perfect:

Aw, that's a good thing for most horror watchers, most actually miss being immune to it because they can't be scared anymore. The fun's in the scare! :) And yes movies like those ...also like technology gone wrong or things that make earth feel so small...those things really scare me haha. 

When you put it that way, I can understand why it’s scary. I do have this thinking about how technology can go wrong. Like, what if our smart homes decided to go wonky and we’ll be trapped in our houses with no way to escape? What if the A.I. that we humans have affectionately created, goes berserk one day?

Krystale Mitaesa:

oh yes, it's horrified I assure you. tiktok opens my horizons by foretelling those stories (not me, others did so I'll share the link later)

I… will probably not open that link tonight coz it’s 30mins to midnight here >.< 

I’ll do a small write up on one of Singapore’s “horror theme park” maybe tomorrow coz I don’t wanna scare myself silly while searching for photos XD

awkward potato:

I… will probably not open that link tonight coz it’s 30mins to midnight here >.< 

I’ll do a small write up on one of Singapore’s “horror theme park” maybe tomorrow coz I don’t wanna scare myself silly while searching for photos XD

wait, my last question: are you from P, or I, or S?

Krystale Mitaesa:

wait, my last question: are you from P, or I, or S?

I’m from Singapore :)

awkward potato:

I’m from Singapore :)

oh, I'm your neighbor. nice to meet ya

Krystale Mitaesa:

oh, I'm your neighbor. nice to meet ya

Malaysia? Hello neighbour! I have relatives there. Unfortunately, we don’t keep in touch :(

awkward potato:

Malaysia? I have relatives there. Unfortunately, we don’t keep in touch :(

indeed I am; and hope you guys keep in close contact virtually :')

perfect:

Aw, that's a good thing for most horror watchers, most actually miss being immune to it because they can't be scared anymore. The fun's in the scare! :) And yes movies like those ...also like technology gone wrong or things that make earth feel so small...those things really scare me haha. 

Oh yes singularity is a scary thing to think about! Hopefully it doesn’t play out like that but we shall see… and yes I can see what you mean. I’m about to read the webtoon “if ai ruled the world” I’ll let you know if it’s good (unless you already read it haha). 

awkward potato:

When you put it that way, I can understand why it’s scary. I do have this thinking about how technology can go wrong. Like, what if our smart homes decided to go wonky and we’ll be trapped in our houses with no way to escape? What if the A.I. that we humans have affectionately created, goes berserk one day?

Yess. Shows like Black Mirror do a great job of showcasing that..Even Alien invasion movies where they show how large the alien ship is over us, those things are really scary to me hah.

_Ian_:
Oh yes singularity is a scary thing to think about! Hopefully it doesn’t play out like that but we shall see… and yes I can see what you mean. I’m about to read the webtoon “if ai ruled the world” I’ll let you know if it’s good (unless you already read it haha). 

Yep it is. Oh I heard of that webtoon but never read it. I recommend Chasing Tails [non sci-fi] if you're interested! It's the first webtoon to make me so creeped out lol, I would say it's a psychological horror mystery. 

Oh thank you! I'll have to check that out! Sounds creepy indeed... 

Yesterday, I mentioned about doing a small write up about Singapore's "horror theme park". It's called Haw Par Villa and it's still in operation. Haw Par Villa is famous for its vivid depictions of the Ten Courts of Hell from Chinese folklore.

I remembered going there when I was really young, around 5-6 years old, and I was so confused with what I saw there. I took a boat ride (with my sis and brother-in-law) which went into this dark tunnel. In that tunnel, I saw statues after statues of mutilated bodies and many monsters. One very vivid statue that I remembered seeing was of these long-tongued ghosts. Weirdly, I don't feel creeped out by all the strange things I saw there.

These ain't the handsome merman from The Blue Whisper
Bloodied heads to... greet you? Idk, I can't read Mandarin, so I'm not sure what's written

Well known for being the place many Singaporean (mainly Chinese) children got dragged to in hopes of scaring them out of being naughty, the Ten Courts of Hell exhibit is its main attraction. After so many years of not knowing what boat ride I went on during my trip to Haw Par Villa, only now I realised that I went "through" the Ten Gates of Hell.

