ChunTian:
Jing was the one who refused to give up even when trapped in his marriage with FFYY. People can call him soft for crying so much during that time, but the fox never gave up trying to find a way out to be with XY.

yeah!! lol but in the novel we don't see all the DNA testing although he did go to the elders to try to find out what exactly happened the night he was drugged.

He actually tried to ask Fenglong to call off the wedding first, which I am sore the drama left out. Ultimately Jing just wanted Xiaoyao to be happy. If she had looked happy when she went to see him, he would have let her marry Fenglong. 

soTreeD:

yeah!! lol but in the novel we don't see all the DNA testing although he did go to the elders to try to find out what exactly happened the night he was drugged.

He actually tried to ask Fenglong to call off the wedding first, which I am sore the drama left out. Ultimately Jing just wanted Xiaoyao to be happy. If she had looked happy when she went to see him, he would have let her marry Fenglong. 

If XY rejects Jing, he has a loooooooong Q of admirers ( all of us here included. Lol) waiting in line for him. Hahaha... But thankfully XY said yes to him. 

And Jing grew in S2. We see him owning up to his mistakes which shows his humility and self awareness. And he also decided that XY be the one who decides for herself. Proud of him. 

Actually I am really not happy about that line where he said he didn't let Xiaoyao choose... because the drama made Jing look like he manipulated Xiaoyao when in the novel there was nothing like that at all.
Drama team really just want Jing to look bad... grrrrr I never saw the scene where Xiaoyao not leaving with Xiangliu as a choice he forced her to make. Xiaoyao herself didn't want to risk dying with Xiangliu if they failed to escape the Haoling guards. It was such a weak excuse but there was no way the Haoling King would kill Tushan Jing just because Wen Xiaoliu escaped. So why would he think he forced her into choosing him?

In fact Jing did his very best not to mislead Xiaoyao whenever he could. He was engaged so he stayed away from her, but she was the one who got mad at him for not staying in contact for 20 months. He didn't even dare to question her about FFB when she wanted him to feel jealous over FFB - because Jing thought he had no right to do that.

He also refused XY's kiss like a gent because excuse me if he kissed her like how he did in Ep28, she will be completely driven by lust for him already hahahah He wanted to make sure that she really liked him before they proceeded to further their relationship.

Its not that I am a Jing fan so I don't see what he did as mistakes.
All conditions present at the time, what else could he have done?
His only 'mistake' was to remain kind to FFYY even when he knew she was only there to marry him for his status and money. He just didn't want there to be a casualty for Xiaoyao and his love.
And he didn't know her real nature, because Xiaoyao never bothered telling him.

But if Jing stopped being kind to just one person, won't that also compromise his own integrity? He already went to the clan leaders to advocate his own brother to be clan leader so he will look unfavorable to FFYY, he also didn't heal his leg so he could keep one more thing to turn her off heh

soTreeD:
Actually I am really not happy about that line where he said he didn't let Xiaoyao choose... because the drama made Jing look like he manipulated Xiaoyao when in the novel there was nothing like that at all.

Mmm...to me this is the part where he "locked XY in for 15 years" to wait for him to settle things. Jing realised that if someone wants to be with him, this part does not need to be in place. He felt that back then he "forced" XY to wait for him. But in the end, we know that XY did love him, because she willingly performed the wedding without him being physically there. In doing so, if Jing was really found dead, she would be his widow. (And I guess back in the day, widows do not remarry? For this point I will need someone to enlighten me.) So from this realisation, we can see Jing has grown and I am proud of him. 

soTreeD:
He also refused XY's kiss like a gent because excuse me if he kissed her like how he did in Ep28, she will be completely driven by lust for him already hahahah

You are cheeky! Hahahahaha 

But I have to agree with you, Jing looks like a cute fluffy fox, but he is actually a sexy wolf. *growl* LOL ;-)  

soTreeD:
All conditions present at the time, what else could he have done?

When watching a period drama, we have to bear in mind things back then were not the same as today. Royalty and nobles married for alliance; these days they marry whoever they wish without fear of causing a war. Children were sent to enemy kingdoms as hostage princes/princesses, no such things these days. Back then, it was not to be taken lightly as any misstep could cause war or the death of the hostage child.

Filial piety was another important aspect. It's not like these days if elders disagree with one's choice of a life partner, people just elope and elders protests are ignored. In those days, elders decided one's life partner. Yes, Jing broke his promise, but this was a tough situation he faced. Caught between the devil and the deep blue sea, feel bad for him. 

But in the end, we are happy that it all worked out for YaoJing. I too enjoy watching scenes with YaoJing, though some are very sad, their mushy scenes melt one's heart and makes you root for them. 

ChunTian:
And I guess back in the day, widows do not remarry

No I don't think its not allowed. Jing was going to remarry Xiaoyao openly after FFYY 'died from illness'. wasn't he?
What Xiaoyao did to wait forever for him and decided to live alone instead of seeking another companion was TH's way to show how much he meant to her, and he was never just someone that she chose because she wanted eternal companionship just 'anybody'.

Ah the 15 years... well... if he didn't put a timeline on the 'project', I am sure Jing haters will say he is leading Xiaoyao on LOL There is no winning for him because they literally hate him for breathing.

ChunTian:
But I have to agree with you, Jing looks like a cute fluffy fox, but he is actually a sexy wolf. *growl* LOL ;-)  

heeeheeeheee 

ChunTian:
Yes, Jing broke his promise, but this was a tough situation he faced. Caught between the devil and the deep blue sea, feel bad for him.

Right? If he was not Tushan Jing, breaking off his engagement probably won't be a big deal.
This grandma was really against him marrying the princess as well, so he really had no way to win that.
In fact, Xiaoyao helped her live longer out of filial piety to his elder, but ironically got backstabbed by her instead. If XY did nothing, and she died in half a year, Jing could have cancelled the engagement since he didn't need to follow what his grandmother would have wanted.

