• Last Online: Sep 13, 2019

KearaMH

The Mitten
Circle
Jun 28, 2017
This show was amazing. It's my new favorite KDrama. I never realized a KDrama could be this good. It truly is something special.

The story certainly isn't perfect. There are some odd leaps in logic and some twists that are a bit too wild, but the vast majority of the story is well crafted and incredibly well written. I am stunned that the writer was actually able to pull off two connected stories going simultaneously without anything too weird happening. I have no words for how impressed I am. There are some plot holes left at the end, but they're small. I feel like any loose ends are actually hinting at a second season, but if there isn't one, it ended nicely enough that it's okay.

The acting in this show was fantastic. Every actor hit every mark. It was perfect. Yeo Jin Goo has skills beyond his years. Kim Kang Woo had to play a character with many sides, and he did so with such talent and finesse. Gong Seung Yeon is more than just a pretty face. She knows what she's doing. I underestimated Lee Ki Kwang. This show marks one of the few times where an idol totally blew my mind. I expected him to be the worst in the cast, but he was on par with rest of them. He was great. The extended cast and younger versions of characters were fantastic, too. This is an unbelievably solid cast.

The music suited the show, and there was more than one song that I really liked. Uji's OST was especially good.

I would definitely rewatch this, now that I know everything that's going on. I feel like seeing it again would allow me to catch hints that I missed before.

I really loved this drama. It's not perfect, but it's so close, that I can't help but give it a 10. I definitely recommend it.

Defendant
Jun 7, 2018
Listen, I know a lot of people really, really loved this drama, but while it struck a chord with others, it just didn't appeal to me quite as much. It's definitely not terrible, but it's not the best thing ever, either.

I'm on good terms with the story, but I struggled a lot with the pacing. I came for a murder mystery and maybe a cool prison-break, but I had to wait until more than halfway thorough the show to get either one. Everything leading up to what I wanted was relatively uninteresting and very repetitive. The redeeming qualities of these parts was the main villain and the rapport that the inmates had with each other. Those parts were genuinely fun to watch, but the barrels of red herrings constantly thrown at me wasn't creative. They were boring and I just wanted the show to move on.

I like most of the cast. Ji Sung is solid, as usual (if a little scream-y, but that's a matter of personal taste). This is the first time I've ever seen Uhm Ki Joon, and I was very impressed. He has a nice voice and seems to be very skilled. I will definitely pursue his other works. Yuri was serviceable. The other inmates were a blast to watch. They seemed to genuinely get along with one another, and it was very refreshing. Oh Chang Seok as Kang Joon Hyuk was about as emotional as a piece of plywood for most of the show, but he seemed to be trying to be more varied toward the end, which was definitely an improvement. The supporting cast was generally good, with a couple wooden people but mostly good people.

I have literally never heard such aggressive fiddling in a KDrama soundtrack. The fiddle was so intense that I actually laughed out loud at how out of place it was.

I will not rewatch this.

It wasn't exactly a standout for me, but if you enjoy law dramas, you'll probably enjoy this drama.

Healer
Dec 12, 2016
This show is one of the best Kdramas I've ever seen. I went in with high expectations because of what other viewers have said, and came out very satisfied. This show is skillfully acted, well written, and really shows what a Kdrama can and should be.

I'm going to have to watch other things this writer has done, because I've only seen this level of polish in a drama a few other times. The story flowed so well, and every twist felt like a part of the plot, rather than another bit of conflict to push the characters along. Nothing felt thrown together, and I was so interested in the complexities of the plot, that I actually made a character web as I went, because I didn't want to miss a single detail. Many times, dramas like these are written in such a way that the plot isn't more important than the action, but in the case of this show, they are equally important, with them being balanced and helping along each other.

I also have to talk about Seo Jung Hoo as a character, and how the way he was written is so important to the show. Yes, he's quite OP, taking down hordes of bad guys almost every episode, but at the same time, he isn't a super-soldier. He takes hits, he gets poisoned, he gets taken off guard. He's not perfect, and that makes the character seem much more human. Combine that with a masterful performance by Ji Chang Wook, and you have a perfect character.

