Ok so this is a bit random but it’s something I really notice in dramas -

there seems to be so many when either characters don’t wear seatbelts or putting them on is a big performance for the ML keeping their woman safe (lol).....are seatbelts not generally used in Korea/China?

it’s illegal not to use them here and I find it so distracting, I’m always watching going “put your seatbelt on!” (You’ll be safer when the inevitable traffic accident happens :D) 

Seat belts are compulsory for the back seats but must be used for the both front seats in China to my knowledge. I believe Korea was the same, however I almost certain I heard that has changed and now everyone must wear them. I think it's been about a year or so, so it's a fairly new ruling.

Thanks, that’s interesting! They’ve been compulsory here (New Zealand) since the late 1970s so it’s just natural to wear one. It’s one of the little things in dramas that’s really different for me. My dad has a vintage car (1950s) which is exempt as it can’t have seatbelts safely installed and it is so weird and scary to go driving without one :D

Beffels:
Thanks, that’s interesting! They’ve been compulsory here (New Zealand) since the late 1970s so it’s just natural to wear one. It’s one of the little things in dramas that’s really different for me. My dad has a vintage car (1950s) which is exempt as it can’t have seatbelts safely installed and it is so weird and scary to go driving without one :D

Same! UK was the early 80s though, so similar time, just a little later. It's baffling to watch/hear stories about people not wearing seat belts - and totally bugs me in dramas even knowing the laws. Sounds like a cool car, but I totally I would not want to ride it without seat belt. I'm that "even parked I must have a seat belt on" type though haha.

Of the 200+ K Dramas I've watched, every one involving cars has featured seatbelt wearing - often with characters being reminded to wear them. It's also become a "romantic" trope with the male lead leaning across the female lead to fasten her seatbelt. Airbags, otoh, are a very different story. I can think of perhaps TWO K Dramas in which airbags deployed after a crash. Often the male lead restrins the female in the event of a sudden stop by extendnig his arm. That's literal superman stuff, of course, but there are countless K Dramas featuring as critical plot points accidents that simply would not happen if the vehicles had airbags

That outstretched arm always make me laugh! Especially when used completely seriously because it’s not like it would achieve anything in case of a serious accident (if you could move fast enough anyway)