But timeline wise, I guess they couldn't win anyway, since grandma set him up immediately after Xiaoyao left for Haoling. She would have still sabotaged his life and just died before she got to meet her great grandchild.

soTreeD:
the 15 years

I have not read the novel, but I think if that old hag did not interfere with Jing's plans, he might have met the 15 years timeline or maybe not? But I guess since she knew she was going to die, and without the life extension, I think she would have forced Jing to marry FFYY on the same day he was crowned clan leader and called it double happiness. Then died immediately for dramatic effect to traumatise Jing. *cue shocked gasps* LOL Poor Jing...what is that Chinese idiom again? Born noble, crap life.  Yikes!!

Sighs....I hate Jing's grandmother. She single-handedly almost ruined his happiness. Who on earth roofies their favourite family member, condemning him to unhappiness forever!!?!!  WHO?!! Jing's grandma I guess. *FACEPALM* This also reminds us how sad it was to be born royal/noble in those days. If it's a guy in those days, at least there was the option of marrying your preferred gal as a concubine but she will get bullied by the main wife when the guy is not in. Messy.  As the girl, it's the end. XinYue is a very good example. CX will never go visit her and she cannot marry if she happens to meet someone else along the way. Tough! 

Lastly, if in the story, XL was willing to give up everything and be FFB and chased after XY.  I think Jing might really lose XY forever. (T_T) 

ChunTian:
Jing looks like a cute fluffy fox, but he is actually a sexy wolf.

It's always the "innocent, dull, boring", ones who are the sexy wolves, isn't it? *wink wink* hahhahaha 

Go go Jing!!  LOL

I love Tushan Jing, tell me, who knows, I can't understand about the bugs in any way, if XY didn't love XL, why didn't the bugs kill them both?Answer , who knows, please.

Uliya:

I love Tushan Jing, tell me, who knows, I can't understand about the bugs in any way, if XY didn't love XL, why didn't the bugs kill them both?Answer , who knows, please.

No one really said the bugs would kill them if there is no 'love'... the condition said you need the recipient to agree to plant it willingly and also if the couple 'betrays' each other, there will be repercussions and the bugs will turn into heartbreak bugs that according to the Uncle Lirong 'will lead to endless troubles'.
In the novel, they added that the bugs are supposed to link the couple in life and death, serving as a way to help sustain the life of the other in times of need.

Its never clear but Xiaoyao's chronic heartache over breaking up with Jing for nearly a decade might have been part of the backlash. Don't know how the bugs can tell she is thinking about another man. Or its just her own heartache. Its not explained how the bugs work. We only know for sure that Xiangliu could feel her pain over the years and so he knows how much she still miss TSJ.

Xiangliu has also exhibited signs of extreme pain. He seem to also receive Xiaoyao's pain but we saw how he was in pain seeing Xiaoyao being carried by TSJ in S1.
Some of us have guessed that Xiangliu's backlash was more severe than Xiaoyao but he was suppressing it with his spirit power as we saw in the drama. That's why in S2, when he threatened her, he made her fall down but since they are linked, it meant that he was feeling the same stabbing heartache as well.

ChunTian:
It's always the "innocent, dull, boring", ones who are the sexy wolves, isn't it? *wink wink* hahhahaha 

ROFL *wink wink*

Jing never forced XY with the 15 years,promise. So him. Sating he did not give her a choice is actually fan service because this is actually coming from all those Yaolui blogs comment and all. 

In the novel XY was given the choice by Hing to agree or not. 

I si f hate this drama,  this stupid fan service and insult and ridiculous portay of Jing.

Uliya:

Well well i think i will answer this with my own common sense. :D

@soTreeD answer it with info on bug already that  are shown on the drama.

Bug was not firstly planted in XL but in CX. Even if one want to argue that its not really planted. It's still perfectly work on CX. But it's permenantly planted in XL because he willingly took it. If CX had willingly took it will permenantly planted in him too. 

This bug to WXL was poisonuous. He intended to use it as protection or as controlling because XL could hurt her at times, use physical hurting as controling on her first.

However, I do think XY  love XL (after CX and Jing) because of random bond, but its not romantic to me though . Even though theres were some tease and playful moment , but i never really feel she fell in love with him like she did Jing.

If we took from the narrative, Jing is the only one who did not get bug connection, but in the novel , or even in drama, its most obvious XY is in love with Jing.  XY could be sad because she could not get with Jing. In the novel all her longing were address to Jing. Its the most truest thing we could track on the story narrative. 

XY is never really sad for not being able to live with XL. In fact she's completely well after she made up with Jing and XL had all given into Chenrong. Its just she wished a good life and maybe see him well at times ... thats all.

I guess that this lovers bug is such a playful tease , i find it as more of a myth to have to being in love for couple. It tests a lot on a person to believe such myth or something that is clearly seen. 

It tests a common sense of a person whether to believe in such unseen binding or to believe and follow how one feel and want. Or do we really need love spell for every relationship?

If one asked me this bug is a curse with a blessing. Because XL just took this bug in when he could see that WXL did not really know all facts on how it works. I dont think its mutual binding because of it. XL was never supposed to be that life partner for WXL .But he used it to save XY life. So its blessing. Nevertheless i could not deny he did not use it only for saving Xy life though, but probably took some advantage as well...

@soTreeD,Winny24    thanks for the reply) 

Uliya:

Hi Uliya! The intricacies of how the Lovers Bugs work (in both the novel and the drama) has been a point of confusion, debate and discussion for fans since the novel was first published in 2013. ^^

I've spent a lot of time thinking about it and discussing it with other fans. Between those discussions and some of the details that are included from the drama (which shows XL's perspective more often than the novel does), my interpretation of how the Lovers Bugs work (and why they didn't turn into Heartbreak Bugs that would have killed XL and XY) has changed over time since I first read the novel. 

I'll provide a summary of my current interpretation below and then excerpts from the novel and the drama script that helped me arrive at my current interpretation. Apologies in advance for the amount of text I'll be posting!

I'm open to hearing others' thoughts / interpretations. Maybe my interpretation will evolve some more. ^^

(1) Love at the time of planting. 

In the drama, XL asks Lirong Ji if it is possible to plant the bugs if there is no love between the couple that are intended to host the bugs. Lirong Ji advises that if there is no love between a couple and the poisonous bug is forcibly planted in them, then the bug will not connect their hearts and lives and the bug might harm the hosts' lives. 

