Kokuto:
Was Tan Jian Ci's fandom ever called Barley?  Frost Edelweiss did a write up about him and found that info somewhere.  And if so, why?

This (大麦) is the name/nickname for M.I.C. fandom, I didn't follow M.I.C. so I can't speak to much regarding their fandom/fanclub. So while he wasn't actively calling his own individual fandom by this name, TJC fans prior to when 小檀火 was officially chosen and announced as his fandom/fanclub name were sometimes called 大麦, a name shared with the rest of M.I.C. and it's fandom.

If TJC has a 'What's in my bag?' video, please drop the link because I don't think I've seen it yet and I love a what's in my bag video.

Kokuto:
I think Tan Jian Ci did a What's in the Bag video ... for GQ or maybe Vogue?

EDIT: Found it!

Thanks for finding this, Kokuto. Like atmosphere, I also love "What's in My Bag" videos :-).

Oh! I actually have seen that one, I totally forgot about it because it's not with GQ and kind of different from the standard set-up, backdrop, look the well-known GQ what's in my bag series has.

Thanks for linking because I'm going to rewatch this since it obviously didn't stick in my head the first time. X(

atmospheres:

This (大麦) is the name/nickname for M.I.C. fandom, I didn't follow M.I.C. so I can't speak to much regarding their fandom/fanclub. So while he wasn't actively calling his own individual fandom by this name, TJC fans prior to when 小檀火 was officially chosen and announced as his fandom/fanclub name were sometimes called 大麦, a name shared with the rest of M.I.C. and it's fandom.

If TJC has a 'What's in my bag?' video, please drop the link because I don't think I've seen it yet and I love a what's in my bag video.

Here it is.  It was with Vogue -- but I think it was about the time he did the GQ appearance.

https://youtu.be/JwKYk5-GA-Q?si=G69_ba3CNvVarwxn

Ah, that explains it!  Thank you for the clarification on the M.I.C. fandom name.

atmospheres:

Oh! I actually have seen that one, I totally forgot about it because it's not with GQ and kind of different from the standard set-up, backdrop, look the well-known GQ what's in my bag series has.

Thanks for linking because I'm going to rewatch this since it obviously didn't stick in my head the first time. X(

Now I'm going to go look for the GQ What's in the Bag videos. :p

Kokuto:
Now I'm going to go look for the GQ What's in the Bag videos.

I'm kind of addicted to them, I wish more Chinese celebs would do the GQ series. I actually found Deng Wei's funny and kind of interesting because he said he was naturally lazy so he would put a squirt of his serum and a squirt of his moisturizer together in the palm of his hand, mix it up, and then apply it to his face but he advised the audience that this may not be the correct application method lolol.

Speaking of what's in my bag videos, it always bothers me how celebs will carry big full sized bottles of perfume in their handbags, apparently they've never experienced a perfume leaking like I have because you would never do that if you have.

atmospheres:
My bet is on Zhu Yilong, he's had two popular movies back to back -- Lost In the Stars and Only the River Flows.

It would be a nice get for Zhu Yilong. He broke out with The Guardians, but has been so low-key, just focusing on doing good work rather than engaging in any liuliang-style activities. Although, I probably shouldn't say that since I actually don't know what his fandom is like :-).

atmospheres:
his acting will seem less lacking and amateur in comparison, also he tends to have better chemistry with FLs who are closer to his age, not jie jies who have a big acting status and reputation that precedes them, imo he comes across onscreen as ill-at-ease, dry, and slightly intimidated by those kinds of female actors.

This isn't exactly a ringing endorsement of his acting ability :-). He has been cast in good guy roles which can be limiting and difficult to make interesting. It will be interesting to see how he'll fare in a more exciting role. Villains and anti-heroes are often meatier than the straight-laced male lead characters.

atmospheres:
n the eyes of most Chinese and the general public, 99% of idols aren't real actors, they're models going through the motions, most of them can't even dub themselves (although that's mostly to save money and for a quicker post-prod turnaround). His actual breakout is his face and how his visuals are exactly what Chinese idol drama viewers want and like and fits the highest standards for a liuliang's appearance, also his styling and fashion, he's seen as an emerging fashion icon

It's quite sad that for people whose main job is acting, that skill is secondary to everything else. Based on his acting abilities alone, DW wouldn't be where he is. His looks played the dominant role. He has the physique - his height is an advantage particularly when it comes to high fashion. While I'm not a fan of his facial features, I can see why people find him good-looking.  

atmospheres:
This is Zhang Linghe to a T, according to cnetizens. So many high profile dramas this past year, but still outshone by supporting players and still on the verge of breaking through like he has been for a few years now.

