atmospheres:
I'm constantly surprised how different international cdrama viewers' opinions are to Chinese viewers about almost everything. Zhou Ye seems much more well-liked and popular internationally than she is domestically. She has her own fandom in China, but people have pointed out how her acting is quite lacking especially to be doing all these main lead roles, I guess international viewers have different expectations and different things they're looking for when it comes to what they consider good acting.

Not me though. When I first saw that she was going to be the FL in Tan's first ML romantic drama my heart sank. But ok, I thought I was being too judgemental and since I have no basis to judge anything whatsoever, I decided to give it a try and even pretend to be excited. Didn't last 24 hours ༎ຶ⁠‿⁠༎ຶ

atmospheres:
Again, I need to reiterate that when I criticize someone's acting I am not criticizing them as a person -- I can completely separate an actor as a person from their work product. I'm sure she's a nice person, and I can tell she's professional, easy to work with, and behaves appropriately on set as well as off.

Yeah exactly! It's so very obvious that she's a nice, professional person. That's already a major win. Often these people behave like they own the world lol

Oh well. This sucks. If only it was 20 episodes or so. But 33? At least it's not 40. Or 60 like in the old days lmao

I think the fun thing with TJC being the most popular that he's ever been right now is that his name is attached to all kinds of interesting sounding projects, there's been a lot of melons. The most interesting ones to me are a rumored wuxia with Zhang Ruoyun (very good actor) and a wuxia with Cheng Yi and a third actor (whose name I can't remember). I take all melons very skeptically because I remember a couple of years ago TJC was rumored to be cast as 2ML in The Golden Hairpin and that turned out to be untrue, like most melons. 

MengXiang:

I really can't do those super sweet shows.... To much to watch a whole season!

But I would not mind watch clips of highly recommended scenes. 

33 episodes!!! They're saying there'll be 4 couples haha

Better add two more. Turn this into a reality show. Actually, the name is so appropriate for a reality show. It's like The Voice and Master Chef combined.

OMG

Is that why some many skills are required?!

atmospheres:
The most interesting ones to me are a rumored wuxia with Zhang Ruoyun (very good actor) and a wuxia with Cheng Yi and a third actor (whose name I can't remember).

That sounds incredibly interesting. Especially if it's in the same vein as Mysterious Lotus Casebook :)

nathsketch:
Oh well. This sucks. If only it was 20 episodes or so. But 33? At least it's not 40. Or 60 like in the old days lmao

I'm more confused (and a bit disappointed) that Filter is scheduled to film for 4 months which is really long for a modern drama, almost double the time most modern dramas film for. I'd rather not a modern drama which, sorry it's just my opinion, sounds like potentially a flop to take up so much of his time. IMO the attraction of doing a modern drama is that it's good money for a short time commitment and you don't have to be stuck at Hengdian for 4-5 months (although with Filter he'll be stuck in Ningbo).

nathsketch:

That’s so awesome!! My 2 faves ❤️

I wondered if they contacted each other ahead of time about their clothes?  Cause they both were wearing black and silver and sparklies and FABULOUS!

luv2bafangurl:

He sang live instead of using backtrack, respect to him!

He looked and sounded gorgeous.

Kikinaki:

Awwww , we really love him.....

He should just continue to be his awesome self

nathsketch:

His acceptance speech, I'm in tears.

He thanked Lost You Forever and Xiang Liu for bringing him to people's attention *sobs*

Yes!  Loved that they did a video of clip of Xiang Liu's beautiful moments... the underwater scene!  sob

atmospheres:
Seeing Bai Lu and TJC onstage together looking so matching makes me want to see them in a show together. Really cute at the end when they did the heart together.

Yes, I'm seeing a lot of that on Twitter.  How good they look / cute they look together and how they want to see them in a drama together.

Kokuto:

I wondered if they contacted each other ahead of time about their clothes?  Cause they both were wearing black and silver and sparklies and FABULOUS!

He looked and sounded gorgeous.

Yes!  Loved that they did a video of clip of Xiang Liu's beautiful moments... the underwater scene!  sob

Yes, I'm seeing a lot of that on Twitter.  How good they look / cute they look together and how they want to see them in a drama together.

They did a clip. Does anyone have link?

atmospheres:

I think the fun thing with TJC being the most popular that he's ever been right now is that his name is attached to all kinds of interesting sounding projects, there's been a lot of melons. The most interesting ones to me are a rumored wuxia with Zhang Ruoyun (very good actor) and a wuxia with Cheng Yi and a third actor (whose name I can't remember). I take all melons very skeptically because I remember a couple of years ago TJC was rumored to be cast as 2ML in The Golden Hairpin and that turned out to be untrue, like most melons. 

I love all the rumors for shows!  It's means people are thinking and wanting him in shows.  They are finally seeing his potential instead of dismissing him because of his height.  But yes, I tend to disregard most of them as wishful thinking.

Wasn't he sitting sort of next to Zhang Ruoyun (there was a girl between them) at Weibo award?   I don't think I've heard this rumor.

I think the producer of Liang Jing Shi Wu Ri followed Cheng Yi and Tan Jian Ci, which prompted a melon.  Plus, Zhang Wan Yi is supposedly attached too.  It wasn't lead, but sounded cool and it's from a book by Ma Bo Yong!