Very few times have I seen a cast that works together this well. Not only was there powerful romantic chemistry between Ji Chang Wook and Park Min Young, but there was also a sense of family between everyone at Someday News, and definitely between the three main leads. The three main leads all blew my mind, never breaking my immersion in the story. They don't come across as actors; they come across as characters.

The music was great. Very rarely did it come in at awkward times (like OSTs so often do), and all the music was just different enough that it didn't become monotonous or annoying. It helped set the mood instead of ruining it.

I would definitely rewatch this. I think it deserves it.

I very much recommend this drama. It's really in a league of its own.

Are You Human Too?
Aug 8, 2018
"Are You Human, Too?" is a very unique drama. South Korea doesn’t do sci-fi, so for this drama to come in, guns blazing, is rather impressive. Still, it has a lot of flaws. I recommend it, for sure, but don’t expect a masterpiece.

If there’s any word to describe the story, it’s “creative”. It doesn’t have the best structure, nor the best pacing, but it’s definitely very interesting. I couldn’t get enough of it, even when it presented logical errors or inconsistencies. The inconsistencies bothered me, yes, but they don’t ruin the show. If you’re experienced with KDramas and you want something a little different, this drama definitely fills that role. There’s some needless fluff here and there and the romance comes off more as a deep friendship, but still, it’s a lot of fun to watch.

I think that this show’s strongest asset is its interesting cast of characters. Not only are all the characters unique in their own right, but the way they all interact with each other is special, too. The stark contrast between human-Shin and robo-Shin is especially impressive and well-executed. I loved whenever they were on screen together. Their interactions presented some of the most tense, entertaining parts of the show. I also adored Young Hoon and his chemistry with both Nam Shin and NS3. Young Hoon was such an intriguing character and I wish he’d played an even bigger role in the show. I know a lot of people dropped this show because Kang So Bong is annoying at the beginning (which she is), but once the show starts to pick up, she becomes a character worth giving a hoot about, and she has really good chemistry with robo-Shin.

Not only did I love the characters, but I loved the actors playing them. This is a very talented cast, with special props going to Seo Kang Joon. He played two very different characters flawlessly. You could always tell which Shin was which, even when they were pretending to be each other. I really didn’t expect him to do so well. I also really liked Yoo Oh Sung as the main villain. He’s got the perfect face and voice for villainy and I love seeing him. He excelled as Seo Jong Gil, for sure. I wasn’t as impressed with Gong Seung Yeon, but her character was a bit flat anyway, so I’ll blame the writing, not her. The rest of the cast was very good, too. I loved how everyone had chemistry with everyone else.

The music is nothing to call home about. Not bad, but certainly not all that impressive. Some songs are pretty, but I think in general the OST is flat. I wish it had leaned a bit further into a more science-fiction-y sound.

I will not rewatch this show. I feel like once one knows the twists, the show is not enjoyable anymore. I think it would feel too same-y on a second watch-through.

I do recommend this drama, for sure. This is one of only a few dramas that I have watched while it was airing, and I was always so excited for new episodes to be subbed. Flaws aside, it’s very enjoyable and I hope that more KDramas experiment with sci-fi.

HIStory: Obsessed
Jun 27, 2019
Listen... out of all the iterations of the HIStory franchise, this one is by far the worst. It apes stereotypes, not a single character learns their lesson, and it depicts a terribly dysfunctional, toxic relationship as being cute and acceptable. I know it's called "Obsessed". I also know that the show doesn't address any of the unhealthy connotations of a relationship themed around that idea.

This show depicts several actual sexual assault, yet the attacker, Jiang Jin Teng, faces no consequences. There is a genuinely gross amount of unwanted touching and kissing, as evidenced by how Yi Chen reacts like he's shitting actual bricks every time it happens. He also very clearly states that he doesn't want to be in a relationship with Jin Teng because he knows he's a liar and generally terrible person. Jin Teng lies consistently, is violent, possessive, and weaponizes guilt because he feels entitled to a relationship with Yi Chen, even though that's not how literally anything works.

I would have been far more okay with this series if BOTH parties involved were obsessive, like the title of the show suggests. Instead, there is a clear and really nasty power imbalance that ruins the entire show. Forget the plot holes and general poor writing. This show is offensive.

