I live for happy romantic endings. Even if the main character ends up with the other guy and not the one I think is better, it is still happy, so I will smile through my tears and move on.

Therefore it should be obvious I cannot handle sad, tragic or sometimes even ambiguous endings, especially after suffering the emotional rollercoaster ride so popular in asian dramas and movies.

I am not a fan of '...despite being tragic, this movie was a masterpiece...'. NO!

So I am asking - nay, BEGGING - for the lovely members of MDL to share info or suggestions on happy endings in both dramas and movies from any asian country. I don't need all the details, just a simple - 'You'll love this ending' or 'Character A ends up with character C' or even as simple as 'Yes, she chooses one of them in the end' or 'Avoid this one, she dies in the end' etc.

Thank you.
Well since the thread is labeled spoiler, I won't post a *major warning* sign.

High Kick Through the Roof is an amazing sitcom through and through, with lovely romantic developments, all the long way up until the last episode. Two of the main characters die. And it is very depressing, especially for those viewers who invested in the 126 episode long show.
In QSD the MCs die one after the other in the last episode staring into each other's eyes, it made me sob, I never cry btw just to give you an idea of how tragic it is.

Bad Guy has a similarly sad ending, KNG has stated he likes being in shows with tragic endings, jerk.
I was planning to check up your plan to list just to make sure you pick the right ones but boy you had a loooong list there i had to scroll up to check if i'm really on the right list page.[/url]

anyway, since i can only browse into it i'll only note some:
I-cried-many-times-over-this-drama-but-it-does-have-a-happy-ending kind of drama:
[U]Cinderella's Sister, Nagareboshi

Cyborg She, Windstruck - i think this falls into ambiguous ending? but i think you'll love both ♥
Daddy Long Legs, Stairway to Heaven - this does not have a happy ending! one of the main characters died. but still i totally recommend this.
Koizora - this falls into your "avoid this one, she dies at the end" type
Raiou - a bit of everything. I cried over this drama, it does not have a happy ending you like, someone died at the end, and it has an ambiguous ending somehow. BUT THIS IS THE ONLY MOVIE I RATED 10 so i totally recommend this.
Winter Sonata - I can't remember somehow the ending but this is def a tearjerker

Ah and yes! Good luck with your list. lol.
This is irrelevant, but princessofsummer, I love your ... what should I call them? For lack of a better word, I guess your little smiley faces? They're so cute ^-^

As for those evil dramas with tragic endings, all I can think of at the top of my head are these three dramas:

1 Litre of Tears: You know how everyone says you can't watch this drama without crying? They're not lying or joking. Even before the main character dies (which truthfully, doesn't make you cry as much as you'd think but mostly because you'd have cried so much you'll run out of tears) she'll have you in tears because what really makes this drama a tearjerker is the fact that it's a true story.
49 Days (even though it's on your On-Hold list): If you hate sad endings as much as I do, then avoid this drama. One of the main characters die, and although some people thought it was quite satisfying, I couldn't accept the ending and came up with one of my own to keep myself content.
Koizora: One of the main characters dies, but honestly I didn't cry at all and thought the drama and movie were quite boring.

I'm sorry that's all I can offer to you, but if I think of more I'll definitely come back to this thread and tell you! ^-^
Smile (Japanese)---Very emotional drama that sometimes made me mad at the world, lol, but everything works out in the end. Definitely worth the watch.
Hello,
well i am the same with you (a sucker for happy endings :) ) so i noticed some dramas in your plan to watch list that i consider them "must watch" :
First of all Densha otoko -- a very sweet sotry and a happy ending (boy gets girl..)
Nodame Cantabile -- a story about a conductor and a pianist, is very sweet and comical and of course.... happy ending
Nobuta wo Produce -- although a nice drama, the ending was kind of disapointing for me (in the end every one split up to go their seperate ways)
Goong -- a classic story about a princess but a very good one
Dream High -- it's a brilliant drama and the end is not exactly happy ending (the boy and the girl did not live together forever) but it was a happy ending since every one was happy in the end :P
Shining inheretance and Stars falling from the sky -- great dramas (i think last year was a very good year for dramas) and when it finishes it will be very satisfying

I hope this helped!!
sad endings = main lead actress or main lead actor dies are

The snow queen
49 days
bad guy

Awesome romantic happy ending dramas are
Coffee prince
The greatest love
Secret Garden
Pride
Buzzer Beat

(this list is obviously from my watched list :P)
inciongsbs wrote: Well since the thread is labeled spoiler, I won't post a *major warning* sign.

High Kick Through the Roof is an amazing sitcom through and through, with lovely romantic developments, all the long way up until the last episode. Two of the main characters die. And it is very depressing, especially for those viewers who invested in the 126 episode long show.

126 episodes! Now there are two reasons I won't be watching that drama. The only reason I have any dramas over 30 eps on my list is that I didn't notice the length until after I added them.
Gomotractok wrote: In QSD the MCs die one after the other in the last episode staring into each other's eyes, it made me sob, I never cry btw just to give you an idea of how tragic it is.

