A Beautiful Life

pangeramorrow
Mar 10, 2012
This movie gave me butterflies in my stomach, which is kind of rare in romantic dramas and movies nowadays.

While the story is more of a "slow burn" in romance, the chemistry between the actors is STRONG and gives the film its intensity. The Holly Golightly-type heroine is slightly more vulnerable than you’d expect, which makes her more likable as you watch the film than maybe you would on paper. Definitely watch for Liu Ye’s discreet facial expressions of a reserved man who has fallen head-over-heels in love and desperately trying to hide it.

This film seems like two movies in one, but they both seem like such great stories, that you don't feel too much disconnect once the first set of plot points are completely abandoned. Very rewatchable.

ParanoidAndroid
Feb 13, 2014
I loved this movie a lot more than I thought I would. Just when I thought it was a certain kind of movie it kicked me in my heart.(not in a bad way) I admit to crying like twice because I was so moved and it was such a good movie. Maybe it's rating is more of an 8 overall but I don't make crying during movies a habit so I had to give it a 9 just for being able to make me feel all these feelings. I felt very close to the main characters as well as the younger brother.
doseofdrama
Sep 18, 2012
Asia has a unique flavor of romcom that includes stirring in the melodrama about halfway through. Don’t let that description scare you away though! This Chinese movie may contain some sadness but it isn't overwhelming. Plus the comedy in the beginning is well-written and the development of the onscreen romance is uber sweet. Both Qi Shu and Ye Liu do a great job with their characters and their chemistry is amazing. Although I’m not a huge fan of Qi Shu’s border-anorexic look in this movie, I love her acting in this and some other films. She commits to her character and manages to bring some spunk while still being vulnerable and relate-able.

(above originally from my blog review/article on the movie)