The acting is actually really good. The music is fine. The production quality is pretty low overall, but it's clear that everyone involved did the best they could with what they had. Still, that doesn't change the fact that there are some really icky displays of sexual violence and unwanted advances that I find completely unacceptable. I absolutely will not rewatch this, I must ask that you avoid it, too.

Goblin
Feb 6, 2017
tl;dr: This drama is literally perfect. Watch it. It's what all the cool kids are doing.

I don't like to give dramas a 10 in every category, because there's (almost) always something a show can improve on. Goblin, though, gets a 10 for everything because it did literally everything perfectly. I finished it just the other day, and thinking back, there are no issues I have with it. It has officially stolen the top spot on my list of favorite dramas. It's so amazing, and I love it to pieces. Seriously, just... watch it. You won't regret it even a little.

No drama has ever made me both laugh and cry as consistently as this one. The story of this show is so creative. The characters are so real, despite the show having such an fantastical plot. Everything about the show is beautiful, with brilliant colors and the best special effects I've ever seen in a drama.

All the actors did an amazing job. I usually don't like the female actresses in dramas, because they so often don't express much emotion. Kim Go Eun brought her all, though. I really didn't like the character to begin with, but Ji Eun Tak grew so much over the course of the show, and Go Eun portrayed the change excellently. Another surprising thing was how kind, and caring, and real Kim Shin (the Goblin) was. He was such a sweet person, despite his struggles with having lived so long. Gong Yoo darn near killed me with his portrayal of the Goblin. Everything felt so genuine. Gong Yoo lives his roles, rather than just play them, and this has shown throughout all of his works. Lee Dong Wook made a grim reaper seem cute. There is no one who could have played the role of the Grim Reaper better. Dong Wook did so well as the awkward, emotional grim Reaper.

The music was perfect for this show. It's so enchanting and relaxing.

I would definitely be willing to watch this show again.

I recommend this show, for sure. Please, watch it. It's so perfect. I'll never forget it.

HIStory3: Trapped
Jun 27, 2019
I love this series. It is by far my favorite in the HIStory franchise. It ticks all the boxes for me.

I really appreciate that, not only is there a story here (as in, this isn't just a vehicle for the couples), but it's a decently well-written story. There are little hiccups here and there, but the story is largely cohesive. The relationships seem natural, the character interactions are interesting, and the pacing is honestly pretty good. The twists really weren't all that surprising, but it was okay.

These actors have CHEMISTRY. Props to the casting director, as they made some very good choices for this series.

I also appreciate that the actors are rather skilled. Chris Wu was quite impressive as the dark but multifaceted Tang Yi. Jake Hsu as Meng Shao Fei was very cheesy to begin with, but you sort of adapt to it after a while. I think that's just his style. He's just a bit too much, but it becomes charming very quickly. Shao Fei's relationship with Tang Yi progresses very naturally, and their interactions are a lot of fun to watch. The secondary couples are solid, too. My compliments to the chef.

There are little shout-outs to HIStory 2: Right or Wrong, and that is just delightful.

The music is actually decent.

The actions scenes are terrible. All of them. Every last one.

I really loved this series. It's cute, it's emotional, and it is so charming. Please watch it. I really don't think you will regret it.

Missing Noir M
Jul 14, 2017
This review is sort of hard to write. There were many redeeming qualities that made me love it, but so many things that made it less than satisfactory.

My biggest issues lies with the plot. The first two cases (which span the first four episodes) are outlandish, ridiculous, and hard to follow, especially the first one. The first case (the first two episodes) has a tone that is completely different than the tone of the rest of the show. There were only two and a half cases (five episodes) that I really enjoyed. Those cases that were good were VERY good. They were incredibly well written, emotional, and well-acted. Those weren't so good were super disappointing. The cases called HOME was especially great. They also tried to give Soo Hyun a backstory, but with only ten episodes, they really didn't have a chance to expand upon it and the ending is unsatisfying because of it. The final twist it good, but still, it's left unresolved. Thankfully the episodes that were bad were not unwatchable thanks to the fantastic acting in this show.

