AH :
And I felt like the added dialogue between TSJ and his astral fox in S2 Ep6 basically made that same point (showing that TSJ was being unselfish), but in a much more straightforward way (by actually having TSJ verbalize his thoughts) instead of just showing us that he didn't try to find XY.

Thanks again for the analysis - I'd never have the time or ability to do this myself! I'm quite ok with the added dialogue/scene in the drama because as you pointed, it just puts into words more plainly how I viewed the 15 year promise.

soTreeD:
For the fans to say Jing forced her to promise - they can't see that it is his own promise to Xiaoliu. He didn't ask for to wait indefinitely for him. It is reasonable to set a deadline. In fact, he felt he needed 20 years but he thought it was too long and he cut it down himself.

When watching the scene in the Dragon Bone prison from S1, I always got the sense that this promise Jing has XY make is not really about tying her down to him but more of a reflection upon his self-doubting and insecurity. He's sure of his feelings for her, but he can't be sure at that moment if WXL/XY would fully accept him. And at that time he can't really guarantee either that he can resolve the engagement issue with FFYY. So the rational part of him understands all this, but his heart really wants to be with XY.

And sure enough, in the following 15 years (and more), he doesn't bring up that promise again in a way the says "hey, you broke your promise, etc" He sees XY go off to hang out with FFB, and he doesn't force her not to.

And so, in the novel, when he has FFB steal XY from the wedding, it is more to save her from a lifetime of unhappiness. I believe Jing tries to have FL break off the engagement, but that didn't work (unfortunately, this wasn't shown in the drama), so the next plan was FFB. And I agree with AH, after FFB leaves with XY, Jing doesn't try to find where they are. He seems surprised that XY came to look for him later on. Hence, I quite like the added dialogue, it shows more plainly that Jing is putting XY first, letting her decide (he thinks she's moved on as well). More importantly, it shows how his love for her has matured, that he is willing to let her go if that would make him happy.

AH :
I feel like I should be contributing some non-text content as penance for so many long text posts. 

Penance?! LOL... Nah...not at all, @AH. =)

Thank you for sharing DangerMousie's sweet YaoJing's post.

AH :
He still had it in chapter 20. But I wonder if maybe his limp might have been healed (fully or partly) thanks to one of XY's general treatments for his other health issues / injuries? Like the long-term prescriptions she gave him in chapter 33 or the life-saving pill she made for him in that chapter as well, which he ended up taking in chapter 42?

Awwww...thank you for this. 

After seeing Jing's wounds in EP2 in S1 and then Jing telling XY to leave his knee be in EP 28, it is always a niggling thought at the back of my head that he should get it fixed. LOL 

Sunbath12:
Thanks again for the analysis - I'd never have the time or ability to do this myself!

You're welcome! Thanks for reading it. ^^

Sunbath12:
And sure enough, in the following 15 years (and more), he doesn't bring up that promise again in a way the says "hey, you broke your promise, etc" He sees XY go off to hang out with FFB, and he doesn't force her not to.

And, ironically, XY wanted TSJ to be jealous of the fact that she was spending time with a playboy like FFB. She wanted him to know about it and she waited for him to react. 

And although she complained about TSJ reminding her of the 15 year promise, when TSJ tried to hold himself back and not pressure XY, she was much more upset. Luckily TSJ started sending her wine again as soon as he realised his misunderstanding. 

IMO, XY wanted TSJ to regularly reassure her of his feelings so that she (a person with abandonment issues) could feel wanted. 

-----

Chapter 16: 

A carriage stopped beside them and the curtain was raised as Fang Feng Yi Yang incredulously called out, “Second brother?”

Fang Feng Bei was very nonchalant and said with a smile, “Little sister, long time no see.”

Xiao Yao’s body stiffened because she sensed someone else was looking at her.

