During the play, when the prince asks Cindarella to dance, the second movement of Tchaikovsky's 6th Symphony is playing. This is not likely an accident. The 6th Symphony is generally associated with Tchaikovsky's homosexuality and is often called "The Homosexual Tragedy." People have even referred to it as a suicde note. There is very little evidence for this - after all, something has to be your last composition, right? And it's not even conclusive that he was particulary unhappy. After a brief, bizarre, and disastrous marriage, he wrote to his brother "Only now, especially after the tale of my marriage, have I finally begun to understand that there is nothing more fruitless than not wanting to be that which I am by nature." (He was 37 at the time).

But the symphony is nevertheless associated with repressed homosexuality.

The movement in question is in 5/4 meter, which makes it a "limping waltz" which would be more or less impossible to dance to - it's deliberately written that way - off-balance, creating a pall of doubt over the elegance of the piece.

Tchaikovsky was himself a perfect BL character. He even had a gay brother (who had a twin, sexuality unknown) who he was close to, and at his death he was living with his beloved and adoring nephew, Bob. (His name was Vladimir Davydov, but he was actually called "Bob"). In his later years he was supported by a weathy woman who gave him funds so he could compose full-time on the condition that they never meet in person - but they wrote daily to each other for 14 years and she was the most crucial emotional support in his life for that period.

In any case, use of this piece of music is quite impressive attention to detail.

Oh wow...thank you for sharing this! 

sweetfaced_profanity:

Oh wow...thank you for sharing this! 

When I was a repressed teen, I listened to this symphony over and over again, without realizing how appropriate it was! The first movement is really beautiful.

Foreigner:

Thanks for sharing!

I have a degree in music, which is totally useless except for rare occassions like this. :)

this is just WOW... thank you so much for sharing, i will never forget this.

brie:

this is just WOW... thank you so much for sharing, i will never forget this.

Thank you! I was really impressed with their attention to detail - that was the perfect music choice! It even turned ominous just at the right moment.