peng-peng:

It  contradict nothing at all. Sorry. 

In the novel later on  forced XY  to investigate  who was behind Jing death.  He  knew who it was. Xl goaded her to find out since she said that she would  avenge Jing's death by killing his murder. Do you think XL  was doing this because he loves Jing?  

The only thing XL did not bet on was that XY change of heart. 

When XY did find out that ZX indeed was the murderer, she  did the opposite  of what XL had expected her to do. She did not kill ZX but killed herself. She did not care about living. 

I think this is what XL had expected, I'm quoting from AH: "get the hints she needed to realize for herself that CX had killed TSJ so that she would finally see what he had done to her and break free of him (which was necessary to ensure that she could have her happy ending with TSJ)"

I believe Jing is the right person for XY, and I'm glad they ended up together. I also appreciate everything XL did towards the end of the story to ensure XY's happiness.

Winny24:
So it is the way u see things...

Yes, just my personal interpretations. 

Winny24:
but theres no evidence to support clearly to it.. in some of the points..

Some of the points I mentioned are indeed not expressly stated and the evidence in support of them is open to interpretation, so there is certainly room for other interpretations. 

Winny24:
Yes hes involving saving TSJ.

Yep. 

Winny24:
If what you think about XL making XY believe he had no feelings for her..no its not just that hes making her hate him. Because he showed her he would use their connection to kill her brother..as if making sure she sees he just used her to kill...it is as to making her feel shes so foolish to have hang out with him before. So that he could use her...

Can you elaborate?

Winny24:
About memories in the mirror, 1 one is her making fun of him

It's true that the first saved memory was of XY tormenting XL and getting revenge against him for being mean to her, without causing him any real harm. Looking back at that memory made both XY and XL laugh. And that memory reflected an important aspect of their relationship - paradoxically, XY tormenting XL ended up bringing them closer together in the long run, as XY became the first person to treat XL that way and after they each had their own moments of vulnerability and each got their own little revenge they were closer afterwards. 

-----

Chapter 48:

Xiang Liu waved his hand and Xiao Yao’s precious gorilla beast mirror flew from her arms into his hand. He stared at it for a long time and didn’t make any move.

Sir Bi stood to the side and silently and patiently looked on.

Xiang Liu smiled and explained to Sir Bi, “This is a gorilla mirror that’s saved some ancient stuff from the past. Not even sure if Xiao Yao already deleted it.” He waved his hand and the mirror clouded before clearly showing Xiang Liu’s face.

………………………………..

In a dingy room in Qing Shui Town, Xiang Liu was injured and couldn’t move. Xiao Yao snatched the opportunity to get revenge on Xiang Liu for being mean to her for so long. She used coal briquettes and drew seven eyes on Xiang Liu’s face, and together with his two eyes, it formed nine eyes so she could mock him for being a nine-headed demon.

At that time, Xiao Yao was holding the mirror with one hand so only her other hand was visible. Her voice was totally mocking as she said, “Take a good look, but don’t get mad otherwise you’ll interrupt the healing!”

Xiang Liu opened his eyes looking like he was going to kill her, but Xiao Yao wasn’t scared and instead rubbed the seven eyes while counting until she used her grubby charcoal hands to draw nine heads on Xiang Liu’s face. She cackled, “I still can’t imagine what nine heads look like, when are you going to show me your true form?”

Xiang Liu glared at Xiao Yao and silently mouthed, “I. Am. Going. To. Eat. You.”

Nine Lives Xiang Liu was renowned for being deadly, but with his face all blackened the scariness of his threat lessened immensely.

………………………………..

Xiang Liu watched to this part and then started laughing. From the moment he was born he didn’t have parents, and had to start surviving from that moment forward. He had no childhood or playmates or fun, and after he was an adult his reputation was so bad that no one dared to joke around with him. Xiao Yao was the first person who dared to play tricks on him, but do so without any real ill will or harmful intention.

Xiang Liu stared at his blackened face in the mirror for quite some time in a daze. Then he waved his hand and called forth the next memory.

Winny24:
2. is a film of him going along the under ocean as she seems to  fantascise with the scenary.. we could see shes curious about what kind of creature he is. (I dont know some XL think any kind of romantic ...with those memories)

Curious about what kind of creature he is? For me, that was not my impression. 

I am among those fans who view this as a memory that does feel like it has romantic tones, although they are presented subtly rather than expressly stated. 

