Kokuto:

I still have to see Godzilla Minus One.  :(

Don't get me started on the 'scheduling' of movie theaters.  sigh

Weeeeel?  Was it sad?  Or Tan bias aside, was it not your cup of tea?

SPOILERS AHEAD. (nothing that you probably haven't guessed from the trailers and clips)

I didn't need to use my shirt sleeves (kleenex? Too classy :-)) I cried more during the first 10 minutes of Pixar's Up. 

I thought that it could be a little more impactful. The fractures in their relationship leading up to the break-up were not conveyed as well as they could be, IMO.  And unfortunately, the usual Asian's drama trope was still there (you'll know what I mean when you watch it) when I didn't think it was necessary. The other thing is that I wished there were something that would mark it out as a Chinese movie because as it is you can plug the characters and story into a Western context and it wouldn't be out of place. That speaks to the universality of the story. However, I would have liked to see something that reflects the challenges that young Chinese couples face. This is of course from a perspective of a foreigner.  Domestic audiences probably wouldn't need this. Overall I enjoyed it.

Are there any Godzilla movies you would recommend, Ko?

HeadInTheClouds:
Are there any Godzilla movies you would recommend, Ko?

I hate to admit it, but I'm not actually a big Godzilla fan, so my opinion is not very worthwhile. ;p  I watched  few of the old school rubber suit Japanese movies when I was a kid, but I don't even recall the names.

I vaguely remember liking the previous Godzilla vs Kong movie just a popcorn, epic destruction movie.  I liked the recent Monarch TV series that spun out of that movie, I think, that was on Apple TV.  But that was mostly for watching Kurt Russell and his real life son, Wyatt Russell, playing the same character at different ages.  There actually was very little of giant kaiju in the show. 

I wanted  to see Godzilla Minus One because it was set in the past, and I had heard so many good things about it.  Plus, it's the only Godzilla movie to win an Oscar, even if it was just for visual effects.

HeadInTheClouds:
SPOILERS AHEAD. (nothing that you probably haven't guessed from the trailers and clips)

Ah, thank you!  Yes, I almost feel as if I have watched the movie, given all the clips that were released.  lol

HeadInTheClouds:
I didn't need to use my shirt sleeves (kleenex? Too classy :-)) I cried more during the first 10 minutes of Pixar's Up.

I'm surprised, but I'm fine NOT crying at a Tan Jian Ci performance. ;p

Interesting points.  I'll definitely look for those things.  Thanks again!

Where are you ladies watching  Are You Safe?

Kokuto:
I vaguely remember liking the previous Godzilla vs Kong movie just a popcorn, epic destruction movie.

I love mindless action flicks with lots of explosions and feats that defy physics and logic :-)

Kokuto:
I'm surprised, but I'm fine NOT crying at a Tan Jian Ci performance. ;p

Interesting points. I'll definitely look for those things. Thanks again!

You probably should bear in mind that I'm a bit of an ornery grouch :-). Plus I was dead tired when I watched the movie which probably impacted my ability to immerse myself in it. It's worth a watch and TJC is as normal and non idol-like as he could be. Maybe liddi can give her review and a different perspective once she watches it.

When is it coming to your part of the world?

HeadInTheClouds:

I feel with your review that perhaps I was expecting  film on the line of something like a film that delved into a relationship that was seemed perfect and as the film progresses, you get to see the conflict explode.  NGL that I do feel a little jaded that it was filled with troupes, because there are countless ways to show romantic love with out it, and Lost. Indulgence was able to do it as well as other numerous films out there. I wonder if the censorship had truly hindered filmmakers as well as screenwriters.

HeadInTheClouds:

Where are you ladies watching  Are You Safe?

We finished it about a month or so ago :) Very nice except for some side characters that didn’t make a big impact in the story.

We watched it on Viki.