Xiao Yao didn’t know what to feel. She had been learning archery from Fang Feng Bei for 16 months and with the Tu Shan clan’s information network and her and Fang Feng Bei’s identities, Jing must have heard about it a long time ago. Or perhaps in the beginning before she really understood Fang Feng Bei’s devil may care attitude, she never believed he would really teach her archery so she wasn’t even learning in earnest. She didn’t reject Fang Feng Bei getting close because she wanted the news that she was hanging out with him to spread across all the powerful families and reach Jing. Xiao Yao wanted Jing to know but she didn’t know why she did that. She just wanted to do it so she did it.

Later Xiao Yao realized she was mistaken about Fang Feng Bei and he really was teaching her archery. She began to learn in earnest and gradually she felt her initial purpose wasn’t important, but she still waited for how Jing would respond. But after 16 months she had totally given up waiting and felt she was so lame. Thank goodness Fang Feng Bei turned out to exceed her initial expectations otherwise it wouldn’t just be lame, it would have been pathetic.

But just as she had forgotten, he suddenly appeared and even brought along his fiancee!

Fang Feng Yi Yang got off the carriage as did Tu Shan Jing. 

Xiao Yao lowered her head. “You sent me nine bottles of plum wine.”

“Yes.”

“Then I heard nothing from you.”

Jing thought carefully about what she said and then asked, “Are you asking why I didn’t contact you again?”

“Yes.”

Jing thought about it and said, “First, Feng Long gave me something that was rifled through and I suspected someone close to me was not trustworthy. Before I find out who it is, I have to be careful. Second, both my identity and Zhuan Xu’s identity are very special and it’s not suitable to communicate often. Tu Shan clan has our clan rules. My grandmother already chastised me for sending a present to Zhuan Xu. Thirdly, the last time I saw you, you complained that I was trying to remind you of your promise so I controlled myself not to cause you any more stress.

The first and second reasons were totally acceptable, but the third reason…..Xiao Yao was so infuriated she flopped on the pallet and buried her head in her arms.

“Xiao Yao….”

“Don’t talk to me! I don’t want to talk to you right now!”

Jing really stopped talking, and Xiao Yao was such a talker she couldn’t take it anymore. “When you are leaving tomorrow?”

“First thing in the morning.”

“Play with me tonight!”

-----

Chapter 17:

Xiao Yao sat up in shock and opened the box on the foot of her pallet and pulled out a bottle of plum wine. Jing found a way to send plum wine every few months now, whether it was because he found the spy or another way to avoid his grandmother, or because of his alliance with Zhuan Xu and Feng Long.

Xiao Yao gulped down the wine and felt like she got strength from Jing and slowly calmed down. 

Sunbath12:
More importantly, it shows how his love for her has matured, that he is willing to let her go if that would make him happy.

My two favourite things about chapter 33 are how it shows the ways that both TSJ and XY's approach towards one another has matured and become more selfless and the fact that they finally start to communicate honestly and work together to solve their shared problems. 

ChunTian:
Penance?! LOL... Nah...not at all, @AH. =)

<3

ChunTian:
Thank you for sharing DangerMousie's sweet YaoJing's post.

ChunTian:
Awwww...thank you for this. 

You're welcome!

@Winny24
This was my guess, not proof, you didn't understand me at all, I didn't say that XY loves XL, and I personally think that XY loves TSJ. I just didn't understand how bugs work, based on their name "lovers" , that's all. 

So I asked those who figured out how bugs work to respond. 

Please be kinder to people. 

Thank you all for the answers!)

@Sunbath 

When watching the scene in the Dragon Bone prison from S1, I always got the sense that this promise Jing has XY make is not really about tying her down to him but more of a reflection upon his self-doubting and insecurity. He's sure of his feelings for her, but he can't be sure at that moment if WXL/XY would fully accept him. And at that time he can't really guarantee either that he can resolve the engagement issue with FFYY. So the rational part of him understands all this, but his heart really wants to be with XY.

