• Location: The Void

purtysunshine

The Void
Flipped
Jan 27, 2019
It started out AWESOME. I was super addicted. I'm a big fan of this genre, especially when it's done well and I felt like a lot of that was there at first: the story was interesting, there was a lot of chemistry between the leads (and holy molly those kisses....), the cinematography was pleasant to look at....

But that all quickly went downhill when the Big Misunderstanding that plagues many dramas hit and not only was it really not executed well, but suddenly everything just kind of fell apart. The writing was mediocre at best, the acting was cringe-worthy, the story was less than exciting, and I really did not care much for the leads anymore. Such a pity! There were still a few shining moments in the later episodes that tried to bring back a little of that initial charm this drama had but overall: I was over it.

I was also not a fan of the ending. It was a really frustrating and confusing last episode that did not leave me satisfied at all. The very end itself was awkward and didn't make sense. Whatever.

I can't completely say it isn't worth a watch, since as mentioned before the first half was really, really good. It might also be a little better if you can just binge your way through it in it's entirety without having to break for new episodes later on as I did. *insert shrugging emoji here*

Mr. Sunshine
Sep 30, 2018
It was really hard for me to rate this drama and describe my feelings about it because, on the one hand I do recognize it's quality (the story, the directing, the cast, the historical significance) but on the other hand, I felt like it took 20 episodes for it to get really, really good. The last episodes, while tragic given the historical back-drop of this story, had me glued to the screen. They were beautiful and emotional. I definitely cried.

However, the 20 episodes leading up to them were largely very boring. There were great moments of bromance, humor, and even some just all around aesthetically pleasing scenes, but a majority of the screen-time was focused on politics and it was just so boring because I already knew what was coming. I wish we had focused more on the characters earlier on since they are so, so great. Eugene Choi, Goo Dong Mae, and Kim Hee Sung had me rooting for them the entire time...and not just to "get the girl" but to be successful in whatever direction their lives were going because they all were so genuine and had such depth.

Go Ae Shin is one of my all time favorite leading ladies. She isn't your typical lead at all and I love how she took her destiny into her own hands. She was strong, funny, and cute all at once so it did not surprise me in the least that all three guys mentioned above were smitten with her (as opposed to many a drama where I can't figure out why guys are falling left and right for the heroin). Kim Tae Ri was fantastic and I give her so many props for standing next to Lee Byung Hun and holding her own, it really shows how talented she is as an actress.

I think when I first started watching Mr. Sunshine I was disappointed because it wasn't really what I expected from writer Kim Eun Sook. Some of her trademark elements were there (especially when it came to the bromance/humor) but overall it just wasn't what I wanted it to be so I was upset. Once I got over that though and was able to watch the drama for what it was instead, I was able to appreciate it much more. This time period is made for epic stories and is so emotional and tragic. Every time I watch a drama or movie that takes place during this era I feel for the Korean people so hard. Having lived in South Korea, I've witnessed first hand the effect the terrible things that happened during the Japanese Occupation has had even today...there is still a huge scar. Mr. Sunshine in particular was an interesting story because it started right before the occupation, instead of in the heat of it as other shows I've seen previously have. That made it even harder to watch because you can see all the pieces falling into place leading up to this horrible time period you know is coming. So while watching, I knew exactly how it would all end. In a way, that made finishing this drama easier. I won't lie and say I still didn't bawl my eyes out...but at least I was expecting it. I still have some issues with the way certain things went down (not *what* happened so much as *how*) for our characters here but overall, I'm satisfied.

Conclusion: watch it for it's historical significance, beautiful cinematography, and lovable characters. Be patient with the story. Bring a box of tissues.

Ps. Was anyone else expecting Gakshital to just show up in the end? How epic would that have been?? (haha).

Devilish Joy
Oct 30, 2018
Devilish Joy was a whirlwind of a drama. It had an endearing and powerful start that slowly threw all logic aside as it plowed through its plot, finally settling down with quite the train wreck of a finale.