This is the first time post-Covid era that I have been back to the cinema, and for the most part, it was a very enjoyable time, despite the annoyance of having a chatty couple next to me who are either too dense or insensitive to any disapproving glances.  Anyway, some ramblings about the movie, parts of which I have put in spoilers for those who have not watched.

The story itself is a simple tale, but poignant in its relatability, and beautifully delivered by the cast. There is no overwrought drama that brought about the breakup, but telling in how two people who love each other, slowly drifted apart when their individual needs begin to splinter - when one is content to live a simple life as long as he could be with the person he loves, while the other is restless and begins to feel constricted and suffocated because a mundane existence is not what she dreams of. The explosive confrontation leading up to the breakup is the outward expression of everything that had been simmering underneath for so long, when none would actually tell the other what they kept inside - the guilt, secret fears and insecurities - and hurtful words were hurled at each other until at last, they passed what appeared to be the point of no return. The scene where they waited for the other to take the first step was heartbreaking to see, and because they were both waiting, unwilling to be the one to make the first move, ultimately the chance to save the relationship was missed. The shot of the bullet train hurtling down one way while the delivery truck went the other made my heart ache as it was such a symbolic representation of the state of their relationship, and I teared up during the actual breakup scene, which was impeccably delivered.

Through it all, I love Bai Xiaoyu and his selfless devotion, just as much as he frustrates me because he wears his heart literally on his sleeve, and had so much love to give, going to all lengths to protect her and give her wings to fly, while keeping mum about his own struggles. Similarly, I have far less patience for Wang Jinjin and often feel she does not deserve him, but she too, is like so many of us, flawed, insecure, selfish, searching for what she wants most. She is fortunate in that when she finally came to her senses and realised that the place she wanted to be all along was with him, he was still there, unchanging.

To this end, I felt that the movie suffered in terms of believability in pacing - the breakneck speed with which they both went into a relationship upon their 2nd meeting; and how quickly she finally went back to him after hearing about his father, receiving the photo compilation, and knowing about the renovated house of horrors. Everything was too easily and quickly resolved and tied up in a pretty bow, as if there were no trust issues that needed to be overcome, that they needed to sit down and properly address what was really in their hearts and how they wanted to take their relationship. 

Still, there were key scenes that moved or spoke to me deeply. A hug at the end of a hard day that speaks of comfort and shelter, renewed self-worth knowing someone loves you as you are. The looming fear that you may no longer be physically able to provide the best for the one you love. The sinking hopelessness with the realisation that your own hopes and dreams will no longer be a reality. The crushing despair when the loved one drifts further and further away. A fractured relationship that finally begins to heal, when an estranged mother sets down her pride and crusty exterior to ask her daughter not to go. The acceptance as you prepare for a life without sight while realising the need to treasure what you can see, what you have in the here and now.

Some scenes from the trailer are actually not in the movie, or at least the version I watched - the power outage while they were in bed; the interview with her where he offers to take an even lower salary etc. I wonder whether a director's cut version would be released in the future. Either way, it does not take away from what the movie has delivered, which is a bittersweet love story at its core, elevated by strong performances, particularly TJC's nuanced portrayal.

plor20:
I feel with your review that perhaps I was expecting film on the line of something like a film that delved into a relationship that was seemed perfect and as the film progresses, you get to see the conflict explode.

For me, this movie depicts how the general vicissitudes of life can wear down relationships. In Vietnamese, this sort of movie is described as about rice, shirt, grain and money - the most mundane things in life we all grapple with. Of course, these external factors alone won't kill a relationship without help from internal factors. And the most crucial internal factors that negatively impact relationships is - lack of communication and pride. The lack of communication leads to emotional disconnection which then leads to a negative perspective setting in. All these result in misunderstandings and resentment building up and eventually the thing that bursts the dam is the most innocuous thing imaginable. 

plor20:
NGL that I do feel a little jaded that it was filled with troupes, because there are countless ways to show romantic love with out it

It was only one particular well-worn trope. I think it was used as a framing device and to help the audience buy into the relationship as quickly as possible so that the meat of the story - the deterioration etc. - could start. It's a movie so they have to be economical with time. I think because this movie aimed to show reality, the inclusion of that typical trope was just unnecessary and could even detract from it. The are little details and ideas about the female lead that didn't get fleshed out - again, the running time - that could add to the fracture between the couple. 