And so, in the novel, when he has FFB steal XY from the wedding, it is more to save her from a lifetime of unhappiness. I believe Jing tries to have FL break off the engagement, but that didn't work (unfortunately, this wasn't shown in the drama), so the next plan was FFB. And I agree with AH, after FFB leaves with XY, Jing doesn't try to find where they are. He seems surprised that XY came to look for him later on. Hence, I quite like the added dialogue, it shows more plainly that Jing is putting XY first, letting her decide (he thinks she's moved on as well). More importantly, it shows how his love for her has matured, that he is willing to let her go if that would make him happy.

Whether insecurity or not insecurity, the Dragon Bone promise was made due to Jing afraid of losing track on WXL forever. But I do like how he admit all his feelings.  About breaking engagement, guarantee or not guarantee but nothing will be happening to what one wants if not gonna give chance to that at all. But their first date as TSJ and XY , Jing was actually willing to take it back if XY really wanted to cut the promise. 

As for FFB/XL taking her away from her wedding to Feng Long, umm yes its mainly for her lifetime happiness. But i will still not excuse his method of doing so for whatever reason because it still sound like she had to payback at least to get something from him. In here is her reputation. XY may not mind it deeply (although she did mind it anyway), its because of her status overall that help her from this degrading. But then i guess its XL style. I still considerate of him at least for success in making xy not get married to Feng Long. 

ChunTian:
After seeing Jing's wounds in EP2 in S1 and then Jing telling XY to leave his knee be in EP 28, it is always a niggling thought at the back of my head that he should get it fixed. LOL 

In the novel, Pimply very sweetly gave up his 老婆本 ( money he saved up for marriage ) to ask Shiqi to get properly treated at a 'proper clinic' because they felt Xiaoliu's skills for bonesetting was no good LOL
At the time, Shiqi turned him down and said as long as Xiaoliu doesn't mind it, he doesn't mind. ( aaaw )
Too bad the drama didn't show this.

When they first reached Haoling, Xiaoliu mentioned that there should be good stuff in the palace that can cure his leg. ( pretty funny considering at that point, she was still pretending to be Xiaoliu but totally acting like that is her house to make such offers ) ... Later at the Chenrong mansion, she wanted to relook at it again and asked him if he wanted to fix it again, before they had their kiss when Jing confirmed she is not the one who minds his leg.

Even his father-in-law, the King of Haoling, mentioned later that he should get that leg fixed as well.

At the time, I think Tushan Jing felt that his inner wounds were still there, so it didn't matter about his outer wounds. Eventually, my guess is, once he is finally enjoying his happily ever after with Xiaoyao, he will fix it. It will be a nice way to show that he has been healed, both in spirit and now in body.

PS and I standby my fic that Jing needs to chase his naughty children down, so he will have to fix it sooner or later. heehee

soTreeD:
At the time, I think Tushan Jing felt that his inner wounds were still there, so it didn't matter about his outer wounds.

He can be sooooooooo stubborn too. LOL

AH :
Although I think TSJ wouldn't want XY to choose to risk dying for his sake in either case. ^^

Exactly hahah Xiaoyao was being quite stubborn about it lol
A dead gf or a live one who received CPR from another man, I am sure Jing would never mind and always choose the live gf hahaha

But I think in the novel, after Xiaoyao became a woman/girl again, she became very 'hyper-vigilant' about the boundaries of the sexes, compared to how she was back when she was Wen Xiaoliu.

The two extra characters we never got to see in the drama, Bi Jun and Lie yang, were also there to show her new shyness about her new body and identity now. She hugged them out of joy but after she  remembered they have male bodies and its mentioned she felt shy doing it as well.

In addition, no matter how afraid she was of Xiangliu, she actually dared to voice out and no longer allow him to bite her neck. All these showed that Xiaoyao was determined that as a woman, she will maintain that boundary with other men except Tushan Jing.