Bad Guy has a similarly sad ending, KNG has stated he likes being in shows with tragic endings, jerk.

It is frustrating when you find a great actor but can't bear to watch the show they are in. I've been following a great Korean actor recently but his latest movie has him as the guy that doesn't get the girl AND the main guy dies in the end anyway!
letaAluchetug wrote: I was planning to check up your plan to list just to make sure you pick the right ones but boy you had a loooong list there i had to scroll up to check if i'm really on the right list page.[/url]

anyway, since i can only browse into it i'll only note some:
I-cried-many-times-over-this-drama-but-it-does-have-a-happy-ending kind of drama:
[U]Cinderella's Sister, Nagareboshi

Cyborg She, Windstruck - i think this falls into ambiguous ending? but i think you'll love both ♥
Daddy Long Legs, Stairway to Heaven - this does not have a happy ending! one of the main characters died. but still i totally recommend this.
Koizora - this falls into your "avoid this one, she dies at the end" type
Raiou - a bit of everything. I cried over this drama, it does not have a happy ending you like, someone died at the end, and it has an ambiguous ending somehow. BUT THIS IS THE ONLY MOVIE I RATED 10 so i totally recommend this.
Winter Sonata - I can't remember somehow the ending but this is def a tearjerker

Ah and yes! Good luck with your list. lol.

Sorry - if I like an actor in a movie, I tend to look up their other shows and add them to my list. After each movie or drama I could be adding between 5 and 20 movies. Not to mention if I also like the director or producer etc... *sigh* I don't make it easy on myself.
aniscrabby wrote: This is irrelevant, but princessofsummer, I love your ... what should I call them? For lack of a better word, I guess your little smiley faces? They're so cute ^-^

As for those evil dramas with tragic endings, all I can think of at the top of my head are these three dramas:

1 Litre of Tears: You know how everyone says you can't watch this drama without crying? They're not lying or joking. Even before the main character dies (which truthfully, doesn't make you cry as much as you'd think but mostly because you'd have cried so much you'll run out of tears) she'll have you in tears because what really makes this drama a tearjerker is the fact that it's a true story.
49 Days (even though it's on your On-Hold list): If you hate sad endings as much as I do, then avoid this drama. One of the main characters die, and although some people thought it was quite satisfying, I couldn't accept the ending and came up with one of my own to keep myself content.
Koizora: One of the main characters dies, but honestly I didn't cry at all and thought the drama and movie were quite boring.

I'm sorry that's all I can offer to you, but if I think of more I'll definitely come back to this thread and tell you! ^-^

Please keep me updated! I'll never grow out of this happy-ending habit.

I use the 'on-hold' list for any shows not yet released or if I can't find an english subbed copy of the complete series online. That way I don't keep coming back to them when I am browsing my 'to watch' list but I have every intention of watching them in the future. My sister is better at Japanese but she refuses to sub them for me *pout*. Instead she gives me an evil grin and hands me a book 'Japanese for busy people'.

I'll have to start dropping unwanted shows now - goodbye 49 days *waves*.
qosaathkaqyas wrote: Smile (Japanese)---Very emotional drama that sometimes made me mad at the world, lol, but everything works out in the end. Definitely worth the watch.

...and it has Matsujun in it... I've been avoiding this one purely out of uncertainty. Now I will gladly watch it. Thank you.
CharismaDoll wrote: Hello,
well i am the same with you (a sucker for happy endings :) ) so i noticed some dramas in your plan to watch list that i consider them "must watch" :
First of all Densha otoko -- a very sweet sotry and a happy ending (boy gets girl..)
Nodame Cantabile -- a story about a conductor and a pianist, is very sweet and comical and of course.... happy ending
Nobuta wo Produce -- although a nice drama, the ending was kind of disapointing for me (in the end every one split up to go their seperate ways)
Goong -- a classic story about a princess but a very good one
Dream High -- it's a brilliant drama and the end is not exactly happy ending (the boy and the girl did not live together forever) but it was a happy ending since every one was happy in the end :P
Shining inheretance and Stars falling from the sky -- great dramas (i think last year was a very good year for dramas) and when it finishes it will be very satisfying

I hope this helped!!

Yes, it has been a great help. I have many notes on my desktop (electronic - of course) separating the different dramas and movies into sub-categories which include 'must watch very soon', 'really good, but slightly sad', 'NEVER EVER WATCH UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES!' etc. This also shows I spend far too much time on asian movies and dramas... in some people's opinions...
aifa_najwa wrote: sad endings = main lead actress or main lead actor dies are

The snow queen
49 days
bad guy

Awesome romantic happy ending dramas are
Coffee prince
The greatest love
Secret Garden
Pride
Buzzer Beat

(this list is obviously from my watched list :P)

I like Coffee Prince and Secret Garden - these are typical examples of where I can survive the sudden emotional ups and downs because the ending makes me feel warm and safe. The other three sound good - thanks.