va1entine._

A heartfelt but heartbreaking story

I currently just finished this movie and I must say it was absolutely beautiful the cinematography, acting, just everything. For myself personally I’m not much of a crier but this movie brought me to tears. It didn’t go the way I thought I did it, but my goodness it was so bittersweet it was perfect. I would do recommend this movie to anyone watch it with friends,family maybe even a loved one. Don’t be like me and watch it alone 🥲

most note worthy things
-The main characters
-Flowers
-Time

Maybe watch with some tissues near as well!
yeonnverse

A bittersweet journey but worth it.

This is solely my opinion and it's not necessary that you should agree with this.
------------------------------------------------------
"Drawing Closer" is about two 17 year olds who could relate to each other. They both are ill and not much time is left for them in this world. They also share the same interest.

I've been looking forward to this movie ever since Netflix released the teaser and it did not let me down. Also this is my 2nd time watching a Japanese show. I'm a sucker for melo movies or dramas so I could enjoy this to the end. This movie was literally heartbreaking and heartwarming at the same time. It really touched my heart and I'm sure it will touch yours too if you're watching this.

Story: I liked how there were no unnecessary stuff. The characters were nice and cute. No one was annoying and I loved how Haruna's friend and Akito were bickering all the time. I also liked the ending. It was bittersweet but still I loved how it was done that way and in most shows this isn't the case. It had emotional depth. I liked how it was unique in some way. Also those flowers 😭 Everybody got the spotlight and the leads were so cute.

Acting: Acting was good and I have no complaints. I did not feel any lack of chemistry or anything like that. Its my first time seeing these actors and I'm gonna watch some of their projects soon.

OST: Haven't heard it yet so I'll hear it when I'm free and then write a review on that.

Even if it was a 2 hour movie I enjoyed it till the end. The cinematography and production were remarkable and it did not feel rushed or anything. I also have no problem with the direction too. The background OSTs made this ven more painful. I recommend you watch this if you like heartbreaking/melo stuff. I usually don't cry watching fiction but this one was different. This made me sad but my heart is warm after this. . . It's a rare gem that evoked genuine emotions. This movie will always hold a special place in my heart. Anyway that's it. With that, I'm giving this movie a 9.0.

Thank you for reading! Have a great time watching if you are.

thecheesz_

If you need an outlet to cry, this is the one

A good sad movie is one that made me cry really hard and this is one of them. From the get-go, I already knew the two leads are highly going to die but even with this knowledge, I am still not mentally prepared for all the emotional scenes. Those really hit very hard especially when it’s about coming to terms to one’s demise which personally once thought I was going too. The movie has also had many warm moments that melts my hard. I really like how the leads find strength from one another to continue living. How I wish I can find one too… Even though the movie is 2hrs, I never thought there was any wasted moments which Japanese movies tend to veer towards too. All the performers acted brilliantly and the music really supports well with the scenes. I would totally watch this again if I want to cry.

XuZhaiZhai

You're in for a ride of emotions.

Drawing Closer:

It was a bittersweet movie with a tinge of happiness and hope. The Last Painting of Akito symbolizes his next life and longing to meet Haruna again.

Part of me want him to see gets cured and ends up with Ayaka and have a family of her just like Haruna wanted. This was the ending I wanted since I hoped that gets cured and have a family
But, they'll see each other again in Heaven and in next life.

It was very good movie and great ending. I really hope they do end up in their next life.

DeeVos

Beautiful story

Rewatched it twice already !

This story is well written, till the end no necessary drama, i liked it very much called my friends to watch it .
Because a good movie must be seen right ?
From the moment they meet, on the roof of the Hospital i knew this is a good one .
The story with the meaning of Gerberas, three,five , or six i never knew the story of flowers .
Mauicles

I have a good cry on this

Its a Japanese sad romance film. Very heartfelt and touching movie it brings the "Fault In Our Stars" movie vibe by giving us hope. I know that theya re both have hopeless journey in their battles but they find ways to be hopeful and be happy in their own simple ways. One is afraid in dying and the other one is looking forward to see heaven but when the FL meet the ML she make fondness of him and makes him feel that he has a special place in her heart and she felt she was special and gives her to be afraid of losing him. They both find ways to make memorable moments that they may treasure. They make sure they make special efforts to make sure that they brings joy to the both of them. They know that they feel loved with each other but had no chance on saying it. When the FL is gone the ML felt bad and sad for it but instead continue in fighting for his battle. Long enough he knew that the FL was making him special in her heart by seeing her last post on socmed the real symbol of the 3 stem of Gerberas. He was happy to know that he makes the FL feel special before she was gone. And not so long ago the ML has also is gone, he is gone happy for he knew that he makes the FL happy he feels happy and content with it.

kysrya

wonderful

I cried the whole time.
The thing is starting this movie you already know what to expect but we still love to make ourselves cry for some reason— I’m in a daze it was a beautiful world that they created in just a two hour film. It was heartwarming and sad at the same time I’m filled with emotions lol. I don’t have any complaints I just want to grab my dog and hug her like a teddy bear now. I love natsuki so I anticipated this release so much and I loved it I’d definitely watch it again it felt like a comfort film♡
bruss

A Beautifully Shot Romantic Journey.

The story is a bit cliché with many predictable romantic elements. It’s similar to animes like I Want to Eat Your Pancreas and reminded me of Anohana and other slow-burn series. While it shares similarities with other shows, it introduces enough unique elements to feel fresh and enjoyable . The acting is excellent, and the cinematography is beautifully shot, with a memorable main cast. It also strongly supports a theme with a positive message that I thought was delivered excellently.
DCook206

You know how it ends but it's still amazing.

