Que Sera, Sera

rad_lisette
Jan 26, 2012
Que Sera Sera is an atypical Korean drama in that it is both mature and intense in the emotions that it evokes.

The plot often turns violent, twisted and sexy as all of the 4 main characters become entangled in this game that is supposedly centered around "love".
The drama challenges you and there are some interesting discussions about this drama on Soompi's forums that are quite interesting to read through. Either you'll love this drama or you will hate it.

There is no stereotypical character. Each and every one of the main characters are imperfect beings, acted to perfection by the actors all across the board.
This drama is also Eric's (Shinhwa) best role to date. His character was hard to really like and his portrayal brought some humanity to his character.

To me, the highlight of this drama was the witty and strong dialogue, compared to other Korean dramas.

All in all, a lovely and intense drama that stands above the other Korean melodramas out there.

dramaqueen4life
Jan 15, 2014
If you are looking for a romantic comedy then look elsewhere. This drama should not be watched if you are looking for a heart pounding plot.
but i promise you if you love watching flawed like characters grow, if you love touching music, if you are bored with the stock dramas in dramaland and want to try something new and if you are ready to be shocked episode after episode then this drama is for you.

This drama is not for the fainthearted or for the casual viewer. It took me whole of 17 episodes for me to decide if i love this drama or i hate it with a vengeance. This one lies somewhere in the middle.

None of the 4 protagonists are your stereotypical characters from dramaland. All of them are flawed and selfish enough to self destruct themselves and everything around them.

Eric Mun as Kang Tae Joo is forever etched in my mind as the bastard with the human heart. Don't expect to love him but he is the type of man who we love to hate. Eric did a fantastic job portraying his character and brought such range of emotions that i am shocked that this drama is so under appreciated and received low ratings in its time.

I stand conflicted if i love the heroine or not. She is something for sure. She is the most unique heroine you will meet in dramaland. She looks naive and stupid but you will get to know her slowly and understand the things that she does. If you get past that horrible hairstyle that Jung Yoo Mi portrays throughout then you will see that her acting is pretty darn good.

Their is quite a good chemistry between Tae Joo and Eun Soo. When I saw them together on screen i felt everything what they were feeling. Those simple touches, those hugs, those kisses. The chemistry is well done and their is no tight lipped kissing here. The Romance has a mature tone so no fluffy stuff here.

Lee Kyu Han continues to get supporting roles but this man seriously needs his own drama to bring out the acting that i know he is capable of. He is quite good as Shin Joon Hyuk and as the man who is utterly cold and lonely in his life.

Cha Hye Rin is the type of woman who is easy to understand and someone who is just as lonely as anything or anyone.

The protagonists live in the hell of their own making and that is why this drama is full of so much angst. Their is lot of crying and moping and emotions flying around but it is not driven by external factors. This drama shows that we as humans are selfish and base. It is twisted and dark but oh so lovely to watch. It is told with raw realism and something akin to as if the writer can read our mind. Some shots, some quotes will forever remain in my memories. This was an intense drama that slowed down and kept on picking itself up at the same time. Don't expect a plot here.There is a plot though and it is quite good but not much happens in the way we viewers are used to. All the 17 episodes were about these 4 lives and their entangling and their character growth.

The music is downright phenomenal from Gotan Project to "Moonrise"
this is too intense a drama to be rewatched again.

Give this one a chance..this starts a little slow but will be up and running in no time. Que Sera Sera will bring you a little closer to understanding the human nature and much closer to life's realities as well. But as Peter Bishop says "behind every cynic their is a romantic".

Hugz_4_mE
Feb 27, 2012
LOVE THIS DRAMA! IT'S A MUST-WATCH..The chemistry between the main leads feel so real which makes the drama great!.. In my opinion it didnt dragged as most drama do.. It has a unique plot and of course lots of TWIST in the story!.. you will not get bored and One of my favourite dramas of all time!!... YOU WONT BE DISAPPOINTED!

*edit* I know that some are always looking for great kissing scenes in dramas well let me tell you this had the best out of all ive seen...
PrettyCarEye
Sep 15, 2013
A drama that literally takes you on a roller coaster ride of emotional twists and turns, Que Sera Sera revolves around 4 young people, all dealing with their own personal struggles, and how they overcome and grow.