In the novel, she was already hugging him by the waist on literally the first day they met again as man-woman... on the boat after their little tiff. When she said he was cunning, she was running her fingers through his hair, a very girlfriend move, which... probably not possible to do for the drama wig, and the drama team wanted to make drama ver of Xiaoyao seemed more frustrated than the novel version.
She is shown to be insecure, and I think she was worried if the reason Jing didn't want to kiss her, was because he didn't find her attractive enough. While poor Jing was dying to kiss her, but he thought she didn't like him enough...

So instead of the couple bugs/ love bugs that is full of messy legend and lore, just look at how Xiaoyao behaves and we will know who is her true love. 

Uliya:

@Winny24
This was my guess, not proof, you didn't understand me at all, I didn't say that XY loves XL, and I personally think that XY loves TSJ. I just didn't understand how bugs work, based on their name "lovers" , that's all. 

So I asked those who figured out how bugs work to respond. 

Please be kinder to people. 

Thank you all for the answers!)

Sorry for making you feel offended. I guess I did not get you at all.  I actually did answer you quite long in my first reply. If you consider it as well as some other YaoJing friends...i wonder why would you can come to conclusion that she fell for XL when she was WXL in S1 (although you even did mention it you did not understand it) ...

Although such questions are fine to ask most of the time. Jump in  asking straight out about if one partner of the cp (which the thread was made for)  love another with such proof is still something. 

Again sorry  for making you offended  ...

English is not everyone's first language here in MDL and sometimes misunderstandings occur. It is good that it has been clarified. 

I will be the first one to vouch for the folks in this YaoJing thread as kind people. =)

Since the woman raise the bug for her lover,   with love  positive emotion of in love.

WXY raise her bugs for XL with the intend of harming him. So no feeling of in love.  WXL did not raise a successful lover bug here.

XL accepted  the bug freely. Lover bug raised with harmful feelings coming from wxL.  Once the bug was successfully implanted WXY said   she has a bad feeling. " 

WXL then asked XL how he felt. He avoided replying to her question.

Later on when WXL was sleeping XL facial expression was  gloomy, he touched his heart  and them smiled  a little.

I would say the bugs were already compromised to some extend due to how Xzy raised them to kill harm XL

This plus no reciprocated feeling of " in love" made them turn into heartbreak.

It is all in the novel. If TH has written Voodoo king chapter at the beginning,  nobody would see the lover bug as success. 

Twice TH showed the bugs hurting XL and XY in the novel . TWICE  she showed it as incrushiating   pain  from both XL and XY.  TH showed us the reader  the intensity of that pain  via XY In both instances.  This is not  to be confused with the  pain XY felt due to her heartbreak dcause by her break up  with Jing.

The bugs is not even that rocket science to understand if one  re read the novel and start with Voodoo king  explanations . It becomes very clear. 

soTreeD:
In the novel, Pimply very sweetly gave up his 老婆本 ( money he saved up for marriage ) to ask Shiqi to get properly treated at a 'proper clinic' because they felt Xiaoliu's skills for bonesetting was no good LOL
At the time, Shiqi turned him down and said as long as Xiaoliu doesn't mind it, he doesn't mind. ( aaaw )
Too bad the drama didn't show this.

A very sweet moment.

soTreeD:
The two extra characters we never got to see in the drama, Bi Jun and Lie yang

I was very sad that these two were excluded from the drama.

soTreeD:
But I think in the novel, after Xiaoyao became a woman/girl again, she became very 'hyper-vigilant' about the boundaries of the sexes, compared to how she was back when she was Wen Xiaoliu.

The two extra characters we never got to see in the drama, Bi Jun and Lie yang, were also there to show her new shyness about her new body and identity now. She hugged them out of joy but after she  remembered they have male bodies and its mentioned she felt shy doing it as well.

In addition, no matter how afraid she was of Xiangliu, she actually dared to voice out and no longer allow him to bite her neck. All these showed that Xiaoyao was determined that as a woman, she will maintain that boundary with other men except Tushan Jing.

