Go Ah Ra is a south korean actress , who debuted in 2003 . Yet she is not as popular as other mainstream actresses . 
She had some amazing roles during her career . She won awards for her dramas " sharp(banolim)" and " snow flower " ( which got her a baeksang award ) . Then she disappeared and only showed up after 4 years of hiatus from dramaland in 2013 with the hit drama " Reply 1994 " portraying na jung . She only was nominated for baeksang ( but did not win it ???) . She did an amazing job in "you're all surrounded " , " black " , miss hammurabi , haechi . Yet she did not win any award . Basically she won 0 award this past decade even though she presented amazing performances . Yet other actresses not talented but way more popular , get cast with way famous actors , by top notch producers and win awards left and right . 

I never understood this phenomenon and I'm honestly questioning the integrity of korean award shows . Therefore I created this discussion . Please share your opinion with a civilized way without bashing any actor . And please do explain to me how these award shows work and what is the opinion of koreans on Go Ara . 

There aren't many actresses I like.  Most times I can't even remember their names, but Goo Ah Ra is an exception.  I really like her and I agree that she is a very good actress who turns out solid performances. 

I question the integrity of all award shows to be honest.  I do find the Korean way of doing awards to be very odd.  Each network has award shows???  Perhaps because of the sheer number of dramas that is what they decided.  Depending on why she disappeared, I wouldn't be surprised to find her blackballed in some way.  Someone in power may have wanted something from her and she refused.  She may have quit or they may have tanked her career as punishment.  They allowed her to come back because she makes them money, but they won't honor her.  That scenario is highly possible in the entertainment industry.

Oh my god ! I thought I was the only one thinking that way . I mean let's be honest she is the most beautiful out of all of them and so talented yet not popular , something is very wrong there . So also I thought that she refused to do something so they punished her by discrediting anything she does . I have seen the few interviews she did and girl got personnality so that is very plausible . Honestly this is so sad , she could have been the aishuaya ray of south korea ! 

As far as I know, she's very popular in Souh Korea. Not only cos of her beauty and her talent, but also her dramas like Sharp and Reply 94, one of a famous drama in SK. She's also a queen CF in the past. For awards, SK has  different qualifications like if the drama has a high rating, the cast will have big opportunities of winning. So, I hope her next drama will have a good rating and people in SK will like it :)

And also she has many fanpages on instagram. Go follow it! :D

Just here to say Hi. Don't mind me. (XD)

Go, Team Go Ah Ra. I 've only seen her in Reply and her Cameo appearance in Hospital Playlist and I couldn't believe that she was the same person. Anyway from what I've seen, she's great.

There might some bad scripts in her career but she is a great actress from what I 've seen so far.

People aah it's alright as long as they are criticizing an actor or actress for their work in a civilized way coz they have the right to do so. But I too sometimes lose my shit when they are just leaving hate comments(WTH). So, it's better to keep ur hate comments to urself I think.

I'll be leaving then, Ba Bye!

xx_xx_:

As far as I know, she's very popular in Souh Korea. Not only cos of her beauty and her talent, but also her dramas like Sharp and Reply 94, one of a famous drama in SK. She's also a queen CF in the past. For awards, SK has  different qualifications like if the drama has a high rating, the cast will have big opportunities of winning. So, I hope her next drama will have a good rating and people in SK will like it :)

And also she has many fanpages on instagram. Go follow it! :D

I mean her dramas Reply 1994 and miss hammurabi were pretty popular yet she did not win anything .

Also i did a quick round check on other actresses and found that some of them won awards for dramas rating 5-10% on public tv . Go ara's dramas are better rated yet  she did not win anything . That's why it's fishy ! 

Yeah what I've noticed only dramas with very popular male leads get highly rated . But still I have my hopes up for this one . 

PS : I recently created an instagram account and yes I followed them . Thanks ! Let's support her all the way !

Hanzi:

Just here to say Hi. Don't mind me. (XD)

Go, Team Go Ah Ra. I 've only seen her in Reply and her Cameo appearance in Hospital Playlist and I couldn't believe that she was the same person. Anyway from what I've seen, she's great.

There might some bad scripts in her career but she is a great actress from what I 've seen so far.

People aah it's alright as long as they are criticizing an actor or actress for their work in a civilized way coz they have the right to do so. But I too sometimes lose my shit when they are just leaving hate comments(WTH). So, it's better to keep ur hate comments to urself I think.

I'll be leaving then, Ba Bye!

Hello there ! Yes me too , I can't stand hateful comments like they are ganging up on her . Very irritating . Honestly there are actresses that I don't like so I don't even watch their dramas nor do I check their social media accounts let alone their MDL profile . These people claim to hate her yet do all of the above plus they leave hateful mean comments . Like seriously ? I think they just hate the fact they like her otherwise they wouldn't even care about her , her profile or dramas . Just saying !

Hello there! Thanks for opening this thread @classy1

Let me answer the above post:

About popularity. 

Go ARa's prime has happened during the time when K-Wave is just starting. So it is the reason why she isn't on the mainstream now. You see, Seo Ye Jin s quite popular in SK but only after CLoY she gets recognized by a bigger crowd of international fans. 

I think all Ara needs is a drama that will appeal to huge audience again. Right role, right project, and right timing I guess.  Coz most of her dramas aren't mainstream too. 

"She disappeared for 4 years" --> well she disappeared on TV for 4 years after her drama Heading to the Ground in 2009 (which actually gave her a popularity nominations in Baeksang). To be exact she only became inactive as an actress for 1 year, back in 2010 because she was an active student too. So that year was kinda exhausting for her. But I think she was active in her social media platform at that time, because she communicated with fans thru that. I had her picture on my ig taken in 2010, and also she participated as a an opening pitcher for Baseball in 2010. 

After HTTG she appeared a guesting on Japanese TV series in 2009, Karei Naru Spy, and had her Photo Shoot exhibit too, the "Amore" where photos taken from her travel in Spain. In 2010 she had a break as I mentioned earlier. In 2011, she started to be busy with filming for Pacemaker and Papa.  Both were premiered in early 2012. Then in 2013, she auditioned in Reply 1994 and that drama has become her return to small screen.  And the rest is history. You see, she is still active up to these days. And that is something you know. Not everyone has a project yearly. 

About acting awards, I am proud she had a Baeksang Award back whem she was  16 or 17 and she has become one of the youngest recipients of Baeksang Arts Awards. Why didn't she win in Reply? Actually it is an honor to be nominated already. It mems she is recognized. Of course I want her to win too! But well, unfortunately, I was not one of the judges lol. I just console myself that she was nominated along with Jun Ji Hyun and Lee Bo Young. 

Let us just pray she will win again. Actually,   Go Ara never had a flop ratimg drama in her history so  let us cheer that Do Do Sol Sol La La Sol will be a successful one.  Also, although she hasn't win yet again for this decade, she was critically recognized again in Miss Hammurabi and been nominated too for APAN. 

Let us cheer for her! FIGHTING

I love everything you said in your post about Go ARa. I might haven't watched all her series because I just found out about her last year but since then, she hooked my heart and I am now loving her still. I love all her dramas that I watched such as Hwarang, Reply 1994, You're All Surrounded, Black, Miss Hammurabi, and Haechi. I also love her movies such as Phantom Detective and Joseon Magician. I will support her upcoming series, Do Do Sol Sol La La Sol, and her future projects with the hope that she will win again an award.