Kang Tæ - Joo is a suave, unrepentant lady's man who goes about his romantic liaisons with cool practicality. He's your regular joe with high ambitions. He sees the beautiful rich women who fall over themselves for his manly charms and good looks as his ticket to bigger and better things. He’s a realist, with little patience for idealistic folly.

Some people have described him as a jerk, but to me he isn't. He never misleads the women in his life about his intentions nor does he try to hide the fact that he's essentially a gold digger. He's certainly a lady killer, a breaker of hearts, but not a mean spirited one. Women can't help but fall for him, but to Tæ-Joo that's neither his fault nor his business.

I don't always agree with his methods of achieving his goals, but I respect him. I admire his ambition and drive to make something of his life. It’s far better than the laziness, inertia and complacency that grip today's youth. So what happens when a brutal realist and a starry eyed idealist meet and fall in love? Well, chemical waves short circuit and the whole goddamn house burns down.

The show features an intense love quadruple which serves as the main driver of sending your emotions into a tailspin. Normally I hate these type of romance dramas, but this wasn’t bad at all. It kept me anxious but not angry. And as other reviewers have pointed out QSS isn’t your run of the mill kdrama with chaste kisses and secret glances. It’s wild and it's hot and it’s passionate. Sex is not taboo. The characters are age appropriate in their behaviours, if not always in their deeds. I loved it!

What I enjoyed even more, though, were the extremely valuable life lessons imparted:

- Life is a gamble, you can win a fortune or lose everything.
- Opportunities come only once, don’t pass them up.
- By the same token, know that whatever path you choose in life comes with consequences you have to live with.
- Most of the time money doesn't make you happy.
- Love, though fragile and fleeting, is the most important experience of human existence.
- We want what we can’t have, but don’t appreciate what we do have until it’s gone.

It was just amazing. I felt like by the end of the show I learned and grew right along with the characters. This is why I gave the drama an 8, instead of a 7.

The only downside, and why this drama didn’t net a 9, was that I wanted more ‘happy and in love’ screen time with our leads. There was an overabundance of negative angst. Not the exciting, sexually charged type of angst you’ll experience in say … Lovers. I’m fine with negative angst as long as equal amounts of positive angst balance things out.

Characters, on the other hand, were very three dimensional and human, all having their negative and positive attributes. I have to continuously commend the Koreans for writing such layered characters who I didn't see regularly before my foray into Asian entertainment.

Of the four main ones I felt like the female lead Eun Soo was the weakest link, mainly due to how she was acted by Jung Yu Mi. First of all, the actress looked like an underaged teenager and was much too childlike in her portrayal. As the drama progressed she matured a little and you realize she isn’t completely a pushover, but that she’s written as the stereotypical ‘strong’ Korean female lead afflicted with misplaced pride, noble stupidity; defiant, stubborn, obtuse … for totally idiotic, nonsensical reasons to the very end. Don’t get me wrong she remained a sympathetic figure throughout the show, but there were moments when certain behaviours of hers raised my ire.

Eric Mun as Kang Tæ-Joo was absolutely divine. Eye candy and talent, for a voracious cinephile like me it doesn’t get any better. And you could tell he’s Korean - American too because the guy has mad swag. I was swooning! This is the first time I’m seeing Mun in anything and I can understand why everyone says this is his best role. I can not imagine who else could play this character better than him.

But while Eric swept me off my feet and impressed me, the true stand out was actually Lee Kyu Han who I had recently seen in Smile, You and did not like! I thought his character was useless and a pest, but here wow … he played the ruthless, lonely, misunderstood, vulnerable businessman to a T. I sympathized a great deal with him even when I was supposed to hate him, especially toward the end. Finally, Yoon Ji Hye did great as the desperate, insecure rich girl.

Everyone pretty much threw themselves into their roles to create a truly engaging watch.I wanted a bit more from the ending, but was still satisfied with what we got. This was gooddrama, folks. Romance done right. It’s crazy and a little far-fetched as only Korean dramas can be, but totally worth it. If you don’t already have Que Sera Sera on your list, add it now.

lovecoutureflyy
Aug 11, 2013
I remember the first time I attempted to watch this drama and I couldn't make it pass the first scene. I don't know what was wrong with me but I'm so glad that I gave this drama a chance again. This drama is one of my favorites and in my top five.