In the novel, she was already hugging him by the waist on literally the first day they met again as man-woman... on the boat after their little tiff. When she said he was cunning, she was running her fingers through his hair, a very girlfriend move, which... probably not possible to do for the drama wig, and the drama team wanted to make drama ver of Xiaoyao seemed more frustrated than the novel version.
She is shown to be insecure, and I think she was worried if the reason Jing didn't want to kiss her, was because he didn't find her attractive enough. While poor Jing was dying to kiss her, but he thought she didn't like him enough...

Hmm. I sort of agree and sort of disagree. 

XY was definitely mindful of the fact that she was in a woman's body after her transformation and she didn't act anywhere near as bold as WXL acted. 

And I agree that XY was comfortable being physically intimate with TSJ (but also blushing and nervous like a young woman in her first relationship too) in a way that was unique for him / not how she behaved with anyone else. 

But I'm not sure if I'd say she maintained a boundary with all men except TSJ. 

She didn't have any scruples about being physically close with CX in her new body (she used her body to shield him from FFB's arrow, she used her bodyweight to help calm him down during his detox period nights, and she held him as she hummed lullabies to him during the worst initial nights) even before CX was married (and there was still a chance that her childhood promise to marry him could be fulfilled). Although, of course, to XY CX was basically a family member and not someone she considered to be a serious marriage candidate even at that point, so he's probably in his own category and doesn't really count.

And before XY found out that FFB was XL, she allowed him to stand directly behind her and hold her hand to adjust her archery form during her archery lessons and she rode the same winged mount with him after the lesson. 

And when she found out that FFB was XL, she didn't allow him to bite her neck (where his bite would leave a very visible mark that looked like a hickey, which would be difficult to explain to CX and terrible for her reputation as a woman and a princess) and instead asked him to bite her wrist (where the mark could be more easily concealed) and allowed him to self-heal / sleep in her bed where she also slept. 

She even tightly embraced Left Ear the first time she met him when she tried to give him hope as a slave fighting in the death match arena. 

-----

Chapter 16:

After shooting a few successive arrows, Xiao Yao’s arrow was stronger than before but nowhere close to the big tree. Xiao Yao sighed. “Looks easy, hard to do.”

Fang Feng Bei walked in back of Xiao Yao and grabbed her hand, guiding it to follow his movements. “Body straight, senses calm, focused and relaxed, pushing forward and following behind, bow cocked arrow flying!” With the word “flying” the arrow flew out and solidly embedded in the tree.

“How does it feel?”

“Thinking of nothing, eyes not on the target, focused only on the arrow movement.”

“You have natural aptitude.”

Xiao Yao smiled wanly. It wasn’t that she had natural aptitude, it was that her body reacted the same way when Xiang Liu got close to her. She felt that he would bite down on her neck so her mind was blank. But if it was Xiang Liu, even if he was in cahoots with the Fang Feng family, there was no way the family archery skill would be passed to a Nine-headed demon.

Fang Feng Bei guided Xiao Yao to shoot another arrow. “Maintain this feeling and continue.”

Xiao Yao released another arrow which still didn’t hit the tree but got close. She really got interested and immediately released another arrow which struck the tree. She was incredulous “I hit it?”

Fang Feng Bei smiled and Xiao Yao grabbed another arrow and mimicked the sensation but it fell midway just like her first arrow. Fang Feng Bei said “You are too overeager.”

Xiao Yao didn’t believe it and wanted to try again but he stopped her. “This is enough for today.”

Xiao Yao didn’t understand. “I want to practice more.”

“If you practice more, you’ll get worse. The mistaken feeling will be repeated until you remember it. Trust me, things are better when one knows when to stop early.”

Xiao Yao put down the bow. “If you want to be a Master, your disciples will love you.”

Fang Feng Bei laughed. “Everyone is different, my method only works on the smart.”

“Thanks for the compliment.”

