• Join Date: July 17, 2016
Circle
Jun 28, 2017
This show was amazing. It's my new favorite KDrama. I never realized a KDrama could be this good. It truly is something special.

The story certainly isn't perfect. There are some odd leaps in logic and some twists that are a bit too wild, but the vast majority of the story is well crafted and incredibly well written. I am stunned that the writer was actually able to pull off two connected stories going simultaneously without anything too weird happening. I have no words for how impressed I am. There are some plot holes left at the end, but they're small. I feel like any loose ends are actually hinting at a second season, but if there isn't one, it ended nicely enough that it's okay.

The acting in this show was fantastic. Every actor hit every mark. It was perfect. Yeo Jin Goo has skills beyond his years. Kim Kang Woo had to play a character with many sides, and he did so with such talent and finesse. Gong Seung Yeon is more than just a pretty face. She knows what she's doing. I underestimated Lee Ki Kwang. This show marks one of the few times where an idol totally blew my mind. I expected him to be the worst in the cast, but he was on par with rest of them. He was great. The extended cast and younger versions of characters were fantastic, too. This is an unbelievably solid cast.

The music suited the show, and there was more than one song that I really liked. Uji's OST was especially good.

I would definitely rewatch this, now that I know everything that's going on. I feel like seeing it again would allow me to catch hints that I missed before.

I really loved this drama. It's not perfect, but it's so close, that I can't help but give it a 10. I definitely recommend it.

Healer
Dec 12, 2016
This show is one of the best Kdramas I've ever seen. I went in with high expectations because of what other viewers have said, and came out very satisfied. This show is skillfully acted, well written, and really shows what a Kdrama can and should be.

I'm going to have to watch other things this writer has done, because I've only seen this level of polish in a drama a few other times. The story flowed so well, and every twist felt like a part of the plot, rather than another bit of conflict to push the characters along. Nothing felt thrown together, and I was so interested in the complexities of the plot, that I actually made a character web as I went, because I didn't want to miss a single detail. Many times, dramas like these are written in such a way that the plot isn't more important than the action, but in the case of this show, they are equally important, with them being balanced and helping along each other.

I also have to talk about Seo Jung Hoo as a character, and how the way he was written is so important to the show. Yes, he's quite OP, taking down hordes of bad guys almost every episode, but at the same time, he isn't a super-soldier. He takes hits, he gets poisoned, he gets taken off guard. He's not perfect, and that makes the character seem much more human. Combine that with a masterful performance by Ji Chang Wook, and you have a perfect character.

Very few times have I seen a cast that works together this well. Not only was there powerful romantic chemistry between Ji Chang Wook and Park Min Young, but there was also a sense of family between everyone at Someday News, and definitely between the three main leads. The three main leads all blew my mind, never breaking my immersion in the story. They don't come across as actors; they come across as characters.

The music was great. Very rarely did it come in at awkward times (like OSTs so often do), and all the music was just different enough that it didn't become monotonous or annoying. It helped set the mood instead of ruining it.

I would definitely rewatch this. I think it deserves it.

I very much recommend this drama. It's really in a league of its own.

Defendant
Listen, I know a lot of people really, really loved this drama, but while it struck a chord with others, it just didn't appeal to me quite as much. It's definitely not terrible, but it's not the best thing ever, either.

I'm on good terms with the story, but I struggled a lot with the pacing. I came for a murder mystery and maybe a cool prison-break, but I had to wait until more than halfway thorough the show to get either one. Everything leading up to what I wanted was relatively uninteresting and very repetitive. The redeeming qualities of these parts was the main villain and the rapport that the inmates had with each other. Those parts were genuinely fun to watch, but the barrels of red herrings constantly thrown at me wasn't creative. They were boring and I just wanted the show to move on.

