Caught the first episode when it first started, thought that it was quite funny though some parts weren't family friendly (anti-vice and when they introduced the comic artist). Took a break from it started again when I ran out of interesting dramas. Must say it got me interested again and laughing out loud during the funny parts. Don't think it is offensive since but can't get the jokes from the reggae dude scenes.

I know.  He's kinda a weird character.

Reading peoples comments, and I haven't even started watching the show yet so this says a lot. I would like to point out I'm black so I would like to provide a few points about 'Rasta' guy.  

Is he a Rastafarian? Because Rastafarianism is a religion and is there any indication he is practicing this that makes him a Rasta? If not, are ya'll only calling him a Rasta because of his dreads? If so, not all people who wear dreadlocks are Rastafarian. 

Also, why of all hairstyles would dreadlocks be chosen to be worn by the only character who is a bum and lazy? If you can't see the implications of this, you might have the privilege to ignore this.  But don't make other people's opinions and how it's uncomfortable for them insignificant because they're ruining your drama experience with realistic insight. If they find it uncomfortable how about stepping away and looking at it from their point of view. 

Korea has always had issues when it came to the black community. I lived there for a year and was even told by my co workers how they felt bad about having preconceived notions of me being black and how I was able to educate them to acknowledge and understand my experience. And this character ya'll are going on about is the exact reason this conversation needs to happen in the first place. 

I get where you are coming from. Let me know how you feel about the drama.

peachy-arsenic:

The way you say 'your own values' sounds like you're talking about religion or philosophy. Like we're talking about whether there is life after death or something that is mysterious and up to speculation. 

Portraying the only character based on a historically and CURRENTLY oppressed race of people as dirty is not personal values. It's plain and simple offensive and has nothing to do with 'values'. I am still watching the show (quite like it so far) but I ask that you please educate yourself before blindly brushing off a very valid reason that people might take offense. 

You said it well don’t worry about her/him not everyone has the same mindset ❤️

Im really enjoying this show so far!!...and I  don’t  see the controversy.... 

After ep6 I'm liking this show more and more - the tension between Dae Hyun and Saet Byeol is starting to build and I can't wait. I feel sorry for Yeon Joo though - family pressure and all so I hope she ends up  with Seung Joon cause they are a good match.

I wish this thread could be renamed Viewer Thoughts & Opinions:  Backstreet Rookie. I felt if I were to comment on this thread I would implicitly agree with the thread title. I do not. Is there even controversy about the show? It is a bit strong of a word to use for issues that I have seen in this drama so far. That is just my opinion, and only one sentence of what would surely be a lengthy discussion to further explain. I would also question whether a drama being controversial is a reason to not enjoy it, or for that to necessarily be a bad thing. I usually find issues in every drama I watch, but rarely does it get to the extent of me dropping it. This show is no exception. As of EP6, I am really enjoying the show and the development. One indicator of how much I like a show is if I look forward to watching it every airing. I really look forward to new episodes. Very entertaining in a not so serious way. I have read quite a few reviews of different dramas and comment sections as well, so I know not everyone will like it.  I would consider it to be at least partially a romantic comedy, which I enjoy. Usually I am more of a fan of the romance part, which I am, but the comedy has helped me stay engaged even more so. I feel it helps distinguish it from other romantic shows. I would like to add that I hope everyone can give the show a shot, and then decide for yourself on what you think of it. And if you feel inclined to read some articles, threads, or comments on the show, or any show for that matter, that is good too. I have, and I know that many people see things that I miss, or interpret things in a way I did not see at first. And if you do not like it, and choose not to watch it, that is okay too. For me, I am not a fan of melodramas. Too much melo in the real world for my liking. I like marsh-melo dramas though.

I like marsh-melo dramas too!

PamelaHannaEikleberry:

I like marsh-melo dramas too!

It is not something I want to watch all the time, but it is nice to have some of those 24-30 episode fluffy C-dramas available when you are in a bad mood or just tired of watching more serious dramas.

Me!..i like it coz it's funny.

Just finished ep8 and loved the ending. Can’t wait till ep9 airs. Ji Chang Wook and Kim Yoo Jung have great chemistry and play off each other very well. 

Still don’t see what the uproar is all about but then I’m not easily offended. 

ME NEITHER!. SOME PEOPLE GET OFFENDED IF YOU CROSS YOUR T'S THE WRONG WAY, AT LEAST THE WRONG WAY TO THEM.

Not to dismiss anyone's opinion of what is considered offensive, but you can find someone who would be offended by just about anything. Again, the show has issues, but what show does not. I do not think the problems are so egregious that I have thought about not watching it. I find the show keeps getting better. If you do not think it is, or you just want to show you disapproval by not watching it, that is okay too.  The first few episodes, I kept wanting him to go Healer/K2/Whirlwind Girl 2 on everyone. It reminds me of those dramas that feature a Plain Jane/Ugly duckling character, and they always seemed to be played by one of the most beautiful people on Earth and I struggle to get into the story because I just do not see it. It was hard to see him in the role of a typical FL being so passive and mild mannered. Now I see CDH instead of some of his other characters. I also think he does comedy well. Both help to make watching the show more enjoyable.