Skyesinger:

Hi, I'm new here. Gonna post my May reading plans later on. :)

Just wanted to get my two words in regarding Shakespeare. XD... Hamlet is his longest play if you go by word count. Non-comedy and short would be "Timothy of Athens" and definitely the bloody "MacBeth". ;)

If you still wanna read/watch Hamlet, I recommend the 1996 movie version directed by Kenneth Branagh who is famous for his Shakespeare to screen adaptation. He even turned one play into a musical. XD

welcome \o/

so his plays are really short if the longest is only 144 pages XD

Kapetria:

welcome \o/

so his plays are really short if the longest are only 144 pages XD

Weeell, you gotta consider the times when it was written. Was quite lengthy for back then. ;)

Also, plays don't need descriptions of the surroundings and people's thinking process, so you get only a fifth or so of the usual book length. loool

I got the whole collection at home, in a single book with very thin pages. Was on sale while I was visiting London a few years back and I was like... whatever, better than buying the books seperately.

Skyesinger:

Just wanted to get my two words in regarding Shakespeare. XD... Hamlet is his longest play if you go by word count. Non-comedy and short would be "Timon of Athens" and definitely the bloody "MacBeth". ;)

If you still wanna read/watch Hamlet, I recommend the 1996 movie version directed by Kenneth Branagh who is famous for his Shakespeare to screen adaptation. He even turned one play into a musical. XD

Welcome to our book club! 

I may give the movie you suggested a try - Kenneth Branagh never disappoints :)

Skyesinger:

Weeell, you gotta consider the times when it was written. Was quite lengthy for back then. ;)

Also, plays don't need descriptions of the surroundings and people's thinking process, so you get only a fifth or so of the usual book length. loool

yeah, obviously XD

and there is very long plays out there too

penel:

Welcome to our book club! 

I may give the movie you suggested a try - Kenneth Branagh never disappoints :)

Please do. I also highly recommend his other Shakespeare movies. I love his "Much Ado about Nothing" the most.

@Penel and @Sony_t, hope you both recover soon *hugs*

April Update for Book of the Month - Robert Kuok: A Memoir

For my reading update, I'll need to continue my April book in May.  

I'm halfway through and so far it's been a pretty engrossing yet quite a heavy read.  There's much factual content that leads to some additional self research on the side.  The historical aspect is quite fascinating so I'm learning about key events as well and not just about the man. 

Skyesinger:

Please do. I also highly recommend his other Shakespeare movies. I love his "Much Ado about Nothing" the most.

I've watched this one and liked it :)

WandereR:

@Penel and @Sony_t, hope you both recover soon *hugs*

April Update for Book of the Month - Robert Kuok: A Memoir

For my reading update, I'll need to continue my April book in May.  

I'm halfway through and so far it's been a pretty engrossing yet quite a heavy read.  There's much factual content that leads to some additional self research on the side.  The historical aspect is quite fascinating so I'm learning about key events as well and not just about the man. 

I hope all my health issues will be resolved in May and I won't encounter any new challenge :)

Some books need more of our time and some extra effort, but it's okay as long as they worth the journey.

penel:

I hope all my health issues will be resolved in May and I won't encounter any new challenge :)

Some books need more of our time and some extra effort, but it's okay as long as they worth the journey.

That's so true, I agree wholeheartedly. 

I hope May will be a fantastic month for you and that you'll be back to 100%!  :) 

WandereR:

That's so true, I agree wholeheartedly. 

I hope May will be a fantastic month for you and that you'll be back to 100%!  :) 

❤❤❤

Skyesinger:

Just wanted to get my two words in regarding Shakespeare. XD... Hamlet is his longest play if you go by word count. Non-comedy and short would be "Timon of Athens" and definitely the bloody "MacBeth". ;)

Welcome to our little corner :-)

I read Macbeth a few years back and loved it. Strangely, I've never had any interest in watching movie versions of the plays. And I can't stand musicals! Other than reading a play, I would prefer a live performance (or watching a recording of a live performance). I've only seen King Lear live. I once had opportunity to see Hamlet live but I fell sick and had to sell my ticket to a friend; it's been years and I'm still upset about it :P

I'll go with Hamlet for now, might as well get the longest out of the way :D

Stats for Hamlet from my Shakespeare app. The number of lines is about 600 less than what I'm seeing when I do a quick Google search ... weird.

@Kapetria and @LucianYaz: It was The Grand Sophy--an absolute fun to read. I'm currently reading Faro's Daughter, which just feels flat in comparison.

kura2ninja:

@Kapetria and @LucianYaz: It was The Grand Sophy--an absolute fun to read. I'm currently reading Faro's Daughter, which just feels flat in comparison.

Omygosh, yes, The Grand Sophy is a great read! It was my very first Georgette Heyer; I loved it so much that I went on to get all her books. You're making me want to do a reread :XD

I'm waiting to hear your thoughts on Faro's Daughter; I read it quite a while back and don't remember much of the details, but I see in my records that I gave it a low rating (while I gave The Grand Sophy 5 stars :D).