I am reposting as I see some people upset about the last episode. Here's a full summary of the end from the book and it's a very happy one! 

In the novel, XH goes to war and disappears and this happens shortly after SYR dies. He did not get married yet (they changed that in the drama). Everyone said he died in battle and his jade was returned to XFF. XFF waited for him despite everyone saying he died. She took care of the Su Manor and Ye ShiJie stayed by her side the whole time. A long time passed, and XFF couldn't move on. She decided to go to Qilin where XH reportedly was killed in battle to try to find his body., but it was reported his body couldn't be returned and was eaten by wolves. The army at the time had already returned to the capital and were victorious but XH never returned. XFF made her journey to Qilin and somewhere along the way, she and XH reunite!!!!! Ends up XH was actually badly injured and was blinded. The emperor didn't want him to reveal he was alive because he wanted all the rebels to reveal themselves. Also XH was very weak and if people knew he was alive, his life would be at risk. He learned to live amongst the commoners. He wanted to tell XFF he was alive and even went to visit her secretly but the emperor didn't trust XFF since she knew too much. He told XH, if XFF doesn't end up remarrying after a year, they can reunite....something like that. XH also felt he wasn't good enough for XFF at this point given he was blinded. The emperor agreed to cure his eyes but he wanted to see what XFF would do while she mourned for XH's death. If she remarries, she will have her killed since she knows too much. In the novel, the emperor has grown to be distrustful. When he returns, they are granted a marriage. So what we see in 40.5 happens after he goes missing and returns.

As a side tidbit, XH prepared all the dowry before he went to war and even embroidered the jewels himself on XFF's wedding gown. So sweet! After they got married, XH loved XFF very much and it's almost like his world revolved only around her. Whatever she loved, he loved. There was a sweet part where he goes early to line up for red bean cakes just like the commoners instead of asking the servants. He enjoyed doing everyday trivial things as he never had the chance to do that in the past. He also took XFF traveling as she hoped to see the world. They were a super sweet couple and XFF comments she never would have imagined she would meet someone who would love her as much as XH <3

Thank you for reposting this. Its nice to know the novel ending. It makes more sense rather than the artistic one given by the drama. There was enough drama in the drama we could have had a peaceful ending like a full episode of happy domestic times ,,,,not having your loyal life long companions /defenders KILLED OFF!!

Oh man would have loved to see this whole part in the drama. Would have been suspenseful even at the end. What a shame!

Thank you for book ending explanation! I really would have loved to see this  in the drama !!

Ohh He went blinded? This author really love blinding the main characters for some reason lmao XD Even in Rebirth of the Star General, the FL was also blinded by her family.

Thank you for this post 

Hello. I have a question for you. What timeline does “The Double” take place in? Was it the Ming Dynasty?
 Nightlady:
Hello. I have a question for you. What timeline does “The Double” take place in? Was it the Ming Dynasty?

I haven't started it yet, but judging from the clothes they are wearing, that's not Ming Dynasty. The Glory, an upcoming drama from the same author, their clothes reflected that they are in the Ming Dynasty. For The Double, I reckon it's Tang Dynasty, judging from the Head piece that Ministers are wearing to Court. I'm not an expert, so take it with a grain of salt.

Nightlady:

Check out tiff on Twitter.

they posted quite a lot about the double. From costumes to make up etc. 

https://x.com/tiff_ilosophy?s=21&t=VeIo60n7oCok5RTR6pygTg

Ugh book ending would have been so much better than what we got. 

tinygreencollective:

Thank you for reposting this. Its nice to know the novel ending. It makes more sense rather than the artistic one given by the drama. There was enough drama in the drama we could have had a peaceful ending like a full episode of happy domestic times ,,,,not having your loyal life long companions /defenders KILLED OFF!!

100% I absolutely agree with you! There was already so much heartbreak and so many deaths to endure. Having BOTH the closest companions killed in battle like that was devastating and unnecessary:/

Omg, thank you so much! I needed this as a closure. I am trying to move on by watching other C-Dramas but it doesn't help at all. I keep thinking about The Double subconsciously...

tinygreencollective:

The main portion of the novel ends similarly to the drama but just in a different setting so it's not an artistic take or rushed as people have been calling it. So when XH and XFF reunite that is the ending. There's an epilogue which explains XH's fake death and the deal XH made with Emperor Hong Xiao. This is similar to episode 40.5