Dioramas after dioramas of torture... I'm thankful I grew up not being traumatised

Back in the 90's, the visiting time was only til 6pm, if I'm not mistaken. Rumor has it that the park is haunted when opened til late night. Well, with scenes and statues depicting the Ten Gates of Hell, who wouldn't be surprised if the park is actually haunted, lol. However, after the renovations, the timings have been extended.

So if any of you who are interested in coming down to my country, do plan a day to visit Haw Par Villa for an interesting experience of a different kind of theme park. Chinese mythology enthusiasts will find joy in trying to decipher what mythological creatures they'll find.

Hope everyone enjoyed this mini write up, and happy hauntings!

awkward potato:
Yesterday, I mentioned about doing a small write up about Singapore's "horror theme park". It's called Haw Par Villa and it's still in operation. Haw Par Villa is famous for its vivid depictions of the Ten Courts of Hell from Chinese folklore.

Interesting! Thanks for sharing :) wow all those figures are creepy and pretty graphic for kids. I can kind of relate because I also went to theme parks where they had rides with old animatronics but the figures were all worn down and so old which added to the creepiness. I would definetely love to explore a place like that though. Would be surprised if they didn't make any movies of it yet!

perfect:

Interesting! Thanks for sharing :) wow all those figures are creepy and pretty graphic for kids. I can kind of relate because I also went to theme parks where they had rides with old animatronics but the figures were all worn down and so old which added to the creepiness. I would definetely love to explore a place like that though. Would be surprised if they didn't make any movies of it yet!

There isn’t any movie about Haw Par Villa coz I think sg’s tourism board doesn’t want to scare away potential visitors hahaha XD  However, there is a movie made about our infamous most haunted hospital, called Haunted Changi. It’s a locally produced found footage horror movie. Unfortunately, Singapore films aren’t inside MDL database so it’s kind of a waste if you watch this and have no way to record it down. I won’t go into details about this particular hospital, but if you’re interested to read more, you can try googling Old Changi Hospital. Because there’s a new hospital also going by the same name of Changi Hospital.

Animatronics do give me the creeps, but I’m glad that I haven’t come across a theme park full of these… 

Edited to add in some additional thoughts:

What if we have another feature in this club, where we tell true ghost stories? Like campfire ghost stories, that kinda thing? If we don’t have any stories, we can also do mini write-ups about our local haunted places (like what I’ve done). How about it?

awkward potato:
Yesterday, I mentioned about doing a small write up about Singapore's "horror theme park". It's called Haw Par Villa and it's still in operation. Haw Par Villa is famous for its vivid depictions of the Ten Courts of Hell from Chinese folklore.

This was a great write up. Interesting to know there is a folklore horror theme park! My favourite anime shows is  'Hoozuki no Reitetsu' which revolves around Hoozuki, a demon that works for Yama aka king of hell.  And one of the reasons I find it interesting is because of the mythological aspect of horror (similar to the Chinese hells you mentioned, this has 8+8 Japanese Hells which are frozen and fiery). 

awkward potato:
What if we have another feature in this club, where we tell true ghost stories? Like campfire ghost stories, that kinda thing? If we don’t have any stories, we can also do mini write-ups about our local haunted places (like what I’ve done). How about it?

This sounds interesting! 

BTW on a completely side note, my first article got published on MDL. Its not horror related but if you interested you can check it out hereIts about mythology tales.

awkward potato:
Unfortunately, Singapore films aren’t inside MDL database so it’s kind of a waste if you watch this and have no way to record it down.

That won't stop some of us from checking it out, no worries~ 

awkward potato:
Animatronics do give me the creeps, but I’m glad that I haven’t come across a theme park full of these… 

Over here on Halloween we see tons of them just for house decorations haha can't escape them :P 

awkward potato:

Of course I would love that. You can discuss anything related to horror here actually so feel free~