The main three leads, Kim Kang Woo, Park Hee Soon, and Jo Bo Ah are a really talented bunch, especially Kim Kang Woo. He was able to get across so much emotion with a character that could have used some more fleshing out. I wanted so badly to learn more about Soo Hyun, but this show disappoints on that front. I loved his performance and loved the character because of him. Park Hee Soon surprised me. I'd never seen him before, and his emotional performance really impressed me. I expected Jo Bo Ah to fall flat, but she definitely shined, especially in the HOME case.

I really enjoyed the music. It suited the tone of the show and the songs themselves were enjoyable and could easily stand alone outside of a KDrama.

If I were to rewatch this, I would only rewatch a few episodes. The first four were not interesting to me, and since the whole show doesn't have one continuous plot, I could cherry-pick those I wanted to see and those I didn't.

The parts of the show that were good were better than I ever could have expected, and they are the sole reason I'm giving the show the rating I am. This cast was incredible and some of the cases were fantastic. Sadly, the acting could not save those cases that were duds.

I would recommend this, solely for the good cases and great performances. Maybe someone else could see the good in the cases I didn't like so much.

Incomplete Life
Dec 28, 2016
This review is really tough for me. It took a very long time to finish watching this drama, because around episode 11, the magic was gone, and I quit at episode 13. I picked it back up about a month after I'd quit, and while it was okay, it didn't have the same feeling the beginning of the show had. It's a wonderful show, with a fantastic meaning and probably one of my favorite main characters to date, and yet I can't give it a 10. Still, if you don't plan to read the rest of this review, know that I do think that you should watch "Misaeng".

I loved the story of this show so much. It's so easy to connect with it, and yet so difficult. The writing at the beginning and in the last few episodes is so perfect, and yet episodes 11 through 18 is so slow, I had to quit watching for a while. This show is so heavy with business terms, I had a hard time understanding large parts. Everyone would get really upset over something, and yet I had no idea what was going on, and couldn't join in on the angst. Episodes 11-18 are so slow because of how business-heavy it all is. I feel like I should have kept Geu Rae's business dictionary with me while I watched.

Every single character is so perfect. I especially connected with Jang Baek Ki, who went in to work feeling prepared, only for his boss to show him that he didn't know everything, and that even though he's smart, he has to follow the rules just like everyone else. I wanted to keep Geu Rae safe in my pocket; he's small and soft and should be protected at all costs. Suk Yool was annoying, but he matures through his struggle with his boss, and he grows on you. Ahn Young Yi battles sexism with her own bare fists without help from anyone else, and succeeds. Mr. Oh is such a charming character, with his perpetually messed up hair, and his thinly veiled care for the kids at One International.

I also have to mention that Geu Rae's transformation throughout the show is so amazing, and so impressive on the writer's part. He starts out gullible and shy, but he grows much more confident, and proves himself as a hard worker. His good nature never leaves him though, as he's always caring, and puts the people around him before his own well being. The last episode really shows what type of person he grows into, and I was so impressed by him, and proud of him, and he's not even a real person. I have to give serious props to Im Siwan, who really made this character into something special. No one else could have played Jang Geu Rae the same way.

This cast is so talented, I don't even know what to do with myself now that they aren't together. They had such fantastic chemistry with each other. Every expression, every word, felt real. This is one of the few shows where I didn't say things to myself like, "That must have been difficult to shoot." It all seemed like it was happening in front of me, not like a scripted show. This is partially because of the (mostly) brilliant writing, but the actors had a much larger part in the realism, I think.

The music is so perfect. It's not your typical OST. It doesn't come in at awkward times, it doesn't ruin the mood. It sets the mood. It's subtle, and not overused. When it is used though, it adds another layer of emotion to the scene on screen. There are often times where there's no music at all, and that's why the music in this show is so fantastic; whoever handled the sound in this show clearly understood that sometimes silence shows emotion the best. At the same time, there are scenes with lots of quirky music, which pumps you up or accents how silly or sad a scene is. It really was impressive.

I'm glad I watched this show. It got so slow, but it picked up and ended with one of my favorite final episodes ever. I would rewatch it, because honestly, I feel like I missed something in those slow episodes, like I wasn't paying enough attention. This show really is wonderful, but I don't know if my distaste for those middle episodes is my fault or the writer's fault.

