I never thought of that until you mentioned it! You're right - he does definitely display signs of autism though of course we'll never know if that's the intent or he's just a special, interesting character. Can't believe I didn't think of that! Thanks for sharing your thoughts here :) Now that it's brought to my attention, I can't unsee it lol - he is like a highly functioning autistic person. 

I agree, a second season would have been a great move but alas I don't think that'll happen with how the drama ended.

catstreet:
I think I'm the only person who wonders if Hongyo perhaps has some form of autism or something.

i also think same the same but i don't have a lot of information about it so idk. what's clear is he has trouble processing and understanding emotions and interactions(seemed to me like him talking about the cat thing was his way of telling her he'll do it and him searching and doing it was his way in expressing his feeling even if he didn't understand them). he expresses himself through writing but he himself doesn't realize that. he's a very interesting character, all of them all very unique with some kind of mental issue, and i wish there was more of the drama.

I also wish there was more of the drama as I feel there's a lot more character depth to explore there, but as said, I don't think they'll consider a Season 2..

Yeah, it does seem likely considering the way he deals with his emotions. His interactions and the way he reacts to things too. I especially found that when Hase told him he couldn't do anything until finishing the novel, and him agreeing was very parallel to something I experienced with an ex bf of mine, so it really resonated with me. but again, I don't know if this is what they were getting at - tho it is true that all the characters have their own degrees of psychological issues (Hase in general I feel could have had more exploration too - it's not enough to understand that sort of thing in just a 10 ep 25 min series.

But yes, enough of my rambling :p as much as there was mixed reactions about it, I did enjoy the series and though it fell short of my expectations in the end as I wanted more resolution, I still feel like it was a worthy watch!

it's confirmed, he is an idiot...

Hongyo is not autistic. He's an introvert who never seems to actively think about his own feelings. So its more like being emotionally shut down. In the last episode he admitted to feeling self conscious. He didn't understand what terada saw in him.

Hongyo did what Hase told him to because he is use to being bossed around by him. Hase implied he wasnt contributing to the house and used his old work relationship to ensure compliance.

I was actually horrified that Hase took advantage of his position in Hongyos life to manipulate him into hurting Terada.  Was so cold blooded. Poor Terada and Hongyo walked right into that trap. 

I was surprised Hase actually admitted to what he did in the end too. But it was really awful to watch this needy person bust up their budding relationship.  No one ever told him what happened between them in middle school tho. So he had no way of knowing just how deep their connection was. Since both of them seemed to like living in denial for most of the show. 

Terada and Hongyo finally managed to be tender and intimate enough to hug after she read his book. So it was the beginning of a new chapter for them. Was happy with the story and the complex characters.  I think they wrapped it up pretty nicely. Am not expecting a second season.

I think Terada is a total pushover. She needs to buck up and stand up for herself, or move out!