi Yoo Jin was calculating and uncaring on the outside, but a soft young woman on the inside. It was really awesome what Song did with the character. If you are unsure of whether or not to watch this, watch it for Choi Yoo Jin. She was amazing. I also have a special mention for Shin Dong Mi, the woman who played Chief Kim. I loved this character so much, and this actress played her so well. I really love how Chief Kim impacts the very end. She was my second favorite character, just under Choi Yoo Jin.

There were some pretty songs in the OST, but even this show fell into the trap that all KDramas seem to: really loud ballads. There was a chanting piece that seemed really out of place in some spots. Sometimes the music would kick in at awkward times. It wasn't perfect, just average.

I won't rewatch this, probably.

I do recommend it. This show has some of the best villains. I was really impressed with all of them. Watch for them.

The Five
This movie was a bit messy for my tastes, and I'm not referring to the pools of blood.

Overall, I felt like the film was poorly developed and not all that interesting. By the time the end rolled around, I knew only two of the characters' names, and that's not because I wasn't paying attention. I had no reason to care for any of the characters and therefore no reason to remember any of their names. Only the main woman had any sort of interesting story, and even then, she was defined by the tragedy that struck her, not by any interesting character traits she had. That's sort of disappointing when you go into a film that had decent reviews. I honestly was not impressed by this film.

The acting was fine. Most if not all the people in this film are veteran actors and all of them did just fine. No complaints.

The music was humorously out of place at some points. While the songs themselves were fine, they were often a bit too chipper for the blood-soaked murders that were happening on screen.

The friendship between the religious woman and the main lady was cute, but underdeveloped.

The ending was abrupt and I laughed out loud.

This film had potential, but it didn't deliver. I wouldn't recommend it.

The Guardians
Jul 17, 2018
This drama was very, very impressive and I'm glad I finally took the time to watch it. I definitely recommend it.

The story is rock-solid, except for in the beginning. Do Han's plan was hard to understand at the beginning, and I had a lot of trouble piecing together his motives. This might have been done on purpose to show how two-faced Do Han is, but it was honestly so confusing that I considered dropping the show. I'm really glad I stuck with it, but know that the beginning portion is rather confusing. There were also several points in the show where there were inexcusable leaps in logic and a couple instances where characters seemed to be able to predict events that they would have no ability to know about. Aside from that, the story was mostly compelling and had many twists that really threw me. The ending is especially twisty, and while it was a bit abrupt, I feel like it made sense. I don't like what happened, but the ending is fitting, nonetheless. I'll admit, it was a little unsatisfying, but not worth avoiding the show over.

The characters in this show were really solid as well. They didn't take out of character actions, and they grew and changed a lot over the course of the show. I definitely appreciate the wide variety of personalities and how the writers mostly avoided stereotypes, cliches, and other KDrama pitfalls in respect to how they put their characters together. I especially liked Jo Soo Ji, who ended up being one of my favorite KDrama female leads ever. I adore how she was written. Do Han was great, too! He is exactly the kind of morally ambiguous character that I like! He was well-written and very, very interesting. Kyung Soo and Bo Mi were delightful. I appreciate the dynamic that the 4 leads had and I wish that more shows that have this style of crime-fighting-team gave their leads chemistry like this group. The main villain, Yoon Seung Ro, was a bit flat, but that's okay. His son was really good. He sort of sneaks up on the viewer and the leads. Shi Wan is definitely the underdog-villain, in this show.

The acting was great. The whole cast was fun to watch. Lee Shi Young and Kim Young Kwang were probably my favorites, in that order. They seemed to have so much passion for their roles, and it really showed, in my opinion. They managed to bring out so much raw emotion, which was very entertaining, and at some points, quite moving. Jang Do Han, as a character, is manipulative and a bit crazed, but he also has some sympathetic qualities; Kim Young Kwang pulled the character off far better than I expected. Lee Shi Young had a lot riding on her performance as a heartbroken mother, and every moment she was on screen, whether she be sobbing or fighting baddies, was convincing. I think it's very obvious that Key is a stage-actor. His exaggerated movements, facial expressions, and vocal inflections absolutely scream musical theater, and I loved it. It suited the character very well. Kim Seul Gi is adorable and a very talented performer. She was believable and a blast to watch. I'm really sad to see this cast go.

I noticed while watching the show that it appears Lee Shi Young did several of her own stunts, including some pretty scary, dangerous-looking ones. She was even pregnant for a lot of the filming of the show! I was very, very impressed with the difficulty of many of her stunts and fights. It's clear that she put a lot of effort and passion into this role.