Overall, I loved this show to bits. I regret not liking the middle episodes, because I know there was world-building and plot-progression in there somewhere, but I just didn't understand it. I definitely recommend this show, because even if you think the middle episodes are slow, I think you'll agree that the brilliant writing and acting that surrounds them is definitely worth the struggle.

Kill Me, Heal Me
Jul 27, 2016
What a great show! I was hugely disappointed after watching "Hyde, Jekyll, Me" a few months ago, so I was a little wary of watching this, which also uses the DID motif. Boy, was I wrong to be worried about this show. It's of such high quality and an absolute blast to watch.

A little ridiculous, yes, and the show's portrayal of DID is a little off, but for the purpose of the TV show's plot, it was just fine. Do Hyun and Ri Jin's past is intriguing and filled with interesting twists as they slowly begin to recall their memories of the past. All of the personalities have interesting origins, and how they fit into Do Hyun's past is very interesting and fun to put together. It's never overly convoluted, and I was always excited to see what would happen next. It's creative and an absolute joy to watch unfold. The story can be very deep and emotional one moment, but hilarious the next (like when Se Gi makes a wheel for Ri Jin to spin to see which personality she should save). I do have to say, the last two episodes, while action packed and very interesting, leave a little bit to be desired in terms of Do Hyun's final treatment.

Acting/Cast:

This show's casting was downright amazing. I'm actually glad that other actors turned down the role of Do Hyun, because Ji Sung ended up playing the character's 7 personalities brilliantly. He gave a no holds barred performance, making Se Gi dangerous yet appealing, Do Hyun charming and kind, and Yo Na just a little bit terrifying, not to mention the other four, Perry, Na Na, Yo Seob, and Mr. X. Also, I don't think I've fallen for a character as hard as I did Do Hyun. Hwang Jung Eum is an actress whose work I will definitely seek out now that I've seen her in "KMHM". She gave a very strong performance and added her own flare to an already quality character. Park Seo Joon is another actor I'd never seen before, so I'm glad this was my introduction to him. His portrayal of a brother with conflicting feelings about his sister's past and what sort of love he holds for her was great. The two of them seemed like real siblings.

The main theme, "Hallucination", is wonderful, and though it was used a lot, it never became boring. Park Seo Joon and Ji Sung's songs were very emotional, and they meant so much more when something important was happening on screen, and you hear the voice of one of the characters singing about their pain and fear. The music always fits the mood. It was very enjoyable, and I actually downloaded the OST because I liked it so much.

Rewatch Value:

After seeing it once and knowing the whole story, I would love to see it again just so I can further delve into each personality and to see exactly why they are who they are. Ri On is also a really interesting character, and his feelings towards his sister, Ri Jin, are much more complicated than they seem at first, and the things that he felt for her when they were teenagers, and then as they grew up into adults are very deep, and they definitely deserve another look through, just so you can better understand his unique love for her.

This show blew me away. I had very few gripes with it and it was a ton of fun to watch. More than anything else, watch it for Ji Sung's amazing performance as Do Hyun and the other personalities. He's captivating, and brings so much life into each personality, and so easily fools the viewer into thinking that they are actual, separate people, and not just facets of one person. Watch it for Do Hyun and Ri Jin's beautiful relationship, which isn't fueled by abuse, or anger, or misunderstandings like so many other K-drama relationships are. Watch it for Ri On and Ri Jin's special relationship, which is so wholesome and heartwarming. Just... watch this show.

Vampire Detective
Jul 18, 2016
OCN has done it again, producing yet another awesome, dark, and serious KDrama. I love vampires, and I love the shows that OCN puts out, and with such a fantastic cast and amazing characters, "Vampire Detective" was a great addition to the pile of shows I’ve watched.

I have to say, the story isn’t bad. The problem is, the real conflict doesn’t come until the end. In the last few episodes, the main plot is finally revealed, whereas the previous nine episodes were mostly unimportant sub-plots that didn’t add anything to the main plot. These side-stories often felt like filler content between important scenes. It isn’t bad, but this isn’t the show to watch when you want mind-blowing depth. Treat it like you would "Law & Order". Most of the episodes are self-contained adventures to enjoy one at a time. One complaint I do have though is how they treated vampirism. I’m not entirely sure what sort of vampire San is supposed to be, and among the other vampires, certain traits and abilities are inconsistent and never fully explained. Still, this can be looked over.

