Revenge is not necessarily "an eye for an eye". Ziyuan/Anle is a smart woman. Her priorities in terms of vengeance was always to clear her family's name and the names of the soldiers that died. If she were to work on killing the emperor right away, not only would she be leaving loose ends like the Marquis, who was literally just captured in the latest episode, Ziyuan/Anle would only be cementing her family's place in history as traitors and rebels.

The actions Ziyuan/Anle takes all serves a purpose of furthering her vengeance. She focuses on one pillar at a time, if she were to try to speed it up and work on bringing down all who had a role in the massacre, then there will bound to be loose ends which would end up with her joining her family in death, truly ending the Di family's line once and for all.

Additionally, the drama cannot only focus on Ziyuan/Anle's revenge plot, as it's a romance drama above all else.

To the point that Ziyuan/Anle is too soft towards ChengEn, I haven't finished reading the novel (I just started), so I don't know how the novel Ziyuan/Anle is like, but the drama Ziyuan/Anle is not narrowminded and only caring for her revenge. Clearly, she cares for the innocent too and to Ziyuan/Anle, ChengEn was just a poor girl who was roped into her plots and suffered 10 years of imprisonment in her stead. It's natural to feel almost in-debt to her. Moreover, paying closer attention to the things said in the show, ChengEn, who is also "Ziyuan", becoming a part of the royal family as a Di family descendant also allows for less restriction into why her family was exterminated that year.

I want to start out by saying I enjoy the show in a "this is okay" kind of way but I think the story suffers.

The best way I can describe it is - a really good story is where characters makes things happen. A bad story is where things happen to the characters.

And I feel like too often this show falls into category two. We're 21 episodes in and she's made ~3 things happen. She inserted herself into the crown princess competition. She helped convict the Gu family in the exam cheating scandal. She sent her right-hand (wo)man to go capture the Gu family son to convict the father.

The male lead made one thing happen. His right-hand man was a spy, he figured it out and set up a scenario to offer that spy an out.

When it comes to a fictional story that's not a character study... I think you want something more consequential by episode 21 in my opinion. You want more decisions from Han Ye and Anle whether they are working in opposite directions or not and you want them to be setting up the second half of the show. 

I see your points and agree with many. The show in itself does drag every once in a while, I think it spends a lot of time with certain storylines  to hint at/foreshadow later plots.

To the point of wanting more decisions from Han Ye and Anle, I definitely agree with you 100% on that. While the story is paced fine in my opinion, I can't deny that there should be more things that should be cemented like which side they are on. Based on the trailer though, the next episodes should pretty much give you what what you're looking for and the story should be picking up the pace. Additionally, since there's so many scenes not shown yet with less than half the show left, it'll probably be less wishy-washy.

I actually think this is 90%+ a character driven story.

DZY is driven by her desire for justice and to clear her family and their army's name. But, she doesn't know everything about what happened back then (because she was 8). So, she:

• builds an army, builds a navy
  • builds an information network
  • has LMX build her a faction in court
  • engineers a meeting with Han Ye and uses him to enter the court
  • first targets Gu Yunnian, who carried out her family's massacre. She plants evidence in the exam cheating case and causes the official to ring the Qinglong bell (which not even the emperor can safely ignore), resulting in the Gu family son's conviction
  • manipulates events so that Han Ye goes to Jiangnan and she can accompany him to find the Di family army survivor
  • convinces the emperor to bring DCE to court so she can use her for cover
  • spreads misleading wanted posters of the Di family army survivor to bring him to the capitol, where she can use him to clear her family's name

Han Ye is driven by: (1) his devotion to DZY and (2) his love for his people and his country, which leads him to (3) wanting to cleanse the court of corruption.

• he meets Anle because he's trying to gain merits to exchange for DZY's release from Mount Dai
  • he knows Anle isn't really interested in him and is just using him as an excuse, but he sees her talent and believes that she will be a great minister/official who would bring prosperity to his country and help him cleanse the court
  • he knows Gu Yunnian is corrupt but is protected by the emperor. So, he uses a "neutral" outsider (Anle) to help him break Gu Yunnian's power and circumvent the protection the emperor provides him
  • he sees she did a great job and is even more convinced she can be a pillar of the country. He brings her with him to Jiangnan so she can win merits and get promoted
  • he knows she's good enough at martial arts that he should feel safe when she's with him, and he also knows the spy in his guards doesn't know how good his own martial arts are. He draws out the spy and defeats him, essentially using her as both his cover (showing he hasn't gone without any protection at all, which would be suspicious) and his fail-safe (if by chance he's outmatched, Anle would protect him)
  • back at the palace, he again works on getting his father to release DZY, resulting in Anle's using this as an excuse to bring DCE back from Mount Dai
  • after DCE leaves Mount Dai, his main goal is now to protect her from the machinations of the court, since he wasn't able to do that as a child

LMX appears to be driven by: (1) his devotion to DZY and (2) his loyalty to the Di family, resulting in (3) his contempt for the Han emperor and plans to rebel/get revenge

• he replaces DZY with DCE, which allows DZY to grow up to be Anle
  • he builds a faction in court and an information network to rebel against the emperor
  • he cooperates with DZY and reminds her constantly not to get distracted from revenge
  • he plots to bring DCE back to the capitol to distract people from DZY

There's more...but that's all I can think of off the top of my head without spoiling too much. But you can see that many of the things that happen are completely consistent with things these characters are trying to accomplish.

Definitely agree that it's 90%+ a character driven story. Pretty much every prominent character is driven by something. My meaning though was that the drama in itself is Romance in terms of genre. Apologies for the confusion

SoundofStars, apologies! My response was in reference to Knavery's post above yours :)

mukkanna, ah, so sorry for the mix up