I’m not saying it was a bad drama—at least, not in the sense that I did not enjoy it because I feel like it was worth my time. However, enjoyment aside, the writing and directing were really a mess. At its heart, Devilish Joy had some great characters and I think that’s what ultimately made it so watchable but the story line itself felt…immature. It was seasoned with a plethora of cliché (CLICHÉ!!!) mishaps and coincidences. My favorite phrase to mutter while watching this was “How~ convenient~.” To be honest I think it ultimately did not accomplish what its premise set it out to do (ie answer the question: “Could you fall in love with someone you forget every morning?”). They did not play on the amnesia plot device quite like I expected them to and that was a little disappointing because it was too unrealistic and kind of defeated the purpose (at least until the last episode, where it was played out much more how I expected the whole drama to have been).

It is cute and it is sweet. There are so…many…kisses (yey)! However, while I’ve seen some people raving about the chemistry in this, I just didn’t feel it. It’s not that Choi Jin Hyuk and Song Ha Yoon had no chemistry at all, I just didn’t think it was anything special (apart from the first episode, they never really made my heart race or anything). I’m not going to lie though and say I did not fully enjoy every second we got to see Choi Jin Hyuk in all his tall, deep-voiced glory (swooning a little).
Overall this was a relatively easy watch and surprisingly “breezy” given the topic at hand. I would recommend it if you’re in the mood for a little melodrama and a lot of romance.

Warning: the gum-smacking courtesy of our resident baddie is rage-inducing and capable of awakening dark thoughts you did not know you were capable of. Keep the sound on during his scenes with caution.

Switched
Oct 2, 2018
It took me a bit to gather the motivation to write a review for this because to be perfectly honest the ending really pissed me off.

It wasn’t so much that I felt like the wrong couple was together in the end as it seemed like the drama was edging us on in a different direction so I felt rather betrayed.

Having said that, it was a good watch and I highly encourage you to spoil who the OTP is for yourself before you go all in so that you don’t have to go through the crushing disappointment I did.
That aside, the story is pretty interesting. It definitely highlights some issues we have of our perception of people based on appearance and it’s packed full of a lot of heart. Plus, it’s so short that it’s as easy to breeze through as a movie.

Overall it’s worth a watch if you go into it prepared.

One More Happy Ending
Jan 20, 2019
It was cute and sweet and easy to watch but other than Jung Kyung Ho completely stealing the show as always (he is, as my friend put it, a "national treasure") I was mostly unimpressed.

There were laugh-out-loud times and some stupid cute scenes but the love-triangle just didn't make any sense to me. The friendship between the girls and their individual story-lines were all great as well but just...nothing special. I don't know. It seemed a little immature in it's writing and in the end I was mostly bored or rolling my eyes.

Having said all that, I do still think it's worth a watch if you just need an easy rom-com and want to bask in Jung Kyung Ho's glory. God, I miss him already.

The Ghost Detective
Nov 5, 2018
This is one of those dramas you need to go into with as few spoilers as possible in order to enjoy it even more. So, I will do my best to keep this review free of spoilers but be warned.
I watched this drama weekly with one of my friends. I not to watch dramas as they air these days but I ended up doing so not really expecting to love it as much as I did and to be strung along in anticipation every week. I really couldn’t predict what would happen or how it would play out and the big twist early on in the series really blew my mind since I wasn’t expecting it at all. It was so well done.

Another unexpected aspect of this show was the chemistry between the leads. God, if Lee Da Il and Jung Yeo Wool didn’t have rooting for them so hard…but even more than the hints of romance was the chemistry and relationship between all of the characters. You can’t help but fall in love with this odd band of unfortunate people: Han Sang Sub, Park Jung Dae and Gil Chae Won. I’m not even going to lie and say I did not have a slight girl-crush on Chae Won. She was bad ass and I loved how much she really was the least directly-involved character that whole mess they were dealing with and yet a huge responsibility ended up riding on her shoulders.

