I Can Speak (2017) poster

• Movie: I Can Speak
  • Country: South Korea
  • Release Date: Sep 17, 2017
  • Duration: 1 hr. 59 min.
  • Genres: Friendship, Historical, Drama, War
  • Tags: Age Gap
  • Rating: 13+ - Teens 13 or older

Korean Movies
Kmovie Based On True Story
FAVE MOVIES

misu
Mar 10, 2018
"I can speak" the movie initially is about the growth of friendship between an older woman and a younger man, what starts off as a sour start to their relationship turns into a sweet friendship after Park Min Jae (Lee Je Hoon) teaches Na Ok Boon (Na Moon Hee) English out of guilt, as she had asked many times and he refused. I've never watched an anti-Japan film before so I don't want to add anything to that side of the subject, as I could come off seeming offensive to some people, anyway the story was nothing too special like I said mostly about the friendship side which took a lead role in the majority of the film. Despite that it was quite an enjoyable movie to watch, especially as the movie gradually got more interesting in the second half.

aimsat
Jun 29, 2018
How is it humanly possible to make such a brilliant cinema? I’m still awestruck after finishing the movie. The depiction of the main story would come in such a roundabout but in a meaningful way that it was incredible.

I CAN SPEAK – this name is used symbolically, is what came into my mind while watching the movie. It is actually a pseudonym for the main story. Surprisingly viewers cannot speculate what kind of seriousness the story holds at the beginning of the movie. The starting is more or less about the introduction of the characters, their characteristics and their individual lifestyles. It was filled with joviality, frustration, lawlessness, boredom and grouch.

The character of Na Ok Boon aka Goblin Granny is dreaded by everyone. Her main task is to pinpoint her neighbours about the wrongdoings, seditious behavior and illegal practices which disrupt the smooth social order. She is nonchalant and valiant. No amount of scorn or condescend towards her can back her down. She would be always ready to file a complaint against any atom amount of illegal doings to the district office. Apart from this which is her regular work, she is highly eager to earnestly learn English for a special reason. Thus the revelation of her main reason for learning English Language on the second half of the film makes it simply wonderful.

Besides, Na Ok Boon another main character called Park Min Jae, a 33 year old civil servant, is a regular office worker. He had dreamt of being into another profession but somehow ended up as a govt. official for familial reason. Fortunately or unfortunately the fates of Ok Boon and Min Jae are intertwined and with much hesitation at first, eventually Min Jae gives up and starts to teach English to Goblin Granny. He becomes his English teacher and along with his younger brother becomes family of the granny.

As the story progressed, through dramatization of few incidents, it is gradually unraveled why the granny is so enthusiastic and adamant about learning the language. It becomes intelligible that why she wants her past predicaments to be hidden from everyone and what importance this language holds in her life.

The movie is made about a sensitive issue which is heart rendering and capable of making the viewers’ hearts warm with reverence.

Both Na Moon Hee and Lee Je Hoon portrayed exceptional performance of their character. Not even a single moment it feels like they are acting. Their performance was natural especially Na Moon Hee being a veteran actress knows the exact thing to do with her role. They were utterly impressive.

Reviews should be written with critical analyses of important scenes and about the story line by line. However, in MDL it is difficult because we need to maintain caution for not spoiling the story for other viewers. Therefore, I’m forced to keep it short otherwise I had galore of good things to write about this movie.

This is the kind of movie I’ll always cherish and would encourage others to watch. “I Can Speak” is a genuine representation of real cinema – a real art and a true masterpiece.

Fafi
Mar 3, 2019
I Can Speak -hell yes she CAN,
The movie starts off as an easy-going narration of a growth of friendship between two characters. It's fun and entertaining, and you can't but fall for those characters. Na Ok Boon aka Goblin Granny is that character that everyone seems to avoid, and is such a pain in the ass for civil workers in particular. Park Min Jae ,a 33-year old civil worker that was assigned to deal with Granny's complaints. Throughout the movie, the relationship between both leads starts growing into something lovely.
The acting was really good, whether it were the main leads of the supporting cast, it was truly fascinating alongside the amazing cinematography and story flow. You won't leave after watching this movie feeling like it was a waste of anything cause it has its own purpose, its own morale, and also an impact on the audience.
Since this is a spoiler-free review, the only thing I can say is the story is definitely not what it seems to be and it has a much deeper meaning, on the more serious wavelength.
Thus, watch it for it will really bring out several different emotions. I did tear up several times, I mean you can't not!!

Nov 13, 2017
Just  another silly comedy movie, but then I heard it's about a certain  serious historical subject that is still reverent, the movie is better  than initially expected. Although sometimes clumsy especially during the second melodramatic  half, the film works mainly thanks to the engaging interactions between  its two main artists, and it certainly gains laughter and tears,  although it can clearly see its manipulative aspects.
After  going through a series of melodramatic moments, the film culminates  with a dramatic moment required for well-being, and I must point out  that this moment is cliché and heavy at times. In the case of two certain minor supporting characters that appear  during that time, I understand that they simply exist to emphasize what  is at stake for Ok-Boon ...
However,  the film is not entirely without emotional appeal, and this is mainly  because of the performance manipulating numerous humorous scenes during  the first half of the film, Nah also brings genuine sadness to more  serious scenes during the second half, and surely keeps his terrain well during the dramatic moment mentioned above. In  short, well-made comedy drama film, the film is less satisfying in  terms of story and characters, but its good elements are still strong  enough to make up for its remarkable failures.