So if you have been watching Korean Dramas for a while you have realized that Korean dramas tend to not really have seasons and I wanted to know how other drama watchers felt about that 

As for me, I love it.  That's probably why I have almost dropped almost all cable tv shows since a majority of the times they will have 2-3 seasons more than they need. 

I totally love it too! I really dislike this new type of TV shows which go on forever without any direction until their rating is all milked out and they are cancelled... So glad Kdramas have a defined beginning, ending and a plot frame (most of them :-D).

One thing that I have to say about kdramas is that they tend to have too many episodes and fluff in the season, though. It seems that there is a pre-set number of episodes that tend to run in 16 or 20 segments. To stretch them to the predestined number of episodes, they often put a bunch of really corny plot devices. Also, some shows maybe would benefit from having 2 shorter seasons. 

Other than that, I totally agree that having an American show that spans god-knows-how-many seasons tends to ruin them. I like having only 1 season and knowing that it will end after that.

Linus:

One thing that I have to say about kdramas is that they tend to have too many episodes and fluff in the season, though. It seems that there is a pre-set number of episodes that tend to run in 16 or 20 segments. To stretch them to the predestined number of episodes, they often put a bunch of really corny plot devices. Also, some shows maybe would benefit from having 2 shorter seasons. 

Other than that, I totally agree that having an American show that spans god-knows-how-many seasons tends to ruin them. I like having only 1 season and knowing that it will end after that.

The writing is pretty flimsy overall in Korean dramas.

I'm watching That Man Oh Soo as an example and there's so much pointless time-wasting. They have a supernatural element but it's completely neglected in favor of angst and other stuff... like they really could have and should have fleshed out the supernatural element a lot more. The show is halfway to its end and I still don't really understand why there is any supernatural element at all in this show. I suspect we'll see its desperate appearance to force something on the two leads at the last minute but that feels like a cheap gimmick.

American network TV is pretty awful because a show can get renewed constantly and you see the writers run out of material.

But there is a lot of good stuff on smaller premium networks like HBO or FX or Starz. Netflix, Amazon and other streaming sites seem to let their writers and directors stick to a certain number of seasons without pushing too hard for more.

Linus:

Yeah I agree. Honestly I've seen so many kdramas at this point and so many of them tend to drag and lull at the halfway point and onward and it makes me wanna skip over slow parts. I just recently saw Splash Splash Love, which had the most incredible pacing, plot and just general direction. Each episode was only 15 minutes, totaling to two hours of content.

I think it's the standard like you said for shows to be 16+ hours when some stories aren't meant to be stretched that way. I think Kdramas overall would have a much cleaner finish and better quality if they just set a reasonable pace from the get go and didn't try to fulfill some quota that's the 'norm'.

I like it too. It's great for people like me, who have a short attention span and can't handle shows that drag on for too long--which tends to happen in TV shows with multiple seasons.

Of course, we end up missing the kdrama once it's over, but I rather stay missing its glory than to end up hating it because of bad sequential seasons.

in my opinion making a second (and third and so on) of a successful and popular drama is just milking it and selling the name of the drama. i mean most write probably only thinking about that one season when they wrote the story, well it would be a whole different ball game if they already thought of making multiple season since the beginning (well that seems impossible financially).

LOVE IT!

The reason I don't watch a lot of American TV in the first place is that I'll read a plot summary and get interested and then I'll see how many seasons there are and immediatly lose interest cause I know i'll never be able to catch up. It's true sometimes I've watched a drama and hoped there would be a second season because it was just so darn good but usually when we get a second season the plot might lack or they replace actors so the connection that was made over 16+ episodes comes crashing down and the new cast simply won't be able to measure up, unless of course the first season acting was god awful. Overall I love that kdrama tend to be 16-20 ish episodes, it keeps me engaged and it's easy to finish a series and start another in a short amount of time!

Being able to watch a full story from beginning to end is one of the main reasons I choose to watch K-dramas in preference to western series. With US series in particular, you can rarely be sure that the show won’t be ditched on a cliffhanger ending.