-----

Chapter 13:

Xiao Yao felt that she must be growing lonely again and forced herself to think of other things. Swimming, swimming…..there must be other things in her life connected with swimming…..Xiao Yao suddenly missed Nine-lives Xiang Liu very much. If he was here, likely she would not have any time to think about the past. But Wen Xiao Liu was gone and even if she ran into Xiang Liu in the future, he would not recognize her anymore.

Xiao Yao floated on the surface and sighed deeply.

One night Xiao Yao was in Cao Yao Court admiring the latest poison she concocted, feeling very sad that she couldn’t give it to Xiang Liu.

She took out her most precious mirror and pulled up the memories she saved in it. One was when she drew nine heads on Xiang Liu’s face, and the other was after she moved the voodoo bug from Zhuan Xu to Xiang Liu and walked along the ocean floor with him. She secretly used the mirror to record that moment.

In the dark blue ocean depths, Xiang Liu’s white hair white robe was so elegant and refined as he swam, the white hair billowing behind him, making his already handsome face even more ethereally beautiful.

“Who is he?”

The Grand Emperor’s voice asked and Xiao Yao was so surprised, turning around to discover her dad was sitting behind her and looking into the mirror. He was clearly curious about the man in his daughter’s mirror.

Xiao Yao said, “A friend who is not quite a friend.”

The Grand Emperor laughed. “I thought at this time you would be missing the Tu Shan clan’s little fox.”

Xiao Yao made a face. “Perhaps he’s walking with his fiancee under the moonlight, happy as can be. I’m not an idiot, why think of him?”

The Grand Emperor stared at Xiao Yao and her candid honesty.

Xiao Yao knew she likely spoke too baldly and laughed “I will be careful in front of others when I speak and not embarrass you.”

The Grand Emperor sighed “You and your mother…..are nothing alike.” They were both such passionate people, but Xiao Yao was cold-hearted and rational.

Xiao Ya wanted to put the mirror away but the Grand Emperor took it.

-----

Chapter 24:

Xiao Yao pulled her hand back to put her mirror away but the Grand Emperor grabbed it and waved his hand across. The image of Xiang Liu swimming in the ocean depths appeared and Xiao Yao stared in a daze. Even though when she was unconscious Xiang Liu told her to erase the images, but after she woke up he didn’t mention it again so she had forgotten about it.

The Grand Emperor asked, “Is he Nine-lives Xiang Liu? This time, he was the one who saved you?”

Xiao Liu answered in a low voice, “Yes.”

The Grand Emperor covered the mirror with his hand and the image of Xiang Liu disappeared.

The Grand Emperor said, “Xiao Yao, I don’t restrict your freedom but as your father I beg of you – do not have any relationship with him. He’s exactly on the opposite side of Zhuan Xu and your blood line has already made the choice for you.” The Grand Emperor had already seen one tragedy before, he didn’t want to see the same tragedy with Xiao Yao.

Xiao Yao took the mirror back and smiled. “Dad, what are you thinking about? My interactions with him have always been a transaction. He saved me because he made a deal with Zhuan Xu.”

The Grand Emperor sighed. “You need to remember this well, I would rather have the entire world vilify and castigate me for eliminating the entire Fang Feng family if that is what it takes to snatch that Tu Shan clan’s little fox for you. That is preferable than you having anything to do with Xiang Liu.”

Xiao Yao made a funny face to her dad and laughed. “Okay, okay, I remember! Daddy who likes to lecture, your subordinates are all waiting for you!”

There was a day when he was called someone who liked to lecture? The Grand Emperor rapped Xiao Yao on the head and left.

Xiao Yao lowered her head to stare at the gorilla mirror, and gradually her smile disappeared completely.

-----

Chapter 48:

Then he waved his hand and called forth the next memory.

To remove the bug from Zhuan Xu, he struck a deal with Xiao Yao and took her to Five Gods Mountain where he successfully planted the bug in himself. Afterwards the guards chased them, so he took Xiao Yao deep into the ocean where they explored for a long time.

Xiang Liu stared at the mirror recording of the colorful seashells, various fishes, the underwater fields……Xiang Liu in all white walking while Xiao Yao was right next to him, curiously taking all the sights in.

Whether it was Xiao Yao being so amazed at being under the sea or there were too many things to take in, she secretly recorded the memory without Xiang Liu knowing. She likely did so from behind him so his profile was always in view. Only at the last scene when he turned around to look at her did the mirror record his face directly.

Xiao Yao quickly put the mirror away so the memory ended on that ephemeral image of Xiang Liu turning to look at her.

…………………………..