These relationships are what the drama ended up riding on as the plot kinda of fell through the roof. I wouldn’t go so far as to say it was nearly as bad as a lot of the comments I’ve read recently have declared. It definitely drags on a bit and recycles a few times but I think it actually played out well with what the production was given. Would this drama have been better at around a 12-episode length? Probably. But I’m okay with what they did. It drove me crazy with frustration at times but I think that is also a testimony to the quality of a plot if it can get you that riled.

I loved how smart and genuine (most) of our characters were. Jung Yeo Wool in particular was impressive with her ability to use logic to figure things out instead of waiting around for someone else to solve her problems. She had a laps there towards the end but I’m willing to forgive her because I love her so much.

Daniel Choi as Lee Da Il was so freaking perfect. My friend who was watching this with me and I have had the hardest time in the past getting through any of his dramas, despite the fact that we love him as an actor. The time has finally come: we did it. I’m sad that he has lost so much weight (gone are the adorable puffy cheecks of his) but HE~LLO gloriously defined cheek bones. The man is H-O-T.

The music is also A+. It really fit well with the series and helped enhance the mood.

I personally really loved this drama, despite some of it’s flaws. It’s not quite perfect enough for me to give it a 10 but I’d still highly recommend it.

Also, for those of you who are worried about it being scary: I can’t do horror at all and I was fine. I would say the scarier elements that were earlier on are more on the cheesy side than actually creepy. And later it becomes more of a psychological thriller than horror. You’ll be fine!

A Korean Odyssey
Sep 29, 2018
==!! This review contains some pretty big spoilers !!==

It has been a while since I’ve been obsessed with a drama as much as I was with Hwayugi and it is with an aching heart that I bid this show farewell.

While at times cheesy, over-the-top, brimmed with questionable fashion choices, and suffering from some terrible CGI work (was there really no better way to portray that dragon?) Hwayugi constantly dished out exactly what I wanted and for that reason I will always love it.

The good:

LEE. SEUNG. GI!! What a comeback! I have seen all of Lee Seung Gi’s dramas and love him more every time. His portrayal of Oh Gong here felt very reminiscent of his performance in The King 2 Hearts which made me all sorts of giddy.

The writing – The Hong Sisters proved that they’ve still got it! As leaders and trend-setters in the Korean drama industry, The Hong Sisters have been pioneers of the modern K-Drama. They’ve always pushed the boundaries and dared to be bold with their writing. Hwayugi is no different and by far one my favorite shows from them thus far (I’ve seen them all except for Warm and Cozy which I have very little ambition to watch). There were moments I didn’t necessarily enjoy but overall I felt like the story and their take on this classic tale was pretty solid. Plus, it was often times hilarious. I love it when writers are able to bring out humor in their shows naturally…like a scene where you are laughing your head off but if someone were to randomly glimpse it they would have no idea why you think it’s so funny. There were so many inside jokes, sidesplitting cameos, meta references, and subtle nudges of humor that remained consistent throughout the entire run of this drama.

The music – I really enjoyed this soundtrack. It was a little repetitive at times but the music fit the mood well and did a good job at wringing my emotions along.

THE KISSES – Hot damn, we got some good kisses *fans face*

I also loved the use of the bracelet as opposed to the headband from the original story. It was a very clever way to keep both the characters and the audience on their toes wondering about Oh Gong's true feelings. And while I really did enjoy how the scene of him taking off the bracelet for the first time was played out (flawlessly) I wish it had happened in the final episode, after he regained his memories. They still could have even done it the exact same way, I just feel like the emotional pay-off would have been higher. As it is, all of the flashbacks in episode 20 felt pointless and like a huge waste of precious screen time because we already knew and I would have much rather been on board with Sun Mi waiting for that big reveal. The emotional punch would have been much more profound.

The luke-warm:

Sun Mi’s character – She was alright (at times cute, at times strong) but overall she kind of paled in comparison to the rest of the cast.

