mermysteries:
we really dodged a bullet, didn't we?

we did, seriously. it's much better to have a few angry bl stans than have them all watch the show not caring for the sapphic representation at all and taking every opportunity to overshadow the girls.

wait MILK is queerrrr????

AthenaTheStorierX:

We discuss anything here! Of course, since we’re on MyDramaList, if we spend too much time on non-dramaland GLs, one of us might jump in to steer the conversation to dramaland. But so far that hasnt happened.  

Im also (slowly but surely) planning on putting together a discord that will be much more general sapphic media focused.

Thanks, got it! The discord is a great idea, will be looking forward to it :)

thatonewhothrives:

She reportedly wrote on an IG story that she doesnt mind about gender and just wants someone to stay by her side. Possibly meaning she’s pansexual.

thatonewhothrives:

yes, shes my gf!! :D

found the screenshot!

kiyois back scrubber:
we did, seriously. it's much better to have a few angry bl stans than have them all watch the show not caring for the sapphic representation at all and taking every opportunity to overshadow the girls.

it is!! i still get angry every now and then, but if it wasn't for the cast change i would be throwing hands, im so serious

I personally would've been fine either way.

On one hand, a full GL with multiple GL couples, just like BL gets to get. With GL ships we're all so excited for.

On the other hand, i get the strategic advantage of wanting a BL couple in there to help transfer over fans in GMMTV's first GL title with a GL main couple. At the time that they first announced 23.5, there weren't many full GLs being produced, and GMMTV wasn't sure about how high a demand it would have (afterall, the word on the street for years about why BL was so popular and not GL, was about a lack of demand). So they had a rising popular BL couple as a side couple, one that BL fans WOULD watch because of their rising popularity and the fact that they don't have many titles out rn to fill that desire for more. 

Putting the BL couple in there was a smart strategic move for views and hype for the information they had at the time. But, they underestimated how enthusiastic and prevalent the GL fanbase is, and how much we want a full GL, with multiple GL couples. 

AthenaTheStorierX:
Putting the BL couple in there was a smart strategic move for views and hype for the information they had at the time. But, they underestimated how enthusiastic and prevalent the GL fanbase is, and how much we want a full GL, with multiple GL couples. 

it's kind of a complex issue. my problem is more the public's reaction to a bl couple in a gl show, than the bl couple itself. the public that would watch 23.5 for the bl side couple, would claim that any success it got would be due to the presence of the bl couple. that happened with the pilot for 23.5, multiple people were saying they would only watch it for g4, that MilkLove couldn't be successful on their own. i understand it from a marketing point of view, but absolutely hate having the spotlight taken away from the sapphic storylines in a moment where we need these so much.

in future gls, i wouldn't mind bl side couples. i think it's realistic that queer people have other queer friends, of course. but for the very first gmmtv gl (and second!! thank god for pluto), having multiple gl couples and being successful because of these couples, it's essential to show that gl can and will compete with bl shows in the market. once that's established, it will be different, bc no one will be able to pin the success of these gls on the bl side couples. 

it's very interesting to watch this unfold in real time, with the rise of gl shows. i'm really glad o have a place to discuss these topics. just want to make clear that any difference in opinion i might have  doesn't take away from that, i really appreciate seeing everyone's point of view on this!

w5nda:

Joining :)

welcome!! :D

mermysteries:
it's kind of a complex issue. my problem is more the public's reaction to a bl couple in a gl show, than the bl couple itself. the public that would watch 23.5 for the bl side couple, would claim that any success it got would be due to the presence of the bl couple. that happened with the pilot for 23.5, multiple people were saying they would only watch it for g4, that MilkLove couldn't be successful on their own. i understand it from a marketing point of view, but absolutely hate having the spotlight taken away from the sapphic storylines in a moment where we need these so much.

100% agree. It frustrates me when anybody touts "i only watched it for the BL couple" without even giving the overarching story a shot *pointed glare at a few comment sections in particular*

mermysteries:
in future gls, i wouldn't mind bl side couples. i think it's realistic that queer people have other queer friends, of course. but for the very first gmmtv gl (and second!! thank god for pluto), having multiple gl couples and being successful because of these couples, it's essential to show that gl can and will compete with bl shows in the market. once that's established, it will be different, bc no one will be able to pin the success of these gls on the bl side couples. 

YES. Queer people gravitate to other queer people, even when closeted or not aware. I know I did. My sister certainly did. And many of my acquittances did. Lol, even online you tend to. It's just subconscious lol. 

mermysteries:
it's very interesting to watch this unfold in real time, with the rise of gl shows. i'm really glad o have a place to discuss these topics. just want to make clear that any difference in opinion i might have  doesn't take away from that, i really appreciate seeing everyone's point of view on this!

It's been fun watching queer media in general unfold in real time. I watched BL do so. And now I get to watch GL too, and at a faster rate if I do say so myself.

w5nda:

Joining :)

Welcome!! ^-^ Make yourself at home!

@Athena i cant quote your post on mobile lol but really, it's so funny how many of my school friends turned out to be queer. we flock together before we even know it ourselves!

Another GL was announced... but at what cost

Blank, by Chao Planoy (same author as GAP), will be adapted into a drama.

It follows Sam's older sister, Nueng, and her love story. However, she's 34 and her love interest is 18. I think that's where I draw the line folks... the one GL i will not be supporting.

mermysteries:

Another GL was announced... but at what cost

Blank, by Chao Planoy (same author as GAP), will be adapted into a drama.

It follows Sam's older sister, Nueng, and her love story. However, she's 34 and her love interest is 18. I think that's where I draw the line folks... the one GL i will not be supporting.

what the.......