Xiang Liu still clearly remembered the moment he discovered these saved memories in the gorilla mirror. He was shocked and amazed that Xiao Yao secretly recorded him, and that he wasn’t even aware of it. That proved he was completely relaxed at that time, and Xiao Yao could have had the chance to kill him.

Xiang Liu stared at the mirror for a long time before sighing, taking Xiao Yao to Five Gods Mountain felt like yesterday to him, but was really so long ago! His hand lifted to erase the memories but Sir Bi stopped him looking alarmed, “These are Xiao Yao’s most precious memories, you can’t!”

Xiang Liu silently looked at Sir Bi until he remembered the promise he just made and slowly released his hand.

Xiang Liu used his power to rewind the saved memory in the mirror like turning back time. It was like things were going back to the way they were from the very beginning, but there was no way to do so with feelings and memories!

After the memories were erased, Xiang Liu smiled and returned the mirror to Xiao Yao’s arms like he never touched it before.

-----

Chapter 51:

Xiao Yao suddenly remembered something and hurriedly searched herself before taking out the mystical Gorilla Mirror she always kept by her side. Inside the mirror were two memories she saved, and now they were the only things she had left of him.

One memory was in Qing Shui Town when he couldn’t move because he was injured. Wen Xiao Liu captured him and used the chance to get revenge on all the times he was mean to her. Xiao Liu used the coal in the warmer to draw 7 eyes on his face, plus his 2 eyes, that gave him 9 eyes so she could make fun of him as a nine-headed demon.

The other memory was from deep in the ocean. Wen Xiao Liu and Xiang Liu’s reached a deal and Xiang Liu took her to Five Gods Mountain to remove the voodoo bug from Zhuan Xu. After removing the bug, they were chased by the Five Gods Mountain soldiers so they went deeper into the ocean to escape. That was the first time Xiao Yao experienced the beauty of the ocean depths and when Xiang Liu wasn’t paying attention she secretly recorded Xiang Liu as he was carefree and with his guard down.

Xiao Yao took a deep breath and used her power to turn on the mirror. But after swiping repeatedly nothing appeared.

Xiao Yao grew frantic. “It can’t be! It can’t be!…..” She anxiously used her power to look into the mirror. But no matter how many times she looked there were no memories of Xiang Liu.

Even the only thing he left to her was gone!

Xiao Yao could not believe it and she angrily kept trying the mirror. “How could this be? How could this be?……”

Suddenly she remembered, when she was unconscious Xiang Liu discovered the secret of the mirror and ordered her to erase it. When she woke up he never mentioned it again and she thought he forgot, but it turned out that when she wasn’t aware he had completely erased it all!

Xiao Yao stroked the mirror and said through tears. “Xiang Liu, in your eyes, am I really that meaningless? So you won’t even leave me a small memory!

Winny24:
Xy could not  even know even when he deleted them...all she know is when he told her to do so..

That's true. He deleted the memories in chapter 48 and she did not realize he had done so until after he died in chapter 51. And she wasn't sure when he had deleted them, which suggested that she had not tried to pull up those memories for a long time. Maybe she didn't even pull them up once since the Grand Emperor pulled them up in chapter 24. But on the night that she found out about his death, she did try to pull them up and was distraught when she could not and realized that he had erased them. 

Winny24:
it is a bold sharp cutting  of the relationship as not to have even in a memory as if he decides for them since they could not be anything (i was even thinking why he even try to CPR her in chapter 13).... was disappointed with her enough to let her swam in deep ocean..the whole night that she even did not want into play in sea for a time..XL had that temper..that give me a feeling that since XY is going for another man,..their relationship could not the kind...then it rather be nothing.. he will surely go out of her memory. 

We seem to have different interpretations of why XL acted that way and cut himself out of her memory. Again, I think that's okay. Nothing wrong with having different interpretations. 

To me, it wasn't about XL acting out due to having a jealous temper. It was about enabling her to get to her happy ending with TSJ, shielding her from the impact of his death, and stopping her from mourning him, to the extent that he could do so. 