Zhang Linghe was exactly who I was thinking of when I wrote that statement :-). He is another "on the verge" of breaking out actor who also seems to be backed by a lot of money. And like DW, it's his height and looks that are the driving factors rather than solid talent. Although, I do have a soft spot for him since I liked him in his first drama - Maiden Holmes

atmospheres:
how many endorsements you get/from what brands/and what status (just China/Asia exclusive or worldwide? brand ambassador or spokesperson appearing in international ads for the brand?)

It seems like quality, not just the quantity of the endorsement is important. Every liuliang or liuliang hopeful is looking to establish themselves on the fashion front, so becoming a spokesperson for Dior is a huge get for DW. I think TJC may struggle a bit on the fashion front since he doesn't have the physique that these high-fashion brands look for. 

atmospheres:
An example about Deng Wei's fandom in particular that has stuck in my head was when he was filming Legend of Rosy Clouds, there was video of his co-stars filming with their phones his fans camped out on this very steep and high mountainside across the way from where the cast was filming at that time.

Sounds like they can give Xiao Zhan's fandom a run for its money. As a bystander, it would be fun to watch just how these nuts try to take each other out :-).

Thank you for sharing your insights, atmosphere :-)

atmospheres:

I'm kind of addicted to them, I wish more Chinese celebs would do the GQ series. I actually found Deng Wei's funny and kind of interesting because he said he was naturally lazy so he would put a squirt of his serum and a squirt of his moisturizer together in the palm of his hand, mix it up, and then apply it to his face but he advised the audience that this may not be the correct application method lolol.

Speaking of what's in my bag videos, it always bothers me how celebs will carry big full sized bottles of perfume in their handbags, apparently they've never experienced a perfume leaking like I have because you would never do that if you have.

Yeah, that was a larger bottle than I expected for Tan Jian Ci ...  He really is like you and HeadintheClouds and your perfumes!  I was surprised by his good luck bracelet.  But not by his doggie phone. lol

I'd l like to see some for the ladies ... but I guess GQ is for the men.  I did find the DW video ... it was more like 10 essentials -- but he left out his phone!  I like the set up for Vogue more.  It's comfortable and cozy and not a blue screen.

Kokuto:
Yeah, that was a larger bottle than I expected for Tan Jian Ci ... He really is like you and HeadintheClouds and your perfumes!

That was actually the smaller, 30ml bottle (I think) of that particular brand :-). Us perfume fiends carry perfumes everywhere we go. I think I have two or three different perfumes in my bag (in travel atomisers, of course :-)), just in case. 

I noticed that his bag and sunglasses in that "What's in My Bag" video you linked were Prada. So maybe he's in talks with them for endorsement. It would be a nice deal for him to get on the fashion front.

HeadInTheClouds:

That was actually the smaller, 30ml bottle (I think) of that particular brand :-). Us perfume fiends carry perfumes everywhere we go. I think I have two or three different perfumes in my bag (in travel atomisers, of course :-)), just in case. 

I noticed that his bag and sunglasses in that "What's in My Bag" video you linked were Prada. So maybe he's in talks with them for endorsement. It would be a nice deal for him to get on the fashion front. 

I did notice it was a spray / atomiser.  You recognize the brand, of course :)  Well, at least you know you'll have something to talk about when you meet Tan Jian Ci.

He also did a Prada event at that time, as well as tour of their exhibit.  He was also wearing Prada in some of his recent videos, like that weird Mango Mascot one.  There are rumors he's going to pick them up too for something.