The synopsis gives you most of the details. You go in knowing it's going to be sad. You prepare yourself. But they have little moments where it's funny and you see the growth of the 2 leads. You see the fondness they develop for each other. It makes your heart warm and you forget there's going to be a break in your heart.

It's beautifully written. The acting was a 10. What I recommend is you have tissue ready and if you have a significant other, watch it with them. Hugs help.
Hik the first

Heartfelt, heartbreaking movie that felt like it lacked something

Truth be told I have been anticipating the release of this movie for months as I'm a huge fan of nagase ren. I already read the synopsis so I also knew the movie was going to be heartbreaking so I prepared myself going in since it was evident I was in for a tearjerker.

This movie was initially marketed as a romance so I was expecting a tragic romance movie similar in nature to "your lie in April" or "I want to eat your pancreas" and it was but I felt like it left something to be desired. I wasn't fully satisfied with the portrayal of the romantic relationship of the two leads of this movie.

Even though they had spectacular chemistry and they are both amazing actors in their own right that both fulfilled the roles they were given in this movie to the best of their ability I felt like the movie was holding back on progressing them romantically by quite a bit. there was little to no romantic progression and a very vague confession towards the end that got the message across but I wanted something more direct.

The leads barely got involved romantically and even while the FL, Haruna, was alive she described their relationship as being "best friends" which kinda irked me because they were clearly romantically interested in each other yet they never confessed.

I feel like the "sad" part of the movie would have been further exemplified if they portrayed them more as a couple instead of best friends when this is very clearly a romance movie and the ending furthers this claim that their relationship can't really be described as platonic despite it being portrayed as such.

And so the entire movie I was waiting for that one special moment that would signify that yes..they are in love but it never came except the vague confession at the end when she had already passed away and that led to the movie feeling rather bland.

On the contrary, my main gripe with the movie aside everything else was pretty cool. I liked the sound design. The main OST is spectacular and a certified banger. The character development is superb and you really get to see the ML, Akito, really grow as a person in a realistic manner and the story itself progressed nicely and didn't feel rushed or slow, the pacing was just perfect for a movie of this nature.

Also like I mentioned before the acting was really good. I can't say I have ever seen a drama from the FL before but I am aware she's in "ao Haru ride" and after watching this movie and witnessing her performance I feel more inclined in watching more dramas/movies from her. As for nagase ren I was already a fan and I'm even m ore so now. I like how he can create such a great chemistry with his female costars and really make you root for him.

All in all, this was a pretty decent movie and I recommend you check it out for yourself as well to form your own opinion you might even like it more than me.

kkeiy

a beautiful but heart wrenching story

This was a beautiful movie. Tho the story was predictable but there's a part of me hoping that they will get better and live together. But here I am crying like an idiot 😭😭

This had me crying at 3 am. I'm so sad because they didn't even get the chance to confess their feelings to each other in person AAHH they deserve so much better !! The fact that she pretended not to know about him being sick 😭 The letter she posted just for him and the 3 gerberas !! PLS THAT SCENE TOOK ME OUT. They're literally meant for each other because wdym even the dates of their deaths are the same ?! The fact that she called his name for the last time but he was not there 😭😭 PLEASE MY HEART IS ACHING FOR THE BOTH OF THEM. Well, I hope that they can watch the fireworks together, draw & paint each other, and marry each other in another life :) Ayuka was the witness to their pure love for each other <3

For those who are reading this: Don't lose hope. Life may be hard but it won't always be cruel. Even if you might think that ending everything is the only option, there is still hope. There are people who genuinely care about you. You're not alone ! I'm rooting for your happy life that is full of love <33

Lighter

Beautiful & Emotional

A beautifully crafted movie with a story with messages which would turn viewer into some what a better person.

Thank you all the crew involved for making such a great piece of art!!💖

Here are some special things I loved about the movie :)

Cinematography and color grading is remarkable.. Some shots were like pictures drawn on a canvas, gave goosebumps. Massive respect for colorists and dop's.

Acting, script and editing was on point. Struck the emotions in the perfect manner and the movie went it a very great flow.

The background scores too went along really well!!

And yeah, a great script, great acting, beautiful cinematography, beautiful background scoring.. thats a good movie to watch right there!!

The chemistry between Hayasaka and Haruna was so sweet and the way they conveyed their feelings in the end, it was a lot to make a grown man cry :') The ending was also nicely done. The direction and narration of the film is excellent. The acting done by the actors is also so perfect like they really got into their characters and performed very well.

LEARNED: This movie shows exactly how well the character development goes along the way. It may start of a bit slow at the beginning but towards half of the movie, it makes the audience feel touching between the two main characters. Even though they don't express much about their feelings towards each other. The relationship between them feels so natural and genuine through their actions and the way they treated each other so well. Please prepare tissue because I really mean it. What I learned from this movie is to always appreciate peoples around you and cherish each and every moment with your loved ones while you are still able to.

But it's not just about sadness, it really makes you think about love in a whole new way. It shows you how complicated and messy relationships can be, but also how strong and beautiful they can be too.

The characters are so real, you feel like you know them personally. They go through so much, but you just want to root for them the whole time. It's one of those movies that just sticks with you, even after it's over.

You really get a sense that the director understands people, and they made a movie that's both beautiful to watch and emotionally powerful. The actors are amazing, they really bring the characters to life. I can't recommend this movie enough, it's a must-see!

Drawing Closer (2024) poster