My, what a lovely cast you have. Lee Joon was absolutely fantastic as Yoon San. He was believable and brought a lot of depth to a rather underdeveloped character. He’s a joy to watch on screen. Oh Jung Se is an actor I’ve seen in only one other show ("The Lover"), and I was glad I got to see him in action once again. Part comic relief, part supportive friend, Yong Goo Hyung was a great character and Oh Jung Se really brought him to life. Lee Se Young is an actress I’ve never come across before, but she was great as Han Gyeo Wool. I don’t think anyone could have played such a strong and cool character as well as she did. Our main villain, Yo Na, played by Lee Chung Ah, was an awesome antagonist, pulled off by an impressive actress. This show probably has some of my favorite female characters. None of them are the whiny pushovers you see in other shows.

I couldn’t find an OST anywhere, and so working off memory, I can say that the music did its job.

Like the comparison I made to "Law & Order" earlier, most people, even if they’ve already seen an episode, would watch it again if it happened to come on. I think "Vampire Detective" is the same way. In fact, it might just be a little more enjoyable the second time through, armed with the knowledge you’ll earn from the last few episodes.

"Vampire Detective" was enjoyable, but one has to go in with the knowledge that it won’t be too deep. You won’t be bawling your eyes out. You won’t be swooning at the romance (you might swoon at Lee Joon, though). Still, the characters are interesting and you’ll come to like the main three characters, as they make a great team, and are a rather uncommon set of KDrama characters (the “No BS” female lead, a NICE male lead that RESPECTS women, and a comic relief second male lead that isn’t completely useless). If you like action and mystery, but don’t want to get too wound up in the plot, "Vampire Detective" is perfect for you.

The K2
May 21, 2017
Going into this drama, I saw a lot of negative stuff about it. I don't think it was nearly as bad as a lot of people were saying. I actually quite enjoyed it. It was along the same vein as Healer, just not as polished.

The story, like many other drama stories, slowed down quite a bit toward the middle, though the beginning and ending were exciting and tons of fun to watch. At it's core, the story is pretty simple: revenge. But, as the show goes on, more and more secrets are revealed leading to a rather interesting plot. Most of the characters were solid and well integrated. The show makes up for its simplicity with how flashy it is. Nothing much really happens, but everything moves so quickly and looks so good that you don't really notice as you watch. When It drags, it doesn't drag too much, and when it's good, the show flies by. It's not a difficult plot to wrap your head around. Don't think too much when you watch it. Just enjoy it for what it is.

The romance is awkward. Jae Ha and Anna were okay, but the chemistry between the actors was lacking. Jae Ha and Yoo Jin had so much more going for them, and I honestly wish that the writers pursued Yoo Jin's feelings for Jae Ha a little more. It would have spiced things up a lot.

This cast was a really solid one. Ji Chang Wook impressed, as always. He didn't really have much to work with, and made Jae Ha into the best character he could, and that was pretty cool. The writers didn't try to make Jae Ha a good guy: his morals were ambiguous, and the only thing he cared about was his girl and his friends. Anna is not my favorite character ever. She was flat, and Im Yoon Ah's average acting didn't help. She did the best she could. Song Yoon Ah stole the entire show. She made evil look easy. Choi Yoo Jin was calculating and uncaring on the outside, but a soft young woman on the inside. It was really awesome what Song did with the character. If you are unsure of whether or not to watch this, watch it for Choi Yoo Jin. She was amazing. I also have a special mention for Shin Dong Mi, the woman who played Chief Kim. I loved this character so much, and this actress played her so well. I really love how Chief Kim impacts the very end. She was my second favorite character, just under Choi Yoo Jin.

There were some pretty songs in the OST, but even this show fell into the trap that all KDramas seem to: really loud ballads. There was a chanting piece that seemed really out of place in some spots. Sometimes the music would kick in at awkward times. It wasn't perfect, just average.

I won't rewatch this, probably.

I do recommend it. This show has some of the best villains. I was really impressed with all of them. Watch for them.

Dramaworld
Feb 14, 2017
This show had some potential, but fell very, very flat.

