Although it cannot be used as an always reliable gauge to decide whether to watch a drama or leave it be, I find myself attracted to certain settings less than others.
For instance, I'm not a lover of business related dramas, nor those which take place in the entertainment or fashion world. There's something about the shark-like competition in them that annoys me and can cool down my enthusiasm for a story.
Needless to say, there are dozens of other more important aspects playing a role in my liking a drama or not (material for another discussion), but I'm curious to find out if you too are either deterred or drawn to a show because of its setting, and why.

Thank you! :D
Good thread idea!:) I am attracted to history related Dramas.As long as the setting is made pretty real and believeable then I give the Drama a try. And even when the plot isn´t that interesting,as long as the actors are good and the setting made real then I like the hostorical Drama. But I usually don´t like fantasy related Dramas:)
Hmmm I do like a lot of different types of genres. But I find that ones with lots of beautiful architecture, or lots of beautiful land (trees, flowers, mountains, different countries/cultural scenes, oceans) catch my eye.
Im not that keen on horror or medical settings other than that i will give anything a go :D
Sleepninja wrote: Hmmm I do like a lot of different types of genres. But I find that ones with lots of beautiful architecture, or lots of beautiful land (trees, flowers, mountains, different countries/cultural scenes, oceans) catch my eye.

I agree Sleepy & sageuks are best for that :)
I have an aversion to pirates, the sea, and ships of any kind. I don't know why but this carries over into novels too.
I LOVE very dark,murky and gloomy kinda setting mostly Suspense or Psychological movies/dramas...but Horror is a NO-NO for me... I do sometimes like romantic flicks too(which has a believable story)...but i don't like too bright setting....
Mirichan wrote: Good thread idea!:)
I am attracted to history related Dramas.As long as the setting is made pretty real and believeable then I give the Drama a try.
And even when the plot isn´t that interesting,as long as the actors are good and the setting made real then I like the hostorical Drama.
But I usually don´t like fantasy related Dramas:)

Thank you. :D
It's funny, because I usually favour historical novels and adore historical movies, but I seem unable to watch a period drama. I know that I'm probably missing out on some amazing stories and beautiful direction, but something stops me. When it comes to Korean period dramas, they are invariably set in the Joseon era, which I honestly find a little repetitive. It's as if all Italian period dramas took place during the Roman empire, or all English dramas had someone sipping tea with Queen Victoria. LOL

Sleepninja wrote: Hmmm I do like a lot of different types of genres. But I find that ones with lots of beautiful architecture, or lots of beautiful land (trees, flowers, mountains, different countries/cultural scenes, oceans) catch my eye.

Totally agree on that!

goldenseal50 wrote: I have an aversion to pirates, the sea, and ships of any kind. I don't know why but this carries over into novels too.

That's interesting. Funny how certain things can't be really explained, and yet they are quite powerful.

reph wrote: I LOVE very dark,murky and gloomy kinda setting mostly Suspense or Psychological movies/dramas...but Horror is a NO-NO for me...
I do sometimes like romantic flicks too(which has a believable story)...but i don't like too bright setting....

Same here. In horror movies and dramas, blood seems gratuitous to me. It doesn't even scare me, really: it just disgusts me. On the other hand, a good psychological thriller puts me on edge but at the same time makes me think. I like those too. :)
And although I consider myself a romantic, I don't like fluff either. I once wanted to create an anti-cute club. LOL I shut it down because I was the only member. :P
I like those I call 'quiet' dramas - those that gave me a general feeling of calmness and has mellow overtone to it. Usually, but not necessarily, set in autumn. :) On the other hand, I approach dramas/movies/books with a horror setting (even those slightly-too-psychological ones) with the proverbial ten foot pole stuck out in front of me. :P
princessofsummer wrote: I like those I call 'quiet' dramas - those that gave me a general feeling of calmness and has mellow overtone to it. Usually, but not necessarily, set in autumn. :) On the other hand, I approach dramas/movies/books with a horror setting (even those slightly-too-psychological ones) with the proverbial ten foot pole stuck out in front of me. :P

Hahaha Awww You don't like horror? You and Kamzy seem to have a lot in common. XD
I really don't care about settings or genre. I will watch just about anything as long as the story is interesting.
Sleepninja wrote: Hahaha Awww You don't like horror? You and Kamzy seem to have a lot in common. XD

I don't. They scare the hell out of me. T.T
[QUOTE=amrita828;182031]Thank you. :D
It's funny, because I usually favour historical novels and adore historical movies, but I seem unable to watch a period drama. I know that I'm probably missing out on some amazing stories and beautiful direction, but something stops me. When it comes to Korean period dramas, they are invariably set in the Joseon era, which I honestly find a little repetitive. It's as if all Italian period dramas took place during the Roman empire, or all English dramas had someone sipping tea with Queen Victoria. LOL

LOL:) You may be right...when it was about Germany,hmm I wouldn´t know any specific period but that´s right.U guess it´s fortunate that I got to like that period and I remind of many aspects too now because I have seen so many different Dramas about them.
I even watched a few hostorical chinese Drama even though I only watch historical then and nothing else:p
And that just because the old culture is so interesting!! In the progress I got more critically because I am informed already and in the end I don´t have so many intersting Dramas of that genre anymore because I have watched about everything already xDD
In my opinion you really miss something but you are the one to decide.In the event when you may to think anout watching one then please feel free to ask me because I would have many interesting recommendations.
Even though I can understand you because I have that too from time to time:)
princessofsummer wrote: I don't. They scare the hell out of me. T.T

AHHHHHHHHH I don´t like horror too >_<
Mirichan wrote:
LOL:) You may be right...when it was about Germany,hmm I wouldn´t know any specific period but that´s right.U guess it´s fortunate that I got to like that period and I remind of many aspects too now because I have seen so many different Dramas about them.
I even watched a few hostorical chinese Drama even though I only watch historical then and nothing else:p
And that just because the old culture is so interesting!! In the progress I got more critically because I am informed already and in the end I don´t have so many intersting Dramas of that genre anymore because I have watched about everything already xDD
In my opinion you really miss something but you are the one to decide.In the event when you may to think anout watching one then please feel free to ask me because I would have many interesting recommendations.
Even though I can understand you because I have that too from time to time

I will feel free! :D
Perhaps I am under the wrong impression that every period drama is - in a way or another - about injustice and intrigues: chancellors plotting to kill the prince, warlords scheming to usurp the land, evil concubines poisoning the tea... lol. While in a movie or book the issue is soon solved, for better or worse, a drama is so long I have to endure the scheming much longer and I'm not sure I can stand it.
I'm not sure I'm making sense either... :P