I like most of the cast. Ji Sung is solid, as usual (if a little scream-y, but that's a matter of personal taste). This is the first time I've ever seen Uhm Ki Joon, and I was very impressed. He has a nice voice and seems to be very skilled. I will definitely pursue his other works. Yuri was serviceable. The other inmates were a blast to watch. They seemed to genuinely get along with one another, and it was very refreshing. Oh Chang Seok as Kang Joon Hyuk was about as emotional as a piece of plywood for most of the show, but he seemed to be trying to be more varied toward the end, which was definitely an improvement. The supporting cast was generally good, with a couple wooden people but mostly good people.

I have literally never heard such aggressive fiddling in a KDrama soundtrack. The fiddle was so intense that I actually laughed out loud at how out of place it was.

I will not rewatch this.

It wasn't exactly a standout for me, but if you enjoy law dramas, you'll probably enjoy this drama.

Goblin
Feb 6, 2017
tl;dr: This drama is literally perfect. Watch it. It's what all the cool kids are doing.

I don't like to give dramas a 10 in every category, because there's (almost) always something a show can improve on. Goblin, though, gets a 10 for everything because it did literally everything perfectly. I finished it just the other day, and thinking back, there are no issues I have with it. It has officially stolen the top spot on my list of favorite dramas. It's so amazing, and I love it to pieces. Seriously, just... watch it. You won't regret it even a little.

No drama has ever made me both laugh and cry as consistently as this one. The story of this show is so creative. The characters are so real, despite the show having such an fantastical plot. Everything about the show is beautiful, with brilliant colors and the best special effects I've ever seen in a drama.

All the actors did an amazing job. I usually don't like the female actresses in dramas, because they so often don't express much emotion. Kim Go Eun brought her all, though. I really didn't like the character to begin with, but Ji Eun Tak grew so much over the course of the show, and Go Eun portrayed the change excellently. Another surprising thing was how kind, and caring, and real Kim Shin (the Goblin) was. He was such a sweet person, despite his struggles with having lived so long. Gong Yoo darn near killed me with his portrayal of the Goblin. Everything felt so genuine. Gong Yoo lives his roles, rather than just play them, and this has shown throughout all of his works. Lee Dong Wook made a grim reaper seem cute. There is no one who could have played the role of the Grim Reaper better. Dong Wook did so well as the awkward, emotional grim Reaper.

The music was perfect for this show. It's so enchanting and relaxing.

I would definitely be willing to watch this show again.

I recommend this show, for sure. Please, watch it. It's so perfect. I'll never forget it.

Missing Noir M
Jul 14, 2017
This review is sort of hard to write. There were many redeeming qualities that made me love it, but so many things that made it less than satisfactory.

My biggest issues lies with the plot. The first two cases (which span the first four episodes) are outlandish, ridiculous, and hard to follow, especially the first one. The first case (the first two episodes) has a tone that is completely different than the tone of the rest of the show. There were only two and a half cases (five episodes) that I really enjoyed. Those cases that were good were VERY good. They were incredibly well written, emotional, and well-acted. Those weren't so good were super disappointing. The cases called HOME was especially great. They also tried to give Soo Hyun a backstory, but with only ten episodes, they really didn't have a chance to expand upon it and the ending is unsatisfying because of it. The final twist it good, but still, it's left unresolved. Thankfully the episodes that were bad were not unwatchable thanks to the fantastic acting in this show.

The main three leads, Kim Kang Woo, Park Hee Soon, and Jo Bo Ah are a really talented bunch, especially Kim Kang Woo. He was able to get across so much emotion with a character that could have used some more fleshing out. I wanted so badly to learn more about Soo Hyun, but this show disappoints on that front. I loved his performance and loved the character because of him. Park Hee Soon surprised me. I'd never seen him before, and his emotional performance really impressed me. I expected Jo Bo Ah to fall flat, but she definitely shined, especially in the HOME case.

I really enjoyed the music. It suited the tone of the show and the songs themselves were enjoyable and could easily stand alone outside of a KDrama.

If I were to rewatch this, I would only rewatch a few episodes. The first four were not interesting to me, and since the whole show doesn't have one continuous plot, I could cherry-pick those I wanted to see and those I didn't.