Fang Feng Bei vaulted on his winged horse and the two rode the horse slowly down the mountain. 

Xiao Yao took off her dog mask and smiled at the slave before suddenly tightly embracing him and whispering in his ear, “This world has something beautiful in it that is worth you remaining alive for.” She put on the mask again and walked back. The bloodied slave stared at her confused like he had no idea what just happened.

AH :
IMO, XY wanted TSJ to regularly reassure her of his feelings so that she (a person with abandonment issues) could feel wanted. 

Winny24:
Whether insecurity or not insecurity, the Dragon Bone promise was made due to Jing afraid of losing track on WXL forever. But I do like how he admit all his feelings.

That's exactly it. I think it's quite common when you are new to love or young in love that while the feelings are genuine, you may not have the self-assurance or self-knowing to understand how to nurture or express your feelings/love. Nor are you able to understand yet that true love for someone means not to hold onto them forever but to want everything best for that person. Hence all the back and forth and misunderstandings between XY and Jing in S1. Jing is definitely much more straightforward in confessing his love to XY from the beginning, but even then he was afraid to lose WXL/XY.

As we get into S2, I see a change in him (not in his love for XY - that never wavers) -  his perspective changes, which requires inner growth and is a product of all the suffering he had to go through in the many years. I think the plum blossom assassination is one major point as well as what happens with FFYY. While he would want nothing else but to be with her forever, he is also able to let her go if need be. That is the different between him and CX, for example (at least in the novel, and I'm still bitter about all the changes in S2 lol).

Winny24:
As for FFB/XL taking her away from her wedding to Feng Long, umm yes its mainly for her lifetime happiness. But i will still not excuse his method of doing so for whatever reason because it still sound like she had to payback at least to get something from him.

As yes, FFB/XL went and did it in his way lol. Can't blame Jing, in my opinion, he tried to make him do it in the most discreet way possible.

AH :
Although, of course, to XY CX was basically a family member and not someone she considered to be a serious marriage candidate even at that point, so he's probably in his own category and doesn't really count.

Yes you are absolutely right! But with CX he was really the childhood sweetheart and she really had no boundaries with him because her trust with CX was determined by blood. There was a chapter where she told Jing that they ate together, slept together as children, and although its strange for me to accept that a grown up Xiaoyao still doesn't have that sense of boundaries with CX now that she has grown up, perhaps its just due to the fact she feels extra sorry that he was a 'total orphan' now and had no one left.

Hence when she was betrayed by him she 'felt like she was ripped apart and wished she could die immediately'. This was also a different reaction compared to when she lost her will to live when TSJ died, which was less extreme compared to this description. Yet we all know, her bond with CX to her was never romantic.

Not allowing Xiangliu to bite her neck and leaving a mark, is just her preference as a woman now.
Xiaoyao could have used spirit power to remove the mark and nobody would know. She just don't want XL to because that would be too intimate. She can make use of Fangfeng Bei to make Jing jealous for a reaction but she won't do things that will really make Jing sad or misunderstand. In the drama I like the little detail in Ep27 where Xiaoyao steps away from FFB when she saw Jing standing there.

I don't mean that Xiaoyao will never touch a man but she is still Xiaoyao. So there will be times she will just do warm and kind things like hug another be it a friend or a stranger or even fight to survive. When she thought she pissed off Xiangliu after 'disrespecting' him and stealing a look at his demon form, she used her entire body to wrestle him to prevent him for leaving her in anger and leaving her stranded once again. I didn't see that moment as romantic either. Especially not when she would ask him sadly after he had saw Jing, and even shared a wistful moment about how her last meeting with Jing was...

I don't want to blame Xiaoyao, but sometimes her closeness with CX might have fed into his deluded and possessive streak. Since he had always thought he was her number 1, he thought that as long as he waited long enough, she could come to love him romantically.
In the end what was innocent and sweet words from childhood 'We will be together forever' became a scary thing to promise anyone lol