Sweet liar by Jude Deveraux

4.5 - 6 /10

Whatever score this novel has scored, it simply because of its genre. (Sorry @ lucian)

I wud stick to what I had said abt it when I was halfway through.

I did not feel chemistry at all, n physical intimacy I felt author had forcedlfully wrote it down.

Side story was not gelling with the main line of flow, i would try what I felt......

E.g. in the novel,  "Gone with the wind", the side story of civil-war was complementary to the main love-story that was getting developed between Rhett and Scarlett.

Here, i did not feel any connection between 'search mission granny' and developing romance.

aenoee:
Whatever score this novel has scored, it simply because of its genre. (Sorry @ lucian)

I already feel bad enough for recommending it, so no need to apologize! I gave up at chapter 6 :P 

It's my birthday month and I want to read something epic, so Nalini Singh is called for. I have unread books in two of her main series, Psy-Changeling/Trinity (Storm Echo and Resonance Surge) and Guild Hunter (Archangel's Resurrection). I'll start with Storm Echo and hope I can get Resonance Surge at the library soon after. I'm not keen on Archangel's Resurrection because the ML in that one always came across to me as a grumpy old man and I can't imagine him in a romantic relationship at all.

@ Lucian, title sounding quite heavy stuff.....will pass for the time being. 

AND, pls do not feel bad for recommending the novel sweet liar to me. Your intentions were good, it is what matters in the end. And u also forgot the time period from which it was set, n was not meant for today's era. So chill.

Maybe it's time for me to get back into the saddle after a long break and be active in the club again.

Well, this month, I did manage to read Mario Puzo's The Godfather, yes the famous novel behind one of the most popular movies of all time.

The reason as to why I decided to check it out was that Francis Ford Coppola stated that the book was very sensationalist and had a lot of NSFW motives. Indeed, there is a great variety of subplots that never made the film (exploitation in Hollywood, Sonny's lover having an operation and becoming a stockholder in Vegas, for example), but characterisation of the main protagonists is also significantly different.

Don Vito Corleone in the novel seems like a benevolent version of the Almighty. The only man who can get things done. The man who turns the impossible into possible. The problem is that Don Vito does not exist in the world of today and he never did. He is a fictional character, but this did not stop many readers from admiring him throughout the years.

Michael Corleone, on the other hand, has very dire characterisation and is not given a lot of space in the bulky novel. Al Pacino really reinvented this character on the big screen with his performance. Pacino's Michael is more gentle, more vulnerable than the one in the novel.

All in all, I don't regret having read the novel. In fact, it inspired me to read more of Mario Puzo's works.

@ prevenant,

Wow!  Did not c godfather through this angle.

Your description of it,  making me  go through it again.

aenoee:

@ prevenant,

Wow!  Did not c godfather through this angle.

Your description of it,  making me  go through it again.

Pls Read, c = read

I could have been more detailed with my thoughts, but I just wrote what I thought from the top of my head.

So, I believe that Brando and Pacino made these characters more human and more relatable in the film, but in general I liked the atmosphere of the novel and I could vividly picture the most important scenes that were adapted in the film. And it was great to discover more of the backstories: We get to know more about Luca Brasi, Carlo Rizzi, Lucy Mancini, and more.

There was also a touching subplot about Michael meeting an old servant in Italy, and she told him her own story about the Godfather. Perhaps the most touching/disturbing scene in the novel (at least for me) is the old consigliere dying in a hospital and begging the Godfather to give him life again (as if he had the capacity to do that). If I remember correctly, this was was shot by Coppola but it never made it to film.

If I have the time, I will certainly start reading Puzo's The Sicilian.

I had read this  novel long back ( m nt much into reading, but this novel had made an never ending wave n at the top of bestseller novels list, n  then these movie trilogy had asked me to go for it).

U r right,  when u said something about the difference between the novel and the movie. 

( my personal opinion,  u become more close to the book than drama, even though sense sight is more strong than rest of the senses.)

But while reading, u tend to analyse more,  your brain is more active/ it participates more, and you are free to visualise the scenario. 

( I really feel sad sometimes I couldn't spend much time of my life on reading (extra-academic ofcourse lol).

Even today, i still remember crystal clear the -

Fish, assassination at railway crossing, vito's God like image, family bonding, names like Luca, sollozo.

As far movie goes, 

Actors (both brando n pacino (btw, i liked pacino in movie scent of the woman also) did justice to the description given in the novel).

After reading you, now, I also recall that Michael portrayed by pacino was looking less violent ( I think the expression through his eyes did the job of making him look like that)

I personally get very restless/agitated/increased palpatation, whenever betrayal word comes either in novel or in movie,  and here it came quite often.

But I do recall, i had thoroughly enjoyed the novel n movies.

Thanks for making me reliving those moments prevenant

Adding, ‘The Sicilian’, plan to read list.

So much to read n watch .

But, I think before that, I need to refresh a bit abt godfather…… hmmmm.

Another month heading out the door---

This was a small book, but I enjoyed reading about her short, tragic life.

This book was a fascinating look at Virginia Hall who lost a leg during a hunting accident and still went on to become The Spy in France during WWII working with the British and assisting the French Resistance.  She helped blow up RRs and weapon depots, rescued captives, and guided  Allied pilots who had been shot down out of the country all while the SS was hot on her trail.    What a woman!

namsham:

I've been seeing the ride of her life pop up in so many places. i might pick it up

It's an interesting read but also one from a time gone by.  I enjoy reading stories about women making extraordinary journeys.

The Butterfly:

It's an interesting read but also one from a time gone by.  I enjoy reading stories about women making extraordinary journeys.

Add me

New to this club! 

I would like to read The Hunger Games (yes, i seriously haven't read it yet) and also Mo Dao Zhu Shi (the translation feels a little iffy, perhaps i'll be brave enough to read the chinese version?). Wish me luck guys! 

cdramaqueen:

New to this club! 

I would like to read The Hunger Games (yes, i seriously haven't read it yet) and also Mo Dao Zhu Shi (the translation feels a little iffy, perhaps i'll be brave enough to read the chinese version?). Wish me luck guys! 

Welcome to our Book Club family, dear friend! 

It's never too late to read more titles :)

Hi Everyone,

I only managed to read one book last month, but it was fantastic, especially if you're a fantasy/romance lover.

★★★★☆

Fourth Wing by Rebecca Yarros - It's about FL who was been training to become a scribe her whole life, but right before becoming one, she is forced to join a trial and enroll as a dragon rider instead. It is a very dangerous path as she could die in many ways during the trial and her training.  FL's mom is a high ranking general, so there are losts of threats against FL's life, not to mention the son of her family's arch nemesis attends the academy too.  What I mainly liked about it is that FL is physically very weak and tiny in the beginning, so people look down on her or try to eliminate her as weakest link.  However, she becomes so strong by the end. She was always smart to begin it.  It's an entertaining fantasy with good comedy too.

p.s. Why am I just learning that the genre New Adult exists?  I need MORE New Adult fantasy plz. For now, I will settle with Young Adult Fantasy as being my favorite genre.  This book is New Adult fantasy, by the way.