The way I view it, he sent XY to TSJ in chapter 22 so she could save his life, and that marked the starting point when YaoJing's feelings were strengthened and deepened. In chapter 23, he took her to see Left Ear win his freedom after perserving for 40 years, and that gave her a renewed sense of hope and determination to keep waiting for TSJ to resolve his engagement, even though the 15 year promise expired many years prior and the situation had seemed rather hopeless. Then, when he and XY almost had a moment, he saw TSJ behind XY and intentionally scared XY right into TSJ's arms so that the two ran away together. In chapter 26, when XY's heart was filled with hidden pain at the sight of TSJ for the first time after his wedding with FFYY, XL sped up her heartbeat in order to disrupt the hidden pain and to cause her to have her first interaction with TSJ since his wedding. In chapter 31, he did not respond to the ice crystal ball message. In chapter 32, he took her away from Feng Long's wedding after making a deal with TSJ, and at the end of their time in QS town he goaded XY into visiting TSJ. That visit allowed XY and TSJ to begin reconciling and working together to resolve his marriage issue. Between chapter 42 and chapter 49, he saved TSJ's life and woke him up in time for TSJ to return to XY to stop her from becoming the Royal Mother, and later to finally marry her. And on the night before the final battle would begin, he carved a present for XY and TSJ's wedding that included a figure representing TSJ holding XY's hand and a message wishing them a lifetime of worry-free happiness. This seems like the opposite of someone with a petty and jealous temperment. 

Winny24:
Oki XL has 9 lives ...will hard for him to die., however he still can die, she has only one life.. so its more risky for her.. he only let it go when he's sure its really the end for him.

More risky for XY? It seemed like it was the other way around. XY was nearly assassinated in chapter 21, chapter 43 and chapter 44. She only ever had one life, so if she was killed, that was it. Whereas XL had several extra lives to spare, at least two of which he used to save her life and later to break the bug connection between them. XY even thought to herself that having the bug connection was like giving herself nine lives. 

-----

Chapter 49:

When Xiao Yao woke up and saw the sunlight from the window and the peach blossoms blooming, she didn’t know where she was but she knew she was alive.

Xiao Yao covered her eyes, if she knew it was this hard to die she would have never planted the Lover’s Bug in Xiang Liu years ago!

After some time, Xiao Yao sat up and called out, “Anyone there? Where is this place?”

From the red blossoms a figure in white rushed over and Xiao Yao almost forgot to breathe until she saw his green eyes and released a disappointed breath. “Lie Yang, why am I on Jade Mountain?”

“You were sick so Zhuan Xu brought you to the Royal Mother for healing.”

Zhuan Xu explained that she was sick? Fine, might as well stick with the story…..Xiao Yao asked, “Where is Zhuan Xu?”

“Left.”

Xiao Yao was relieved and asked, “Did the Royal Mother save me?”

Lie Yang didn’t answer her, transforming into a white bird and flying away.

Ah Bi walked in with a smile. “Your body was fine, the Royal Mother saw that you could breathe underwater so sank you into the lake filled with Jade Mountain spiritual essence and that woke you up.”

Xiao Yao smiled bitterly, such deadly poison couldn’t even kill her. Having the bug connected with Xiang Liu was like giving herself nine lives. But what was the point of living like this?

Winny24:
Yes hes secretly doing a lot but his intention we could not see in details..he wanted XY to well of for sure.. but his actions are as he did not care about the sentimental connection between them ..and not hesitate to use them for his other goal as well ... he will keep her alive of course. 

Yes, his actions were well designed to make XY believe that he did not care about her or their relationship beyond viewing her as a pawn and means for carrying out various transactions and political objectives. When clearly that was not actually the case and he cared for her deeply enough to go to great lengths to help her. Saving her life was part of that. Saving TSJ's life, so she would have a person to rely on for life, was part of that. Teaching her archery and secretly commissioning a legendary bow for her so that she could protect herself (as she did in chapter 44) was part of that. Reminding her that she always had a place to go (the ocean) was part of that. Helping her free herself from CX and the constraints of her identity was part of that. 

As for not hesitating to use XY to acheive other goals, I view it a bit differently. Like I said before, I view the deals he makes as a conevenient method that he uses to hide his original intentions, and I don't think he was manipulating XY in chapter 46 in order to use her as a tool to achieve other goals. Only to help further goals that were beneficial for her. 

Winny24:
It seemed he managed well.. HE DO IT ALL THROUGH RISKY WAYS! What confidence is that ! ..is there any lines saying  he could see future... He did not tell what he would do ...

XL could not see the future, but he could make predictions and plan accordingly. Perhaps his plan included some risks, but his predictions were sound and the risks proved to be worthwhile as, IMO, he got all the outcomes he wanted, and XY was the beneficiary. 

Winny24:
in chapter 48.. if Ar Bi and the other choose to attack him (because he did not explain anything) ... things might not end well..

Sir Bi and Lie Yang did attack XL in chapter 48. He endured their attack and continued focusing on healing XY. 

After Sir Bi realized that XL was helping XY instead of hurting her, he and Lie Yang stopped their attacks.