The parts of the show that were good were better than I ever could have expected, and they are the sole reason I'm giving the show the rating I am. This cast was incredible and some of the cases were fantastic. Sadly, the acting could not save those cases that were duds.

I would recommend this, solely for the good cases and great performances. Maybe someone else could see the good in the cases I didn't like so much.

Kill Me, Heal Me
Jul 27, 2016
What a great show! I was hugely disappointed after watching "Hyde, Jekyll, Me" a few months ago, so I was a little wary of watching this, which also uses the DID motif. Boy, was I wrong to be worried about this show. It's of such high quality and an absolute blast to watch.

A little ridiculous, yes, and the show's portrayal of DID is a little off, but for the purpose of the TV show's plot, it was just fine. Do Hyun and Ri Jin's past is intriguing and filled with interesting twists as they slowly begin to recall their memories of the past. All of the personalities have interesting origins, and how they fit into Do Hyun's past is very interesting and fun to put together. It's never overly convoluted, and I was always excited to see what would happen next. It's creative and an absolute joy to watch unfold. The story can be very deep and emotional one moment, but hilarious the next (like when Se Gi makes a wheel for Ri Jin to spin to see which personality she should save). I do have to say, the last two episodes, while action packed and very interesting, leave a little bit to be desired in terms of Do Hyun's final treatment.

Acting/Cast:

This show's casting was downright amazing. I'm actually glad that other actors turned down the role of Do Hyun, because Ji Sung ended up playing the character's 7 personalities brilliantly. He gave a no holds barred performance, making Se Gi dangerous yet appealing, Do Hyun charming and kind, and Yo Na just a little bit terrifying, not to mention the other four, Perry, Na Na, Yo Seob, and Mr. X. Also, I don't think I've fallen for a character as hard as I did Do Hyun. Hwang Jung Eum is an actress whose work I will definitely seek out now that I've seen her in "KMHM". She gave a very strong performance and added her own flare to an already quality character. Park Seo Joon is another actor I'd never seen before, so I'm glad this was my introduction to him. His portrayal of a brother with conflicting feelings about his sister's past and what sort of love he holds for her was great. The two of them seemed like real siblings.

The main theme, "Hallucination", is wonderful, and though it was used a lot, it never became boring. Park Seo Joon and Ji Sung's songs were very emotional, and they meant so much more when something important was happening on screen, and you hear the voice of one of the characters singing about their pain and fear. The music always fits the mood. It was very enjoyable, and I actually downloaded the OST because I liked it so much.

Rewatch Value:

After seeing it once and knowing the whole story, I would love to see it again just so I can further delve into each personality and to see exactly why they are who they are. Ri On is also a really interesting character, and his feelings towards his sister, Ri Jin, are much more complicated than they seem at first, and the things that he felt for her when they were teenagers, and then as they grew up into adults are very deep, and they definitely deserve another look through, just so you can better understand his unique love for her.

This show blew me away. I had very few gripes with it and it was a ton of fun to watch. More than anything else, watch it for Ji Sung's amazing performance as Do Hyun and the other personalities. He's captivating, and brings so much life into each personality, and so easily fools the viewer into thinking that they are actual, separate people, and not just facets of one person. Watch it for Do Hyun and Ri Jin's beautiful relationship, which isn't fueled by abuse, or anger, or misunderstandings like so many other K-drama relationships are. Watch it for Ri On and Ri Jin's special relationship, which is so wholesome and heartwarming. Just... watch this show.

Vampire Detective
Jul 18, 2016
OCN has done it again, producing yet another awesome, dark, and serious KDrama. I love vampires, and I love the shows that OCN puts out, and with such a fantastic cast and amazing characters, "Vampire Detective" was a great addition to the pile of shows I’ve watched.