I can see what the movie is trying to do. I can see all the dots. It's just that the way it was done wasn't impactful for me. The build-up should have left you anticipating the moment when everything burst. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case for me so the release didn't feel cathartic. The actors' performances weren't the issue. Essentially, I watched this movie on an intellectual level with minimal emotional resonance. I'm probably in the minority since it's doing so well with the audience. 

I'm not good with reviews so I hope all of that makes sense.

plor20:
I wonder if the censorship had truly hindered filmmakers as well as screenwriters.

I don't get many Chinese movies so I can't say if this is so. I believe this movie was based on a novel. I wonder if the author was also part of the script-writing team.

HeadInTheClouds:
I don't get many Chinese movies so I can't say if this is so. I believe this movie was based on a novel. I wonder if the author was also part of the script-writing team.

The author 郑执 Zheng Zhi is also the scriptwriter, and the movie is based on his novel 被我弄丢两次的王斤斤 "Wang Jinjin whom I Lost Twice". It is vastly different from the movie, from their familial backgrounds (hers is the supportive family while his is a possessive one)  - and covers their meeting up to their marriage and children, the struggles they face, with an open ending when they had grown so far apart. Bai Xiaoyu is far more unlikeable in the novel too, more concerned about his ego despite his failings, certainly not the ideal boyfriend that is portrayed in the movie while Wang Jinjin appears to be the more mature one. 

liddi:
The author 郑执 Zheng Zhi is also the scriptwriter, and the movie is based on his novel 被我弄丢两次的王斤斤 "Wang Jinjin whom I Lost Twice". It is vastly different from the movie

Thanks liddi. Such drastic changes to the story. Can you even consider this an adaptation anymore when you changed basically everything about it? The open ending of the novel sounds quite realistic. I thought the resolution of the movie was not really convincing there were issues there that were glossed over. My thought was that these two would be heading towards another possible breakup once the credit finished rolling. 

liddi:
Bai Xiaoyu is far more unlikeable in the novel too, more concerned about his ego despite his failings, certainly not the ideal boyfriend that is portrayed in the movie while Wang Jinjin appears to be the more mature one.

Given the switch-up in family background, it's quite understandable that their personality also received a switch-up. Bai Xiaoyu in the movie appeared to be too perfect. There was not a lot on how having to give up on his dreams and going blind affected him - he just seems to take it all in stride. I don't think they gave TJC enough to work with.

HeadInTheClouds:
I thought the resolution of the movie was not really convincing there were issues there that were glossed over.

Yes I agree. It was way too easily and neatly done. There is clearly still no communication involved, just grandiose acts that is supposed to sweep everything under the rug. I concur that with the way the movie ended, they would very likely break up at the end of it again.

I don't quite agree about Bai Xiaoyu being too perfect. The boy had blinkers and could only see her and nothing else as the only light in his life, which for me, is an unhealthy attitude. While it is true they did not portray too much about how he views the loss of his artistic passion and his impending, deteriorating eyesight, I think it is realistically portrayed exactly because there is only Wang Jinjin in his eyes, so he could not allow himself to wallow, but continue to move on to another after another venture, sidelining his passion and his needs in order to facilitate her dreams. Notice that it was only after they broke up that he, along with his mother, started preparing for his life alone with loss of sight. While it sounds extremely romantic to have someone love oneself to that extent, as a mother, I would be extremely infuriated and frustrated if my son behaved as such. So no. Bai Xiaoyu is not perfect. He actually reminds me a little of another fool we are very acquainted with, and that breakup was actually good for him, because for once, he began to consider his own needs, accept the reality of a life without her. If anything, I view her return as taking back the crutch he was slowly learning to live without.

