Rosebudxo wrote: I have yet to see Nino mean to the other members, but I have heard he is known to be a "Jerk with a Heart of Gold?" How is that?

A lot of the times the audience sees Nino interact with the other members, it is through variety shows. If there is any way to describe it, I would refer to the Japanese terms for a typical manzai comedy duo (tsukkomi/boke) otherwise termed as the straight-man/silly one, Nino takes on a tsukkomi (straight-man) role and can be harsh in his retorts which ends up in him being called a "jerk" as you quoted.

In general, I also feel like Nino isn't being utilized in dramas/movies, etc. Maybe because he is in-demand in the entertainment market (he's a Johnny, an Arashi member, who actually has some acting ability), but I haven't seen him take on as much roles as I would like to see. I heard he is coming in a new drama. I'm not sure what it's about but I really want someone to give him the opportunity to take on some more twisted roles, like that of a villain. He would be a great villain.
In his new drama he is going to be playing the coach of a baseball team. Has anybody seen his variety show "Nino-san"? What do you think?
peachy_love wrote: A lot of the times the audience sees Nino interact with the other members, it is through variety shows. If there is any way to describe it, I would refer to the Japanese terms for a typical manzai comedy duo (tsukkomi/boke) otherwise termed as the straight-man/silly one, Nino takes on a tsukkomi (straight-man) role and can be harsh in his retorts which ends up in him being called a "jerk" as you quoted.

In general, I also feel like Nino isn't being utilized in dramas/movies, etc. Maybe because he is in-demand in the entertainment market (he's a Johnny, an Arashi member, who actually has some acting ability), but I haven't seen him take on as much roles as I would like to see. I heard he is coming in a new drama. I'm not sure what it's about but I really want someone to give him the opportunity to take on some more twisted roles, like that of a villain. He would be a great villain.

Thanks for the explainations abotu the shows, that's quite interesting!
About Nino in more twisted roles, I would suggest Platina Data if you haven't seen it. He is also doing a great job, in another field though, in Door to door and I will fly to the sky on a weelchair. I haven't seen Letters from Iwo Jima, but I guess it should be different from his other roles.
I 'm wondering if his "bad' image is not linked to some of his roles. In freeter, Ie wo kau as well as in Gantz movies, and maybe sometimes in Ryusei no kizuna, his character is not always likeable, and Nino plays this kind of characters so well that sometimes we can mistake it as part of his personnality.

considering the plot, I'm not really sure his upcoming drama will fulfill your expectations, but who knows? (i was totally fooled by Kazoku game that i was expecting to be a nice and conventional drama).

@Panda-san, i've tried Nino-san, maybe 10-15 minutes, but tbh it didn't strike me. this kind of show is not my cup of tea, but maybe I should gave it another try, and spent more time watching it. To not really understand japanese language is surely a big problem with this kind of show (at least with VSA you don't have to understand everything to spend a funny moment). You should give it a try, if i'm not mistaken you understand Japanese and maybe you would enjoy all the subtility of this kind of shows!
I really, really loved the Gantz movies with him! *__* I cried at the end like a crybaby.. One of the best movies I#ve ever watched. Anyone who likes scifi and Nino, you won't regret it! :D