I have to say, the story isn’t bad. The problem is, the real conflict doesn’t come until the end. In the last few episodes, the main plot is finally revealed, whereas the previous nine episodes were mostly unimportant sub-plots that didn’t add anything to the main plot. These side-stories often felt like filler content between important scenes. It isn’t bad, but this isn’t the show to watch when you want mind-blowing depth. Treat it like you would "Law & Order". Most of the episodes are self-contained adventures to enjoy one at a time. One complaint I do have though is how they treated vampirism. I’m not entirely sure what sort of vampire San is supposed to be, and among the other vampires, certain traits and abilities are inconsistent and never fully explained. Still, this can be looked over.

My, what a lovely cast you have. Lee Joon was absolutely fantastic as Yoon San. He was believable and brought a lot of depth to a rather underdeveloped character. He’s a joy to watch on screen. Oh Jung Se is an actor I’ve seen in only one other show ("The Lover"), and I was glad I got to see him in action once again. Part comic relief, part supportive friend, Yong Goo Hyung was a great character and Oh Jung Se really brought him to life. Lee Se Young is an actress I’ve never come across before, but she was great as Han Gyeo Wool. I don’t think anyone could have played such a strong and cool character as well as she did. Our main villain, Yo Na, played by Lee Chung Ah, was an awesome antagonist, pulled off by an impressive actress. This show probably has some of my favorite female characters. None of them are the whiny pushovers you see in other shows.

I couldn’t find an OST anywhere, and so working off memory, I can say that the music did its job.

Like the comparison I made to "Law & Order" earlier, most people, even if they’ve already seen an episode, would watch it again if it happened to come on. I think "Vampire Detective" is the same way. In fact, it might just be a little more enjoyable the second time through, armed with the knowledge you’ll earn from the last few episodes.

"Vampire Detective" was enjoyable, but one has to go in with the knowledge that it won’t be too deep. You won’t be bawling your eyes out. You won’t be swooning at the romance (you might swoon at Lee Joon, though). Still, the characters are interesting and you’ll come to like the main three characters, as they make a great team, and are a rather uncommon set of KDrama characters (the “No BS” female lead, a NICE male lead that RESPECTS women, and a comic relief second male lead that isn’t completely useless). If you like action and mystery, but don’t want to get too wound up in the plot, "Vampire Detective" is perfect for you.

The K2
May 21, 2017
Going into this drama, I saw a lot of negative stuff about it. I don't think it was nearly as bad as a lot of people were saying. I actually quite enjoyed it. It was along the same vein as Healer, just not as polished.

The story, like many other drama stories, slowed down quite a bit toward the middle, though the beginning and ending were exciting and tons of fun to watch. At it's core, the story is pretty simple: revenge. But, as the show goes on, more and more secrets are revealed leading to a rather interesting plot. Most of the characters were solid and well integrated. The show makes up for its simplicity with how flashy it is. Nothing much really happens, but everything moves so quickly and looks so good that you don't really notice as you watch. When It drags, it doesn't drag too much, and when it's good, the show flies by. It's not a difficult plot to wrap your head around. Don't think too much when you watch it. Just enjoy it for what it is.

The romance is awkward. Jae Ha and Anna were okay, but the chemistry between the actors was lacking. Jae Ha and Yoo Jin had so much more going for them, and I honestly wish that the writers pursued Yoo Jin's feelings for Jae Ha a little more. It would have spiced things up a lot.

This cast was a really solid one. Ji Chang Wook impressed, as always. He didn't really have much to work with, and made Jae Ha into the best character he could, and that was pretty cool. The writers didn't try to make Jae Ha a good guy: his morals were ambiguous, and the only thing he cared about was his girl and his friends. Anna is not my favorite character ever. She was flat, and Im Yoon Ah's average acting didn't help. She did the best she could. Song Yoon Ah stole the entire show. She made evil look easy. Choi Yoo Jin was calculating and uncaring on the outside, but a soft young woman on the inside. It was really awesome what Song did with the character. If you are unsure of whether or not to watch this, watch it for Choi Yoo Jin. She was amazing. I also have a special mention for Shin Dong Mi, the woman who played Chief Kim. I loved this character so much, and this actress played her so well. I really love how Chief Kim impacts the very end. She was my second favorite character, just under Choi Yoo Jin.