It's so different from most dramas that I watched. I feel like most Korean dramas keep it very innocent when it comes to relationships but Que Sera, Sera pushed all the limits when it came to these relationships. The drama is so dramatic in a great way too. It had my emotions all over the place. I wanted to cry, smile, and even pull my hair out in frustration at the situations and characters sometimes but when it ended I couldn't help but feel completely satisfied with the outcome.

The characters are great and very real. I think the cast is great as well too. There is a great chemistry between the male and female leads. Kang Tae Joo is an complete A-hole. We get this male lead character in most dramas but not to this extent. Kang Tae Joo is the boy that you would never want your daughter to meet at all. He's really the definition of a playboy and I love that Que Sera, Sera showed what a real playboy is like. To me Kang Tae Joo is one of the most interesting characters to watch in this show and I loved to watch his character development and growth. I think Eric did an excellent job portraying this character.

I've re-watched this drama plenty of times and it never gets old to me. I still feel all the emotions that I felt before.

I was so scared for the ending but everything overall ended up good. I think ending was actually perfect for a drama like this. I will say this if you're the type of person who's just looking for a regular romance with the piggyback rides and tiny pecks than this isn't the drama for you. But if you're looking for something exciting and an intense romance (when I say intense I mean INTENSE) then this is the drama for you in ever way.

dpcirizarry123
Feb 27, 2013
OH MY GOSH! How come I only found out this drama today. I did a marathon session & have been on the computer for about 17 hours (only taking bathroom breaks).

This is one of the best dramas I have seen in a while. I watched every single minute of it (did not skip anything). The story was awesome & well written. The cast was just full of beautiful people. Eric is now one of my faves (I have to see more of his stuff). The romance, OH THE ROMANCE was just perfect (the Koreans are starting to really learn about kissing scenes). You will feel every emotion, glance, hug, kiss, anxiety, regret, tears along with the characters. I just could not have a favorite one because all of them where perfect.

The music was outstanding. The fashion & scenery could not be better or prettier. You just want the story to continue & continue & continue & continue.

I will be re-watching this drams many times.

JunKi-fan
Aug 23, 2011
Que Sera Sera has gotta be one of the best under-rated Korean dramas out there. The plot and the story are not exceptional, but the excellent acting, screenplay and characterizations make this drama stand out. And what seals the deal is the ending. One of the best Kdrama endings in my opinion. The conversion of the bad guy into a human with emotions has been portrayed meticulously through the various ups and downs and twists in the plot. All the characters with their human flaws and shortcomings will leave a permanent impression on you. Rewatch value is less though, since one wouldn't want to experience all the angst that the leads go through once again.

Fennecfox
Mar 30, 2013
This series is spectacular. I recommend to anyone who likes lots of love, kisses,and scenes of jealousy ..... and also the innocent side by the main actress is well connected with the bad side of the main actor, at least in my opinion.

is true that there are some scenes that we stay thinking -why the hell that happened the way it happened ... but the love scenes compensate.
Ceki
Sep 11, 2015
This drama had a premise of being amazing, but considering my rating of it, it obviously did not turn out that way.
Let's start from the beginning, which was flawless. I was absorbed by the natural acting - there were no silly expressions and remarks found in the newest Korean dramas. Everything seemed realistic which was great.

The main male character Kang Tae Joo is not a hero by any means, you can see from the start that he has flaws (narcissism, lack of empathy etc), BUT you can also see that he also has positive characteristics (being honest and speaking up for himself - the scene in which he defends himself against his boss is amazing).
The main female character Han Eun Soo seems like a typical, stupid and naive girl from the Korean countryside that goes to the big city and falls in love. And it is like that but later on she will mature and learn from her mistakes (or not..).

Cha Hye Lin is the second female character and she was absolutely brilliant at the beginning - successful, mature, brave. She goes against authority (her tyrannical parents) and the society. Unfortunately, she will turn into a whimsical pathetic bitch until the end.

Shin Joon Hyuk is the second male character and he may seem cold-blooded and plain on the outside, but he is actually deeply insecure and sensitive on the inside.