The end to Boo Ja’s story – I won't say here, but if you've seen it you'll know why I'm upset

The inconsistency of the bromance/friendships – I loved the relationship between Oh Gong and Mawang but it felt really inconsistent to me. One minute they would be bromancing and the next Mawang would be contemplating eating Sun Mi. Not cool. Plus, I was holding out hope for Sun Mi to make some real friends during this but in the end it turns out the only one who really cared about her was Oh Gong (and Boo Ja, I suppose). When she lost her "Sam Jang"-ness there for a bit everyone else just deserted her and didn’t seem to care about her, personally, at all—which was really disappointing.

(!!!!!! WARNING HUGE SPOILERS !!!!!!)
The ending – The ending itself has left me feeling conflicted. On the one hand, it didn't end how I wanted it to (ie miraculously Happy Ever After) so I feel like whining, complaining, and sniveling. On the other hand, the ending remained true to the trajectory of the story (the Hong Sister's interpretation anyway, definitely not the original) and I realize that it could have been so.much.worse (this is me giving the side-eye to Black and Gu Family Book). I like that they at least gave us that open-ending since we know that Oh Gong is going to turn Heaven and Earth upside down to get Sun Mi back, no doubt about it. I just wanted to see it happen and not have to use my imagination. I feel like as viewers, we deserved that much. Plus, it would have been way more exciting to see a final episode where Oh Gong goes off to save Sun Mi from the underworld or whatever, than having practically an entire episode devoted to flash backs. Just sayin'.

The climax – I also felt very frustrated with the overall Doomsday arch. And this is again where we could have devoted more time to Saving Sun Mi rather than just waiting for her to die. The climax of that felt very anti-climatic and it's my one huge problem with the writing/directing. I felt pretty bored and boggled down in politics when it came to the End of The World plotline and in my option there was just a million other directions they could have gone with that to make it way more interesting, especially since they had endless possibilities given the world that was created for this drama. I think this is the show's weakest link and a huge stain on the last 4 episodes or so that cooled me down from obsessively invested to just wanting them to get it over with already.

Overall there are way more things to love than to hate about this drama and I could still go on and on. It’s not perfect but I know for sure I will definitely be re-watching it in the future and gushing over it just as much.

Just Between Lovers
Sep 28, 2018
Just Between Lovers was a touching drama with a pretty pallet and a sweet couple. The characters were well written, the soundtrack was nice, and the directing was good…however, the over-used (in general) overbearing melodrama components made me slowly loose interest. I went in marathoning with fervor and ended up having to force myself to finish. I wouldn’t necessarily say it isn’t worth watching, you just have to be in the right mood for it. Ultimately—for me, anyway—it was forgettable.
Kiss Me
Nov 10, 2018
I have seen nearly every version of this story (Itazura na Kiss originally) and I have to say this is one of my favorites. I’m relatively new to the Thai drama scene so the language/culture is still really unfamiliar and a bit awkward for me but if you’ve never seen one before I think this would be a great drama to transition to with.

The base of the story follows the original Itazura na Kiss plot but they revised it a lot to make it different and more modern. I love that they did that. Just because it’s a remake doesn’t mean you can’t update it (looking at you Meteor Garden 2018). To be honest the way they changed it made it a lot more relatable and sweet.

Taliw is the smartest of all the renditions of Kotoko (Oh Ha Ni/Xang Qin). She is…normal. Not too book smart but in the way most of us are, and she can cook and is more upfront without all the snooping/awkwardness the other versions of her character had. She is also capable of succeeding at life and there is far less time spent here on her struggling in school.

TenTen is by far the nicest Naoki (Baek Seung Jo/Zhi Shu) and he has a certain normalness to him as well that made him even more loveable. He is still a “genius” by the books but there are times when he doesn’t know what to do or when he’s shown as being very vulnerable with his feelings. You can also really see him falling for Taliw (like when he sees her early in all dressed up and he gets all flustered because she looks so pretty).