MengXiang:

They did a clip. Does anyone have link?

Oh, I'm sorry.  I picked the tweet that had English subs and that didn't cut off Tan Jian Ci's acceptance speech.  Didn't realize they had cut out the clips.  Here we go.

https://x.com/tiff_ilosophy/status/1732020496307519510?s=20

atmospheres:
you don't have to be stuck at Hengdian for 4-5 months (although with Filter he'll be stuck in Ningbo).

Not me Googling these places hahahah

So Hengdian World Studios! Wow. Is it possible to visit or is it closed for tourism?

Ningbo is super beautiful too. There's a port! Second largest port in the world. So cool.

I just realized that I ruined my own watch party.

I'm literally a Debbie Downer party pooper.

I don't even need to say which sound effect it is, do I? :D

Kokuto:
Wasn't he sitting sort of next to Zhang Ruoyun (there was a girl between them) at Weibo award?   I don't think I've heard this rumor.

I think the producer of Liang Jing Shi Wu Ri followed Cheng Yi and Tan Jian Ci, which prompted a melon.  Plus, Zhang Wan Yi is supposedly attached too.  It wasn't lead, but sounded cool and it's from a book by Ma Bo Yong!

I didn't get a good look at her face, but I think it was Zhang Ruoyun's wife Tang Yi Xin. And yes, you're right, the melon came from the producer following Cheng Yi and TJC on weibo. If it comes true it really will feel like MLC part 2 -- Cheng Yi, a MIC member, and a young actor on the fast-track to stardom. What a fun trio that would be, although probably too good to be true.

nathsketch:
So Hengdian World Studios! Wow. Is it possible to visit or is it closed for tourism?

Definitely! It's a major tourist destination, AvenueX went this past summer and posted a few videos on her youtube out if you want to check them out and see what Hengdian is like -- I think she visited the Qingshui Town set too.

@atmosphere

IMO she doesn't have the charisma or skills to successfully carry off main lead roles. I'm constantly surprised how different international cdrama viewers' opinions are to Chinese viewers about almost everything. Zhou Ye seems much more well-liked and popular internationally than she is domestically. She has her own fandom in China, but people have pointed out how her acting is quite lacking especially to be doing all these main lead roles, I guess international viewers have different expectations and different things they're looking for when it comes to what they consider good acting.

This is interesting, because I also heard about this often. What make you said that someone is bad actress/actors other than their limited expressions?

Is it maybe the line delivery ? Line delivery is definitely something that we international viewers can not judge, but most idol actors are dubbed anyway. For me it‘s the other way around, where sometimes I found it jarring if the dubber‘s voice doesn‘t match the actor‘s face/vibe.

PS: I do believe that there is also the chemistry between audience and the actors on screen, because often I heard how people praised an actor‘s acting and I can see why he/she was praised  but I don‘t connect with them emotionally so their scene/character failed to move me. 

luv2bafangurl:
TJC did look so much better in costume. His next drama with TH is another modern drama right? Who is his co-star?

I agree 100%!

atmospheres:
Li Landi. She was recently in The Starry Love and All the Way To the Sun -- the latter show did well when it aired on tv. And because I love gossip, it's an open secret that she's Zhang Xincheng's girlfriend, they've denied it over and over but everyone knows lol.

luv2bafangurl:
I don‘t know Zhang Xincheng, but thx for the info. I love me bit of celeb‚s gossip too =)

Me too! :)

atmospheres:
She started off as a child actor. Well, she's still quite young -- 24. Her acting is ok but I just find her really boring to watch, she lacks charisma. Another young actress backed by a manufactured hype machine who needs to spend more time in supporting roles before being put in main leads when they just don't have the charisma or chops to carry it off. It's annoying how these actresses are made to run when they barely have the skills and star quality to crawl just because their agencies and backers want to fast-track them to stardom and popularity so they can start making money off them asap. And just because they cast an older, more experienced and skilled actor opposite them doesn't solve the problem -- unfortunately, it usually doesn't have the effect of bringing up the young actress's performance to his level, it just makes her performance look worse and more lacking by comparison.

I'm expecting Filter to be bad, I will be delighted to be proven wrong.

Noooooo!  I had high hopes for Filter.  sob.   I'm beginning to get the feeling you mentioned before that they are using him to help the younger actresses.  We need Tan Jian Ci teamed with some actresses of his  age or abilities that he can bounce off of.

sigh.  TBH, the more I heard about Filter, the more I felt this was going to more of a female film, with Tan Jian Ci playing the love interest.  I mean, she gets to play three or four different characters, all attracting or trying to, Tan Jian Ci's character.   I hope Li Landi can pull it off.

atmospheres:
I didn't get a good look at her face, but I think it was Zhang Ruoyun's wife Tang Yi Xin. And yes, you're right, the melon came from the producer following Cheng Yi and TJC on weibo. If it comes true it really will feel like MLC part 2 -- Cheng Yi, a MIC member, and a young actor on the fast-track to stardom. What a fun trio that would be, although probably too good to be true.

Yes!  Of all the melons I was most excited about this one.  More of an adventure than a romance, and it sounded awesome!

Ha!  I didn't think about that.  Aero and JC-T switching out.

Yes, I think that was who was sitting beside Zhang Ruoyun.