This show has an excellent soundtrack! There are a few tranquil, beautiful songs in this OST, as well as harsh, dance-able songs that really get you in the mood for some action. This is definitely the kind of soundtrack I would be willing to listen to outside of the show. I loved it. I do have to complain a little about how it was used in the end of the show, though. The show ends on a rather somber note with peaceful music playing... which then abruptly changes to loud, intense rap music. It sort of ruined the mood.

I don't rewatch dramas, but if I did, I would definitely be okay with rewatching this one. I think it deserves it.

I really loved this drama and wholeheartedly recommend it to everyone. I wish it wasn't over.

Save Me
Feb 12, 2018
I haven't written a review for a KDrama in a long time due to being really busy.  This show is worth it, though. This show single-handedly dragged me out of my drama slump and that's really special. This show, like other OCN series, is fantastic, and most definitely worth a watch. Trust me.

I really love the story. It's not often that I see a story as controversial as this one told with this level of taste. This story features a crazy cult, murder, and the threat of sexual abuse in multiple spots, yet it's not overly gory or sexual. That's pretty nifty.  This show wields fear skillfully, being genuinely scary and causing discomfort frequently and well. The show surprised me and even made me gasp on multiple occasions. Being as jaded as I am, shows don't really surprise me anymore, so actually gasping at a show is pretty special. I like that. The characters are, for the most part, very well fleshed out and have realistic motives. They behave like real people. They make mistakes, they're selfish, they're emotional, they have regrets. Characters are given fully formed personalities, and that makes for an interesting watch. I was so happy to see logical, well-thought-out character motivations. It was unbelievably refreshing.

There are still faults in the story, though. I feel that the indoctrination of one character in particular was way too fast, so fast that it seemed illogical and strange. The characterization of the detective seemed oddly inconsistent, which is disappointing. The subplot with the detective and the gangster seemed too disconnected from the main story for most of the show, which was annoying. A couple episodes are too disjointed for my taste. The preaching scenes showed up too frequently, going from impressive and scary to boring. Still, the good outweighs the bad.

I adore this cast. Taecyeon has improved immensely since Let's Fight Ghost, which is such a relief. A lot of KDrama viewers hate having idols as leads, but I honestly think he did a good job. I appreciate that. Still, as much as I loved Taecyeon, Seo Ye Ji knocked it out of the park. She outshined the whole cast. She has a great speaking voice, she displays emotion very well, and was very realistic. I loved watching her. Woo Do Hwan was another person I loved watching. He's genuinely good at what he does. I would definitely watch other shows from all three of these actors. They impressed me. The actors playing the main cultists (Baek Jung Ki, Apostle Kang, and Apostle Jo) all did a great job, too. Jo Jae Yun actually made me uncomfortable more than once. Good on him. He made me scream "stranger danger" in my mind more than once, even with the hilarious perm.

To be honest, the only thing I really remember about the show's music is its absence, which I'm totally okay with. A show like this works well with a lack of music. When the show does have music, it works well. I remember at one point there was a shaman doing shaman stuff running parallel to one of Baek's sermons. The scene alternated between the two, and the music tied them together very well.

Being that I'm not someone who rewatches shows, I can only say that, if I was, I would.

I definitely recommend this show. I loved it. It has its flaws, but they're nothing compared to how fantastic the rest of the show is.

Age of Youth
Aug 22, 2017
This drama is very, very special. I can't say that there's anything quite like it.

This drama's story is this: five girls live together in an apartment called Belle Epoque. Still, its premise is deceptively simple, as the stories of the five girls reveal themselves to be much deeper and more emotional than I ever would have expected. The bond that the five girls build is unlike any I've seen in an ensemble cast KDrama. The story is deep and beautiful, and very well-executed. The writers knew what they were doing. They tackled tough subjects without making fun of them. They had strong women and they had less strong women, but they were all treated with respect by the writers. I've never seen anything like it in Korean media.

This cast was delightful. Despite two of the leads being former idols, I wouldn't have known without looking them up, as I didn't recognize either of them. All five of the girls were fantastic, though, doing and saying things that I'd never seen women do in a KDrama. They were fantastic. Their respective boyfriends were great, too. All the supporting characters were solid as well. Whoever handled casting clearly knew what they were doing.