There were some pretty songs in the OST, but even this show fell into the trap that all KDramas seem to: really loud ballads. There was a chanting piece that seemed really out of place in some spots. Sometimes the music would kick in at awkward times. It wasn't perfect, just average.

I won't rewatch this, probably.

I do recommend it. This show has some of the best villains. I was really impressed with all of them. Watch for them.

Save Me
Feb 12, 2018
I haven't written a review for a KDrama in a long time due to being really busy.  This show is worth it, though. This show single-handedly dragged me out of my drama slump and that's really special. This show, like other OCN series, is fantastic, and most definitely worth a watch. Trust me.

I really love the story. It's not often that I see a story as controversial as this one told with this level of taste. This story features a crazy cult, murder, and the threat of sexual abuse in multiple spots, yet it's not overly gory or sexual. That's pretty nifty.  This show wields fear skillfully, being genuinely scary and causing discomfort frequently and well. The show surprised me and even made me gasp on multiple occasions. Being as jaded as I am, shows don't really surprise me anymore, so actually gasping at a show is pretty special. I like that. The characters are, for the most part, very well fleshed out and have realistic motives. They behave like real people. They make mistakes, they're selfish, they're emotional, they have regrets. Characters are given fully formed personalities, and that makes for an interesting watch. I was so happy to see logical, well-thought-out character motivations. It was unbelievably refreshing.

There are still faults in the story, though. I feel that the indoctrination of one character in particular was way too fast, so fast that it seemed illogical and strange. The characterization of the detective seemed oddly inconsistent, which is disappointing. The subplot with the detective and the gangster seemed too disconnected from the main story for most of the show, which was annoying. A couple episodes are too disjointed for my taste. The preaching scenes showed up too frequently, going from impressive and scary to boring. Still, the good outweighs the bad.

I adore this cast. Taecyeon has improved immensely since Let's Fight Ghost, which is such a relief. A lot of KDrama viewers hate having idols as leads, but I honestly think he did a good job. I appreciate that. Still, as much as I loved Taecyeon, Seo Ye Ji knocked it out of the park. She outshined the whole cast. She has a great speaking voice, she displays emotion very well, and was very realistic. I loved watching her. Woo Do Hwan was another person I loved watching. He's genuinely good at what he does. I would definitely watch other shows from all three of these actors. They impressed me. The actors playing the main cultists (Baek Jung Ki, Apostle Kang, and Apostle Jo) all did a great job, too. Jo Jae Yun actually made me uncomfortable more than once. Good on him. He made me scream "stranger danger" in my mind more than once, even with the hilarious perm.

To be honest, the only thing I really remember about the show's music is its absence, which I'm totally okay with. A show like this works well with a lack of music. When the show does have music, it works well. I remember at one point there was a shaman doing shaman stuff running parallel to one of Baek's sermons. The scene alternated between the two, and the music tied them together very well.

Being that I'm not someone who rewatches shows, I can only say that, if I was, I would.

I definitely recommend this show. I loved it. It has its flaws, but they're nothing compared to how fantastic the rest of the show is.

Age of Youth
Aug 22, 2017
This drama is very, very special. I can't say that there's anything quite like it.

This drama's story is this: five girls live together in an apartment called Belle Epoque. Still, its premise is deceptively simple, as the stories of the five girls reveal themselves to be much deeper and more emotional than I ever would have expected. The bond that the five girls build is unlike any I've seen in an ensemble cast KDrama. The story is deep and beautiful, and very well-executed. The writers knew what they were doing. They tackled tough subjects without making fun of them. They had strong women and they had less strong women, but they were all treated with respect by the writers. I've never seen anything like it in Korean media.

This cast was delightful. Despite two of the leads being former idols, I wouldn't have known without looking them up, as I didn't recognize either of them. All five of the girls were fantastic, though, doing and saying things that I'd never seen women do in a KDrama. They were fantastic. Their respective boyfriends were great, too. All the supporting characters were solid as well. Whoever handled casting clearly knew what they were doing.

