I've recently skipped through about half of Queen Seon Deok but even with the appearance of Kim Nam Gil and Uhm Tae Woong, I couldn't remain interested.

Could someone please recommend a historical drama or one from a past era?

Thanks in advance!
Why did you drop Queen Seon Deok? Most Sageuk are like that, so I'm not sure why do you want to watch Sageuk particularly? What kind of Sageuk are you looking for specifically? I see that you drop (or put on hold) some dramas that are of a "lighter" type of Sageuk like "The Moon that Embraces the Sun", "Faith", "Iljimae", etc. So, I'm not sure which one to recommend, but maybe check these out:

- Dae Jang Geum (The MOST popular Sageuk ever in Asia and beyond...)
- Jang Ok Jung, Live in Love
- Jumong
- Chuno
- Hwang Jin Yi
What are you waiting for? Watch Jumong and The Kingdom Of The Winds NOW!!!
Maybe a shorter sageuk will be better.

Try The Return of Iljimae. It's 24 episodes long and has a very good story. It's a sageuk with action and romance. You might like it. And don't worry, it's not a sequel, the title is just like that.
The Princesses' Man or perhaps Hong Gil Dong, if you want something cheesy to ease you into the genre.
Hong Gil Dong Iljimae Jumong (maybe too long) Chuno
Iljimae Dong Yi (a little long) The Moon Embracing Sun Dae jang Geum - sat through every single episode without skipping.
Try out: Return of Iljimae Damo The Princess's Man and Arang and the Magistrate - not a sageuk by definition, but a period drama. :)
rad_lisette wrote: Try out:

Return of Iljimae
Damo
The Princess's Man

and Arang and the Magistrate - not a sageuk by definition, but a period drama.

:)

What is the difference between a sageuk and period drama? I thought sageuk means period dramas or historical dramas (as in Fashion 70's and Gaksital are sageuks along with Return of Iljimae and The Princess' Man). Just asking because I might be using the word wrong hah.

By the way, totally agree with this list. All of them are worth a watch.
I am a Sageuk drama fans, hence, I've watched many of them. Here are the one I highly recommend: The Princess' Man, Jumong,A Tree with deep roots, Dong Yi, Iljimae, Jejoongwon and The Kingdom Of The Winds. Chuno and The Bridal Mask ( not my favorites but both are recommendable).
well you've already seen my two favorites ,Warrior Baek Dong Soo and Sungkyunkwan Scandal. I guess my third favorite is A Tree with Deep Roots.
cantiara wrote: Why did you drop Queen Seon Deok? Most Sageuk are like that, so I'm not sure why do you want to watch Sageuk particularly? What kind of Sageuk are you looking for specifically? I see that you drop (or put on hold) some dramas that are of a "lighter" type of Sageuk like "The Moon that Embraces the Sun", "Faith", "Iljimae", etc. So, I'm not sure which one to recommend, but maybe check these out:

- Dae Jang Geum (The MOST popular Sageuk ever in Asia and beyond...)
- Jang Ok Jung, Live in Love
- Jumong
- Chuno
- Hwang Jin Yi

Honestly, I'm not sure why I couldn't continue Queen Seon Deok. I may skip a few episodes and continue. Moon/Sun just got too strange and although I think Han Ga In is pretty, her acting leaves much to be desired. Same with Kim Hee Sun and why I put Faith on hold. Iljimae, I just didn't have the attention span for at the time. It didn't hook me in.

I like them for the drama and fantasy blended with history, plus the beautiful costumes. I think I'll look into Dae Jang Geum and Jumong or Chuno. Thanks!
I guess I should have mentioned first which dramas I've already seen.

Completed and loved:
Gaksital
Warrior Baek Dong Soo
Kim Soo Ro
Dong Yi
Sungkyunkwan Scandal
Princess's Man
Hong Gil Dong
Strongest Chilwoo
Painter In the Wind
Yaksa

Dropped:
Moon Embraces the Sun
Iljimae (more like on an extended hold)
Arang and the Magistrate (not that I didn't like it. got distracted by something else and forgot what episode I was on haha)
Faith

Maybe I should start with Tree With Deep Roots or Dae Jang Geum. Thanks everyone for your suggestions!
ricky wrote: Maybe a shorter sageuk will be better.

Try The Return of Iljimae. It's 24 episodes long and has a very good story. It's a sageuk with action and romance. You might like it. And don't worry, it's not a sequel, the title is just like that.

I've heard that Return of Iljimae is better than Iljimae. Thanks for the recommendation.
jumong yi san jewel in the palace sea god Hwang Jin Yi