In the drama, it is also confirmed that the bugs in XL and XY have indeed connected XL and XY's hearts and lives. Which (when one takes XL's question and Lirong Ji's response to it into account) suggests that there must have been enough love between XL and WXL when the bug was planted (in addition to XL willingly accepting the transfer) to achieve that result, which would not have been possible if there was no love between them. It's possible that WXL may have been unaware of, or unwilling to acknowledge, those feelings in her own heart. Although clearly when XY told XL that she was afraid that he would enter her dreams, she must have been aware that there was at least a risk that she would develop romantic feelings for XL, even if she wasn't aware that she already had such feelings on some level. 

Whereas when WXL tried to plant the bug in CX, since there was a lack of love between them (at least a lack of romantic love on WXL's side, and a total lack of love as far as the two of them were aware / as far as XL was aware at the time) and CX did not willingly accept the bug, the bug was not successfully planted in him and it did not connect CX and WXL's lives and hearts together. Which meant that, while the bug was in CX, it might pose a serious threat to both CX's life and WXL's life. In the drama, perhaps this threat to WXL's life was a significant factor that led XL to suggest transferring the bug to him and later accepting WXL's request to transfer the bug to him. 

Also, in the drama various characters use different terms to refer to the bugs and (unlike in the novel) it seems that XY never learns the bugs' real name. As far as I am aware, the only times we see their real name used in the drama is in the S2 scene where XL asks the Shaman King how he can remove the bugs and in the scene when he is speaking to XY (but she is unconscious) before he kills the bugs. In those scenes he refers to the bugs as 情人蛊 (lovers poisonous bugs). Whereas Lirong Ji refers to them as 情蛊 (love poisonous bugs).

In the novel, the Shaman King confirms that only lovers can raise / nurture / produce Lovers Bugs and that Lovers Bugs tie the lives and hearts of their hosts together. The Shaman King also confirms that the bug in XY at that time (in chapter 37) is a Lovers Bug and that once a Lovers Bug has been successfully planted, it is impossible to remove. XL also confirms that the bug was successfully planted in him (and was not successfully planted in CX) and that it ties their lives and hearts together. Which suggests that there must have been enough love between XL and WXL (whether WXL was aware of it / acknowledged it or not) at the time that the bug was transferred from CX to XL to ensure that the bug would turn into a Lovers Bug at that point. 

(2) Why did the Lovers Bugs not turn into Heartbreak Bugs?

In the novel, the Shaman King tells XY that Lovers Bugs are tempremental and hard to control. They are prone to backfiring, and if they do backfire, both hosts will die. For this reason, the bugs are also called Heartbreak Bugs. The Shaman King also tells XY that lovers produce Lovers Bugs while heartbroken people produce Heartbreak Bugs.

In the drama, Lirong Ji tells XL that bugs that are forcibly planted will not connect the hosts' hearts and lives and the bugs might retaliate and harm the hosts' lives. It seems to also be implied that even if the bugs are not forcibly planted (i.e., even if the bugs are successfully planted and become Lovers Bugs that connect the hosts' hearts and lives) the bugs might still be tempermental and difficult to control and might retaliate and harm the hosts lives if a host is heartbroken. 

In both the drama and the novel, we see that XL is powerful enough to control the bugs / the bug connection.

In the drama, we are shown directly that when the bugs try to backfire / retaliate (in a moment when XL is heartbroken), he is able to use his spiritual power to suppress the bugs to ensure that they do not successfully backfire / retaliate and turn into Heartbreak Bugs so that they do not threaten his life or XY's life. 

In the novel, XL's control over the bug is shown more indirectly (in scenes that are mostly also included, in some form, in the drama). For example:

• In chapter 37, the Shaman King tells XY that when a couple hosts Lovers Bugs and one host is emotionally hurt or injured, the other host will feel their emotional or physical pain. But in the many decades that XY and XL were connected by the Lovers Bugs, XY never felt XL's pain - except when he intentionally let her feel his pain in chapter 32. 
  • In chapter 26, XL is able to use the bug connection to speed up XY's heartbeat in order to interrupt her painful thoughts and heartache (caused by seeing TSJ for the first time since his marriage), to force XY to drop her fake smile, and to prompt TSJ and XY to interact for the first time since TSJ's marriage. Later in that chapter XY tries to control the bugs herself and fails.

So we know pretty much for certain that the reason the Lovers Bugs did not turn into Heartbreak Bugs (that would have killed XL and XY) in the drama is that XL successfully suppressed the Lovers Bugs when they tried to backfire / retaliate. 

The novel is less clear (and, as far as XY was aware, there were never any issues with the Lovers Bugs backfiring / retaliating), but it's possible that the same reasoning could also apply in the novel. 

My theory is that the backfiring / retaliation was caused by XL's heartbreak and possibly, in some cases, by XY's heartbreak too. 

Chapter 37:

Kanunu8
Google
Chat GPT
Koala
巫王咳嗽了一声,郑重地说:“情人蛊,顾名思义有一对雌雄蛊虫,中蛊的男女命脉相连、心意相通,一人痛,另一人也会痛,一人伤,另一人也会伤。”

小夭说:“这些我都知道,还有呢?”
The witch king coughed and said solemnly: "Lover Gu, as the name suggests, has a pair of male and female Gu worms. The lifeblood of the man and woman infected with the Gu is connected, and their minds are connected. If one person hurts, the other will also feel pain, and if one person is injured, the other will also be injured."

Xiao Yao said: "I know all these, what else?"

The Witch King coughed and solemnly said, "The Lover's Gu, as the name implies, consists of a pair of male and female Gu worms. The lifelines of the man and woman who have been affected by the Gu are connected, and they can understand each other's thoughts. If one feels pain, the other feels it too. If one is injured, the other will also be injured."

Xiao Yao said, "I know all that. What else?"

The Voodoo King coughed once and solemnly explained, “Lover’s Bug, like its name indicates, is a pair of male-female voodoo bugs. The couple who has the bug successfully planted will have their life and emotions connected. If one hurts then the other will hurt. If one is injured then the other will also be injured.”

Xiao Yao said, “This I know already. What else?”

