Amazing nuances mixed with hilariously funny scenes, exaggerated character depictions with heart felt detail. It's a crazy and intense mixture with an incredibly rich and virtuoso sound track, brilliant orchestral instrumentation, and the introductory graphics to the episodes are very well done and effective. 

Real life depicted in a truly artistic way. The same as in painting, when an impressionist and somewhat vague painting can say a thousand times more than a nature true photograph.   

I hope Korean drama retains exactly this close-to-the-heart exceptional qualities, and doesn't go down the shallow 'reality' and 'cinematic effects' road that define Western, and sadly also some recent Netflix productions that use Korean actors. 

It's possible to measure dramas by the music, I found. No cheating there, real composition skills and real live instruments cannot be replaced by fancy electronic sound effects. 

Thanks for the review. I am seriously thinking of watching the show. Is there a long-lost sister in the show? If so, which character is it? It is not a very used trope in kdrama; that is why I am asking. 

It's been a while since I've finished watching it, and can't remember if there was a long lost sister in it. I don't think so though.

If you want something like a "long lost sister", but with a bizzare twist, "My Golden LIfe" is an incredible masterpiece of plot and character depictions. 

Thanks for the review, I totally agree. Also am not liking the direction to which Netflix is taking k-dramas. I hope the success of some Netflix dramas doesn't change the exceptional qualities of k-drama. I'm much happier with k-dramas that had high ratings domestically, like Misaeng and Once Again.

What aren't you liking about Netflix-produced Kdramas?

I like them, but the direction where they are taking k-drama seem to be: more explicit sex, more shock effects, less depth in characters. The licensing model (showing domestically produced dramas in Netflix) works wonderfully. I don't know whether the offering of licenced k-dramas will be lessened in Netflix, due to the success of k-dramas mainly reaching younger audiences. We'll see.  Opinions will differ on whether zombies and gore are preferred to workplace kdramas and politics/society themes.

Yeah, I see what you're saying... Netflix-produced kdramas are more westernized than kdramas made for the Korean market. I personally adore kdramas made for the Korean market. This drama is one example.

roddib:

Thanks for the review, I totally agree. Also am not liking the direction to which Netflix is taking k-dramas. I hope the success of some Netflix dramas doesn't change the exceptional qualities of k-drama. I'm much happier with k-dramas that had high ratings domestically, like Misaeng and Once Again.

Neither am I liking the direction. If the trajectory of kdramas, guided by Netflix (among others), is a much more western bent then the comfort & escapism they brought years ago when I started watching will be destroyed. I don't use the word "destroyed" lightly. Since Squid Game it's been an avalanche of poorly written dramas, halving series, rampant & vile hatred acoss community media sites (from the influx of young western viewers), and an onslaught of Korean cultural values.  Needless to say, the western way is to appropriate, change it completely and eventually destroy it. To stay true, to my original intent for me personally leaving everything western behind in my entertainment, I'm having to rewatch the older dramas, those that were pre Netflix.  Rarely, a daily will come along that reminds me of what drew me, like Once Again.

whykay91:

Thanks for the review. I am seriously thinking of watching the show. Is there a long-lost sister in the show? If so, which character is it? It is not a very used trope in kdrama; that is why I am asking. 

kind of late. but yes there is a long-lost sister in the how. i think it will be better if you don't know and to guess it yourself cause the scene of their reunion is really emotional one