All of them are different and the drama seemed pretty interesting until the point when the writing goes really shitty, unrealistic and absurd. The four of them go into a romantic and sadistic fight and there are also many scenes of them fighting, throwing water and slapping each other. Kang Tae Joo is definitely the worst of them. The problem is that all of that is condoned as natural, and they all end up being friends, cozy and fine as if nothing ever happened. Most of the drama is about them hurting each other and nothing else exists.

I would not recommend it to anyone who hates absurd and stupid plots. It had a great premise but it failed miserably.

midwest
Jan 23, 2013
This show probably has the most realistic approach to characterisation and dialogue that I have ever seen in a Kdrama before. On the face of it, the plot and characters are quite standard. But the execution is just so nuanced and thoughtful that the show transcends the limitations of the genre.

Story: This isn't just a thoughtful romance drama. It's also an excellent meditation on the human condition. You get a real sense of just how lonely it can be out in the modern world. How sometimes individuals are trapped into actions and choices because of their upbringing and personality, and how difficult overcoming that can be.

Acting/cast: All of the characters felt authentic and had a real dignity to them. Nothing felt phony or forced. There were no times where I felt that the heavy hand of the writer was guiding the character into some stupid situation or action. All of it was rooted in a reality.

The two main leads are fantastic. The chemistry between them is magnetic, exciting, and tragic.

Music: Great music. Stylish, sexy, and totally not cheesy.

Rewatch Value: It was made in 2007 and yet it still seems very, very cool. A lot of this has to do with the cast and acting but the themes dealt with are also quite timeless. I can see myself rewatching this a few times down the track.

Overall I give this a 9. It was a mark short of a 10 because it became a bit dull around the middle for one or two episodes. I wouldn't say it was boring but the show definitely could have done with a shorter episode order. That's a minor quibble, though. All-in-all this is an excellent must watch drama.

Doremeduck
May 31, 2012
The synopsis for this drama is a bit confusing. I was hesitant to start watching it, because it looked like it was going to be too complicated, but I realized that the synopsis is a little different than what I first thought. Basically, this drama is about having to choose between two things: Love and Money. Throughout the first part of the drama, I really enjoyed it, and kept watching episode after episode. There was romance and crazy situations that made for a highly entertaining watch, but the emotion of the drama changed as a whole around the 10th episode. The characters personalities changed as well; from straight forward and cocky, to passive and ignorant. It felt like I was watching an entire new drama entirely. The change wasn't too bad, but when I started watching this drama, I wanted to see a romance, not what the drama turned into, all about the moolah. The acting was good. There wasn't one character I could not like, and the difference with this drama and others is the fact that there isn't a "bad guy". In a sense, every main character had a good and dark side to their personalities, so it made the drama a bit more realistic in characterization. There wasn't only one type of music throughout this drama. It changed quite a bit. (I personally thought that there was better and more music in the first half of the drama) The music is what I like to call coffeeshop-esque. It had the feel of what you might here in a coffeeshop. I wouldn't really rewatch this drama. I was disappointed with the ending, so I wouldn't want to rewatch it, but on a nonbiased level I thought that the ending was nice. It was sweet and simple, and words weren't needed to explain how things ended(I wish there was more romance :P). Overall, Que Sera Sera is a decent drama, that I think should have more recognition. It's not the best in all aspects, but it kept me hooked until the very last episode where I literally stayed up all night to finish it. It was sweet, and dramatic. I think Que Sera Sera is worth watching if you're wanting to see a heartfelt romanctic sort of drama.

KdramaQueen89
Aug 12, 2011
The story is not out of the ordinary. However there was enough angst to keep me watching. The ending was a little too open ended for my liking.

The acting was exceptional because all the characters made me feel thier pain. Special shout out goes to Lee Kyu Han for his ability to portray a nice guy who can quickly change into a scary dude. I really liked him in smile you too. I want him in a starring role where he actually gets the girl though! I first seen Eric in Spy Myung Wol. I have to say I liked him in QSS even though he is a jerk for most of the time. He is starting to grow on me.

The music is hip and also emotional so it really went well with the scenes.

Rewatch value is low because the plot was not special enough for me to want to watch again.

Overall this drama is very good but was missing some things to make it spectacular...