-----

Chapter 48:

After creating the maze barrier, Xiang Liu directly barged into the protective maze around Xiao Yao, doing so forcefully to save time. After he opened the seashell and pulled Xiao Yao into his arms, Sir Bi and Lie Yang arrived on scene and were kept outside by Xiang Liu’s maze.

Sir Bi pleaded, “Xiang Liu, please don’t hurt her! If you do, then Lie Yang and I will be forced to kill you!”

Xiang Liu had no time to spare to explain, he summoned all the colorful fishes in the lake to lock tails and surround him and Xiao Yao like a rainbow colored ball. The noise was thundering outside as Lie Yang and Sir Bi attacked the maze, but inside was a silent little oasis of just him and Xiao Yao.

Xiang Liu tightly embraced Xiao Yao in his arms and sat down cross legged on the seashell. He bit down on his own tongue to draw blood and then kissed Xiao Yao, feeding her his essential blood. The Lover’s Bug connected the hearts of lovers. As long as one breath remained, then life could be extended if essential blood was transfused.

Xiang Liu’s maze was broken and Lie Yang and Sir Bi rushed inside. Lie Yang was furious and his one attack caused all the fish to scatter, like a rainbow of light vanishing around Xiao Yao and Xiang Liu.

Lie Yang knew Xiao Yao’s body composition was strange, and seeing Xiang Liu kissing her, he thought Xiang Liu was using some voodoo spell to suck the life force out of Xiao Yao. He furiously struck Xiang Liu with a resounding blow, and Xiang Liu was in the middle of reviving Xiao Yao so he couldn’t move to protect himself and could only endure the harsh attack. Sir Bi sensed it was not what it looked like so interjected to stop Lie Yang.

Sir Bi grabbed Lie Yang’s hand from striking again. “He doesn’t appear to be harming Xiao Yao, her life force is getting stronger and stronger.”

Lie Yang stopped to sense and just like Sir Bi said, Xiao Yao’s life force was growing stronger. Lie Yang grumbled, “It’s not normal, what’s going on here!” But he didn’t try to attack again and instead formed a protective shield around Xiang Liu.

After some time, Xiang Liu emerged from the water carrying Xiao Yao in his arms. He said, “Thank you both for the assistance.”

Winny24:
well if he could tell future so hes already aiming that XY kill ZX and herself ?? Or  in the way she will kill herself  ? What if its something she made sure hes truely dead...killed herself in more crueler way ...he might not be able to save her ?? Or what if she was killed off by the guards.?

XL could not tell the future. He could only make predictions and plans. 

XY should have had people around her that would ensure that she was not killed, including CX, the Yellow Emperor, Miao Pu and Left Ear. CX stopped his guards from killing XY. The Yellow Emperor tried to keep CX and XY apart for both their sakes. Unfortunately, XY sent Miao Pu and Left Ear away so they were not present to stop her when she poisoned herself and CX selfishly didn't try to stop XY from poisoning herself even after she told him about it. 

But XY should not have been in a position where she was the cause of her own death. In exchange for helping XY find Miao Pu in chapter 43, XL got XY to promise him that she would live. XY broke that promise when she tried to kill herself in chapter 47. 

Even so, XL was still able to save XY's life, which took a lot of planning and effort. Despite the fact that the war between Xuan Yuan and the Shengnong remant army was entering a difficult final phase, he created the shell and blood magic that helped keep XY alive and sped up her healing, he used the favour that Ah Nian owed him to secretly send the shell to XY, he went to Jade Mountain, endured Lie Yang's attack, and saved XY and also took the opportunity to break the bug connection between them so that she would not die when he died, even though doing so cost him a life and required that he stab himself in the heart, weakening himself before the final battle. 

Winny24:
And what if Jing could not make it to before XY becoming Royal Mother.?

XL seemed to plan it perfectly so that he arrived at exactly the right time. 

I think we should give Jing some more credit here. He was the first one to get to XY after her assassination in chapter 21. And I'm glad he played an active part in bringing himself back to XY and getting to her at exactly the right time to stop the ceremony. 

TSJ was awakened five days before the Royal Mother succession ceremony. And of course the first person TSJ wanted to see when he returned was XY. That five-day period gave TSJ enough time to go to Shengnong Mountain first (where he expected XY to be) and then to get to Jade Mountain where the Royal Mother succession ceremony was happening without being too late. 

Too compeletely remove all risk, should XL have left the Shengnong army behind again in the middle of an active war (which CX noted was "reaching its final crescendo") to personally drop TSJ off at Jade Mountain at exactly the right time? That seems unfair to expect, and would have taken all agency away from TSJ. 