* Note: This passage has been analyzed at length by fans because obviously the bug connection does not actually transfer injuries from one host to another. The general conclusion seems to be that we are meant to understand that if one host feels emotional pain, the other host will feel the same emotional pain and if one host feels physical pain (e.g., from an injury) the other host will feel the physical pain too.

As noted below, the connection between the Lovers Bugs in XL and XY is unique because XY does not feel XL's pain through the bug connection (except in chapter 32). XL is powerful enough to control the connection in order to prevent XY from feeling his pain. 
“蛊术在外人眼中,神秘歹毒,其实不过是我们九黎族一代代积累下的医术和防身术。九黎多毒虫、毒草、瘴气,为了活下去,祖祖辈辈都在努力了解它们、驾驭它们。蛊术以狠毒闻名大荒,可实际上,我们更多地用蛊救人。情人蛊让两人命脉相连,也就是说,纵然一个重伤,只要另一人生机旺盛,就可以让重伤的人活下来,这本是极好的事,即使难养,也应该有很多人想养,但为什么一直罕有人养呢?”

小夭问:“为什么?”

“孤阳不生,独阴不长,万物有利一面,则必有害一面,利越大,害就越大,情人蛊亦是如此。它能让有情人心意相通、命脉相连,可情人蛊就像相恋的恋人,脾气多变,非常难驾驭,蛊虫极易反噬,一旦发作,两人俱亡,所以情人蛊还有个名字,叫断肠蛊。”

璟震惊地看向小夭,小夭忙道:“哪里有他说的那么可怕?这都七八十年了,我不一直好好的?”

巫王悚然变色:“难道你的蛊不是种给这位公子?”

“不是。”

巫王面色怪异,问小夭:“能让我探看一下你的蛊虫吗?”
"Gu art is mysterious and poisonous in the eyes of outsiders, but it is actually just the medical skills and self-defense skills accumulated by our Jiuli people from generation to generation. Jiuli has many poisonous insects, poisonous grasses, and miasma. In order to survive, our ancestors have been trying to understand and control them. Gu art is famous for its viciousness in the wilderness, but in fact, we use Gu more to save people. Lover Gu connects the lifeblood of two people, that is, even if one is seriously injured, as long as the other is vigorous, the seriously injured person can survive. This is a very good thing. Even if it is difficult to raise, there should be many people who want to raise it, but why is it that few people have raised it? "

Xiao Yao asked: "Why?"

"No yang can grow alone, and no yin can grow alone. Everything has a good side, and there must be a bad side. The greater the benefit, the greater the harm. The same is true for the lover's Gu. It can make lovers communicate with each other and connect their lives, but the lover's Gu is like a lover in love. It has a changeable temper and is very difficult to control. The Gu worm is very easy to backfire. Once it breaks out, both of them will die. Therefore, the lover's Gu has another name, called the heartbreak Gu. "

Jing looked at Xiao Yao in shock. Xiao Yao hurriedly said: "How can it be as terrible as he said? It's been seventy or eighty years. Haven't I been fine all the time?"

"To outsiders, Gu techniques seem mysterious and sinister, but in reality, they are simply medical and self-defense techniques accumulated by our Jiuli tribe over generations. The Jiuli region is full of poisonous insects, poisonous plants, and miasma. To survive, our ancestors made efforts to understand and control them. Gu techniques are notorious for their cruelty in the Great Wilderness, but we often use them to save lives. The Lover's Gu connects two people's lifelines, which means that even if one is severely injured, as long as the other has strong vitality, the severely injured person can survive. This is actually a very good thing. Even though it is difficult to nurture, many people should want to nurture it. But why is it so rare?"

Xiao Yao asked, "Why?"

"Solitary yang cannot grow, and solitary yin cannot survive. Everything has both benefits and drawbacks. The greater the benefit, the greater the drawback. The Lover's Gu is no exception. It allows lovers to connect their hearts and lifelines, but like lovers in a relationship, it has a volatile temper and is extremely difficult to control. The Gu worms are prone to backfire, and once it happens, both people will perish. Therefore, the Lover's Gu has another name: the Heartbreak Gu."

Jing looked at Xiao Yao in shock. Xiao Yao hurriedly said, "It's not as scary as he says! It's been seventy or eighty years, and I've been just fine."

“To outsiders voodoo is considered mysterious and bad, but really it's a craft and magic that the Jiu Li tribe has passed down through generations to protect and heal us. Jiu Li has lots of deadly insects, deadly plants, deadly gasses, to live here our ancestors had to learn to understand it and control it. Voodoo is seen as a harmful power but we actually mostly use it here to save lives. The Lover’s Bug keeps two people’s lives connected, which means when one is injured as long as the other is healthy then the injured person will survive. This is a very good thing. Even if the Lover’s Bug is notoriously hard to grow, it ought to still be relatively prevalent since many people will try to grow it. So why it is so rare to see?”

Xiao Yao asked, “Why?”

“All living things that have a benefit must also carry a harm. The greater the benefit then the greater the potential for harm. The Lover’s Bug is exactly that. It can lead two people to be connected in life and emotions but it is just like a pair of lovers in love with each other. It is tempermental and hard to control. If the Lover’s Bugs turn on each other then both people will die. Which is why the Lover’s Bug also has another name: the Heartbreak Bug.”

Jing stared in dismay at Xiao Yao who quickly said, “It can’t be as scary as he makes it out to be. It’s been over seventy years and I’m still just fine.”
巫王悚然变色:“难道你的蛊不是种给这位公子?”

“不是。”

巫王面色怪异,问小夭:“能让我探看一下你的蛊虫吗?”

小夭点了点头。

也不见巫王有何动作,想来是用自己体内的蛊虫在探看。巫王眉头紧皱,喃喃说:“的确是情人蛊!怎么可能呢?‘有情人养情人蛊,断肠人成断肠蛊’,情人蛊和其他蛊都不同,必须要一对情人心甘情愿,才能种蛊,他若不是你的情郎,你怎么可能给他种下情人蛊?”
The witch king changed color in horror: "Isn't your Gu planted for this young man?"

"No."

The witch king looked strange and asked Xiao Yao: "Can I take a look at your Gu worm?"

