Katelyn Arshi:
Xuan's theme song always make me cry.  Zhang Wanyi definitely made his Cang Xuan stand out. He really excel in conveying his emotions that made me sympathize with his tormented heart, pain, regret, yearning, inner demon etc. His character kept on tugging at my heart like no other. I haven's seen this type of complex character in a while. I hope you'll start on part 2.

Same!!!! 

The only other character I have come across in C-dramas so far that is similar in some ways to CX but is even darker is Till the End of the Moon's Tantai Jin, who is much darker than CX in both movie and novel.  If we had seen the LYF novel ending in the drama, it would have been interesting to do a side-by-side comparison of these two dark male lead characters. They are both brooding, complex, dark, passionate, intense, compelling male figures who want to rule their worlds. Of course one is a demon lord and the other is not! lol but you know what I mean, they are both light and dark, both morally grey (very!), though Tantai Jin is much more ruthless in killing people than CX ever could be. Both are fascinating. And both love a woman that they cannot have (at least until the third life - TTJ)/can't choose (CX), and watching what they do and agonize over,  makes for irresistible characters and stories. Both actors deliver amazing  performances, that convey so many complex emotions and depth, too.  I find them both unforgettable. Oh, and Cheng Yi in Immortal Samsara, who played a character who is like a combination of XL and Jing!  And his dual role character, that dark complex masked figure who I thought stole the whole drama - another morally grey character who wants his love and to rule the world. In many ways similar to CX and TTJ. 

How interesting that they all play characters who have to choose between having a world or having their love, and how sacrifice is a part of that choice. In a way LYF seems like a smaller or more intimate story because it's setting is only the world,  and is set within two families, and not ruling a galaxy etc. 

Katelyn Arshi:

Xiaoyao & Cang Xuan | New Edition S1 & S2

Great compilations!

https://youtu.be/iMgZEQkIbhA?si=qWj8AtxyRITGl9PG  

Awesome, Katelyn, I have it saved now too. ? 

Cang Xuan Highlights Collection Lost You Forever Season 1 & Season 2
https://youtu.be/_lqv8T4wtlE?si=wdndgVrrvUq0F-q4 

There was a Lost You Forever symposium held on 8 Aug 2024 in Beijing where leaders, industry experts, scholars and representatives of key creators conducted in-depth discussions and professional interpretations of 'Lost You Forever' from various angles. 

During the LYF symposium, Tong Hua provides her explanation for why Cang Xuan's character arc deviated from the novel:

Let me use an example to share with everyone. For example, my (understanding) of the main character Cang Xuan. When I was writing the novel, my understanding at the time was that I felt that during the later part of his journey, actually, in a certain sense, he himself had lost his own self due to power, which was why towards the later part, he took measures to assassinate Tushan Jing. I felt that this was an indication that as he continued step by step (down that path), he himself had also forgotten his original intentions and aspirations. However, in the end when I went back to write this character once more, because many of his hidden lines - his friendship with those beside him, his familial ties, including the companionship of those minor characters beside him - I myself felt that my understanding of this character has deviated in some way from in the novel. When I wrote the script, I would feel that he had undergone so much, so instead, I felt that he could overcome what came with power. That is he didn't [think that] - that is to say, you think you can do everything. Rather, he learnt to overcome, to overcome his own desires. Which is to let go of his personal love, lesser love, and choose a more magmanimous love to fulfil [the wishes of] others. In fact, in some sense, when you fulfil others, you are also fulfilling yourself at the same time.

-- Tong Hua interview 8 Aug 2024, LYF Symposium - regarding changes to Cang Xuan

cr. Weibo source