"Serious Comedy" eh? Hmmm lemme see.... I would say Densha Otoko, Love Shuffle, Lucky Seven, My Boss My Hero and Don Quixote.
I recently watched Brother Beat and it was a really nice balance of being funny without all the wackiness. Priceless is also good.
'Kisarazu cat's eye ' may b just what u r looking for
Ryusei no Kizuna. I thought it would be really dark and lots of tears (well, there were a lot of tears near the end...) but it was really funny.
SayItAintSoJoe wrote: I recently watched Brother Beat and it was a really nice balance of being funny without all the wackiness. Priceless is also good.

I compleatly agree with this post.

Brother Beat is one of few Japanese Comedy what i managed watch til end and it even made me laugh.

Most of the time japanese comedy is just pointless and silly slapstick humour in wrong time and wrong place. ( to mine taste).
awkward-duck wrote: Ryusei no Kizuna. I thought it would be really dark and lots of tears (well, there were a lot of tears near the end...) but it was really funny.

I think Ryusei no Kizuna is totally spot-on for a combination of funny-but-serious. I'd somehow put "Keizoku 2: SPEC" in the same category, where the overarching goal is serious but there's quirky comedy in how they approach their goals.

Kisarazu Cat's Eye would be funny and serious in a totally different way. The story line is serious (the guy has a terminal illness) but the individual episodes are mostly comedic (the guy's friends basically try to give him the best experiences ever before he dies).

Kimi Wa Pet is definitely a romantic comedy (the lead female finds a boy, decides to keep him as a pet dog) but explores serious issues like loneliness. It managed to be stupid-silly and poignant in the same show. I'd put Nodame Cantabile in the same boat.