blabla100:

@kokuto

"Why would XL accept the bug only to protect XY, while still planning on dying with his troops?  That's not protective, that's forcing her to share his pre-mature death."

But at that point in time he had no choice but to accept the bug in order to protect her.  XY would have probably died within a few weeks if not for XL taking the bug in. She was set on removing the bug from CX, XL was the only suitable one who could, at least have her life prolonged. 

If you believe he planned on dying with his troops at this time (which I don't) then he either planned on letting her die with him or he had figured out the way to kill the bugs before he accepted it (which I don't believe he knew at that time).  Which leads one to ask, why didn't he just use that method with CX and XY if his reason was to protect XY?  He could have killed XY (and gotten CX dead too), then revived her with one of his lives.  This would have been ideal for him, killing two birds with one stone, pun intended.  In fact, XY had brought up this possibility herself, when he nearly drowned her to facilitate FFYY's assassination atempt on CX.

blabla100:

@kokuto

He specifically asked if he could remove the Love Bug, and was told that he could not, once it was successfully planted.  

Also, why would he specifically ask the if he could remove the bug, if he didn't think of removing it? 

He asked about ways to remove the bug, because that was what XY asked him, and what she wanted, since she promised CX she would remove the bug before he left town.

windiaaa041293:

Weibo Yaoliu

Thank you! 

I wonder where they got it from.  It seems unlikely, unless that's another peak time for dramas.  But that date isn't that far away, so if true, we should be getting some promotions in a couple of weeks.

HeadInTheClouds:

You beat me to it, Kokuto. Thank you. I'm disappointed. It looks so small. I was expecting something bigger. 

Also, just a little clarification. It's Lovers bugs, not Love Bugs. Lovers makes it even clearer what kind of love it is supposed to be :-).

Given what we've seen of the fat bellied doll, it's about the right size, I think.  Though I thought the doll was kind of small.

Thank you for the clarification.  I probably keep calling it the Love Bug, cause of the old movies.

H19279:

it seems to have the man in green inside the ice globe. And the green man looks way bigger than sth gray/white in the middle. I don’t know if it was the real ice globe used in the drama. 

And if it fits the belly of the laughing doll, the the doll will be tiny 

The doll is small.  We saw the pic of XY holding it against her breast.

I was trying to figure out what was inside.  Is it a man?  Why is there a robin blue green patch on the side?  I thought the whole thing was supposed to be an ocean blue.  I can't see the clam shell at all.

Actually, I'm surprised he isn't holding up a green ball that they can CGI.

blabla100:

Wow, thank you for posting this. 

Happy to share!

Happy Lunar New Year everyone. Health and happiness to you and your family in the year of the dragon :-)

Kokuto:
Given what we've seen of the fat bellied doll, it's about the right size, I think. Though I thought the doll was kind of small.

Thank you for the clarification. I probably keep calling it the Love Bug, cause of the old movies.

Ah! I haven't seen those pictures with ZY holding the doll. I guess I always imagined it to be bigger since it was described so clearly and with such details in the novel. And it was such an important prop (for lack of a better word).

The only Love Bug related movie that I saw was Herbie, Fully Loaded with Lindsey Lohan. They belongs to the same universe, right?

Kokuto:

Look what showed up on the Twitter.  I wish we could see the ice ball better.

Oh gosh. Panic attacks are incoming.

HeadInTheClouds:
Nathsketh and I agree on that front already. If nathsketch feels that I was suggesting that she lacks reading comprehension because of my comments, I will apologise to nathsketch.

Nope, I'm cool. We are usually on the same page, pun absolutely intended :D

But if you mean my Mandarin reading comprehension, then yes, homie. It's a mess. I need to work on that but I promise I'm trying.

HeadInTheClouds:

Happy Lunar New Year everyone. Health and happiness to you and your family in the year of the dragon :-)

Woooo Happy Lunar New Year, beloveds! 新年快乐! ❤️

@Kokuto

"Which leads one to ask, why didn't he just use that method with CX and XY if his reason was to protect XY?  He could have killed XY (and gotten CX dead too), then revived her with one of his lives."

OK, I am genuinely confused. Did XL having 9 lifes means that  he  had the power to revive people? I thought he was able to revive XY through the bugs, indeed - by losing one of his life, but I didn't think he could have done the same without being tied togheter by the bugs. I mean, if that's the case, he could have just revived Jing without all the trouble he went through with the mercouple and getting XY's blood. 

"He asked about ways to remove the bug, because that was what XY asked him"

The reason why he asked about ways to remove the bug is beside the point. The fact that he specifically wanted to know how to remove them points to him having the intention from the get go to remove them, either from CX or from himself later on, it doesn't matter. He did try to find a different solution before having no choice but to accept it. I mean, if it wasn't for XL to agree to the bug, what do you think it would have happened to XY? What other solution was there for her at that point in time? 

blabla100:
OK, I am genuinely confused. Did XL having 9 lifes means that he had the power to revive people? I thought he was able to revive XY through the bugs, indeed - by losing one of his life, but I didn't think he could have done the same without being tied togheter by the bugs. I mean, if that's the case, he could have just revived Jing without all the trouble he went through with the mercouple and getting XY's blood.