Xiao Yao nodded.

The witch king didn't see any action, so he thought he was using the Gu worm in his body to check. The witch king frowned and murmured, "It is indeed a lover's Gu! How is it possible? 'Lovers raise lover's Gu, and heartbroken people become heartbroken Gu'. Lover's Gu is different from other Gu. It must be planted by a pair of lovers willingly. If he is not your lover, how could you plant lover's Gu on him?"

The Witch King's expression changed dramatically. "Your Gu wasn't planted in this young man?"

"No."

The Witch King looked at Xiao Yao with a strange expression and asked, "May I take a look at your Gu worm?"

Xiao Yao nodded.

Without any visible movement from the Witch King, it seemed he was using his own Gu worm to investigate. His brows furrowed tightly as he murmured, "It really is the Lover's Gu! How is that possible? 'Lovers nurture the Lover's Gu, the heartbroken become the Heartbreak Gu.' The Lover's Gu is different from other Gu worms. It must be willingly planted by a pair of lovers. If he is not your lover, how could you have planted the Lover's Gu in him?"

The Voodoo King’s expression changed as he stared at Jing, “You’re not the man the other bug is planted in?”

“No.”

The Voodoo King stared in shock at Xiao Yao. “Can I feel the bug in you?”

Xiao Yao nodded.

The Voodoo King didn’t move so he was likely using a bug inside of himself to sense. He furrowed his brows and murmured, “It really is a Lover’s Bug! But how is this possible? ‘Lovers who raise the bug produce the Lover’s Bug, Not Lovers who raise the bug produce the Heartbreak Bug.’ The Lover’s Bug is different then other voodoo bugs and absolutely requires the couple to willingly accept the bug for it to be successfully planted. If the man you successfully planted the other bug in is not your lover, then how did you plant it in him?”
小夭道:“你可大大比不上你的先祖,太拘泥于前人的经验了。猛虎生于山野是百兽之王,但如果长于斗定,不过是大一点的野猫。蛊虫不是死物,所以蛊术才变幻莫测。”

巫王心中百般不解,可小夭的情郎明显是她身边的这位公子,有些话不好再说,只得敷衍道:“姑娘教训的是,姑娘体内的蛊虫的确不同于一般的蛊虫,想来姑娘和那人都有特异之处。”

小夭叹了口气:“他是很特异!” 自从中蛊,只能相柳感觉到她,她却从没有感觉到他。
Xiao Yao said, "You are far inferior to your ancestors. You are too rigid about the experience of your predecessors. A tiger born in the mountains is the king of beasts, but if it grows up to fight, it is just a bigger wild cat. Gu worms are not dead things, so Gu techniques are unpredictable."

The witch king was puzzled, but Xiao Yao's lover was obviously the young man next to her. Some things were not easy to say, so he had to perfunctorily say, "What the girl taught is that the Gu worm in the girl's body is indeed different from ordinary Gu worms. I think the girl and that person have their own special features."

Xiao Yao sighed, "He is very special!" Since being poisoned, only Xiang Liu can feel her, but she has never felt him.

Xiao Yao said, "You are far inferior to your ancestors, too bound by their experiences. A tiger born in the wild is the king of beasts, but if it grows up in captivity, it's just a big cat. Gu worms are not lifeless things, which is why Gu techniques are so unpredictable."

The Witch King was deeply puzzled, but it was clear that Xiao Yao's lover was the young man beside her. Some things were better left unsaid, so he replied perfunctorily, "The young lady is right. The Gu worm in your body is indeed different from ordinary Gu worms. It seems both you and that person have unique qualities."

Xiao Yao sighed, "He is indeed very unique!" Ever since the Gu was planted, only Xiang Liu can sense her, but she was never able to sense him.

Xiao Yao said, “You might not know as much as your ancestors, the bug could be more multi-facted and evolving in ways beyond your understanding.”

The Voodoo King was still perplexed. But it was clear that the young man sitting beside Xiao Yao was clearly her beloved so the rest of what he wanted to say wasn’t suitable for discussing at this time. He smoothed things over. “Miss you are likely right, the bug inside of you is different than other bugs. Likely Miss and the other man have very unique bodily compositions.”

Xiao Yao inwardly sighed in relief. “He is very unique!” Since the bug was planted, only Xiang Liu could sense her but she could never sense him.
璟急切地问:“请问如何解蛊?”

巫王的脸皱成了一团,说道:“要么同心而生,要么离心而死,情人蛊一旦种下,无法可解。我刚才还想说,这也是为什么很少有人养它的原因,只有一些执拗的女子才会养此蛊,即使养成,也很难找到男子愿意种蛊。”
Jing asked anxiously, "How can I cure the poison?"

The face of the witch king wrinkled up, and he said, "Either live together or die apart. Once the lover's poison is planted, there is no cure. I was just thinking that this is why few people raise it. Only some stubborn women will raise this poison. Even if they do, it is difficult to find a man willing to plant it."

Jing asked urgently, "How can the Gu be removed?"

The Witch King's face wrinkled into a frown as he said, "Either live with one heart or die with separate hearts. Once the Lover's Gu is planted, it cannot be removed. I was about to say that this is also why very few people nurture it. Only some stubborn women would choose to nurture this Gu, and even if they succeed, it is difficult to find a man willing to plant it."

Jing anxiously asked, “How to break the spell?”

The Voodoo King’s face scrunched up. “The Lover’s Bug – either live in love or die in heartbreak. Once the Lover’s Bug has been planted there is no way to break the spell. It is impossible. This is what I was trying to say earlier for why so few people raise it despite the great benefit. Only very determined girls would raise the bug but even if they successfully raise it, it’s near impossible to find a man willing to accept the other bug to be planted in him.”
璟愣住,半晌后,才缓缓问:“如果种了情人蛊的一人死了,另一人会如何?”

巫王叹了口气:“我们九黎的歌谣说‘地上梧桐相持老,天上鹣鹣不独飞,水中鸳鸯会双死。’”
Jing was stunned. After a long while, he slowly asked, "If one of the people who planted the lover's poison dies, what will happen to the other person?"