I want the OST for this show so much. There were a wide variety of songs with lots of different tones. Over all, the music was very warm and personal and very well illustrated the feel of the show. It never resorted to KDrama cliches, like loud ballads. Music always came in right when it should and it was used to set or add to a tone. It never ruined the mood, and I can't say that about many dramas. It was lovely.

I probably won't rewatch this, but if I had to, I wouldn't mind.

This drama was delightful. It did things I've never seen in KDramas before. I could relate to many of the characters, and saw a lot of myself in them. They were imperfect, and that was so great. I really love this show. I definitely recommend it. Please, go watch it.

Vampire Prosecutor
Aug 10, 2017
I have to say, I really enjoyed this. It's certainly not the best drama I've ever watched, but it does a lot right. I liked it.

The story is rough in spots. I liked 8 out of 12 episodes, which is pretty good for a "monster of the week" show. Min Tae Yeon is a really cool, interesting character, and I wanted to learn as much about him as I could. He was the perfect lead for this kind of show. The action scenes were pretty good (if a little cheesy). Most of the cases were entertaining, though a few were too confusing or too ridiculous for my tastes. The show didn't waste the time it had. It got done what it needed to in 12 episodes and didn't feel rushed for most of it. I liked it. The first two episodes were duds. They were confusing and definitely weren't fun to watch. Still, the rest of the show is pretty solid. The end is sort of unsatisfying, but I'll let that slide since there's a second season that might make things feel a little more complete.

I really like this cast. They have great chemistry and are a lot of fun to watch. Yeon Jung Hoon and Lee Won Jong pulled off their characters' friendship better than I expected. The show drops you in with very little information, yet it was very clear how long Tae Yeon and Detective Hwang had known each other before the viewers got to see them. Yoo Jung In wasn't a very interesting character, but Lee Young Ah carried her well and added a little spice to an otherwise boring character. The supporting characters and various criminals did well enough, too. I especially liked Yeon Jung Hoon in the lead though. He did a great job. I would love to see more of him in the future.

The music was nothing to call home about.

I probably won't rewatch this, though if I decided to, I would only rewatch certain episodes, since each one is mostly self-contained.

I recommend this drama. The cast is great and the majority of the show is well-done and fun to watch. I'll definitely be watching season 2.

Hello Monster
Aug 1, 2017
This show was a fun ride with an excellent cast, an interesting story, and great writing. The ending leaves something to be desired, but that doesn't make it bad.

I've watched a lot of dramas that use a sort of "monster of the week"/Scooby-Doo formula, and this drama did a great job of it. The cases were easy to follow and tied together in a very logical way. The hidden identity shenanigans were also well done. Our main character, Lee Hyun, is a smart person, and he figures out who everyone is at a reasonable pace. The hidden identities aren't dragged out for an unreasonable amount of time. The writers clearly respected the intelligence of the viewers. The romance was well-written and well-paced. The writer put a lot of care into making the story interesting, yet easy to puzzle through. There weren't any odd leaps of logic, just fun mystery solving. The ending is sort of a cliffhanger, and while it wasn't terrible, it felt a little rushed. Still, it wasn't so terrible that you should skip the last episode. It suited the tone of the show and made sense for the characters, but didn't suit my tastes.

I really liked this cast. The main four leads, Seo In Guk, Jang Na Ra, Park Bo Gum, and Choi Won Young had great chemistry and played their roles very well. The supporting actors who formed the investigation team were a lot of fun to watch. The team behaved like a family. The actors made it obvious that the characters had been working together long before we were introduced to them, and that's something that a lot of these "team-based" shows don't quite get right. Kang Eun Hyuk's (adorable) crush on Cha Ji An wasn't stuffed in the viewer's face. It was obvious he liked her, but they didn't feel the need to turn him into a love rival for Lee Hyun. They didn't include a love triangle and I am really glad they made that choice. They avoided unnecessary conflict, and I loved it.