Winny24:
I even have a feeling that him giving her off the info is because hes angry from her saying of killing gong gong if he killed ZX.

XL was completely unphased when Lie Yang threatened to kill Gong Gong in chapter 48. So it seems extremely unlikely to me that XL decided to give XY that very important information in the heat of the moment simply out of anger over her threat to kill Gong Gong (if he were to kill CX) in chapter 46. 

-----

Chapter 48:

Lie Yang glared at Xiang Liu, “Your fight with the Black Emperor doesn’t involve Xiao Yao. If you dare get any ideas about her, Ah Bi and I will go kill Gong Gong first, and then kill you!”

Xiang Liu knew Lie Yang’s ornery temper so didn’t get upset, instead he calmly looked at Ah Bi and quietly asked, “Please keep Xiao Yao here, and I need to speak to you alone.”

Winny24:
it seems even like he's even intendly telling to deal the conflicts that will hurt her emotionally by knowing her beloved killed another beloved?? Xy had suffered enough ..why he thought she could deal with all these  harsh emotion if he has the guts and 9 brains to think ..

Are you saying you think it would be better for XY to never find out that CX was someone who was willing to kill the man she wanted to marry and spend the rest of her life with? That it would be okay for her to keep trusting him, prioritizing him, and thinking he would never, ever hurt her, and thinking that she owed it to him to never leave him? 

Because, in the long run, I think that would have posed a much bigger risk to XY's long-term happiness than the ending that we got thanks to XL's intervention. XY found out the truth, CX was forced to let go, XY and CX reconciled somewhat (after TSJ returned and advised XY to do so and CX accepted that XY would marry TSJ) but XY was still willing and able to leave CX and her old life behind in the end in order to have a truly happy life with TSJ away from it all. The temporary pain and hardship was worth it in order to get a proper, long-term happy ending. 

Winny24:
XY may get hurt if he ever show off his emotion and that not to suffer that sentimental emotion  so he erased all the memories for her?? (As some XL fan said)... how..

Even after everything, XL's death was still very painful for XY. If XY knew all the things that XL did for her and the feelings he had for her, how much more painful would his death have been for her?

If he left those memories behind, wouldn't she watch them (as she tried to do the night that she found out that XL died) as she mourned for him? Wouldn't that make it harder for her to move on from the saddness of his death?

Winny24:
Im sorry ... with my common sense and reading more in details..I could not take him selfless at all.. since Im not  you.. i wont be able to think or see the way you do..

No problem. We can have our own different interpretations. 

Blueberries Field:
It boils down to this: XL had the skills and timing/positional advantage to kill CX.

Yes, exactly. 

Blueberries Field:
It would contradict what XL has been doing for XY, which is ensuring her life is happy and free of worries. 

Yes, this is one of the main reasons why the possibility that XL was not actually trying to kill CX in chapter 46 seems relevant to me. 

Blueberries Field:
I did not know Gong2's background story, thanks for sharing it.

You're welcome!

He's a frustrating character but the few details I've gotten from the parts of Once Promised that I've read have been interesting. 

Blueberries Field:
However, I can't help but feel devastated by their decision to fight to the last person. It is truly tragic.

Truly tragic indeed. 

Blueberries Field:
It does leave room for interpretation regarding XL's intentions. Both possibilities seem plausible to me.

Nice to know I'm not the only one who thinks so :)

Blueberries Field:
Yes, I agree, ambiguity adds depth to the story, making it more thought-provoking.

Agreed, even if it can also be frustrating sometimes when you'd like a clear answer one way or the other. ^^

Since I don't want to talk too much about other characters in this YaoJing thread, I thought I'd share a scene from the chapter when TSJ returns to stop XY from completing the Royal Mother succession ceremony.

Edit: A happy moment to look forward to given all the pain and suffering that will happen first. The second trailer has so many dark moments. o.o

-----

Chapter 49:

Dawn arrived on Jade Mountain and illuminated the vistas.

Xiao Yao changed with the help of the servants into the most elaborate court dress and put on the Royal Mothers’ peach blossom crown. Once the ceremony was done and she took the Jade Seal from the Royal Mother and stamped it on the proclamation decree to the world then she would officially rule Jade Mountain.

Xiao Yao walked towards the ceremonial stage with the assistance of the servants, and both sides of the path were blooming peach blossoms.