The witch king sighed, "Our Jiuli ballad says, 'The phoenix trees on the ground will grow old together, the mandarin ducks in the sky will not fly alone, and the mandarin ducks in the water will die together.'"

Jing was stunned. After a while, he slowly asked, "If one of the people with the Lover's Gu dies, what will happen to the other?"

The Witch King sighed, "Our Jiuli folk song says, 'On earth, the phoenix trees grow old together; in the sky, lovebirds never fly alone; in the water, mandarin ducks die together.'"

Jing was stunned and after a moment of silence he slowly asked, “What happens if one person who has the Lover’s Bug dies? What happens to the other person?”

The Voodoo King sighed. “Our Jiu Li folk ballad sings ‘The twisted roots of the parasol tree entwine on land, the doves do not fly alone in the sky, the pair of mandarin ducks in the water always die together.'”
璟怔怔地看着小夭,猛地抓紧了她的手。

小夭笑着对他做了个鬼脸:“别担心!巫王的话不能全当真。巫王说,只有情人才能种情人蛊,我和相柳可什么关系都没有,我们依旧种了情人蛊。巫王还说,一旦种下,无法解蛊,可你别忘了,我这蛊先种给了颛顼,相柳不是帮颛顼解了蛊吗?”

璟松了口气:“对!颛顼的蛊就解了!”

小夭笑嘻嘻地摇着璟的手:“别犯愁了,天下没有绝对的事,前人解不了,我来解。"

她做出一副豪气干云的样子,对巫王说:“等我寻找出解蛊的方法,我传授给你,也算回报你的先祖传授我蛊术的恩德。”
Jing stared at Xiaoyao in a daze and suddenly grabbed her hand.

Xiaoyao smiled and made a face at him: "Don't worry! Don't take the words of the witch king seriously. The witch king said that only lovers can plant lover Gu. Xiangliu and I have nothing to do with each other, but we still planted lover Gu. The witch king also said that once planted, it cannot be removed, but don't forget that I planted this Gu for Zhuanxu first, didn't Xiangliu help Zhuanxu remove the Gu?"

Jing breathed a sigh of relief: "Yes! Zhuanxu's Gu is removed!"

Xiaoyao smiled and shook Jing's hand: "Don't worry, there is no absolute thing in the world, and the predecessors can't solve it, I will solve it."

She acted heroically and said to the witch king: "When I find a way to solve the poison, I will teach it to you, which is also a way to repay your ancestors for teaching me the poison technique."

Jing stared at Xiao Yao in a daze and suddenly tightened his grip on her hand.

Xiao Yao made a funny face at him and said, "Don't worry! You can't take everything the Witch King says as the absolute truth. He said that only lovers can plant the Lover's Gu, but Xiang Liu and I have no such relationship, and yet we still planted the Lover's Gu. He also said that once planted, it can't be removed, but don't forget, I first planted this Gu on Zhuan Xu, and didn't Xiang Liu help Zhuan Xu remove it?"

Jing let out a sigh of relief. "That's right! Zhuan Xu's Gu was removed!"

Xiao Yao cheerfully shook Jing's hand and said, "Don’t worry! Nothing in this world is absolute. If the predecessors couldn’t solve it, I’ll find a way."

She struck a heroic pose and addressed the Witch King, "Once I find a way to remove the Gu, I’ll teach it to you as a way to repay your ancestor for passing down the Gu techniques to me."

Jing stared at Xiao Yao and tightly grabbed her hand.

Xiao Yao smiled at him and made a joke face. “Don’t worry! We don’t need to believe everything the Voodoo King says. Don’t forget, he said that only in a pair of lovers in love could the bug be successfully planted. I don’t have any relationship with Xiang Liu, but we still successfully planted the bug. The Voodoo King also said the spell couldn’t be broken once the bug was planted but don’t forget that I planted the bug first in Zhuan Xu before Xiang Liu helped me break the spell and move the bug to himself.”

Jing let out a sigh of relief. “Yes! The bug was moved from Zhuan Xu!”

Xiao Yao shook Jing’s hand “Don’t worry, there is no absolutes in this world. If no one has broken the spell before then let me be the first.”

She said to the Voodoo King, “Once I break it I’ll pass on the knowledge to you as gratitude for your ancestor teaching me voodoo.”
 liddi:
liddi Dec 21, 2023 04:08 pm
 windiaaa041293:
The text in the leaked Episode 19 script says  XL bitten by a bug. and only XL was bitten by the bug.
xy wasn't bitten, and in this episode the bug didn't bite XL, but instead shone a light on XL and xy's chest.
So it's not due to being bitten by a bug (in my opinion). And it has nothing to do with reactions involving jing

Unfortunately, I can't find the leaked script you shared in the Tong Hua super topic on Weibo. This is what I managed to translate based on the OCR text.

S1Ep19 - Xiang Liu suppresses lovers bug

On the shore by the ocean, Tushan Jing carried Xiao Yao and left, limping as he did so.
Xiao Yao's words reverberated in Xiang Liu's mind.

XY (VO): However, I am still afraid that if I was not careful, you might enter my dreams. You... are definitely not suitable to enter a girl's dreams. That is possibly far more terrifying than death indeed.

Xiang Liu's eyes were sorrowful, and he smiled self-deprecatingly. A glow that appeared over his heart (the poisonous bug) was struggling, floating, trying to retaliate. Xiang Liu ruthlessly pressed his hand on his heart, suppressing it forcibly with his spiritual power. With the spillover of spiritual power, snowflakes danced around him.

LRM (VO): The love poisonous bug demands not only your life but your heart. You have nine lives, but only one heart!  Even if it was forcibly planted, it will lead to endless troubles. Not only are the hearts unable to be connected and share the same fates/lives, but the poisonous bugs may retaliate and harm their lives.

Despite suffering from heart-wrenching pain, he continued to smile. With Xiang Liu's spiritual power suppressing it, the glow (poisonous bug) was gradually brought under control.
After one last look at Tushan Jing and Xiao Yao, Xiang Liu turned, hand over his heart, and staggered in the midst of falling snowflakes towards the depth of the ocean. Against the vast ocean under the blue sky, the figure in white gradually disappeared into the distance in the snow.