The show had an interesting concept, with a kdrama fan falling into her favorite show. The writers didn't take this idea anywhere, though, with absolutely nothing interesting happening at all. I didn't care about the characters or the plot in any capacity. I'm almost afraid to complain about the show because it feels like I'm critiquing a five year old's drawing. This show's only redeeming quality was a few jokes which played on kdrama cliches, and the odd cameo. Sadly, this was really all the drama had to offer. The writers wrote the most amateurish script I've ever seen, and the stilted acting didn't make anything better.

I wish it was better.

I definitely do not recommend watching this.

Life
Aug 15, 2019
I'm amazed that so few people talk about this series when discussing high quality KDramas. This show is easily one of my favorite dramas ever, not to mention being one of the best. I'm so glad I decided to watch it.

The story is very, very good, though not perfect. It's very slow-paced, so if that's not your bag, dip out now. There's a lot of talking, a decent amount of blood, and some very, very good character development. I'm finding that this screenwriter really excels when it comes to creating characters that grow and change in interesting ways. The characters in this series manage to be both dynamic and very tonally consistent. I loved watching them all change in their own ways. The events at the hospital affected no two people the same way, and the writer made that very clear. I loved the characters so much.

The acting was spot on. Much of this cast returns from Stranger, which was really nice. Everyone who returns from Stranger plays an entirely different character, which is also nice to see. I'd hate to find that these performers ended up being typecast. There are also some new additions, namely Lee Dong Wook, who suits Ye Jin Woo so well. Jin Woo is both moody and a complete doofus, and he nailed it. I loved the character and how he chose to portray him. He brought a lot of charm to a character that could have easily ended up being like the main character in Blood.

There were actually a decent number of times where I was actively aware of the music, rather than it just filling up the background. The sound design was darn good, though not the best I've ever heard. There were many pieces I liked, though I wished the audio engineer had worked a bit more with the balance between silence and soundtrack. I think just a bit more quiet would have helped add to the anxiety.

This series is SLOW, so I'm not super likely to rewatch, but I wouldn't be offended if I had to.

The ending is very ambiguous. The writer didn't feel the need to beat viewers over the head with lots of conclusions right at the end. There are a lot of unanswered questions, but I think it suits the tone of the series overall. I liked that the ending was peaceful, but also very vague. It was gorgeous.

Kudos to whoever lit this series. There were a lot of really good choices when it came to setting tone with both brightness and the colors of the light used. Not many shows play around with lighting much, so I appreciate when I do see it.

Watch this show. I definitely recommend it.

Kingdom
Jul 14, 2019
Listen: this show is exceptionally average. I tapped the 10-second-forward button on Netflix through the whole second half (and the show is only 6 episodes long!)

The first two episodes were actually really solid, since they take place when people are still scared and unsure of what's happening. Once folks become comfortable with defeating the zombies, though, all of the magic and emotion fizzles. The Crown Prince was initially interesting because he WASN'T infallible, but once he's got his footing, he's just another righteous good boy prince. It's boring. The most interesting and likeable character is his bodyguard, if I'm being honest. The ACTING is actually really good from the main cast, but the characters themselves are very plain. The zombie acting is... okay? I've seen it done better.

I think my biggest issue with this show is that it doesn't do anything different. I mean, it's a really cool concept, at least, on PAPER it is. Historical Korean political drama mixed with zombies? Yes, please! The execution isn't very good, though. I actually watched episode 3 with my father and he pointed out how the entire first half of the episode is one continuous action scene. It's bland. Even the political shenanigans don't add much. The queen's pregnancy isn't interesting, the puppet monarchy isn't interesting, the inter-clan fighting isn't interesting, nothing is interesting.

I don't remember the music, that's how unique it was.

This show is downright gorgeous... when the lights are bright enough for you to actually see anything. The makeup, though, didn't look that great to me. I've seen worse large-cast zombie makeup, but that doesn't mean I can't comment on this instance not being very good.

I am not excited for a second season, and even though this season ends on a sort of interesting cliffhanger, I can't guarantee that I will actually WATCH that second season when it comes out. I think it will depend on my mood.

I do not recommend this. It's boring. It's just another zombie story, except, instead of being the length of a movie, it's SIX HOURS long. Watch anything else.