Taliw and TenTen’s relationship develops a lot more normally as well (for example, we get way more kisses here before they actually get together than in the originals) so it’s not such a big shocker that TenTen actually loves her and while that took a little punch out of him finally confessing his feelings in the end it was still super sweet and felt more realistic. The twist that they threw in there as well was just so damn perfect. I love it!

My biggest complaint is probably that there isn’t really any HQ versions of this around (that I could find) so you have to stream it in all its pixel-y glory which was really disappointing because I think it would have been really pleasant to look at otherwise. Hopefully a higher quality stream becomes available. Other than that, it was pretty near perfect.

Beautiful Gong Shim
Oct 15, 2018
This drama was cute, often times hilarious (especially if you are familiar with Nam Goong Min in other more tragic/serious roles, seeing him here as the goofy Ahn Dan Tae is all the more funny) but WOW if the story wasn’t all over the place and totally predictable. It was almost entirely a huge cliché and if you have seen other K-Dramas you will probably have the plot memorized before even getting half-way through. This was also a 20-episode drama that needed to be like 12 episodes, max. By the end I did not care about the overall story and was only watching for the cute moments between Ahn Dan Tae and Gong Shim.

I won’t say I regret watching, because it was cute and funny enough to be worth it. However, I will say that the majority of the drama was a waste of time. Watch casually and skip all the nonsense…unless you’ve never seen a K-Drama before or are relatively new to the drama scene…then you will probably be able to enjoy the plot.

My Only Love Song
Oct 6, 2018
This drama was kind of all over the place for me…interesting story…cheesy dialogue…lots of hilarity…mediocre production…fun characters…weird. I just couldn’t take it that seriously (which would be fine…) except that at times it seemed like it wanted to be taken seriously. You can compare this kind of drama to the likes of Sungkyunkwan Scandal, Moonlight Drawn By Clouds, and even Queen In Hyun’s Man…but where these dramas managed to successfully combine the historical-fusion-comedy-romance-drama genre’s…My Only Love Song kinda failed.

I’m not going to say it was bad, because I did enjoy it for the most part. However, it just did not mesh the various elements of the story well. When it was funny, it was funny. When it was romantic and sweet…it was romantic and sweet. And when it was serious…well, it tried. But it all felt very separated and it just couldn’t blend. I wish it had, because it would be SO freaking amazing had the flow of the story progressed better. But as it stands, I will remember certain moments fondly but not look back with much nostalgia. Here’s to another one for the “what-could-have-been” pile *raises glass.*

I Need Romance 3
Sep 30, 2018
I'm so depressed that this drama is over I could just cry. Really.

It has been a long time since I stumbled upon something so perfect and I cannot gush enough about how much I positively loved this little gem of a show.

It goes to show that the right combination of good actors, directing, music and writing can really produce good quality material without anything flashy (no exotic shots, no high-budget standards, no complex and intricate plot....) It's just a drama that's full of life and perfection even within it's (very minor) shortcomings.

Here is a show that's packed full of heart and humor. It dishes out life as it is but also sprinkles on some hopes and dreams in the form of an absolutely flawless character affectionately referred to as Sweet Potato. What I adored about Joo Won (his actual name, ha) was that even though he was so unbelievably perfect at times his character still experienced growth and had his ups and downs that made him seem so real despite the fairy-tail like aura he emulated.

This was also the drama to finally--at long last--suck me into Sung Joon's fandom. I've seen him in other stuff and thought 'eh, he's cute...' at best but now he certainly has my attention. To say the least, he rocked my socks off with his portrayal of Joo Won and now I'll be on the look out for his future works.

On the other hand, I have always been a fan of Kim So Yun and she has yet to disappoint me. She always plays challenging and unique characters and she executes her performances so seemingly effortlessly and smoothly that it's hard to believe her characters aren't actually real people. In this case, Shin Joo Yun was just perfectly imperfect. I love characters with a lot of depth to them, and that usually means they start out hateful but become more and more loveable as their layers are pealed back and they learn to be better versions of themselves. That's exactly what we get with Joo Yun and it was a wonderful unfolding to behold.