Xiao Yao stared at the peach blossom forest and remembered when Jing proposed to her. It was on Cao Ao Peak on Sheng Nong Mountain, which didn’t have any peach blossom trees, but Jing knew her parents pledged their love under peach blossom trees so he used his power to conjure up thousands of miles of peach blossoms and as the petals rained down he nervously asked, “Tu Shan Jing wishes for Xi Ling Jiu Yao’s hand in marriage.”

Xiao Yao reached out her hand and caught a few peach blossoms and smiled.

The Royal Mother was dressed in ceremonial robes and waited for her on the altar. She lucidly watched Xiao Yao and the only spectator below the stage was Zhuan Xu, his face starkly white and exhausted as he kept his eyes on Xiao Yao without blinking.

Xiao Yao walked directly to the altar without looking anywhere else and the Royal Mother asked, “As custom, I shall ask one final time – once you are Royal Mother you cannot get married or ever leave Jade Mountain. Do you still agree?”

Zhuan Xu yelled “Xiao Yao———-“ with tears in his eyes, pleading with every fiber of his being.

Under the peach blossoms falling around her, Xiao Yao seemed to spot Jing and she tightly clenched her hands around the petals in her palm as she smiled at him and said, “I agree.”

The Royal Mother nodded “Fine!”

Zhuan Xu painfully closed his eyes.

Shui Hong led Xiao Yao on the stage and she knelt down as the Royal Mother took out the Jade Seal and started reciting the succession pledge.

Xiao Yao reached out and was about to take the Jade Seal when the sound of a crane calling anxiously reached them. Everyone looked skyward as the Royal Mother scowled. “Today is an important day and Jade Mountain is not accepting visitors!”

From the sky came a white crane with a blue-robed man standing on its back, refined and elegant.

Zhuan Xu’s expression darkened and he took a few steps back while Xiao Yao stood up with her eyes open wide in shock and her body shook in surprise.

The man in blue vaulted off the crane’s back and landed on the altar. He appeared to have just gotten over a grave illness, his complexion pale and wan and his figure thin. But his features were graceful and refined and his demeanor calm and composed. He politely bowed to the Royal Mother, “Tu Shan Jing from Qing Qiu. I’m here to pick up my fiancée. I heard from the servants that the succession ceremony was going on and I should have waited, but I had no choice but to barge in. So my apologies for the intrusion.”

The Royal Mother was dumbfounded and asked, “Tu Shan Jing? You didn’t die?”

Jing glanced at the regally attired Xiao Yao with tears in his eyes. “Xiao Yao, I’m back. I hope you don’t hold it against me for coming so late!” Jing walked towards Xiao Yao and two servants blocked his way with peach blossom branch canes. Jing didn’t want to anger the Royal Mother so stopped and said softly, “Xiao Yao, don’t become the Royal Mother. You promised to marry me!”

Xiao Yao walked off the altar as if in a dream towards Jing and the servants didn’t stop her after seeing the Royal Mother didn’t object.

Until she was standing before Jing, Xiao Yao still couldn’t believe this was real. She reached out her hand to touch his face “Jing, is it really you?”

Jing answered, “I am Wen Xiao Liu’s Ye Shi Qi. Because you counted seventeen leaves on the herbal branch, that is why I am called Shi Qi.”

Xiao Yao smiled through her tears, “You’re really back!”

Jing grabbed her hands, “I’m sorry for making you wait so long!”

Xiao Yao burrowed into Jing’s arms as her tears fell, “Jing, Jing, you’re finally back!”

AH :
We seem to have different interpretations of why XL acted that way and cut himself out of her memory. Again, I think that's okay. Nothing wrong with having different interpretations.

To me, it wasn't about XL acting out due to having a jealous temper. It was about enabling her to get to her happy ending with TSJ, shielding her from the impact of his death, and stopping her from mourning him, to the extent that he could do so. 

Yeah, either the author intended it to be somewhat ambiguous or it was just the way the characters were constructed, but XL can both inspire great admiration in some and disdain in others.

I've always felt (maybe more based on the drama since I cannot command your knowledge of all the novel details haha- I've just forgotten too much) that XL struggles with open communication. Yes, there are some reasons he has (foremost being he recognizes that even if he has feelings for XY, he deems that there is no where for them to go since they will always be on opposing sides). His past (being a slave, all the violence) also makes it difficult perhaps to open up or trust others completely. He tends to say one thing and mean another, especially when speaking to XY. As far as having a true heart-to-heart, that doesn't really happen. He never gives XY that.

With Jing, even though he disappoints XY at times, he is always open to communicate with XY what is going on and what he is feeling. He lets her decide. Among the many other reasons XY loves him, I like this aspect probably the most.