My understanding was that he used the Lovers Bug to keep XY from dying completely and then used blood magic, his blood and a life to save her.  I'm pretty sure he didn't want to spend another one of his lives and 37 years of blood letting for Jing.   But I presume he could have also used the same method he used to save Jing's life to save XY's life.

blabla100:
Also, why would he specifically ask the if he could remove the bug, if he didn't think of removing it?
 blabla100:
The reason why he asked about ways to remove the bug is beside the point.

Since you specifically asked me 'why he asked how to remove the bug,' that is very much the point.

blabla100:
The fact that he specifically wanted to know how to remove them points to him having the intention from the get go to remove them, either from CX or from himself later on, it doesn't matter.

Yes.  His intention from the get go was trying to remove the bug from CX ... because, again, that's what XY had asked to do.  That was the whole reason why he was trying to find out more about the Bug.  He didn't know it was a Lovers Bug at the beginning either.

blabla100:
He did try to find a different solution before having no choice but to accept it. I mean, if it wasn't for XL to agree to the bug, what do you think it would have happened to XY? What other solution was there for her at that point in time?

I'm not aware of him looking for a different solution when XY asked him about the Bug.

Again, he could kill XY and revive her.  He could have told her what he learned and she could have got Jing to accept it.  Regardless, I just don't see how it's about 'protecting XY' if you believe he planned to die and take her with him.  However, if he did not always plan to die with the Army, and loved her and could see a future spent with XY, then sure, part of accepting the Bug could be protection.

@H19279

Now I'm still talking about the drama. In the drama, he clearly says "All are lies" in the scene where he's drinking in the tree, and it's obvious that he's angry, isn't he?

@blabla100

Indeed, it becomes clearer when you say this. I don’t think Xiang Liu thought Xiao Yao would really fall in love with him before the conversation on the beach, because Xiao Yao had always behaved independently and distantly in front of him, never worrying about their relationship, which was different from her attitude towards Jing. He has not tried to interfere with the relationship between Xiao Yao and Jing either. Anyway, according to Xiao Yao's previous statement, no one can make her leave Qingshui Town, and as long as she is here, he is satisfied. But that conversation on the beach made him suddenly realize that he had to avoid letting Xiao Yao really fall in love with him.

@Kokuto

I'm only talking about the drama. In the drama, Xiao Yao obviously only regards Jing as her real boyfriend, because she is just a woman who "doesn't believe first". As long as Xiang Liu doesn't give her a clear confession, she won't allow herself to sink deep, and Xiang Liu won't allow her to sink deep. While some (including me) think her love for Jing is just a story she tells herself, she does believe the story. We think it's ridiculous that she believes this story but not her desire for Xiang Liu, but that's just the person she is.

As for why Xiang Liu knew that he would die with a high probability, it was because he knew that if he remained loyal to Chen Rong, Xi Yan would eventually use the power of an entire country to ensure that he disappeared forever. Do you remember how he died in the end?

blabla100:

@kokuto

"Why would XL accept the bug only to protect XY, while still planning on dying with his troops?  That's not protective, that's forcing her to share his pre-mature death."

But at that point in time he had no choice but to accept the bug in order to protect her.  XY would have probably died within a few weeks if not for XL taking the bug in. She was set on removing the bug from CX, XL was the only suitable one who could, at least have her life prolonged. 

Where did this idea that XY would probably have died within a few weeks come from? Is this based on the drama or the novel?

Kokuto:
I don't think XL ever thought Jing was more suitable for XY or that she loved Jing more than him. He had the Lovers Bug and knows her heart. If XY loved Jing more than him, then it would have turned into the Heartbreak Bug and killed them both.

I'm also scratching my head over this whole thing of XY loving Jing more. I feel like I'm reading a very different novel :-). Is it because of the drama? Or perhaps just very different interpretation of the Lovers Bugs?

As to the idea of Jing being more suitable for XY. In a sense, yes, Jing is more suitable. Suitable here is from XY's perspective. Jing is the most suitable choice in XY's eyes because he is the only one who is willing to give her what she's desperately seeking - someone who will never leave her and put her first. Xiao Yao's greatest love is herself, and her greatest wish throughout the novel is a person who will always put her first. So XY chose Jing - or more correctly she chose what Jing promised to give her - a person who will always put her first and never leave her. 

blabla100:

@kokuto

He specifically asked if he could remove the Love Bug, and was told that he could not, once it was successfully planted.  

Also, why would he specifically ask the if he could remove the bug, if he didn't think of removing it? 

Why wouldn't he? If I was going to plant some mystical Poisonous Bug on myself I sure would gather all the information that I can about it, including how to remove it, in case something goes awry. This is just being smart/thorough. I don't see this as an indicator that he plans on removing it.

nathsketch:

Nope, I'm cool. We are usually on the same page, pun absolutely intended :D

But if you mean my Mandarin reading comprehension, then yes, homie. It's a mess. I need to work on that but I promise I'm trying.

You should see my Vietnamese reading comprehension :-). It has been great to follow some Vietnamese fan boards for this novel; it helped with my Vietnamese vocabulary a lot. You've only studied Mandarin for a few months, cut yourself some slack.