The music is just okay. While there were some songs I really liked. The piece that plays during the intro is fun and sets the mysterious yet whimsical tone of the show. At the same time though, this show did the one thing every KDrama seems to do: it has a really loud ballad with lots of belting that always starts to play at the wrong time. There were lots of instances where a scene could have easily been silent, but they felt the need to shoehorn a song in, and it just didn't work.

I might rewatch this. I'm satisfied with just one viewing, so I don't think I really need to see it again. There's nothing I feel like I need to go back for, but watching it again wouldn't be terrible.

This drama was really good. It'll probably end up one of my favorites. It was a ton of fun to watch. I definitely recommend it.

Incomplete Life
Dec 28, 2016
This review is really tough for me. It took a very long time to finish watching this drama, because around episode 11, the magic was gone, and I quit at episode 13. I picked it back up about a month after I'd quit, and while it was okay, it didn't have the same feeling the beginning of the show had. It's a wonderful show, with a fantastic meaning and probably one of my favorite main characters to date, and yet I can't give it a 10. Still, if you don't plan to read the rest of this review, know that I do think that you should watch "Misaeng".

I loved the story of this show so much. It's so easy to connect with it, and yet so difficult. The writing at the beginning and in the last few episodes is so perfect, and yet episodes 11 through 18 is so slow, I had to quit watching for a while. This show is so heavy with business terms, I had a hard time understanding large parts. Everyone would get really upset over something, and yet I had no idea what was going on, and couldn't join in on the angst. Episodes 11-18 are so slow because of how business-heavy it all is. I feel like I should have kept Geu Rae's business dictionary with me while I watched.

Every single character is so perfect. I especially connected with Jang Baek Ki, who went in to work feeling prepared, only for his boss to show him that he didn't know everything, and that even though he's smart, he has to follow the rules just like everyone else. I wanted to keep Geu Rae safe in my pocket; he's small and soft and should be protected at all costs. Suk Yool was annoying, but he matures through his struggle with his boss, and he grows on you. Ahn Young Yi battles sexism with her own bare fists without help from anyone else, and succeeds. Mr. Oh is such a charming character, with his perpetually messed up hair, and his thinly veiled care for the kids at One International.

I also have to mention that Geu Rae's transformation throughout the show is so amazing, and so impressive on the writer's part. He starts out gullible and shy, but he grows much more confident, and proves himself as a hard worker. His good nature never leaves him though, as he's always caring, and puts the people around him before his own well being. The last episode really shows what type of person he grows into, and I was so impressed by him, and proud of him, and he's not even a real person. I have to give serious props to Im Siwan, who really made this character into something special. No one else could have played Jang Geu Rae the same way.

This cast is so talented, I don't even know what to do with myself now that they aren't together. They had such fantastic chemistry with each other. Every expression, every word, felt real. This is one of the few shows where I didn't say things to myself like, "That must have been difficult to shoot." It all seemed like it was happening in front of me, not like a scripted show. This is partially because of the (mostly) brilliant writing, but the actors had a much larger part in the realism, I think.

The music is so perfect. It's not your typical OST. It doesn't come in at awkward times, it doesn't ruin the mood. It sets the mood. It's subtle, and not overused. When it is used though, it adds another layer of emotion to the scene on screen. There are often times where there's no music at all, and that's why the music in this show is so fantastic; whoever handled the sound in this show clearly understood that sometimes silence shows emotion the best. At the same time, there are scenes with lots of quirky music, which pumps you up or accents how silly or sad a scene is. It really was impressive.

I'm glad I watched this show. It got so slow, but it picked up and ended with one of my favorite final episodes ever. I would rewatch it, because honestly, I feel like I missed something in those slow episodes, like I wasn't paying enough attention. This show really is wonderful, but I don't know if my distaste for those middle episodes is my fault or the writer's fault.

Overall, I loved this show to bits. I regret not liking the middle episodes, because I know there was world-building and plot-progression in there somewhere, but I just didn't understand it. I definitely recommend this show, because even if you think the middle episodes are slow, I think you'll agree that the brilliant writing and acting that surrounds them is definitely worth the struggle.