Yes, the GQ series is actually called Ten Essentials but I always thought it was a what's in my bag series because celebs often would take the items out of their bag, but actually I think it's Vogue that does an official what's in my bag series. I prefer the GQ one because I think it's more casual and will have the occasional amusing bon mots. The bottle of perfume TJC pulled out was practically travel size compared to some of the big bottles I've seen other celebs pull out which just gives me anxiety because obviously they've never had a perfume leakage in handbag situation before like I have or they wouldn't be living dangerously like that lol. 

HeadInTheClouds:
Us perfume fiends carry perfumes everywhere we go. I think I have two or three different perfumes in my bag (in travel atomisers, of course :-)), just in case. 

Travel atomisers are the way to go. By the way, I just got D.S. & Durga's I Don't Know What and I'm obsessed.

I think TJC has been a Prada brand ambassador for maybe around a year now. I remember when his first print ad with them came out and that seemed quite a while ago to me. He also did a campaign for them this past Qixi, and he wore Prada to last year's Weibo Night. I was in NYC recently and I saw some Prada ads on bus stops and other transportation hubs and some of them had Li Xian in it, too bad it wasn't TJC that would've been a fun spotting.

atmospheres:
Yes, the GQ series is actually called Ten Essentials but I always thought it was a what's in my bag series because celebs often would take the items out of their bag, but actually I think it's Vogue that does an official what's in my bag series. I prefer the GQ one because I think it's more casual and will have the occasional amusing bon mots. The bottle of perfume TJC pulled out was practically travel size compared to some of the big bottles I've seen other celebs pull out which just gives me anxiety because obviously they've never had a perfume leakage in handbag situation before like I have or they wouldn't be living dangerously like that lol.

If someone pulls out a giant Chanel bottle from their bag, they deserve the accident.  lol  That's just gauche.

Badgal1995:

I’m looking forward to this movie so muchhh !!!

Me too  Chingu but I learned my lesson with his last drama with Zhou Ye. I still remember how we were excited about it and how we would say that we were waiting anxiously for it, but it was a total disappointment for me. I managed to watched 14 episodes ??

HeadInTheClouds:
It would be a nice get for Zhu Yilong. He broke out with The Guardians, but has been so low-key, just focusing on doing good work rather than engaging in any liuliang-style activities. Although, I probably shouldn't say that since I actually don't know what his fandom is like

He could've tried to go the liuliang route after his big BL hit with Guardian, but very wisely he and his team decided that wasn't the best long-term plan especially given he was already in his 30s so he focused in on showing his acting ability, improving his skills, and doing interesting roles in primarily film. And that has resulted in him having what is better than any niche crazy idol fandom -- critical acclaim in the form of being nominated and winning prestigious acting awards, popularity and recognition with the general public, and box office success. He's not an idol, he's a bona fide highly bankable movie star with mass recognition and appeal.

HeadInTheClouds:
Although, I do have a soft spot for him since I liked him in his first drama - Maiden Holmes

Me too, I really liked him in that...although he's been coasting on my goodwill from that show and just me personally being into his looks for quite some time, which is why I can't really say I'm his fan because he's just not good enough for me to consistently try and watch everything he does since most of it just isn't really worth my time. Actually imo a lot of idol actors are coasting on viewers' goodwill from shows from several years ago, such as Xu Kai -- people still have a soft spot for him from his role in Yanxi Palace (and maybe Arsenal Military Academy too), but imo nothing he's done since has yet to match up to that. That's the problem with a lot of these idol actors -- they coast on one big hit or famous/very well-liked or well-regarded role but they're often not able to replicate it again which makes them a one hit wonder and makes me question if it wasn't just dumb luck to begin with.

Kokuto:
I did find the DW video ... it was more like 10 essentials -- but he left out his phone!  

When I first saw that video, I kept thinking well, he left out his #1 essential -- his cigarettes. ;b

That giant Chanel bottle is hilarious hahaha. Oh, the anxiety a big bottle of perfume just rolling around freely in a handbag will give me.

CEMS2001:

Me too  Chingu but I learned my lesson with his last drama with Zhou Ye. I still remember how we were excited about it and how we would say that we were waiting anxiously for it, but it was a total disappointment for me. I managed to watched 14 episodes ??

Omgg the same energy I have nooo don’t wake me up before I see it!! In Tan we will trust, I will be like an idealistic Jing fan don’t stop me haha