Nonetheless, I do see why the movie is a hit. Tian Jiarui's thoughts after watching the movie seems indicative of the mindset, the need to believe there is hope, and that not everything is doomed to an unhappy end, as long as one lived life and embraced their love bravely.  So my theory is the changes in the adaptation is the reflection of that hope and and ultimately the sought-after elusive Holy Grail that awaits with perseverance. My 2 cents.

liddi:
Yes I agree. It was way too easily and neatly done. There is clearly still no communication involved, just grandiose acts that is supposed to sweep everything under the rug. I concur that with the way the movie ended,

The mixing of reality and the romantic, trope-y set up didn't gel well, IMO. And this is the result.

liddi:
I don't quite agree about Bai Xiaoyu being too perfect. The boy had blinkers and could only see her and nothing else as the only light in his life, which for me, is an unhealthy attitude.

Perfect in the sense that he "appeared" to be perfect in the context of a devoted, sacrificing boyfriend. I absolutely see your point. The issue is that the movie didn't do a good job of highlighting this. Something to show doubt, and denial on Bai Xiaoyu's side would have been good - just something to show that he eventually became aware of the unhealthiness in their dynamics. As it is, I don't think he ever sees the breakup as a necessary/good thing and she called the shot right to 'till the end.  I would have liked to see more of his family and friends' perspectives of their relationship. She has that one friend that reflected her doubts and dissatisfaction to her.

liddi:
He actually reminds me a little of another fool we are very acquainted with

Heh! Whenever we watch/read about a sacrificing character there will be a comparison to XL. Bai Xiaoyu should have pulled a XL, and when she decided she wanted to come back said, "Thanks, but no thanks" :-). 

liddi:
So my theory is the changes in the adaptation is the reflection of that hope and and ultimately the sought-after elusive Holy Grail that awaits with perseverance.

I'm gonna be a Debbie Downer again. While I would have loved that - I've mentioned on the other thread that I prefer things with an uplifting element - the way their issues are glossed over at the end does not instil in me much confidence that they'll achieve the Holy Grail :-(.

Thanks for the discussion. It allows reflections which helps to deepen and clarify thoughts and another perspective adds to the experience and enjoyment of the movie :-)

Since I mentioned Godzilla. This picture is too good not to post 

I am now inspired to sign up to a gym and do some heavy squatting :-). 

HeadInTheClouds:
I would have liked to see more of his family and friends' perspectives of their relationship. She has that one friend that reflected her doubts and dissatisfaction to her.

True that. Her friend was like a sounding board for her. His parents, particularly his father is more the kindly, supportive advocate of their relationship.  On a separate note, it is in a sense ironic or unexpectedly poetic that 侯长荣 Hou Changrong who portrayed Bai Xiaoyu's father, was the old Xuan Yuan king in LYF, and probably the first and only advocate of YaoLiu, through his intensified overtures to convince Xiang Liu to defect after perceiving how Xiao Yao felt about him.

HeadInTheClouds:
Heh! Whenever we watch/read about a sacrificing character there will be a comparison to XL

Yup. And I agree that Bai Xiaoyu should have been as resolute as Xiang Liu in the end, or at least not have folded so quickly with her return.

HeadInTheClouds:
While I would have loved that - I've mentioned on the other thread that I prefer things with an uplifting element

I concur. I don't think that was really the point the movie was trying to bring across, but rather to instill hope in the target audience so that they would be courageous in life and love. Realistically, I believe that romantic love is all fine and good, but it is not all that matters, something which romances tend to overinflate. In that regard, I would agree with Tong Hua that romantic love should not be the be all and end all, but one should first be the best version of oneself, rather than expecting love to make them whole. 

HeadInTheClouds:
Thanks for the discussion. It allows reflections which helps to deepen and clarify thoughts and another perspective adds to the experience and enjoyment of the movie :-)

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!