38 Task Force
Aug 15, 2016
After "Bad Guys", I wasn't sure I'd find another drama quite like it. Alas, OCN tossed another show at me and absolutely took my breath away.

I loved every second of this show. Each twist and turn (and there's A LOT) kept me on my toes. There's not a dry moment in the entire series. Every con was interesting and well thought out, and how they all tie together into the main overarching story is genius. I found myself racing to try and figure out how each con would play out as more and more roadblocks popped up, only for the show to blow my mind with an interesting, "Ah ha," moment as everything fell into place. It was honestly a lot of fun to watch. This show is "Bad Guys" on steroids. The romance that was featured was understated, and I'm glad for that. It served to bring depth to Sung Hee and Jung Do, not to make you swoon, and that was the best way for the writer to have handled it.

The cast was wonderful; I couldn't have possibly asked more from them. All of them were fantastic. They all gave the kind of performance that you don't really acknowledge was all a scripted TV show until it's over. I was very impressed. The casting was great, too. Ma Dong Seok and Seo In Guk especially brought their A-game for this one. They fit their roles like a glove. Ma Dong Seok especially showed that he can play more than tough guys (which he's quite famous for). I'd never seen Seo In Guk before, but he definitely garnered my interest. The entire cast was amazing, though.

I love this OST so much. When "Cool" or "Run" start to play, it's hard not to share a smile with the characters at another con pulled off. After watching the show, both songs carry a lot of feelings of success and happiness, which is really awesome. There's only two songs on the OST, but they don't get boring, despite how often they're played throughout the show.

With how much fun this ride was, I would honestly consider rewatching this. It was so great.

There's a reason this show is the highest rated show in OCN history- it's truly a masterpiece. It doesn't milk tropes like other dramas and it doesn't try to BE other dramas. "38 Task Force" is a one-of-a-kind show, paralleled by few others. I can only hope that OCN can continue putting out fantastic shows and that this show's writer is able to continue blowing my mind, because they've done it twice now. Please, watch this show. You won't regret it.

(Side Note: Woong Chul's cameo at the end made me giddy like a school girl. My boy is back!)
(Side Side Note: Does this^ confirm that "Bad Guys" is actually a sequel to "38 Task Force"?)

Gunman In Joseon
Aug 7, 2017
This drama was not good. It makes more mistakes than I can count. It's... bad.

This show's story is so full of holes, cliches, and BS that I'm not entirely sure how to describe it. It's poorly cobbled together, with far too many episodes for the small amount of content in the show. There wasn't enough story to sustain even 20 episodes, and then it was extended to 22! Few characters have personalities deeper than "main hero", "main girl", and "evil noble". The story has no depth, and that is very disappointing considering that deep, moving stories are what make KDramas so famous. This show feels like bad Iljimae fanfiction.

The cast was aggressively average, including Lee Joon Gi. Up to this point, he almost always impressed me, yet, here, he fell flat. He was clearly trying, but it just didn't work. Nam Sang Mi wasn't the best, but she gave effort. Jun Hye Mi attempted to express emotion solely through opening her eyes as wide as she could. The only cast member who did well was Yoo Oh Sung as Choi Won Sin. Not only was he better than the rest of the cast (which wasn't hard to do), but he totally knocked it out of the park. His character was probably the deepest in the show, and he carried it extremely well. I was more invested in his character than the main character. Choi Won Shin was the most real character in the show, with the most complicated motivations. His facial expressions were fantastic and he commanded every scene he was in. I loved his performance. He's one of the best villains I've ever seen in a KDrama. I really enjoyed him.

The music was nothing special and was actually below average. It always came in at the worst times. Many of the songs didn't fit the time period or the tone of the show at all. More often than not, the music was far louder than it needed to be and played seemingly at random. It wasn't good.

I will never rewatch this. I don't recommend it. For as good of a villain as Yoo Oh Sung was, his performance alone is not worth slogging through this mess. Avoid it. If you want rebel Lee Joon Gi, go watch Iljimae. It's infinitely better than this drama.