I shared the meaning of some names on the comment section, and I thought that it might actually be fun to list all the name I can find meaning for in this show.

The village name and the cliff name "Pha Pun Dao" has 2 meanings.
1.Star-sharing cliff in standard thai
2.1000-stars cliff in northern dialect that they speak in this drama. (if you see thai sub, yeah, that's when they speak the dialect)
Btw, they said on ep1 that the village is near the border of Thailand. The bordering country, judging from the geography and google map, is probably Myanmar.
Also, "ph" is read as soft ordinary P sound, while "p" in "Pun" is read as hard P, like how GunATP said "Papii"

Character Names:
- "Phupha" means "cliff" (very original, lol... it's fitting)
- "Tian" means, of course, "philosopher" (they said it in the 2nd episode y'all)
- "Seetian" means "crayon." Noted that this "tian" in "seetian" means "candle" and is written differently in thai script from the philosopher "Tian." (so "see" is color, and candle color is crayon)

"Torfun Charoenpon"
- Torfun means "dream-weaving"
- Charoenpon means something like "fruitful" or literally "growth of result"
It's a rare instance of thai name where there's no nickname. There are some rare thai people with no nickname. They often have 1 or 2 syllable first name. Most thai people have 3 syllable first name as average.

The ranger gang:
- "Yod" means "peak" or "the highest point"
- "Rang" is probably eroded from "Farang" which means "westerner"
- "Nam," the doctor, means "water"

The villagers:
- The village chief Khama, his son Longtae, the shaman Joma, the kids Ayi, Meejoo and Inta, all of their name are not thai name. It's probably language of minor ethic group(s) that I cannot find a translation to.
- "Kalae" is a name of architectural part of the roof, mostly seen in northern area of Thailand and probably Myanmar too. https://f.ptcdn.info/578/057/000/p8pddthf26EaRdw2hrM-o.jpg
- "Khaonueng" literally means "steamed rice" which is how they say "sticky rice" in northern dialect.

Others:
- "Tul," White's character, means "Libra" as in the Zodiac. Yeah, it's the same name as Tul of Maxtul.
- Tian's dad... according to mydramalist... is Teerayut, which is kinda impossible to know the meaning without seeing the writing, but the best guess is "battle/war of philosopher." Basically, both Teera- and Tian is derived from the same word, probably of Sanskrit origin.
- Tian's mom, Lalita is "charming"
- Sakda, the guy in the ep5 preview means "power" (talk about ominous name...)

EDITED:
I've got the full name of some people.

Phupha's is Phupha Viriyanon... might be another case of no-nickname people.
Viriyanon means something like "joy of effort/labour/diligence" yeah... lowkey workaholic lol

Yod's is Yodchai Muengnuea.
Yodchai is "great man" or "highest point of manliness" if you wanna be literal, but great man is better imo.
Muengnuea is "northern city".... basically his full name is Great man of the north city... pretty much on the nose, lol. But not a weird name at all in thai.

Rang's full name is Alex Kirin. Yeah, Rang is probably the nickname people call him because he's westerner or something, and not the nickname he name himself. Kirin actually has a meaning in thai which means "mountain"

Doc's first name is Wasun, lastname unknown.
Wasun means "Spring" as in season. It's worth noting that it's often mistaken to mean "rain" by most thai... it's possible that the writer was thinking of that meaning since his nick name means "water."

Still have no idea what Tian's full name is... his first name might or might not actually be Tian.

People call him "Rang" because he's a halfie.  

Thank you, kairi_key!  Khop khun khrap! That is amazingly enlightening.  What a lot of fascinating detail - you've really added a lot to my understanding of the milieu, the setting, even the characters. Do you happen to know if the names are from the original novel - or created by the series writers? Anyhow, thanks again for putting so much effort into giving us these illuminating definitions and comments.

Thank you so much! ♥

jarabaa:

Thank you, kairi_key!  Khop khun khrap! That is amazingly enlightening.  What a lot of fascinating detail - you've really added a lot to my understanding of the milieu, the setting, even the characters. Do you happen to know if the names are from the original novel - or created by the series writers? Anyhow, thanks again for putting so much effort into giving us these illuminating definitions and comments.

