nathsketch:
I don’t know who Zhou Dongyu

Zhou Dongyu mainly plays in movies. She was the youngest actress who won 3 most prestigious prizes cinema in China. Many people said one of the factor that she starred in Ancient Love Poetry was due to Covid 19. At that time, going to the cinema was restricted. Many criticized that her body was too slim like a teenager, not beautiful enough for FL role in a costume drama etc. In term of industry recognition, she seems to be 1 step above such famous actresses like Yang Mi, Yang zi

ZDY in photo shoot and in Ancient love poetry

H19279:

Zhou Dongyu mainly plays in movies. She was the youngest actress who won 3 most prestigious prizes cinema in China. Many people said one of the factor that she starred in Ancient Love Poetry was due to Covid 19. At that time, going to the cinema was restricted. Many criticized that her body was too slim like a teenager, not beautiful enough for FL role in a costume drama etc. In term of industry recognition, I think she is 1 step above such famous actresses like Yang Mi, Yang zi

ZDY in photo shoot and in Ancient love poetry

She is very beautiful, and most importantly, talented, judging by this information.

Are they really saying she is too slim when all we see in those idols dramas are basically skeletons wearing clothes? Is this The Twilight Zone?? LOL people need to go outside for a bit and touch some non-idol grass hahahaha

HeadInTheClouds:
I believe he was sitting behind the row with Hu Ge, Tang Yan and Xiao Zhan - so 3rd row? Who sits in the first row?

It's complicated because there was a lot of moving around on Weibo Night. He started off, his official seat, was further back, I think it was actually row 4 or 5 by Liu Yuning and singer Zhou Bichang. As the show continued, people were moved around and further up closer to the stage so they could be grouped with other actors winning the same award as them and closer to make it easier to go up to the stage which is why he moved up later to row 3 along with other actors that won the same award as him. Also as the night went on and more and more stars left, the ones remaining moved around to sit next to friends or people they wanted to talk to or freely moved around socializing. It was a long day and people got restless and bored.

First row was Ding Ning (former Olympic medalist table tennis player), Li Bingbing (actor and co-runs with her sister Hesong Media the agency that reps Zhou Ye/Gulinazha/Huo Minghao), Xu Zheng (director), Zhang Yimou (director), Li Yuchun (singer), Zhou Dongyu, Huang Xiaoming, Xiao Zhan (later moved back to row 2 -- after Wang Yibo left -- to talk with friends/coworkers), Hua Chenyu (singer), and weibo executives.

Zhou Dongyu is a very good actor. I recommend her film Better Days with Yi Yangqianxi (and Zhou Ye in her best performance as a mean girl bully), I think that film is probably available online with english subs because it was a big hit. I also saw her this past year in The Breaking Ice and she was good in that too -- she's very talented and even though she's famous you never see her when she's acting but rather her characters.

Douban is not extremely reliable in its ratings, certain dramas do get hit with low ratings bombs but I think most of the time when that happens they deserve it and it reflects the sentiments of Chinese audiences. I think Douban usually can be a decent indicator of what Chinese audiences think and their tastes. I find it more reliable than MDL ratings, I'm sorry to those who loved this show but just as an example, LMLMV has a ludicrously inflated rating. There's only maybe 3 Chinese dramas this past year that should get a rating of 8 or higher and they are The Long Season, The Knockout, and Three Body (imo, that's not even subjective, that's based on purely objective qualitative measures such as cinematography, lighting, production values, visual storytelling).

HeadInTheClouds:
I believe he was sitting behind the row with Hu Ge, Tang Yan and Xiao Zhan - so 3rd row? Who sits in the first row?

Money and power.  I think the first row was presenters (TV and company execs), producers and directors -- I think Zhang Yi Mou was in the first row.

atmospheres:
First row was Ding Ning (former Olympic medalist table tennis player), Li Bingbing (actor and co-runs with her sister Hesong Media the agency that reps Zhou Ye/Gulinazha/Huo Minghao), Xu Zheng (director), Zhang Yimou (director), Li Yuchun (singer), Zhou Dongyu, Huang Xiaoming, Xiao Zhan (later moved back to row 2 -- after Wang Yibo left -- to talk with friends/coworkers), Hua Chenyu (singer), and weibo executives.

Oh, I didn't see Xiao Zhan move.  The first time I saw him he was already in row 2 -- but we didn't get as much audience cam as we got at the TenCent awards.  So, they did have a few actors and a singer in the first row.

atmospheres:
It's complicated because there was a lot of moving around on Weibo Night. He started off, his official seat, was further back, I think it was actually row 4 or 5 by Liu Yuning and singer Zhou Bichang. As the show continued, people were moved around and further up closer to the stage so they could be grouped with other actors winning the same award as them and closer to make it easier to go up to the stage which is why he moved up later to row 3 along with other actors that won the same award as him.