I want the OST for this show so much. There were a wide variety of songs with lots of different tones. Over all, the music was very warm and personal and very well illustrated the feel of the show. It never resorted to KDrama cliches, like loud ballads. Music always came in right when it should and it was used to set or add to a tone. It never ruined the mood, and I can't say that about many dramas. It was lovely.

I probably won't rewatch this, but if I had to, I wouldn't mind.

This drama was delightful. It did things I've never seen in KDramas before. I could relate to many of the characters, and saw a lot of myself in them. They were imperfect, and that was so great. I really love this show. I definitely recommend it. Please, go watch it.

Vampire Prosecutor
Aug 10, 2017
I have to say, I really enjoyed this. It's certainly not the best drama I've ever watched, but it does a lot right. I liked it.

The story is rough in spots. I liked 8 out of 12 episodes, which is pretty good for a "monster of the week" show. Min Tae Yeon is a really cool, interesting character, and I wanted to learn as much about him as I could. He was the perfect lead for this kind of show. The action scenes were pretty good (if a little cheesy). Most of the cases were entertaining, though a few were too confusing or too ridiculous for my tastes. The show didn't waste the time it had. It got done what it needed to in 12 episodes and didn't feel rushed for most of it. I liked it. The first two episodes were duds. They were confusing and definitely weren't fun to watch. Still, the rest of the show is pretty solid. The end is sort of unsatisfying, but I'll let that slide since there's a second season that might make things feel a little more complete.

I really like this cast. They have great chemistry and are a lot of fun to watch. Yeon Jung Hoon and Lee Won Jong pulled off their characters' friendship better than I expected. The show drops you in with very little information, yet it was very clear how long Tae Yeon and Detective Hwang had known each other before the viewers got to see them. Yoo Jung In wasn't a very interesting character, but Lee Young Ah carried her well and added a little spice to an otherwise boring character. The supporting characters and various criminals did well enough, too. I especially liked Yeon Jung Hoon in the lead though. He did a great job. I would love to see more of him in the future.

The music was nothing to call home about.

I probably won't rewatch this, though if I decided to, I would only rewatch certain episodes, since each one is mostly self-contained.

I recommend this drama. The cast is great and the majority of the show is well-done and fun to watch. I'll definitely be watching season 2.

Hello Monster
Aug 1, 2017
This show was a fun ride with an excellent cast, an interesting story, and great writing. The ending leaves something to be desired, but that doesn't make it bad.

I've watched a lot of dramas that use a sort of "monster of the week"/Scooby-Doo formula, and this drama did a great job of it. The cases were easy to follow and tied together in a very logical way. The hidden identity shenanigans were also well done. Our main character, Lee Hyun, is a smart person, and he figures out who everyone is at a reasonable pace. The hidden identities aren't dragged out for an unreasonable amount of time. The writers clearly respected the intelligence of the viewers. The romance was well-written and well-paced. The writer put a lot of care into making the story interesting, yet easy to puzzle through. There weren't any odd leaps of logic, just fun mystery solving. The ending is sort of a cliffhanger, and while it wasn't terrible, it felt a little rushed. Still, it wasn't so terrible that you should skip the last episode. It suited the tone of the show and made sense for the characters, but didn't suit my tastes.

I really liked this cast. The main four leads, Seo In Guk, Jang Na Ra, Park Bo Gum, and Choi Won Young had great chemistry and played their roles very well. The supporting actors who formed the investigation team were a lot of fun to watch. The team behaved like a family. The actors made it obvious that the characters had been working together long before we were introduced to them, and that's something that a lot of these "team-based" shows don't quite get right. Kang Eun Hyuk's (adorable) crush on Cha Ji An wasn't stuffed in the viewer's face. It was obvious he liked her, but they didn't feel the need to turn him into a love rival for Lee Hyun. They didn't include a love triangle and I am really glad they made that choice. They avoided unnecessary conflict, and I loved it.

The music is just okay. While there were some songs I really liked. The piece that plays during the intro is fun and sets the mysterious yet whimsical tone of the show. At the same time though, this show did the one thing every KDrama seems to do: it has a really loud ballad with lots of belting that always starts to play at the wrong time. There were lots of instances where a scene could have easily been silent, but they felt the need to shoehorn a song in, and it just didn't work.

I might rewatch this. I'm satisfied with just one viewing, so I don't think I really need to see it again. There's nothing I feel like I need to go back for, but watching it again wouldn't be terrible.

This drama was really good. It'll probably end up one of my favorites. It was a ton of fun to watch. I definitely recommend it.