I feel like I could delve into other details and points of the show (because there is a lot more to it than this) but I think I've touched on what really maters the most to me and what (overall) made me mark this drama off as a 10. I WILL just add that the soundtrack is killer. Love it!

Again, I'm going to miss this drama so much I haven't exactly figured out how to move on with my life just yet (haha~ but seriously...). Here's a round of applause to the cast and crew for all their hard work!! I'm sure I'll be watching it again soon...

Ojakgyo Brothers
Sep 30, 2018
Oh, this show. How I both love and hate it.

There were moments that had me laughing, squeeing, and truly enjoying the show and then there were other moments that made me so mad and frustrated I literally had to pause and walk away for a while.

Luckily for this drama the later happened after I'd already invested plenty of hours into this show so I soldiered on regardless. And while I can't necessarily say that it was worth it, I can move on now that it is over with a smile.

I will miss these characters but not horribly. While a decent drama overall, it still can't compare to--what is in my opinion--the best family drama out there: Smile, You. But if you are craving for 58 (!) episodes of family drama this should feed your addiction.

I will warn you: prepare yourself for useless angst. And to both love and hate most (if not all) characters. But know that you will find many laughs and heartwarming moments along the way.

Wild Romance
Sep 29, 2018
*sigh* This drama...

I have really conflicted feelings. On one hand, it had AMAZING moments. This is defiantly my favorite roll of Dong Wook's. As my bestie pointed out to me, DW was just MADE for comedy and he fits riiight into his role of Park Moo Yul. Plus, Lee Si Young totally stole the show with her performance as Yoo Eun Jae, I adored her! Both leads had great chemistry, the side characters of Eun Jae's best friend and Moo Yul's manager were SO FUNNY and adorable, there were moments that induced side-splitting laughter from me and some interesting, unusual circumstances (such as the fact there is no "Guy 2" in this drama)!

And yet...something went horribly wrong somewhere. It was as if this show kind of forgot what it was supposed to be about. Since the beginning there was the whole "stalker" plot that had us wondering 'Who dun it?' for the first half of the series and it worked well until they revealed to us who the big baddie was and thus killed all the suspense. The show became all about the CHARACTERS figuring it all out while we had to suffer through watching them fumble around. It was almost...boring. And there was SO MUCH POTENTIAL WASTED! Oh, how I could just weep tears of frustration. So much could of happened that didn't happen and there was way too much time spent on things that were either uninteresting or unimportant. Plus, there was a seriously cheesy climax to the stalker plot.

I really wish there had been more development with the main relationship and less focus on the stalker-plot. It would of been so much better. Unless, of course, they had actually made it really suspenseful and exciting. Then that would of been awesome. But alas...

Oh well. I'll take what I can get I guess. The ending was very cute, at least. Had me giggling. But also left me wanting more. I'm not even sure if I would recommend this or not. It's a toss up between YEAH! and NO STAY FAR AWAY!

Gu Family Book
Sep 28, 2018
I feel very generous with my rating considering the rage I felt after finishing this drama. I was all set and ready to actually mark Gu Family Book as one of my top favorites before the last two episodes had to come along and ruin it all.

My feelings for this drama went through three stages: this blows, this is freaking awesome, and thisistheworstdramaever.

Plot wise, it suffered. There was an initial direction and motive but nothing was ever executed efficiently and the show really went all over the place.

The acting was just okay at best. I love Lee Seung Gi and Suzy both but they have done better. The other actors were similarly awkward for the most part.

Despite these flaws, the relationship between Kang Chi and Yeol Wool was refreshingly sweet and there were many characters who grew on me and made me love them. This was enough for me to be rather forgiving of Gu Family Book's weak points.

Having said that, the ending was unnecessary on so many different levels I cannot even begin to express my disappointment and anger. It was suuuuper out of place and only lead me to the conclusion that this drama did NOT accomplish what it initially set out to do.

In other words: Gu Family Book, you fail. I just wish you hadn't captured my heart and taken me down with you.

Excuse me while I go cry myself to sleep.