The Lirong old man said that if the bug was forcibly planted, it would lead to endless troubles. However, the bug was very easily transferred to him, and the walnut disappeared immediately after that, which signified that it was successfully planted. In addition, before he destroyed the bugs, Xiang Liu also confirmed that the bugs were successfully planted, which means what the Lirong old man said was not applicable to them.

liddi:
liddi Sep 13, 2023 09:07 am
@AH

Here are my translations:

Ep12  (no equivalent scene in the novel):
"Legend has it there are male-female poisonous bugs which are very difficult to cultivate. One is male, the other is female, with equal power. The one who raises them cannot control the poisonous bug. Mostly women raise it for their lovers, hoping for wholly devoted, loyal love. Once it is planted, the couple's hearts and lives are joined, living and dying together. As such, it is also called love poisonous bug."

"If there is no love between the couple, would it be possible to plant the bug?"

"No, no, no. However, the art of poisonous bugs is mysterious and unpredictable. Perhaps it is possible. Even so, forcibly planting it will lead to endless troubles. Not only are they unable to join their hearts and lives together, but the poisonous bugs will attack them and harm their lives."

"How can they be removed?"

"Its planting relies on 情意 love, as does its removal. If it has not been planted for long, it is possible to transfer it to another person while its foundation has not yet stabilised. However, the other person must have love in his heart. The love poisonous bug demands not only your life but your heart. You have nine lives, but only one heart. Once your heart is given, you can never take it back."

The term 情意 does mean affection, but also refers to love between a man and a woman. So for me, I would have translated it as love.

Vol 3 Ch 4   (Chapter 37 )
The shaman king coughed and solemnly said, "The lover's bug, as the name suggests, has a pair of male and female bugs. The man and woman who has planted the bug will have their lives and hearts intertwined. If one is hurt, the other will also feel the pain. If one is injured, the other will also be injured.“
:
”It enables two lovers to be connected in their hearts and lives. However, the lover's bug is also like a lover in love with each other. It is temperamental and difficult to control, will easily retaliate. Once that happens, both of them will die. That is why the lover's bug has another name, called the heartbreak bug."
:
The shaman king's face paled in horror. "Did you not plant the bug in this young master?"

"No."
:
He frowned and murmured, "It is indeed the lover's bug! But how is it possible? 'Lovers raise the lover's bug. Broken-hearted people produce the heartbreak bug.' Lover's bug differs from other bugs. It requires the couple to be willing in order to successfully plant it. If he is not your lover, how did you manage to plant the lover's bug in him?"
:
The shaman king was extremely puzzled but Xiao Yao's lover was obviously the young man next to her so there were some things he could not verbalise. As such, he responded perfunctorily, "You are right. The poisonous bug in your body is different from other bugs. It is likely there is something unique about you and the other man."
:
Jing eagerly asked, "How can the bug be removed?"

The shaman king's face wrinkled up. "They either live together, or die apart. Once the lover's bug is planted, it cannot be removed...."
:
Jing was stunned, and after a long while, he slowly asked, "If one person with the lover's bug dies, what will happen to the other person?"

The shaman king sighed. "Our Jiu Li folk ballad sings, 'The sycamore trees on the ground will grow old intertwined, the jian birds in the sky will not fly alone, the mandarin ducks in the water will die together.'"

Vol 3 Ch 15  (Chapter 48)
Xiang Liu sat next to the peach blossom boat and stared at the sleeping Xiao Yao before softly saying, "'The sycamore trees on the ground will grow old intertwined, the jian birds in the sky will not fly alone, the mandarin ducks in the water will die together.‘ The lover's bug connects our hearts and lives, and is impossible to remove! Back then, I could remove the bug from Zhuan Xu only because he did not willingly accept it, so you never successfully planted it in him in the first place. However, I was wholeheartedly willing to let you plant it in me! You kept asking me to remove the bug and I kept telling you it was not possible. I know you didn't believe me, but I was not lying. I really cannot remove it!"
"I cannot remove the bug, but I can kill it."

The text in chapters 37 and 48 are quite similar in both versions.

There is no equivalent scene for Ep19 in the novel.  I wonder whether the drama was trying to show that if one party is heartbroken over the other person, the lover's bug will retaliate, irrespective of whether the other person had or had not fallen out of love?

liddi:
liddi Oct 10, 2023 05:26 pm
Leaked script Ep19 scene 25-26   (Vol 3 Ch15 / Chapter 48)
Xiang Liu severs the lovers bug connection between them

At dusk, the lake at Jade Mountain rippled blue-green waves, while the plum forest bloomed as it had for thousands of years. Xiang Liu, all dressed in white, stood alone by the lake. His eyes were peaceful as he silently waited.
A Nian came up behind him.

AN: Xiang Liu, I have brought Older Sister to Jade Mountain as you requested.

Xiang Liu's eyes immediately chilled before he turned to face her.

XL: Your Majesty is true to your word after all.
AN: What exactly are you planning to do?

Ah Nian stared at him, suspicious and uncomprehending.

Night had fallen, the moon pale with sparsely scattered stars in the sky.

A pale Xiao Yao laid unconscious in the seashell floating on the lake. Xiang Liu stood on the surface of the water beside her, looking down upon her. His expression was calm but his eyes were filled with yearning and reluctance.

With a wave of the hand, the xingxing mirror hidden in Xiao Yao's bosom flew into Xiang Liu's hand. As his hand brushed over it, images of himself appeared in the mirror. While his eyes were filled with tenderness and reluctance, he continued to channel his powers and the images gradually vanished.

At last, he returned the mirror to Xiao Yao with another wave of the hand. Sitting cross-legged in the seashell, he activated the poisonous bug and its glow emitted from his chest like a beating heart. A similar glow appeared on Xiao Yao's chest, shining together in response to Xiang Liu's.

Xiang Liu gazed at Xiao Yao as he spoke softly with a tenderness that he never had.

