Hi everyone. I watched Nirvana in Fire over a year ago and I have been trying to find another Asian drama to top my love for NIF.  Since NIF, I've watched Mr. Robot, Stranger Things, House of Cards, The Legend of Zhen Huan (which was pretty good) and The Disguiser.  I've liked all of them. NIF still remains my top Asian drama of all time; Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones are my number 1 and 2 favorite Western dramas of all time.  Can anyone recommend me an Asian drama along the vein of NIF?   I like political intrigue, romance and suspence.  I am not into idol dramas or whiny dramas that drag. 

OHMYGAWD!!! I Think you and I are the same. Kindred spirits in trying to find another NIF

NiF is also think the best drama ever. Nothing is as close to being as EPIC as NiF in asia n shows, though maybe  Game of Thrones and Breaking Bad, does. These 3 round up my top best shows ever.

I am currently loving House of Cards, and i am super sad the show has been cancelled. And i have downloaded Stranger things, i guess i have to watch it soon. Need to watch season 2 of Mr.Robot. also love Orphan Black. 

The Disguiser and Battle of Changsa are probably probably the ones i can recommend that is great watch, but youve watch the Disguiser already. and i heard/read that All Quiet in Peking is a must watch, though I still need to watch it, I guess I should get NF subscription. And have you tried korean drama Signal? 

BTW is Legend of Zhen Huan good?

Maybe lost love in times i also think NIF is the best and i think lost love in times has some good political twists and stuff. 

Tribes and NIF 2 aare coming soon which look good. 

Czakhareina:

OHMYGAWD!!! I Think you are my soulmate. 

NiF is also think the best drama ever. Nothing is as close to being as EPIC as NiF in asia n shows, though maybe  Game of Thrones and Breaking Bad, does. These 3 round up my top best shows ever.

I am currently loving House of Cards, and i am super sad the show has been cancelled. And i have downloaded Stranger things, i guess i have to watch it soon. Need to watch season 2 of Mr.Robot. also love Orphan Black. 

The Disguiser and Battle of Changsa are probably probably the ones i can recommend that is great watch, but youve watch the Disguiser already. and i heard/read that All Quiet in Peking is a must watch, though I still need to watch it, I guess I should get NF subscription. And have you tried korean drama Signal? 

BTW is Legend of Zhen Huan good?

Personally, I loved Legend of Zhen Huan.  It is a beautiful drama and very serious.  It's not for the casual drama watcher.  However if you love House of Cards... you will definitely like Zhen Huan.  

I didn't watch Signal yet.  It is on my To Watch list.  I think it will be my next drama.  

Thank you for your suggestions =)

jake:

Maybe lost love in times i also think NIF is the best and i think lost love in times has some good political twists and stuff. 

Tribes and NIF 2 aare coming soon which look good. 

I am soooo looking forward to Tribes and NIF 2.  Thank you for the suggestion of Lost Love in Times.  I will watch that after Signal.  =)

Hi! Try this: https://mydramalist.com/20534-the-advisors-alliance . The story is much more complex and based on true history of the three kingdom era. 

As a Chinese, this drama is even better than NIF due to all the historical details and great adapted plots. The lines are one of the best of all Chinese dramas, full of ancient poems and songs. It’s a bit abstract if you watch the plain translations. But still a great drama.

BTW, House of Cards and GoT are my favorites.

rglsm:

Hi! Try this: https://mydramalist.com/20534-the-advisors-alliance . The story is much more complex and based on true history of the three kingdom era. 

As a Chinese, this drama is even better than NIF due to all the historical details and great adapted plots. The lines are one of the best of all Chinese dramas, full of ancient poems and songs. It’s a bit abstract if you watch the plain translations. But still a great drama.

BTW, House of Cards and GoT are my favorites.

Thank you so much for that suggestion. I love the Age of the Three Empires time period so I am sure I would love this.  

Sad about it being the last season of House of Cards but it is for the best it seems. 

Chinese Paladin is pretty good!

yoonbread:

Hi everyone. I watched Nirvana in Fire over a year ago and I have been trying to find another Asian drama to top my love for NIF.  Since NIF, I've watched Mr. Robot, Stranger Things, House of Cards, The Legend of Zhen Huan (which was pretty good) and The Disguiser.  I've liked all of them. NIF still remains my top Asian drama of all time; Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones are my number 1 and 2 favorite Western dramas of all time.  Can anyone recommend me an Asian drama along the vein of NIF?   I like political intrigue, romance and suspence.  I am not into idol dramas or whiny dramas that drag. 

The Advisor's Alliance has a better storytelling about political intrigue and suspense. It has similar themes of strategy and the characters are very well written and is not a idol drama.

And tells about the rise of one of the best strategists of Ancient China. Its like a ancient House of Cards.

I also would recommend Three Kingdoms, if you are into political stuff

YanFaisal:

The Advisor's Alliance has a better storytelling about political intrigue and suspense. It has similar themes of strategy and the characters are very well written and is not a idol drama.

And tells about the rise of one of the best strategists of Ancient China. Its like a ancient House of Cards.

I also would recommend Three Kingdoms, if you are into political stuff

Thank you so much for your recommendation.  Yes someone else had just recommended the Advisor's Alliance as well. I will definitely put that on my watch list.  I've also watched Three Kingdoms many years ago.  I did not end up finishing it because it was just too long but the episodes I did watch were really good. 

Winny Lu:

Chinese Paladin is pretty good!

Chinese Paladin...  there are so many of them. lol

yoonbread:

Chinese Paladin...  there are so many of them. lol

Only the 5 has something like intrigues and political stuff, and this only happens towards the end when we saw the struggle between the factions within the Demon Realm.

I add some more recommendations, if you broaden your scope of dramas:

Tribes and Empires: Storm of Prophecy (If you does not hate fantasy)
Six Flying Dragons, The Great Seer and Empress Ki (If you dont mind watching a K-drama)

i recently watched nif . It's a great drama and want more to watch . can you guy's share your drama watch list .

If you want to watch an amazing movie (actually 2 movies because there is a sequel—so about 4-5 hours total), you must see “Red Cliff” 1 & 2.  I have to admit I was awestruck. it is one of the best Asian films I have ever seen and you absolutely will not be disappointed! The storyline, acting, cinematography, music— everything  is truly perfect!  I understand that it won many awards.  Even though it is not a drama, as you asked for, it came to mind as I was thinking about the most amazing dramas I have seen. I also saw Nirvana I and II and love them both. Another Chinese drama that is memorable to me  is “Bu Bu Jing Xin” aka “Scarlet Heart,” the original Chinese version. It’s not wuxia but very captivating. Enjoy!

LPA:

If you want to watch an amazing movie (actually 2 movies because there is a sequel—so about 4-5 hours total), you must see “Red Cliff” 1 & 2.  I have to admit I was awestruck. it is one of the best Asian films I have ever seen and you absolutely will not be disappointed! The storyline, acting, cinematography, music— everything  is truly perfect!  I understand that it won many awards.  Even though it is not a drama, as you asked for, it came to mind as I was thinking about the most amazing dramas I have seen. I also saw Nirvana I and II and love them both. Another Chinese drama that is memorable to me  is “Bu Bu Jing Xin” aka “Scarlet Heart,” the original Chinese version. It’s not wuxia but very captivating. Enjoy!

Great minds think alike because I've actually watched all of the shows you mentioned.  I agree Red Cliff was really, really good and I LOVE Scarlet Heart.  Thank you though!