I don't actually know about that tho. I haven't read the novel.

Doch Kabana:

Why is Yod called Yod in English? I'm pretty sure they call him Chang (elephant?) if I am not mistaken. Can you please explain?! Thanks! 

Ah right.

This "Chang" in falling tone means "mechanic" as in the pitch fall down at the end while "Chang" that means "elephant" is of high tone with the pitch slope up. People seem to call him "Chang Yod" for "mechanic Yod." He also introduced himself as such on EP2, telling Tian he can call him Chang Yod. It was probably shortened to just "Chang." Maybe he's the only mechanic in the village? 

It's also similar to how a lot of people call Dr.Nam just Doc, or "Mor/moh" and sometimes "Aai moh" or "Phi moh" from Tian. Both Aai and Phi means the same thing, as the word to call someone who's older than you that you can still consider them in the age range of siblings, with the former being of Nothern dialect, and the latter being of the Central/standard thai. To continue on the topic of these 2 words as more fun facts, notice how when Tian asked the children to address him as "Phi Tian/Seetian" no one actually said the word "Phi" and all of them just use "Aai Seetian" instead because it's in their dialect.

More fun facts...

Phupha's unit's name is "Phraphirun" which means "Lord/Divine/Sacred Varuna."
Varuna is a hindu god of sky and water: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varuna
His name, Varuna came to be known in Thai as Viruna, Virun and later became Phirun and was known to Thai people as god of rain instead.
"Phra" means "monk" but can also be put in front of words to give respect/reverence to its divinity.

I would love to know how they get their English nick names! 

Good, Locker, Type, etc

Lee C :

I would love to know how they get their English nick names! 

Good, Locker, Type, etc

Mostly from their parents, lol. Or maybe they give themselves that name.

These names are nick names that happened to be an English word. 

Pupha means mountain :)

Thank you for this very interesting excursion into Thai names!!   It helps foreigners enter a little bit more into the mindset of the creative team, and I love that.

kairi_key:
"Rang" is probably eroded from "Farang" which means "westerner"

I was thinking of a more American explanation for his name. I thought it was a shortened version of Ranger (like Park Ranger, or Army Ranger, aka Infantry).  Maybe I am I just reading too much into that nickname with the context of them being in the army? 

They are not in the army; they are forest rangers.   ตำรวจท้องถิ่น  (Damruat thamthin) doesn't sound anything like ranger.   .   If Rang's full name is Alex Kirin (as stated above), the idea that his nickname comes from "farang" is much more credible.  

Kairi_key is Thai, so I trust her interpretations. =)

Thank you again for compiling this,  Kairi_key!

I'm curious about some of the names.  Since some of them have such literal meanings in Thai, does a That speaker associate the name literally when hearing it? For example, the word 'cliff' is also a male name, in English. When I meet someone named Cliff, though, I don't associate both usages in my head...

j729:

I was thinking of a more American explanation for his name. I thought it was a shortened version of Ranger (like Park Ranger, or Army Ranger, aka Infantry).  Maybe I am I just reading too much into that nickname with the context of them being in the army? 

That's an interesting interpretation tho. I'd say that if the name really came from Ranger, the tone and vowel should've been closer to Ranger. The way they say Rang's name is the exact vowel and tone to the second syllable "rang" in the word "farang." (Actually, closer to how you would say the word "rung" in ring rang rung.) That's why I opted for Farang instead, especially how Thai language have a tendency to stress the last syllable of the word.

dllmzca:

Kairi_key is Thai, so I trust her interpretations. =)

Thank you again for compiling this,  Kairi_key!

I'm curious about some of the names.  Since some of them have such literal meanings in Thai, does a That speaker associate the name literally when hearing it? For example, the word 'cliff' is also a male name, in English. When I meet someone named Cliff, though, I don't associate both usages in my head...

For the question, I'd say it's the same. If it's a name, then it's a name. It depends on the person too. Some people like to think about these stuffs, and some people make it easier to think about the meaning of their name. Like, if I were to meet Phupha, I would have some comment in my head "you sure are strong and steadfast like a cliff(phupha), lol" because of how layman the vocab is and how his characteristic fits.

Thanks again for always being so helpful! =)