Yes, the only times I saw Tan Jian Ci he was on row 3, with Esther Yu and Liu Yu Ning on his right.  But they both left early, I think.

I really loved her in Ancient Love Poetry with Xu Kai. That was my first impression of her and I really admired her work.

nathsketch:

Lol Tan stuck in traffic

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C2FPrk4puJI/?igsh=dnhrbGEyeHltcDE1

LOL!  Poor guy.  This is the second time I've seen him late... I think.  But I saw that he had some Arts Festival appearance right before the Weibo event, so he finished that, changed, like in five minutes, and then off to the Weibo event so that's why he was running late.

Nelly12:

I really loved her in Ancient Love Poetry with Xu Kai. That was my first impression of her and I really admired her work.

May have to take a look at that drama.  I heard it was connected to The Last Immortal, or had the same book writer or something.

Kokuto:

May have to take a look at that drama.  I heard it was connected to The Last Immortal, or had the same book writer or something.

Yes, Ancient Love Poetry is the prequel of The Last Immortal (in term of original novels which were both written by Xing Ling). However, the producer team of ALP last year splitted (or divorced) and TLI was made by different production and screen writter team. In term of adaptation, both deviated quite a lot from the original literature content. Moonlight Mystique starred with Bai Lu is considered as spin-off of ALP. 

ML in TLI (Yuan Qi) is the son of the main leads in ALP. Due to the divorce/split and copyright, they changed many names in TLI and made it as stand alone drama

H19279:

Yes, Ancient Love Poetry is the prequel of The Last Immortal (in term of original novels which were both written by Xing Ling). However, the producer team of ALP last year splitted (or divorced) and TLI was made by different production and screen writter team. In term of adaptation, both deviated quite a lot from the original literature content. Moonlight Mystique starred with Bai Lu is considered as spin-off of ALP. 

ML in TLI (Yuan Qi) is the son of the main leads in ALP. Due to the divorce/split and copyright, they changed many names in TLI and made it as stand alone drama

Ah, that's right.  I remember someone explaining about the son of the ALP's couple.  I'm sorry they producers split... but even if they hadn't, it's no guarantee they could have captured the same success.  I think Love You Seven Times was produced by the same folks who did Love Between Fairy and Devil, and it was no where near as good or popular.

As a cdrama viewer, something that makes me feel quite old is that in TJC's currently filming show Filter, his leading lady is Li Landi. She played the younger/preteen version of the FL in another show TJC was in a few years ago, Never Gone. Luckily, he wasn't the ML who was in a loveline with the older version of her character in that show, otherwise the cognitive dissonance might prove too much for me to even try to watch Filter when it comes out. It's still weird though for him to be in a show where he's going to be romancing a character played by an actress who played the kid version of the girl his best guy friend was romancing in another show lol. 

atmospheres:
As a cdrama viewer, something that makes me feel quite old is that in TJC's currently filming show Filter, his leading lady is Li Landi. She played the younger/preteen version of the FL in another show TJC was in a few years ago, Never Gone. Luckily, he wasn't the ML who was in a loveline with the older version of her character in that show, otherwise the cognitive dissonance might prove too much for me to even try to watch Filter when it comes out. It's still weird though for him to be in a show where he's going to be romancing a character played by an actress who played the kid version of the girl his best guy friend was romancing in another show lol.

I didn't know that.  And yes, thank goodness she wasn't the younger version of his romantic female lead.

And that's not the only one.  She was in the Adoring movie also as a teenager, while he was a photo journalist, IIRC.  Luckily, there arcs didn't really interact there either.

But something I was reminded of on Weibo night, was that Tan Jian Ci has been in the business long enough, and with Hello Saturday appearances, he knows a ton of people in the business.  I think he posted this pic on his weibo of him and Dylan with Liu Tao.  I think she played his mom in Advisor's Alliance, cause they had a weibo exchange where she called him 'son' and he called her 'mom'.

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=693354462992158&set=g.807434947498079

Well to be honest the very first thing about him that got me from the outset of the drama was his contradictory character and his solemnity at the same time. I mean his personality was sooo complicated to make sense of, like the first time the way he made himself clear for XY that he was capable of everything. I was like whyyyy am I into him sooo baaaddd then I came to myself and my eyes were just searching for everything that lead to him😋 (even a single soundtrack or sth like that lol). The next thing was hiding his pure love 💔. Well actually I did NOT fall for him in a blink of an eye, everything happened gradually🥰 I think I have watched his scenes even his fighting ones more than a hundred times. Honestly I've never had the crush of this kind ever in my entire life, he's not likely to get outta my mind readily 😫