Sunbath12:
maybe more based on the drama since I cannot command your knowledge of all the novel details haha- I've just forgotten too much

Lol, thank you. My memory of details from the drama isn't as good. I think partly because it's a little harder to search for details in the drama, so I go back to it less often than the novel. 

I do think the dynamics are slightly different between the drama and the novel, so the analysis isn't always the same. 

Sunbath12:
He tends to say one thing and mean another, especially when speaking to XY. As far as having a true heart-to-heart, that doesn't really happen. He never gives XY that.

With Jing, even though he disappoints XY at times, he is always open to communicate with XY what is going on and what he is feeling.

I agree. 

XL lied or obfuscated the truth often, he hid his true feelings, and he never tried to have a true heart-to-heart with XY. He basically did the opposite by trying to make her think he had no feelings for her and viewed their relationship as purely transactional.

Unlike CX and XL, TSJ never hid his feelings and was the first one to confess them. When obstacles came up, he usually told XY about them right away. He didn't mind when XY tested him and (with some exceptions when he was trying to respect her space) he regularly assured her of his feelings for her. 

s2 final trailer is sooooooo emotional and painful to watch, the confrontations, spitting of blood, dying... i feel broken for all, esp this yaojing scene (˃̣̣̥ᯅ˂̣̣̥) (˃̣̣̥ᯅ˂̣̣̥) (˃̣̣̥ᯅ˂̣̣̥)

dtsj_sapphire:
s2 final trailer is sooooooo emotional and painful to watch, the confrontations, spitting of blood, dying... i feel broken for all, esp this yaojing scene (˃̣̣̥ᯅ˂̣̣̥) (˃̣̣̥ᯅ˂̣̣̥) (˃̣̣̥ᯅ˂̣̣̥)

I am going to need some cake and ice cream to get through those scenes.   Since I read the novel while watching S1 some of those scenes look just like I imagined them and I know they are going to be painful all around.

AH :
Unlike CX and XL, TSJ never hid his feelings and was the first one to confess them. When obstacles came up, he usually told XY about them right away.

AH :
XL lied or obfuscated the truth often, he hid his true feelings, and never tried to have a true heart-to-heart with XY. He basically did the opposite by trying to make her think he had no feelings for her and viewed their relationship as purely transactional.

Sunbath12:
With Jing, even though he disappoints XY at times, he is always open to communicate with XY what is going on and what he is feeling.

I agree with both of you.

Grumpy Witch 

I am going to need some cake and ice cream to get through those scenes.   Since I read the novel while watching S1 some of those scenes look just like I imagined them and I know they are going to be painful all around.

sooo true! we need comfort food to get through those and i think ill prepare towels beside me. at least from the trailer, it's close to how we imagined them detailed in the book, hope the full ep will show how broken XY is when Jing was nowhere to be found coz love how it was detailed in the book. we can also post book details as we reach those eps coz we love to be more broken and more in pain lol

im excited to see how the drama will carry out those heavy and emotional parts of the book like the scenes of XY and CX that ive been waiting for sooo long

Wow, now that's a trailer. I'm ready for the angst (not).

Sunbath12:

Wow, now that's a trailer. I'm ready for the angst (not).

lol. i think everyday we'll be half ready, half not. the final trailer's toooo much my poor heart can't (˃̣̣̥ᯅ˂̣̣̥)

dtsj_sapphire:

Grumpy Witch 

sooo true! we need comfort food to get through those and i think ill prepare towels beside me. at least from the trailer, it's close to how we imagined them detailed in the book, hope the full ep will show how broken XY is when Jing was nowhere to be found coz love how it was detailed in the book. we can also post book details as we reach those eps coz we love to be more broken and more in pain lol

im excited to see how the drama will carry out those heavy and emotional parts of the book like the scenes of XY and CX that ive been waiting for sooo long

Yes! 

Here's a short clip of Deng Wei. I think it's some sort of promotion for the drama. I saw a similar one from another of the actors.

https://h5.video.weibo.com/show/1034:5053676885049388

Grumpy Witch:

Yes! 

Here's a short clip of Deng Wei. I think it's some sort of promotion for the drama. I saw a similar one from another of the actors.

https://h5.video.weibo.com/show/1034:5053676885049388

thanksss for sharing!! (⁠✿⁠^⁠‿⁠^⁠) yes, they're all busy helping promote s2 and we, fans worldwide, are going nuts how to deal w the day and the coming eps for day 1 lmao busy and long day for all... (⁠≧⁠▽⁠≦⁠)