XL: Silly girl, to even dare to recklessly plant the lovers bug that connects hearts and lives! "The sycamore trees on the ground will grow old intertwined, the mythical jian bird in the sky will not fly alone, the mandarin ducks in the water will die together." The lovers bug connects our hearts and lives, and is impossible to remove. Back then, I was able to remove the bug from Cang Xuan only because he did not willingly accept the bug, so you never properly plant the bug in him in the first place. I however, was wholeheartedly willing, and allowed you to properly plant it in me. You kept asking me to remove the bug and I kept telling you it was not possible. You never believed me, but I was not lying. I really cannot remove it.

Using his finger as a knife, Xiang Liu slashed two cuts on Xiao Yao and his own palms.

XL: I may not be able to remove the bug, but I can kill it (sly smile) Don't blame me for deceiving you. Who told you to only ask me whether I could remove the bug, but never asked whether I could kill it.

With a smile, Xiang Liu held Xiao Yao's two hands in his. Their palms were joined, blood and flesh intermingling and Xiang Liu began to chant the bug spell. As he chanted, glowing lights emerged from their bodies like countless fireflies flying around them. There were fireflies all over the night sky and the lake surface. The lights on the surface of the water, and the reflection beneath complemented each other perfectly, what was real mixed with what was not. It seemed that lights covered the sky and the depths of the water, as mesmerising as a dream.

From behind Xiang Liu emerged the reflection of the nine-headed demon's true form, except there were only eight heads left, one life having been sacrificed to save Xiao Yao years ago. A razor sharp dagger made of ice appeared in Xiang Liu's hand. Ruthlessly, he stabbed the dagger into his own heart, and one of his heads disappeared in agony. Xiang Liu pulled out the dagger and blood gushed forth from the wound, spilling on to the seashell and Xiao Yao's body. His seven-headed form was visibly weakened.

The glowing lights surrounding him were like bloodsucking insects, rushing into his chest and slowly vanishing inside, as if they had burrowed into his body. In the midst of it all, another of Xiang Liu's heads started fading away. By the time all the lights disappeared, that head too was gone.

His face deathly pale, Xiang Liu covered his chest wound with one hand while the other took out a pill the size of a longan - the same healing pill made from Xiao Yao's blood. Instead of using it to heal himself, he fed it to Xiao Yao, and the wounds on her palms healed quickly, her face restored to a rosy hue.
Xiang Liu gazed at Xiao Yao, as the form with the remaining 6 heads vanished behind him.

XL: Your bug has been removed! From here on, there is no more connection between us!

Chapter 48:

Kanunu8GoogleChat GPTKoala
    相柳坐到桃花舟旁,凝视着沉睡的小夭,轻声说:“地上梧桐相持老,天上鹣鹣不独飞,水中鸳鸯会双死,情人蛊同命连心,的确无法可解!当年我能帮颛顼解蛊,只因为颛顼并非心甘情愿种蛊,你根本没有真正把蛊给他种上,我却是心甘情愿,真正让你种了蛊!你三番四次要我解蛊,我一直告诉你解不了,我知道你不相信,可我的确没有骗你,我是真解不了蛊!”
Xiangliu sat down beside the peach blossom boat, staring at the sleeping Xiaoyao, and whispered: "On the ground, the phoenix trees will grow old together, in the sky, the mandarin ducks will not fly alone, in the water, the mandarin ducks will die together, and the lovers' Gu is bound together by the same fate, there is really no solution! Back then, I was able to help Zhuanxu remove the Gu only because Zhuanxu was not willing to plant the Gu. You did not really plant the Gu in him, but I was willing and let you plant the Gu! You asked me to remove the Gu again and again, and I kept telling you that I couldn't do it. I knew you didn't believe it, but I did not lie to you. I really couldn't remove the Gu!"

Xiang Liu sat by the peach blossom boat, gazing intently at the sleeping Xiao Yao. In a soft voice, he said, "The earthbound phoenixes grow old together, heavenly birds do not fly alone, and mandarin ducks in the water die together. The Lover's Gu connects lives and hearts; it truly cannot be undone. I was able to help Zhuan Xu because he did not willingly accept the Gu, and you never truly implanted it in him. But I willingly allowed you to plant the Gu in me. You have repeatedly asked me to remove the Gu, and I've always told you it can't be done. I know you don't believe me, but I truly am not lying to you. I really cannot remove the Gu."

Xiang Liu sat down next to the raft and stared at the sleeping Xiao Yao before softly saying, “The tree grows old on land together, the mandarin ducks die together in the waterthe Lover’s Bug connects heart to heart and our lives, and there truly is no way to remove the bug. Years ago I was only able to remove the bug from Zhuan Xu because he didn’t know it was you so he didn’t willingly accept the bug. So you never successfully planted the bug on him in the first place. But I….I was heart and soul willing, so the bug successfully planted in me. You asked me to remove the bug and I kept telling you I can’t do it, but you didn’t believe me. But I truly didn’t lie to you, I cannot remove the bug.”

獙君完全明白了,小夭和相柳种了同命连心的情人蛊,所以相柳能救小夭,等小夭生机恢复,相柳又为小夭解了蛊。其实,他并不是解了蛊,而是用命诱杀了蛊,这种同归于尽的解蛊方法,也只有九命相柳能用。
[Bì jūn] completely understood that Xiaoyao and Xiangliu had been infected with the lover's Gu, so Xiangliu was able to save Xiaoyao, and when Xiaoyao recovered, Xiangliu cured her of the Gu. In fact, he did not cure the Gu, but killed the Gu with his own life. This method of curing the Gu, in which both sides died, could only be used by Xiangliu, who had nine lives.

[Bì Jūn] completely understood now. Xiao Yao and Xiang Liu had planted the Lover's Gu, connecting their lives and hearts. That's why Xiang Liu could save Xiao Yao. When Xiao Yao's life force recovered, Xiang Liu "removed" the Gu for her. In reality, he hadn't removed the Gu but had used his own life to lure and kill the Gu. This self-destructive method of breaking the Gu could only be used by someone like the nine-lived Xiang Liu.

Sir Bi understood what happened – the heart-and-life-connected Lover’s Bug was planted between Xiang Liu and Xiao Yao, which is why Xiang Liu could save Xiao Yao’s life earlier. Xiang Liu managed to now break the bug by using his own life as the lure to kill the bugs. It was a suicidal method, but a method that only Nine Lives Xiang Liu could use by taking one of his lives.