Hi,

one of the things I am very interested in is how the world we are living in is constantly changing due to globalization, more specifically, how the different cultures are intermingling and mixing.

Something “Western" is of course most likely being associated and represented in dramas/movies in English, as it is the Lingua Franca, and America has a huge influence in Asia (e.g. Japan and South Korea). That’s why it’s so much more interesting for me to spot references to other countries and cultures, here in this thread Germany.

I just stumbled upon the "japanized" foreign word "Daneihon" derived from the German word "die Ernährung" in episode 49 of the asadora Manpuku . It was a pretty interesting scene from minute 2 onwards, as it explained the stages of assimilation to the Japanese language!

I'm looking forward to your sightings!

And of course there's that famous Japanese word, arubaito (part-time job), which is a loanword from the German arbeit :p

In A Forest of Wool and Steel a  concert piano gets tuned. In the dialogue the Japanese tuner speaks better German than the supposedly German pianist, though 

When I was  watching New Year Blues I was blown away with how excellent one of the actors' German was  - then I looked him up and found out he was born and raised in Köln!️?

Are you looking for K-movies set in Germany as well?

In "How Are You Bread" ep.3 there was a German pastry (forgot the name now) and they used it's original name and said how to make it the traditional way.

Popcxqueen:

Are you looking for K-movies set in Germany as well?

Yes, do you know of any?

The MC of Snowdrop was raised in Germany according to the summary.

The 2018 film Unfinished (also known as Departure and a few other names) was set and filmed in Berlin and based on a true story.

https://mydramalist.com/23848-in-the-line-of-fire

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unfinished_(film)

Not sure if this is what you’re looking for but…

Taxi Driver -the journalist character is German.

Youth of May -the FL plans to go to Germany. 

Signal -one of the clues is a German language book. One of the characters was secretly living in Germany 

In ep 5 of Jimi ni Sugoi! Koetsu Garu Kono Etsuko a famous stylist going by the name Fräulein Tokiko has a guest role. Although this moniker is a German (nowadays outdated… long story) form of adress, all her international context of where she is coming from revolves around Italy, as do the other characters' actions in this episode’s plot. Maybe that’s just where she’s currently living (she speaks Italian), or maybe that's mixing up Europe's nationalities and cultures on the filmmakers side…

In King2Hearts, first ep, the family of the king watch the fall of the Berlin Wall at TV. Are you interested in this kind of references as well? There were quite a few KDramas with the notion that Koreans feel close to Germany because their country is divided in a similar way.

And of course, the Japanese word for part time job is the same word in Korea, "Arbeit".

In Ep. 3 of Family: The Unbreakable Bond (2023) the actor Sang Hyuk (ML) is talking on the phone in  German. I was impressed by the length of his text, though with his pronunciation not so much,  to be honest - it was only intelligible with subtitles. In ep 4 the ML is even teaching his little  primary school aged daughter to say "Guten Abend"

https://mydramalist.com/720931-sacred-divorce

The ML has studied music in Germany, there are several German references.

Usokon

the 2FL is supposedly  able to speak 5 languages. Her german sounds native, apart from the grammar in the situation  where she should either have used first person plural or third person plural (instead of  2nd  person singular "Entschuldige  mich, bitte." as she was standing up and leaving ) because she was speaking in a business setting with at least two people at the table. well ok, just  one foreigner could have been German (finally a foreign actor cast in a role speaking  his mother  tongue) , though it then would be inconsiderate to speak in a language not  everyone understands