I just finished Moon Lovers and I loved it! Granted, it's not the happiest of the shows but I really appreciated the cinematography, the scenery,  the costume design, the acting and the politic plots. 

I am now looking for similar kdramas. Before Moon Lovers I started to watch Princess' Man but, unexpectedly,  by episode 4 I was too bored to go on. 

I am curious about Painter Of The Wind. 

Overall, I'm looking for something of similar quality and captivating plot (but not necessarily with a sad end). :)

Thank you in advance

I'm not really a fan of Historical dramas. But out of the ones I've watched, 100 Days My Prince  & Queen for Seven Days were my favourites ^^

✔Love in the Moonlight 

✔ Sungkyunkwan Scandal 

✔ Hwarang 

✔ Scholar Who Walked the Night 

✔ Arang and the Magistrate 

Additionally, try:

• Moon That embraces the Sun - set in joseon ere
  • Bridal Mask - set in japanese occupation in korea 
  • Tree with deep roots - reign of King sejong in Joseon era

I am not sure you will like because it is quite long but i highly recommend these additiinal sagueks:

• Jewel in the Palace
  • Queen Seondeok
  • Empress ki
  • Dong Yi
  • Jumong

I loved Painter of the Wind!  (And I was also not terribly impressed with The Princess' Man)

I would add Legend to the suggestions, although it's not as pretty and shiny as some of the other suggestions, lol.  Also it's got a lot more fantasy than your average historical kdrama, so it's a bit different

Time Travel:

Splash Splash Love

Faith

Rooftop Prince

Queen In Hyun's Man

Live Up To Your Name, Dr. Heo!

Pure Historical:

Sungkyunkwan Scandal

Moon That Embraces the Sun

Iljimae

Love in the Moonlight

Queen of 7 Days

I really liked Empress Ki. It is one of my favourite  series. It is a lengthy drama though so I don't know if you are willing to spend so much time, but I would definitely recommend it, as I was hesitant to watch it too.

I second Empress Ki! You won't regret it .. even though it is long every episode is interesting. I too first watched Moon Lovers and I fell in love with the show but in my opinion, Empress Ki is better in terms of story, characters, politic plots, acting and romance! 

• The moon embracing the sun
  • Master of the mask
  • 100 days with my prince
  • Mr. Sunshine