Kate:
But I picked it up after I finished university, and while it was not a nice read (it's not suppose to be), it definitely sends a strong message. Also, it's SLOW. It takes the longest time for anything to happen, but all the exposition is important and without it, the ending would have less of an impact. 

I agree with everything. I read 1984 on my own as an adult and while it's not scintillating, I don't find it boring, but very thought provoking.  I read it a while back and have been meaning to reread but can never get around to it.

One book I've been trying to read forever and always stop at the first chapter is Brave New World; IDK but the first chapter always freaks me out and I can't move on past there. I do have it down for this year's reading goals, but all the way forward in July.

I've challenged myself to read one a book a month from the monthly lists in Jane Mallison's Book Smart. For January, I read Beowulf (the Seamus Heaney translation) and Brave New World is the book I chose for July's category, Stranger in a Strange Land: Unaccustomed Places, Real and Fancied. She has 10 books to choose from each month - if I read one book each month, I can keep the challenge going for 10 years :P

LucianYaz:
I agree with everything. I read 1984 on my own as an adult and while it's not scintillating, I don't find it boring, but very thought provoking.  I read it a while back and have been meaning to reread but can never get around to it.

When I finished the book, with that terrifying ending, I legit did not know what to do with myself. This is for sure not a book that is suppose to make you feel better. I was just angry by the end of it. 

LucianYaz:
One book I've been trying to read forever and always stop at the first chapter is Brave New World;

Never read it. But I have to say, There are so books that are extremely hard to get into. I had that problem with Crime and punishment, even tho I did end up liking it a lot when I finished it.  

Kate:
Never read it. But I have to say, There are so books that are extremely hard to get into. I had that problem with Crime and punishment, even tho I did end up liking it a lot when I finished it.  

And sometimes not just hard to get into, but to even continue: David Copperfield (20% progress for over 9 months) is giving me the stink eye. I find that the book is playing on my emotions too much; everything either makes me angry or makes me want to cry, all the time.  And, somehow, that makes the story feel cheap. and I just want to drop it. 

LucianYaz:

And sometimes not just hard to get into, but to even continue: David Copperfield (20% progress for over 9 months) is giving me the stink eye. I find that the book is playing on my emotions too much; everything either makes me angry or makes me want to cry, all the time.  And, somehow, that makes the story feel cheap. and I just want to drop it. 

Some books seem unnecessarily heavy. There are so many things happening, you feel all the emotions, but you also find everything in it meaningless. 

justanotherrey:

Hey Ashu!

I would love to recommend 'People We Meet On Vacation' that I read just this month, it's also this cliche romance that did the deed for me after 'Love Hypothesis'. It's about two friends, Poppy and Alex who go on vacation every summer break like a traditon but they've not talked to each other for 2 years due to a conflict. So Poppy decides to mend their friendship by asking him to join her for a vacation for a week.

Tropes: Friends to lovers, opposites attract, second chance romance

Would you mind if I send a friend request on goodreads?

Oh that one seems like fun! Added to my ptr, thanks! Sure! Here's my Goodreads account : https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/142517434-ashu

Kate:

yo, when I had to read it in high school I dropped it after 10 pages.

But I picked it up after I finished university, and while it was not a nice read (it's not suppose to be), it definitely sends a strong message. Also, it's SLOW. It takes the longest time for anything to happen, but all the exposition is important and without it, the ending would have less of an impact. 

Anyway, for me it was hella scary read that made me angry. But I totally understand struggling with it and it feeling boring for others, since it was like that for my first try too. 

Yeah it is supposed to be an important story not an entertaining one, i got to know that halfway through the story lmao . I do find the whole dystopian world fascinating and like you said, scary but i guess i expected some action to happen . I'll still read it to the end but it might take 2-3 more months to finish it lmao 

I would like to join. A book I read recently and that I can recommend is Iron Widow by Xiran Jay Zhao. It's a science fiction tale with a strong woman lead. A little bloody but a page turner. 

I like to read science fiction, fantasy and slice of life. I read about 3-4 books a month. I like to join reading groups because it motivates me and it's so insightful to learn from the perspectives of other readers.

lukeka:

I would like to join. A book I read recently and that I can recommend is Iron Widow by Xiran Jay Zhao. It's a science fiction tale with a strong woman lead. A little bloody but a page turner. 

I like to read science fiction, fantasy and slice of life. I read about 3-4 books a month. I like to join reading groups because it motivates me and it's so insightful to learn from the perspectives of other readers. 

Welcome, dear friend! Glad you joined us :)
Let's motivate each other to read more good books this year! 

Hello:) I would like to join, 

some of my favorite books which I read recently are 

- The kite runner

-The book thief

-mockingbird by Katherine 

-the giver 

Suckerforhappyendings:

- The kite runner

-The book thief

-the giver 

Welcome to our book-family, dear friend!

Suckerforhappyendings:

- The kite runner

-The book thief

-the giver 

Welcome~ Welcome~~

I've been wanting to read a nice found family trope book for a while so if anyone's got any recommendations pls tell me a few 

Suckerforhappyendings:

I've been wanting to read a nice found family trope book for a while so if anyone's got any recommendations pls tell me a few 

Is there a specific genre you're looking for? If not, the first one that comes to mind for me is Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo, one of the best and most enjoyable books I've read ever! I plan on rereading it this year because I miss it so much!

LucianYaz:

Oh my gosh this! I've been at 42% in Great Expectations since ... I think last May. That's embarrassing, I don't usually do that with books but not enough is happening for me to want to keep going and I'm so disappointed since I genuinely thought I'd love this book. How can this be the same author as one of my favorite books ever aka A Tale of Two Cities?